Author Topic: The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)  (Read 14067 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)
« on: August 01, 2019, 06:24:11 AM »
I figured we should have a dedicated thread.

I'm about halfway through now, almost finished with episode 4. Started it last night, and wow, what a fun show. I wish it had a better name, and I don't like that most of the heroes are despicable, but there are so many shocking moments already that I thought were executed really well. 6 minutes into the first episode for example, that hooked me immediately. I'm already hoping for more seasons. Glad I started my free Amazon Prime trial in time for this!

I think Karl Urban is my favorite actor on the show. I just researched him because I recognized his face, apparently because he played Eomer in Lord of the Rings. I love his character.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:19 AM »
Through six episodes. It is a fun, twisted....interesting show. Probably wrap it up tonight .
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
Love it! Finished it last night and was wishing for more. It gets really dark and the characters are pretty twisted. Best part is what finally happens to Haley Joel Osment.  :o

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »
SPOILERS up to episode 7...

So I am LOVING this show... I love the whole bureaucracy and reality TV approach to managing superheroes and keeping their public images as pristine as possible. I also love how complicated the characters are and how the layers get peeled back with each episode, now I understand Homelander and co. were created to be superhumans and Homelander himself was basically a lab rat, but he infuriated me during that scene with the hijacked plane and how he didn't even try to save the 123 people on that flight. He sucks. I think the only supes I *don't* hate with all my heart are Maeve, Starlight, and Black Noir (if only because Black noir is little more than comic relief when he does show up, but that fight scene with Kimiko was pretty cool). Mesmer is a wimp.

Starlight has the best story in my opinion. She has great character development and a good arc, lots of obstacles to overcome and as a newbie she has to play smart but she sometimes tries to play a better hand than she actually has. Very excited to see where she goes. Also, Erin Moriarty is omg cute.

Billy is my favorite character on the show in general. Love him.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
Finished. Cool show....looks like they have a larger story to tell judging from the way it ends. I’ll definitely be watching future seasons.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
***SPOILERS***

One thing I liked about the show also was that there was a few loose ends out there that they mentioned....such as alluding to 'Lamplighter' killing the grand kids and the hiding of Homelander's kid.....that they didn't delve too far into and left for future exploration. I like the fact they didn't try to shoehorn the 'Lamplighter' story in as you have to assume there is more to his 'retirement'. And, i can't imagine that Homelander and Butcher for that matter are going to be too pleased about the fact that they decided to hide the wife/kid from them for 8 years.

Sets up some interesting possibilities for a second season. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
I nearly forgot to mention that I watched the whole season about two weeks ago.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what happened in the first few minutes of episode one!  :rollin  God, I love this show. It is completely up my alley, and I want more right fucking now! The "sinister baby" scene is my favorite moment on television. WTAFJH
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
This was such a fun show to binge. It reminded me a lot of The Watchmen with the gore, flawed characters, etc.. it was very entertaining and Karl Urban and Homelander were fantastic in them. I read season two is already shooting and should be on target to air next year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
Started it today, and after the last few days of travelling and family funerals, I'm in the perfect mood to sit on my ass and blow through the whole thing. I'll report back tomorrow night.

Homelander is the greatest hero name ever  :rollin

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
Absolutely loved this, already impatient to see what a second season brings.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »
Just finished the season.  What a fun show! Homelander is one sick and twisted fuck!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
Ok finished...so fucking good man. Each time I think they've pushed the dark and twisted envelope as far as they can, they push it back a little further, and always in the funniest possible way. For example, the whole story arc with Deep, and how he goes from being the sexual aggressor to being sexually assaulted (hysterically I might add) and when he finds some solace in trying to save the lobster, only to have it sliced open in front of him. Just brilliantly fucked up. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 06:43:41 AM »
Ok finished...so fucking good man. Each time I think they've pushed the dark and twisted envelope as far as they can, they push it back a little further, and always in the funniest possible way. For example, the whole story arc with Deep, and how he goes from being the sexual aggressor to being sexually assaulted (hysterically I might add) and when he finds some solace in trying to save the lobster, only to have it sliced open in front of him. Just brilliantly fucked up. :lol

...and then, and then, he decides to turn over a new leaf and rescue a dolphin from aquatic theme park he advertises for. During the escape, the dolphin makes inappropriate sexual advances to him, just before dying a horrible death when Deep messes up the get away.

:lol
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
Just brilliant stuff  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 06:59:04 AM »
This was a great first season, I thought. I read a volume of the comic book a long time ago but I didn't love it. I DID love the show, though. Can't wait for season 2.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 07:13:58 AM »
Can't wait for the 2nd season which is premiering on Sept 4th and this time they aren't dumping all episodes at once. 3 episodes get dumped first and then weekly release after.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 02:36:12 PM »
Season 3 already confirmed.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-boy-renewed-season-3-amazon-after-show-1234711666/

YES!!!

Did anyone see the promo with The Deep and the whale? I won't spoil anything but omg this is gonna be a fun season  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 06:07:35 AM »
So, DTF viewing party tonight for the first three episodes?  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »

Thought it starts September 4th on Prime?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 05:53:56 AM »

Thought it starts September 4th on Prime?

Yeah, Mrs. P laughed at me when I suggested we go watch it. "A month premature, Dear? That's a record for you isn't it?"

She's so fucking funny!  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »

You TV tease!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »
Mike, she followed that comment up with, "Why don't you just go back to playing your game, Honey."  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
Yes, simple man, I'll let you know when your silly TV show is on. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »
Mike, she followed that comment up with, "Why don't you just go back to playing your game, Honey."  :lol

"You just go murder Mongols until The Boys are ready for you."  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
So I was just flipping through my Fire TV and the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season popped on my feed. Watching it now, so far so good.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2020, 05:01:42 AM »
First 3 episodes were really great, sucks that we have to wait another week for the next episode. Man that Homelander character is something else.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2020, 05:34:44 AM »
Yeah, the Missus wanted to watch the last two episodes of last season. So we did and when episode 8 was finished it started up with S2E1! We were really surprised. Enjoyed episode 1, I'm looking forward to watching more tonight.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
Gonna binge them as soon as I'm off work.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2020, 05:24:55 AM »
Holy CRAP this show goes over the top sometimes and I love it. What a fantastic three episode start that was. Wow!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 06:16:54 PM »
The 5th and latest episode is the best yet in my opinion. They really got me with the Homelander fakeout. I love the acting in this show especially Starr as Homelander. He is a perfect villain and does an excellent job.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Yeah. Good episode. I was hoping that wasn’t a fake out......

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
I saw the scene in the preview and knew pretty quickly it was a fake out. The show has a lot of balls. But not balls THAT big.
fanticide.bandcamp.com