Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64876 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Epic Tortorella rant
« Reply #420 on: January 16, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
How much more rope do you guys think Claude Julien has?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
IMO, it's Bergevin that should be worried (though it'll probably be Claude that gets the axe first).  There's been a bunch of injuries, but ultimately, the talent on the team is caught between having to win now (with Price/Weber being their 2 biggest studs - 32 and 34 yrs old), and young talent that isn't quite the top of the A-list.  When Drouin and Gallagher are your top 2 guys... well, that's hardly McDavid/Draisitl, Marchand/Pasta, Matthews/Marner.

Problem is that the organization is still stuck on the requirement of a francophone GM and coach.  If they could get a Larry Robinson, would they?  Until they come off of that requirement, I don't know who would fill in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: January 16, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
Pretty sure Gallant speaks French.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #423 on: January 18, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »
I thought this was a cool thing to see.  Metallica presenting Tuukka Rask with a replica of Lars' drum set to commemorate 500 games played and Lars had a congratulation speech at the end of the video on the second tweet I've linked.

https://loudwire.com/nhl-goalie-boston-bruins-metallica-drum-set-500-games/

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1217976204491444224

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1217960903838138368

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
I sure hope Joe Thornton doesn't get traded, as I'd really like to see his career end on a bad Sharks team.  He's so old now that he has to resort to cheap shots to get noticed.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #425 on: January 23, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
Received a great surprise tonight when my sister in law called me and said her company had (1) extra ticket to their All Star Game suite this Saturday.....and.....she was giving it to me for my birthday  :metal

So, I get to attend my first All Star Game.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: January 23, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
Damn, bro....it just keeps going on and on!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: January 23, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »
Damn, bro....it just keeps going on and on!

I will take all I can get while I can.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #428 on: January 23, 2020, 08:54:23 PM »
Received a great surprise tonight when my sister in law called me and said her company had (1) extra ticket to their All Star Game suite this Saturday.....and.....she was giving it to me for my birthday  :metal

So, I get to attend my first All Star Game.

Awesome. Have fun, man! :tup :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: January 25, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »
That 3-3 match last night was fantastic!  And McDavid losing!?!?!  Wow.  Not surprised at Weber winning the hardest shot, but the speed.  Yowzers.  :omg:  Brave MF'rs that go in front of him to block a shot!

Did the US network air the McDavid injury documentary.  Very fascinating stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: January 25, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
Oh, and fuck, FUCK, FUUUUCK the puck tracker.  That fuckin shit was abominable when it was red and blue in the early 90s, and thankfully died a quick death.  Making it grey, and longer, and a shadow is even fucking worse.  jingle.son just told me the league plans to introduce it in the playoffs.  Are you fucking kidding me?  The new technology in the boards made things a little off putting as well.  That I think I can get used to.  The puck tracker, no fucking way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #431 on: January 25, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
Oh, and fuck, FUCK, FUUUUCK the puck tracker.  That fuckin shit was abominable when it was red and blue in the early 90s, and thankfully died a quick death.  Making it grey, and longer, and a shadow is even fucking worse.  jingle.son just told me the league plans to introduce it in the playoffs.  Are you fucking kidding me?  The new technology in the boards made things a little off putting as well.  That I think I can get used to.  The puck tracker, no fucking way.

Yeah, let's do the test phase in the playoffs. :eek :lol :lol

On occasion, I forgot why Bettman gets booed every year when presenting the Cup, and then something like this happens and I remember. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: January 25, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
I lost count around the 8th or 9th F bomb from Green Day.

Not sure if the NHL would be happy with that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #433 on: January 25, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »

I must have missed those, but I tuned them out after about 12 seconds. Cool at least to see a rock band used again for a change at these things, but I'm not a fan.

As for this All-Star game, these poor goalies don't have a prayer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #434 on: January 25, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »
Green Day is not really my thing, but I think they're a great band. It was nice that they were actually playing live as opposed to lip synching that you see in a lot of these types of performances.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Brett Hull not drunk on live TV for once
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2020, 08:35:04 PM »
Are you guys really watching the festivities?  It's lame.  Why waste your time?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »

I must have missed those, but I tuned them out after about 12 seconds. Cool at least to see a rock band used again for a change at these things, but I'm not a fan.

Doubt they made it on air. He must have said “Make some F’n Noise” a half dozen times.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »
They didn't make it on air. The sound went out a few times for a second or two each time. I turned to my son and said he's obviously using bad words.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »
Are you guys really watching the festivities?  It's lame.  Why waste your time?

It's on, but I have it muted and tunes cranking while I waste time on a prog metal message board. :P

Doubt they made it on air. He must have said “Make some F’n Noise” a half dozen times.

I'll have to ask my dad. I know he is watching.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
 :lol

Just telling Gary through a text I was there for both the skills and the game in 96 watching Bourque score the winner in OT in 1996.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
Ray Bourque  :heart

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
That two year contract with Green Day is definitely void after tonight :lol What do you expect from Green Day. I’m surprised they didn’t get political

I thought it was all in good fun. It wasn’t censored on the Canadian Broadcast
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »

I loved Bourque and Cam Neeley growing up. Every NHL game I played on a gaming system in the 90’s I had to be Boston due to those two.

Nothing beats watching Ray Bourque in the sharp shooting drill blowing those styrofoam targets to pieces. Speaking of which.....the digital targets need to go. Being back the styrofoam targets that explode into hundred of pieces when hit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:21 AM »
On occasion, I forgot why Bettman gets booed every year when presenting the Cup, and then something like this happens and I remember.

Every year, Ron McLean has a pretty long 1:1 interview with Bettman during the the ASG.  I always find them pretty interesting and informative.  Last night, jingle.daughter asks "is that the guy that always gets booed"  :lol  Yup, that's him sweetie.  I got to thinking .... by-and-large, I believe Bettman has done more good for hockey than bad - one comment last night was the game has never been faster, more equal, more competitive, more exciting, younger.  I agree with all that, BUT .... for many (myself included), he will always be the guy that cost the fans two half seasons, and one full season.  So yeah, he'll ALWAYS get booed by the fans.

re: Green Day's f-bombs... dunno if the Cdn feed was truly live, or the audio engineer was out for a smoke break, but for the 30 seconds that I tuned in for it, we got a clear as day "raise your fuckin hands!"

I loved Bourque and Cam Neeley growing up. Every NHL game I played on a gaming system in the 90’s I had to be Boston due to those two.

Nothing beats watching Ray Bourque in the sharp shooting drill blowing those styrofoam targets to pieces. Speaking of which.....the digital targets need to go. Being back the styrofoam targets that explode into hundred of pieces when hit.

I'm with you 100% on both of these statements Gary.  On Friday, there was at least 1 pretty glaring glitch.  Can't remember who, but he was about a foot off the target, and it 'crumbled' (or whatever the fuck that graphic was).

The goalies fared pretty good this year.  No one lit up like Gibson last year... didn't he give up 7 goals on 9 or something like that??  Has anyone heard his name as an elite goalie since?  Mind you, he does play for the Ducks.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2020, 06:50:14 AM »

I loved Bourque and Cam Neeley growing up.

Ray Bourque had this was of knocking a guy into the second row AND stealing the puck simultaneously.

Every year, Ron McLean has a pretty long 1:1 interview with Bettman during the the ASG.  I always find them pretty interesting and informative.  Last night, jingle.daughter asks "is that the guy that always gets booed"  :lol  Yup, that's him sweetie.  I got to thinking .... by-and-large, I believe Bettman has done more good for hockey than bad - one comment last night was the game has never been faster, more equal, more competitive, more exciting, younger.  I agree with all that, BUT .... for many (myself included), he will always be the guy that cost the fans two half seasons, and one full season.  So yeah, he'll ALWAYS get booed by the fans.

Maybe I don't know enough about the work stoppages, but I think the game is fantastic now. Was it about greed, or was it resetting the game economically, which is probably the same thing. :lol

I actually love the shift in contracts where players in the prime are getting paid as opposed to players past their prime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2020, 07:44:54 PM »
A rumor has been floating around up here that the new Seattle team will be the Kraken. No word yet if the arena will be called the 'Krak House', or if fans will be called 'Krak Heads.' Doesn't sound too appropriate, especially for a city drowning in opiods.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
Oy my God, that sounds ridiculous.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2020, 10:07:08 PM »
Most of the proposed names don’t resonate with me. Sockeyes kinda does, Renegades is generic but kinda cool. I like Seattle Rainiers and Firebirds as well. But most are kinda boring. Then again, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Golden Knights at first, then it grew on me
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
I don't follow hockey so haven't really followed this story locally. I don't even know what the proposed/suggested names are.

Will be interesting to see how well we take to the NHL up here. We aren't the most rabid sports fans. We love our Seahawks, but many people who consider themselves fans couldn't name a Seahawk who predates 2005. We go to Mariners games because the field is a nice venue for gathering for some brews on a summer afternoon/evening, not because their playoff drought is old enough to serve in the military. We lost the NBA over 10 years ago. Sounders fans are the most passionate of any MLS team. But soccer is still a bit of a niche sports demographic.

Edit... A couple days in and the debate is hot over the name, and it is still just a rumor. People seem to either love it or hate it. Either way they are passionate about how the feel.

Lots of people like Sockeyes (or Sockeye). It has a cool punch to it (as in sock you right in the eyes). But it is a freaking fish. And not even a cool or fierce one. It's a freaking salmon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:10:59 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hockey fans rejoice as Red Wings lose again
« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts about the Barclays Center (sections to avoid or things like that) and/or places to eat nearby?

Just avoid the interior and exterior and you'll have a great time.

:lol :lol

Seriously though, I've never been, but there is a reason why it's pretty brand new and yet the Islanders are moving out, it's supposedly awful for hockey. Check some hockey or islanders forums on it, there are entire sections that you're supposed to stay away from.

The game was this afternoon.  I got a single seat about 20-25 rows up from the glass in the corner at the end where the Islanders shoot twice.  It was row six of the section, but the row was right behind the glass above the entry from the concourse, so I had no one in front of me.  AND, I had seat four, but no one was in seats 1-3 or seat 5, so all that was great.

I'm staying at a hotel only one train stop from the Barclay's center, and the subway exit spits you out right in front of the arena, so getting there was a snap.  The arena was quite nice.  It was significantly colder than I'm used to at Staples Center and the Pond (Honda Center) in Anaheim.  The weirdest thing was that 75% of the seats at the other end of the ice were closed off, which reminded me of a minor league game or when the Kings used to host the Frozen Fury preseason games at the MGM Grand arena in Vegas.

It was a giveaway day, so I got a primarily orange "Hawaiian" shirt that I may never wear.  The Islanders came back from a 1-3 deficit and tied it with about 25 seconds left in regulation -- only to lose about 25 seconds into OT.  All in all, an excellent experience for a neutral fan, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone in the area.  Just stay away from the end where the visitor shoots twice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: February 01, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
We're going to see the Bruins play at the Nassau Coliseum later this month.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »
Wait.  The Islanders play a few games there still?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: February 01, 2020, 08:36:25 PM »
Yeah, I think they split the season. Not sure if Long Islanders have splurged for a new arena. LudwigVan can speak to it much better.

Saw Metallica there in 1991.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: February 01, 2020, 09:12:32 PM »
The Blues are in a bit of a funk there, eh?

Leafs squeezed out 2 points against Ottawa with a OT PPG from Marner.  They don't ask how, just how many (points).  I'll take the W, even though it was a little nerve-racking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: February 01, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
Yep, rough week for the Blues post-All Star break, but it's a long season. I would rather hit a rough patch now than in April.