Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64961 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #980 on: August 16, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
With a newborn and another young child at home, he clearly wasn’t mentally ‘there’. Frankly, I’m surprised there aren’t more situations like this.

It’s going on with St. Louis. Petrangelo has young triplets and his wife is due to give birth in a month.....and you can see he’s not all there.

Great foresight by the refs to screw his wife 8 months ago to set this up. When I say the officials are committed to fucking the Blues I mean it!

:lol   The league is committed to sticking it to the Blues.

But seriously......you’d think a lot of the players time their kids coming into the world to happen during the off-season.....which would be now. I’d think we’d see more players maybe opting to be home for their kids birth?

Lars Eller just came into the bubble having been with his wife on the birth of their child.  So yeah, I would think this happens fairly regularly - in all sports.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #981 on: August 16, 2020, 03:20:12 PM »
This may sound petty (and it probably is), but I hope the Golden Knights can sweep the Blackhawks today, so I can feel a little better about the Golden Knights sweeping the Kings back in 2018.  If that happens, at least they can go on and say they have swept two muti-winning cup teams in the last decade.

Edit: Dang it, Blackhawks won that one. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:13:13 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: August 17, 2020, 05:40:04 AM »
Big goal for the Blues last night.  Beauty of a shot by Schenn.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #983 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »
Big goal for the Blues last night.  Beauty of a shot by Schenn.

If they'd keep Vancouver off the Power Play this wouldn't even be a series. Dominating 5v5 play. Vancouver is 7/11 on the PP and they have a short handed goal. BIG game tonight. Have to capitalize on the momentum and even this thing up.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online pg1067

« Reply #984 on: August 17, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
This may sound petty (and it probably is), but I hope the Golden Knights can sweep the Blackhawks today, so I can feel a little better about the Golden Knights sweeping the Kings back in 2018.  If that happens, at least they can go on and say they have swept two muti-winning cup teams in the last decade.

Edit: Dang it, Blackhawks won that one.

The Kings were four years removed from their second Cup, and the Hawks are now five years removed from their last one.  The 2018 Kings had the same core players from the Cup seasons, but they had already started their slide, and that Knights team was just ridiculous as a result of the expansion draft rules.  And you can't ascribe any larger meaning to anything that happens this postseason.

I'm also of the opposite mind on this stuff.  In 2015, when the Mets beat the Dodgers in the NLDS, I pulled hard for the Cubs in the NLCS.  Someone chided me, saying, "you want the team that beat your team to win it all so you can say you lost to the best."  Absolutely not!  I almost always want the team that beats my team to lose ingloriously (that's one reason why I enjoyed the 1985 World Series so much).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: August 17, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
Apparently James Reimer was wearing his Maple Leafs underoos underneath his Canes' uniform.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #986 on: August 17, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
After 2 periods I expected a loss tonight. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: August 18, 2020, 06:15:56 AM »
Apparently James Reimer was wearing his Maple Leafs underoos underneath his Canes' uniform.

I said something along those lines to jingle.son (Canes are 'his' team)... "That was a very Reimer-esque 3rd period performance".

For a team that could shut down one of the best offenses in the league when they had a 42-year old zamboni driver between the pipes, they sure looked pretty loose last night against a Pasta-less lineup.

Online pg1067

« Reply #988 on: August 18, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
That Bruins game was crazy last night.  When it was 2-1, I went to make food.  When I went back to sit down, it was 4-2, and the Canes had their goalie pulled.  Holy crap!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #989 on: August 18, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
Tarasenko returned to St. Louis to get his (twice) surgically repaired shoulder re-evaluated :huh:   I fear his career may be over....or at minimum severely altered now. He's done nothing but perform in the playoffs in his career....been a beast of a scorer and player.....but this being his second severe injury to the same shoulder and now having complications is not very good news for him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: August 18, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
NHL lost a modern era legend. RIP Dale Hawerchuk. Nice tribute - https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dale-hawerchuks-quiet-brilliance-made-winnipeg-canada-winner/

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #991 on: August 19, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »
So we all know that playoff hockey is something completely different than the regular season. We also know that Olympic hockey is in a different universe.

Question - is it time to expand the NHL rink dimensions to match the Olympic dimensions which if I am correct (and I may not be correct) the rink size for the Olympics is based on what other countries use in their leagues.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #992 on: August 19, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »
So we all know that playoff hockey is something completely different than the regular season. We also know that Olympic hockey is in a different universe.

Question - is it time to expand the NHL rink dimensions to match the Olympic dimensions which if I am correct (and I may not be correct) the rink size for the Olympics is based on what other countries use in their leagues.
Olympic rink size is typically dependent on the host country. All the European rinks are what would be considered 'olympic size' but the years the games were hosted in NA, they just used the NHL rinks. Not likely the NHL would want to switch to a bigger rink given that all minor hockey rinks are 'NHL sized' which would create a difference in how kids learn to play as they move through minor hockey levels and what they would experience if they achieved professional levels. The cost to retrofit all the rinks to olympic size would be astronimical. Also, from the owners perspective it would mean fewer seats in the lower bowl which would reduce revenue. Those are likely valid enough reasons without getting into the debate of whether hockey on the larger rinks is better/worse from a fan perspective than the smaller rinks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: August 19, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
Yeah, the revenue loss make it a resounding no.

The Bruins over the past summer redid the seats.  What they didn't tell the fans was that the seats were smaller and they added one seat to each row. Also less leg room. Huge complaints from fans about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online pg1067

« Reply #994 on: August 19, 2020, 03:45:30 PM »

In a word, no, because why should we?

If other countries jumped off a cliff should we also do so?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #995 on: August 19, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »

Easy - because it would make the US and US hockey more competitive. Don't ask why shouldn't we - ask why we should. If they could figure out the revenue thing then it wouldn't be hard to expand the arenas. It's only 15 feet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 19, 2020, 04:53:45 PM »
Onto the next round!!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #997 on: August 19, 2020, 05:02:58 PM »

Easy - because it would make the US and US hockey more competitive. Don't ask why shouldn't we - ask why we should. If they could figure out the revenue thing then it wouldn't be hard to expand the arenas. It's only 15 feet.

The logic that it would make the US better is pretty flawed when you consider that Canada is the team to beat internationally, and we play on NHL (more accurately, North American) sized rinks here.

Widespread support at the grassroots level is how the US gets better. That's how it works in all the powerhouse hockey nations. I believe the US has been getting better at the national level, and you can see it in the increased numbers meeting drafted out of the US National Development Program.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #998 on: August 19, 2020, 05:03:34 PM »

With all due respect, compete against what? The Swedish elite league? The KHL? The NHL can barely be arsed to send a team to the Olympics.

Where is the motivation for the NHL to put out a product that their fans will find to be a less attractive alternative?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #999 on: August 19, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »
Onto the next round!!

They ain't getting by Tampa.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: August 19, 2020, 05:56:35 PM »
Onto the next round!!

They ain't getting by Tampa.

Dont have to worry about them yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1001 on: August 19, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
I guess we're rooting for Washington. Or Montreal.

Wow, those choices suck. :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1002 on: August 19, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/massive-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-bracket-takes-over-sir-winston-churchill-square-1.5071248

I guess the built a playoff bracket in the public square outside our city hall down the road from the Bubble.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: August 19, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »

No, we play the winner of Isles/Caps.  It's bracketed.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: August 19, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »

No, we play the winner of Isles/Caps.  It's bracketed.

They're not re-seeding like they did after the play-in?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: August 19, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
It looks like its bracketed but I may be wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: August 19, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »

No, we play the winner of Isles/Caps. 

Yeah, if Montreal wins..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: August 19, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »
No, I just read up. It does get reseated like Chad said.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: August 19, 2020, 06:39:06 PM »
No, I just read up. It does get reseated like Chad said.

So when Philly and Isles finish things of, then it's Bs/Lightning.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1009 on: August 19, 2020, 06:40:40 PM »
Reseated?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: August 19, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »
No, Philly is #1. Lightning is #2 seed.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1011 on: August 19, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
Yes, thank you. 

I'll assume it's Philly and Nick and I will be harassing each other.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: August 19, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
 :lol

Tim, it's a stupid set up but I understand teams needed to get the rust off of them.