Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64520 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #910 on: August 11, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »
Watching a Netflix show waiting. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #911 on: August 11, 2020, 06:15:38 PM »
Watching a Netflix show waiting. Lol

WTF?? It's quadruple OT. What the hell is so exciting on Netflix?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #912 on: August 11, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Tampa has way more jump than Columbus, even as the 4th OT ends.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #913 on: August 11, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »
Apparently the Blue Jackets and Lightning are playing a double header today, so the Bruins won't probably won't start until 9 or so.

AM?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #914 on: August 11, 2020, 06:51:10 PM »
Apparently the Blue Jackets and Lightning are playing a double header today, so the Bruins won't probably won't start until 9 or so.

AM?

And within minutes of posting that the game is officially pushed to 11:00am. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #915 on: August 11, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »
11AM to be exact. Fuck. I'll be working..

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #916 on: August 11, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »
Never thought in my lifetime that I would witness a 5 OT game.  I want to see Tampa pull off 100 shots on goal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #917 on: August 11, 2020, 07:11:00 PM »
Never thought in my lifetime that I would witness a 5 OT game.  I want to see Tampa pull off 100 shots on goal.

....and lose. :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #918 on: August 11, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »

You are making me feel old...I remember watching the 5OT Phi/Pit game, and I was a year out of college at that point!  :lol
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #919 on: August 11, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »

You are making me feel old...I remember watching the 5OT Phi/Pit game, and I was a year out of college at that point!  :lol

I don’t remember that game. I do vividly remember watching all of NYI/Wash tho.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #920 on: August 11, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »

....and lose. :lol

Ooops..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: August 11, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »
Snd yet I enjoyed what I watched Tim. Ha ha.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2020, 05:15:32 AM »
So did I. You missed a great game by watching some show written with dialog that no one would actually say to each other in a setting that would never happen.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »
So did I. You missed a great game by watching some show written with dialog that no one would actually say to each other in a setting that would never happen.

I only had the chance to watch the 4th and 5th OT.  Boy were they all tired.  You could even tell the men in stripes were struggling.  Korpisala and Vasilevsky were incredible.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #924 on: August 12, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »

I only had the chance to watch the 4th and 5th OT.  Boy were they all tired.  You could even tell the men in stripes were struggling.  Korpisala and Vasilevsky were incredible.

The talking heads on NBC's coverage can slow motion and explain all they want that Hedman taking down Atkinson wasn't a penalty......but you'll never convince me that it wasn't a penalty. Slow motion replays aren't what the refs see and that play in real time was a penalty all day long....ESPECIALLY after the crap they've been calling since the bubble play started. I'd be furious if I were a Columbus fan.

That being said that was a great game.....great to watch and just an awesome effort by all.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #925 on: August 12, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »

I remember that one.  I was in law school, and it was gripping watching one team get a surge of energy, and then the other team would match it.  Longest game in modern NHL history (the two 6-OT games were in the 1930s).  Oddly, I remember that one better than the more recent Dallas v. Anaheim 5-OT game.  That was before I hated the Sucks, and that playoff run of theirs in 2003 was epic.  Unfortunately, I missed yesterday's game because I was at work.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: August 12, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »

The talking heads on NBC's coverage can slow motion and explain all they want that Hedman taking down Atkinson wasn't a penalty......but you'll never convince me that it wasn't a penalty. Slow motion replays aren't what the refs see and that play in real time was a penalty all day long....ESPECIALLY after the crap they've been calling since the bubble play started. I'd be furious if I were a Columbus fan.

That's hilarious, cuz the four CBC/SportsNet analysts were 3-vs-1 that it WAS a penalty, leaning towards a penalty shot.  And the 3 were adamant about it.  I dunno man... I mean, Hedman has a big reach and stick, and used his right side to reach around and go for the puck.  Atkinson lost control of the puck, and then fell (perhaps partially cuz Hedman was leaning on him).  It's 50/50 at best (in my eyes).  Not the kind of call that would/should be a penalty shot in OT.  Penalty alone ... debatable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #927 on: August 12, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
Well, when it happened, it certainly looked like a penalty. But the ref was right there, and watching it in slo mo, I don't see a hold, a hook, or a trip. I think it was a good non call, but I agree, if you're Columbus you've seen less than that called. I bet if it's in the first perios, the arm may have gone up.  But in the end, it looked clean to me.

And to be consistent, the Bruins were gifted a similar call towards the end of the 1st OT today, when the dude "took down" Coyle.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: August 12, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
The more perplexing play was that 2-1 goal.  How the hell is that allowed?  If it's concluded not to be a hand pass because Mrazek had control, then it's goalie interference for digging out a covered puck.  The on-ice explanation ... not a hand pass because "there was control and possession by the goaltender" verifies this.  The ruling to only review one specific challenge is BS - a play can have more than one reviewable event, and to put the onus on the coach to pick which event he wants to challenge is crap. The purpose of reviews is to get the call right - no matter what or how many circumstances might be contributing to the botched call.

Brind'Amour didn't hold any punches.  Under the rules of challenges, I get it... it's a goal.  Under the rules of the game, it shouldn't have been a goal.

Now, the hockey Gods spoke on that ruling pretty damned quick, so there's that.  Canes didn't play as good as they needed to to get that win.  Bruins look closer to their regular season form.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #929 on: August 12, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
Canes didn't play as good as they needed to to get that win.  Bruins look closer to their regular season form.

I think "control" was the wrong word to say. He touched it, which negates the hand pass. But he wasn't in control. I have seen quicker whistles so there's that.

The Bruins still haven't found their game yet. The Canes seemed to have better legs throughout. The only team 5-8 that would've concerned me is Columbus. But I think the Top 4 seeds are getting through.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: August 12, 2020, 06:54:46 PM »
I think the only guarantee is Philly.  The other three could go either way, imo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #931 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
I think the only guarantee is Philly.  The other three could go either way, imo.

I don't know. I can't believe the Lightning are going to lose again to Columbus.

Same with the Caps to the Isles, Game 1 not withstanding. The Bruins are NOT losing to Carolina.

I see the Flames beating the Stars, but that's the only upset I see there.

I also think it's an Avs-Bolts Finals.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #932 on: August 12, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »
Well, I just finished watching a 42 minute video that talked about the history of the Leafs for the last 53 years.  Holy moly.  I don't know how their fans can tolerate this team, especially with the first half of that period that revolved around what looked to be a piece of s*** owner.  As a more casual fan of hockey in general, I only know the things that happened to them recently (losing to the Bruins in 7 games at TD Garden in the first round three times, committing half the cap salary to four players alone, losing to their Zamboni driver that's an emergency goalie, and the recent failure in the Columbus series), but honestly, I think I would rather see that team suffer those kinds from today's periods to what they suffered in various periods in the last 50 years.  That looked like pretty rough stuff that you never wish a franchise on.  Offering lowball offers to players and scouts, owner's a piece of s***, etc.  Here's the video I watched.

The Toronto Maple Leafs: A Half-Century of Failure

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #933 on: August 12, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
I know it didn't seem like it at first, but regarding the Weber-Subban trade, Weber is playing great, and Subban is....not.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »
Harold Ballard is arguably the worst owner ever in the NHL.  The fanbase virtually celebrated his death.

BTW, that video is hauntingly accurate.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: August 13, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
I'm just never going to get over the 'what could have been'.....sorry guys. It's driving me insane. Healthy....Firing on all cylinders....dominating teams and playing your game heading into the playoffs full of teams in your conference who were beat up and missing players....it was set up for a deep run and very real chance at a repeat.

The Blues game of beating down opponents is based off those opponents having just endured a long season. This format nixed that. They won last year because they rolled 4 lines at you hard.....our 4th line last night had three players that wouldn't even had made the playoff roster. It's a mess. Binnington let in three really soft goals and the Blues pulled the ol' "let's make this rookie goalie look like a veteran Brodeur".

Whatever happens happens I guess....at this point I'll watch and hope for the best.....by no means do I think that Vancouver is going to run away with the series. Last nights game was a clear example of a team who heavily benefited from having just played real games in a real playoff series and a team who played some warm up games. I think the Blues will be fine. Just can't stop being  :censored off about corona stealing the real season from us.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #936 on: August 13, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
Jeesh Gary. Go cry in your Stanley Cup, man.

The Bruins were cruising too. It is what it is.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: August 13, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
Philly was cruisin too... and still are.

Leafs were inconsistent ... and still are.

Git ur head out your ass man... all this "what could've been" talk is nothing but wishful thinking.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »

Git ur head out your ass man... all this "what could've been" talk is nothing but wishful thinking.

I know, I know......that's the last time I'll whine about it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: August 13, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »

I know, I know......that's the last time I'll whine about it.

It's all good man... my response was playful razzing (which I'm sure you know).  At least you've got something to lament about!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #940 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »
Also, there's been many a President's Trophy winner that went out in the 1st round, so regular season dominance doesn't really mean anything in the post-season. Just ask the Capitals about it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: August 13, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
Also, there's been many a President's Trophy winner that went out in the 1st round, so regular season dominance doesn't really mean anything in the post-season. Just ask the Capitals about it.

I know. Blues were one of those. (Thanks for showing up Roman Turek)

I was just lamenting the fact that they were in sync and playing the style of game perfectly that won them a cup....their opponents were beat up and they looked good.

I get that didn’t mean an automatic Cup or appearance in the Final but it was more likely than not.

Now it’s just like every other year.....oh well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »
The Habs release a press release because Claude Julian has a heart condition and Kirk Mueller who won a Stanley Cup with the Habs is the intern and they apologize because he doesn't speak French.

What a bunch of A-Holes that they have to have a preemptive strike on this in a press release.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #943 on: August 13, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
The Habs release a press release because Claude Julian has a heart condition and Kirk Mueller who won a Stanley Cup with the Habs is the intern and they apologize because he doesn't speak French.

What a bunch of A-Holes that they have to have a preemptive strike on this in a press release.
In case you didn't know, Quebec is horribly over protective of their French language and culture. They have strict laws about all things non-french.

The media there mercilessly trolled Randy Cunneyworth when he took over mid season as interim coach because he couldn't speak French.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: August 13, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
I live in N.H. I've been in Montreal more times than I can count. I know all about it. This is a special situation.   Yet, that's more important than the coach's health and the playoff series.