Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64980 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #875 on: August 07, 2020, 07:22:29 AM »
On the bright side, the Blues could end up with Chicago in the first round. That's a pretty favorable match up

That’d be a fun series.....but I could totally see a Chicago.....a team that was not making the playoffs until this format......beating them just because that’s the way these things usually work  :lol

But honestly......I think there are some teams who are taking the ‘seeeding’ games more seriously than others. Multiple Blues players have said they don’t care who they play because you have to beat the good teams to advance so I don’t think they’ve been 100% yet......which is indicated also by the Coaching staffs choice of wardrobe. They’re still in zip up jackets and casual clothes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #876 on: August 07, 2020, 07:26:52 AM »
Same with the Bruins, Gary. As much as the NHL tried (and I'm not criticizing them) to tie some importance to these round robin seeding games, it really doesn't matter. But you just can't be playing like ass going into the next series against a team that is already playoff primed.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: August 07, 2020, 07:45:36 AM »
Same with the Bruins, Gary. As much as the NHL tried (and I'm not criticizing them) to tie some importance to these round robin seeding games, it really doesn't matter. But you just can't be playing like ass going into the next series against a team that is already playoff primed.

I’m only clinging to the hope that once they click and sync up......they’re close.....that they’ll fall back into place. But, this situation is WAY different than any other and honestly the human element could come into it. The players may not be fully committed to a three month absence from their families after the grueling Cup run and busy off season of last year? Who knows?

No matter what through there’s gonna be some good hockey played and it’ll be fun to watch.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #878 on: August 07, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
Penguins are out.  Montreal is still in.  Don't think anyone actually envisioned this happening back in March.

Edit: Wait.  Also, Coyotes is still in and the Predators are not?  I hate this crapshoot format.  Somehow all the perceived better teams are going to get out, first, and one of those team's is going to scoop #1 and then go on a tear next season.  The Oilers may join that group as well.............. oiafdjdsajoadjfoosaf.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
Penguins are out.  Montreal is still in.  Don't think anyone actually envisioned this happening back in March.

Edit: Wait.  Also, Coyotes is still in and the Predators are not?  I hate this crapshoot format.  Somehow all the perceived better teams are going to get out, first, and one of those team's is going to scoop #1 and then go on a tear next season.  The Oilers may join that group as well.............. oiafdjdsajoadjfoosaf.

Crapshoot is a great term for it. The entire tournament is a crap shoot.....more so than it has ever been. Sure, in the playoffs in the past there was the chance to run into a 'hot' goalie or team or a lesser seed would upset a higher seed in the first round.....but this unique situation with everyone starting at square one basically doesn't 'play well' for some teams. Teams like Chicago, Montreal and Arizona have nothing to lose and are making the most of it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #880 on: August 07, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »
Unless Price continues to carry the Habs, they're going to get absolutely power fucked against Tampa or Philly. They have almost no offensive talent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #881 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:01 PM »
It's taken me a bit to get acclimated but I am into this tournament. There's been some excellent games all day today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #882 on: August 07, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
I had to thank a Habs fan today for knocking out that crybaby Crosby.  I feel dirty.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #883 on: August 07, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
I like Crosby.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #884 on: August 07, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
Cripes, where the Leafs get all of this urgency from?  They managed to come back from the dead when it was 3-0 with 4 minutes left in their season.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:38:11 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:11 PM »
Cripes, where the Leafs get all of this urgency from?  They managed to come back from the dead when it was 3-0 with 3 minutes left.

Oh shit, I switched over to the Sox . Wow..

That was Bruins-esque. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #886 on: August 07, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
As much as the Leafs were gifted that PP in OT, Columbus cannot give up 3 goals in the last 5 mins and complain.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #887 on: August 07, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
So, the body is still somehow alive for the Leafs and has become a zombie.  Like the Blackhawks and the Canadiens, you give a team some form of hope even if you write the obituary, they will come back kicking.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #888 on: August 07, 2020, 09:52:57 PM »
As much as the Leafs were gifted that PP in OT, Columbus cannot give up 3 goals in the last 5 mins and complain.

If you watch the replay, Foligno poked his stick into Rielly's heel, causing him to lift his foot and step on the skate.  I'm not sure it was a gift... it was 50/50 call.  The Leafs PP was only 1-for-whatever the whole series.  They made good on their opportunity - just as CBJ had made good on their opportunities.

What a roller coaster the last 24 hours has been!  Sunday ought to be rather thrilling.

I'm not overly impressed that both #5 seeds aren't even going to get into the show, but given the way each of them played, they probably weren't going to get far anyway.  The bigger cluster is just what I said earlier - there's a 25% chance that a Top 10 team in the league is going to walk away with the #1 pick.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #889 on: August 08, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
The Flyers look fucking good, that is all.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #890 on: August 08, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
The Flyers look fucking good, that is all.

Hopefully they don't blow their load in these meaningless games.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #891 on: August 09, 2020, 09:15:37 AM »

Crapshoot is a great term for it. The entire tournament is a crap shoot.....more so than it has ever been. Sure, in the playoffs in the past there was the chance to run into a 'hot' goalie or team or a lesser seed would upset a higher seed in the first round.....but this unique situation with everyone starting at square one basically doesn't 'play well' for some teams. Teams like Chicago, Montreal and Arizona have nothing to lose and are making the most of it.

Doesn’t that make it more exciting though? Coming from a guy who’s favorite team got swept out of the qualifier round, it’s been really fun to see what some of these fringe playoff teams have been able to do. All of these teams were fighting for a playoff spot at season’s end anyway so it’s not like they had no right to be here.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: August 09, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »

Doesn’t that make it more exciting though? Coming from a guy who’s favorite team got swept out of the qualifier round, it’s been really fun to see what some of these fringe playoff teams have been able to do. All of these teams were fighting for a playoff spot at season’s end anyway so it’s not like they had no right to be here.

Oh yeah......it is more exciting. For sure. My point is, now more than ever......ANY team in it still has just as good a chance to win it. The ‘pause’ set everything back to equal. Historically the old adage was that once the playoffs started it was a new season but that was just more or less a fun saying as ‘most’ of the lower seeds were gonna lose.

Now it literally is at square one and anyone’s Cup to win. There absolutely SHOULDNT be an asterisk next to this eventual cup winner because this Cup may actually be one of the hardest Cups to win

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: August 09, 2020, 01:16:05 PM »
I guess my (very minor) beef is that a few of these teams, while not having been mathematically eliminated pre-shutdown, realistically had no shot at making the playoffs. Chicago and Montreal especially. It nullifies any importance of the regular season. Look, any team that wins 16 games anppover four series absolutely deserves the cup, so even if Mtl or Chi win it, I’m ok with that.  But I’m one small regard, they shouldn’t have been allowed into the dance. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: August 09, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
I guess my (very minor) beef is that a few of these teams, while not having been mathematically eliminated pre-shutdown, realistically had no shot at making the playoffs. Chicago and Montreal especially. It nullifies any importance of the regular season. Look, any team that wins 16 games anppover four series absolutely deserves the cup, so even if Mtl or Chi win it, I’m ok with that.  But I’m one small regard, they shouldn’t have been allowed into the dance.

Agreed. Those two teams especially were not going to make the playoffs. Chicago was trading assets and players to prep for next season. Like you said......winning (16) games to take the cup is hard and if they do it then good on them.....but for them to even have been here is questionable

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: August 09, 2020, 03:31:14 PM »
Montreal was a fire sale too at the trade deadline.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: August 09, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
Blues dropped them ball again 

And there were (11) penalties called in the game and all but one were horse shit calls. The league better address this officiating before the real games start.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #897 on: August 09, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
I mean after what we saw on Friday, at least, this Game 5 kept me in suspense.  Makes things pretty exciting.  Tough luck, Leafs.

Leafs, Penguins, Oilers, Predators, Jets, Wilds, Rangers, Panthers in the draft lottery for tomorrow.  I'm rooting for Wilds or Rangers to win it.  I think they are the only teams that I'm not non-excited of seeing get #1.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: August 10, 2020, 05:07:46 AM »
Just as Babs always said, will beat skill.  This team that Dubas constructed is built well for the regular season.  They can lay down 35 wins in their sleep - on skill alone.  Once the intensity ramps up, and they run into teams like CBJ (who reminded me of 90s/00s era NJD... they were absolutely smothering), they're toast. Doesn't help that Korpisala was punching way out of his weight class.  He made several incredible saves, naturally - winning 2 of the three games by shutout.

It'll be interesting to see what Dubas can possibly do to reconstruct portions of this team.  The only cap help they get is that Barrie and Ceci are both UFAs - that frees up $7.2M, but that's not a lot.  There's no way he can/will trade any of the 'big-4', because it would be an admission that his strategy was wrong.  He might as well ask Shanny to fire him first.  jingle.son thinks he should leave Nylander exposed in the expansion draft next year.  Might not be a bad idea.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »
Rangers get the #1 pick. I’m just happy it wasn’t the Preds or Winnipeg.....

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #900 on: August 10, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »
I'm happy as well that it didn't go the Oilers and it's nice for once to get a pick right unlike other times in life I made a pick and it landed wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #901 on: August 10, 2020, 10:22:16 PM »
Well that’s one way to cheer me up after the sweep. Holy hell this is exciting!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: August 11, 2020, 05:47:57 AM »
Well that’s one way to cheer me up after the sweep. Holy hell this is exciting!

You guys ought to be a power house in a couple of years.  Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Lafreniere, Trouba/Staal, Shisterkin... nice looking core of players.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #903 on: August 11, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
Gross :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #904 on: August 11, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
Oh wow.  I didn't realize that the Rangers will have two 1st round picks this year.  They got it from Carolina in the trade deadline period along with #1

Also, Toronto doesn't have a 1st round pick due to trading Patrick Marleau last summer to Carolina and they needed to get top 10 in the draft to retain that pick.  Leafs got socked in the end there as a result of that trade and lottery.  That's nothing new to them right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: August 11, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »
Oh wow.  I didn't realize that the Rangers will have two 1st round picks this year.  They got it from Carolina in the trade deadline period along with #1

Also, Toronto doesn't have a 1st round pick due to trading Patrick Marleau last summer to Carolina and they needed to get top 10 in the draft to retain that pick.  Leafs got socked in the end there as a result of that trade and lottery.  That's nothing new to them right?

Coincidentally, these two paragraphs are directly related to one another.  The Carolina pick that NYR has is actually Toronto's - #13 now that Toronto was eliminated.  Jeff Gorton easily has to be the happiest GM in the league at the moment.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #906 on: August 11, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »
Hmmm.  Am I reading these terms right then on CapFriendly?  Carolina cannot get any higher than #15 at this point, so wouldn't that pick go to the Rangers?  Still good for the Rangers for what they want in rebuilding no matter what though.

"Conditions: NY Rangers will receive the later (or lower) of either the Carolina or Toronto 2020 1st round picks"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: August 11, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
Hmmm.  Am I reading these terms right then on CapFriendly?  Carolina cannot get any higher than #15 at this point, so wouldn't that pick go to the Rangers?  Still good for the Rangers for what they want in rebuilding no matter what though.

"Conditions: NY Rangers will receive the later (or lower) of either the Carolina or Toronto 2020 1st round picks"

Right you are (if capfriendly is accurate).  All the talking heads around here never mentioned that condition, and always suggested that Toronto's pick was in the hands of the Rangers now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #908 on: August 11, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
Apparently the Blue Jackets and Lightning are playing a double header today, so the Bruins won't probably won't start until 9 or so.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: August 11, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
I also think Dallas did the Blues a favor because I think the Flames are one of the teams to beat.