Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64545 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #805 on: July 03, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
I can't find a report citing the actual number of Blues infected. Anyone here come across it?

All I saw was a tweet saying multiple cases.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: July 04, 2020, 06:07:42 AM »
Won't take many more outbreaks before the NHL kills this restart idea. Although, it happened to a US based team, so maybe this isn't a deal breaker. America is practically a cesspool of corona right now. The optics for all the major sports leagues trying to restart this summer is looking pretty bad.

This.

I'd hardly call it an outbreak. 2-5% of the general population tested test positive. Only natural NHL teams are reflective. That this was based off the first test right? Qtine the positives, and move on. They're testing every few days right?

But the general population doesn't have a profession where close physical contact with intense physical exertion (and as a result, lot's of heavy breathing).  I can't help but think the chance of spread is monumentally greater for athletes in team sports vs the general population.

I still have zero belief that any of the team leagues can finish, or perhaps even re-start, their seasons/post-seasons.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #807 on: July 04, 2020, 06:25:36 AM »

I'd hardly call it an outbreak. 2-5% of the general population tested test positive. Only natural NHL teams are reflective. That this was based off the first test right? Qtine the positives, and move on. They're testing every few days right?

But the general population doesn't have a profession where close physical contact with intense physical exertion (and as a result, lot's of heavy breathing).  I can't help but think the chance of spread is monumentally greater for athletes in team sports vs the general population.

Sure, I understand that. But if you're testing, and weeding out the positives to begin with, and put the league in a bubble, theoretically it should work. Now that's not to say humans will fuck it up, not follow the rules, etc...

Positive tests now, are to be expected, but once the team enters the bubble, it should work.

My shock comes in that the NHL and NBA are so intent on finishing this season in the first place. They're really trying to cram this through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #808 on: July 04, 2020, 07:15:17 AM »
Watching Bruins vs Islanders playoffs 1983. :metal

I still cannot believe Brad Park is a HOFer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2020, 07:04:54 AM »
If you try to salvage this season, you jeopardize next season.... and even still next season is already in jeopardy. Call this season what it is - OVER.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2020, 09:02:19 AM »
The selfish part of me who wants some entertainment and loves hockey is really hoping they find a way to make this postseason work.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »
If you try to salvage this season, you jeopardize next season.... and even still next season is already in jeopardy. Call this season what it is - OVER.

Yet, somehow, Bettman seems to think they'll have a full 2020-2021 season. Insanity, if you ask me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: July 06, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
And in the midst of all of this, the CBA is extended to ‘25/‘26
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #813 on: July 06, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »

Yet, somehow, Bettman seems to think they'll have a full 2020-2021 season. Insanity, if you ask me.

I think they'll be fine this season, in a bubble and extensive testing. But next season will be a real challenge. No chance it'll be in a bubble.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: July 10, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
I must say, in a way, I'm kind of proud to be a hockey fan. They seem to have a pretty sound plan for this year, but to be able to hammer out a 4 year CBA extension? That's amazing.

Has Donald Fehr been born again? :lol No way this is the same dude that ran baseball's Union.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #815 on: July 10, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
Fehr probably sees the writing on the wall in terms of the medium range impact of covid on the hockey business. Next few years would not be a good time for labour disputes about money.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #816 on: July 10, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
What's kinda funny is that the hotel the bottom 6 teams will be staying at, the Sutton Place, isn't even that nice. The JW Marriott the top teams will be at is 10x nicer :lol

I think the only reason they choose the Sutton was because it's 2 pedways from the arena (vs the 1 for the JW), so they can completely isolate the teams from the outside world. Be a 5 min walk to the arena.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: July 10, 2020, 08:34:47 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: July 23, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »
Seattle Kraken... It's official. what's the over-under on people who call the arena the Krak House versus the Climate Pledge arena? 100:1? Heard some local people calling it 'The Pledge' which is cool I guess, if you want to give the impression your facility is dust-free with a lemony scent.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #819 on: July 23, 2020, 10:20:32 AM »
Oh gosh.  The Krak House.  You know people will refer it to that rather than the actual name of the arena.  If the SAP Center is referred to as the Shark tank at times, there's no way that Seattle arena will not be called the Krak House, home of the Seattle Kraken.

As for the new franchise, well, another team in the Pacific division.  Fun......  However, I think the Coyotes are moving to the Central division to balance the divisions right?  At least, Vancouver would have a relatively close rival team to probably form a rivalry with? 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:45:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #820 on: July 23, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Yup...the Yotes will move to the central division with Minnesota, Chicago and Winnipeg.  Because, of course you want them in a division with teams that are 1,500+ miles away instead of with teams that are less than 400 miles away!

Also, team names that are not plural are stupid.

Also also, the Seattle Kraken will play games attended by the Krakheads, who drive through the Krak Pipe (i.e., the Highway 99 tunnel) to get to the Krak House.  Utterly moronic.

P.S.  Someone has already registered the domain name krakheadnation.com.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:24:05 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: July 23, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
Yup...the Yotes will move to the central division with Minnesota, Chicago and Winnipeg.  Because, of course you want them in a division with teams that are 1,500+ miles away instead of with teams that are less than 400 miles away!

Remind me again how far Phoenix is from Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver?  :biggrin:  Not every division can be a geographically convenient as the Metro.

Also, team names that are not plural are stupid.

Also also, the Seattle Kraken will play games attended by the Krakheads, who drive through the Krak Pipe (i.e., the Highway 99 tunnel) to get to the Krak House.  Utterly moronic.

+1 to both of these.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: July 23, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »
I can’t believe they went ahead with that name. They knew all about the Krakhouse and all that long ago. And they did it anyway.

Hey publicity I guess

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #823 on: July 23, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »

Remind me again how far Phoenix is from Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver?  :biggrin:  Not every division can be a geographically convenient as the Metro.

This. The West has always been more spread out than the East. And let’s not forget that the two Florida teams are in the same division as the three Eastern Canadian teams as well as Boston, Buffalo, and Detroit, all six teams being well over 1,000 miles away from Tampa and Miami.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #824 on: July 23, 2020, 12:17:46 PM »

This. The West has always been more spread out than the East. And let’s not forget that the two Florida teams are in the same division as the three Eastern Canadian teams as well as Boston, Buffalo, and Detroit, all six teams being well over 1,000 miles away from Tampa and Miami.

Having only four divisions for 32 teams is dumb.  Go back to the six division format:

Western Conference
Pacific Division:  Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Vegas, San Jose
Northwest Division:  Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg
Central Division:  Colorado, Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Minnesota

You could, in theory, put Colorado into any of the three divisions in the west, and putting Colorado into the Northwest Division and Winnipeg into the Central might be better.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division:  Tampa, Miami, Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia
Great Lakes Division:  Columbus, Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa
Northeast Division:  Montreal, Boston, NYI, NYR, New Jersey

From a geographic point of view, Pittsburgh makes more sense in the Great Lakes Division, but I put it in the Atlantic to preserve the divisional/in-state rivalry with Philly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #825 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »
^^ Yeah, that formatting would make some great sense, but that kind of sense in the NHL does not fly for whatever reasons.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #826 on: July 23, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »
They did the divisions like this to preserve some big rivalries (NYR/PHI, PIT/WAS, DAL/MIN). I wanted the 32nd team to be in Quebec so Detroit could move back to the West and get back their rivalries with Chicago and Colorado.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #827 on: July 23, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »
Been waiting for this day. So happy my favorite city has a hockey team. I was a big-time Islanders fans in the late-90s, and when I moved out west, I stopped following the sport. I swore when Seattle got a team, I'd be all in. Well, here we are. RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Can't wait!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #828 on: July 24, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
I love the Kraken.  Both scary and fun.  Not thrilled with the navy but finally a top 4 sports team has ice blue!!! 

Intro music should be The Thing That Should Not Be. haha

Their AHL team was supposed to be in Palm Springs, but that's not looking good since the arena hasn't started construction.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: July 24, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
I love the Kraken.  Both scary and fun.  Not thrilled with the navy but finally a top 4 sports team has ice blue!!! 

Intro music should be The Thing That Should Not Be. haha

You know it's more than likely going to be something from Hans Zimmer / Pirates of the Caribbean.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: July 24, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
...drive through the Krak Pipe (i.e., the Highway 99 tunnel)

Holy mother did you come up with that yourself? That is amazing! I had never heard that before! Except the tunnel is relatively new, and as such not taken over by the Krak Heads. They haven't migrated there from Pike/Pine. Yet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: July 25, 2020, 04:27:38 AM »
Opponents shots off the Krak pipes is certainly making the rounds.....and I wonder who gets to be the Krakhead mascot.

I do love the uniforms.  Yea, a new team isn't wearing black for once!

As a Detroit Tiger fan, any team using an Old English font logo scores points for me.  I would have preferred 'Serpents' for a nickname, since it goes with the theme, and is alliterative.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #832 on: July 25, 2020, 01:16:33 PM »
Kraken is challenging the Sharks as my favorite NHL team.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #833 on: July 27, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
...drive through the Krak Pipe (i.e., the Highway 99 tunnel)

Holy mother did you come up with that yourself? That is amazing! I had never heard that before! Except the tunnel is relatively new, and as such not taken over by the Krak Heads. They haven't migrated there from Pike/Pine. Yet.

While I came up with the sentence that included all of the "Krak" elements, I can't take credit for connecting a tunnel to the team.  I've only been to Seattle once and, while I did drive when I was there, I don't recall going through any tunnel.  Don't remember where I got it, though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: July 29, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »
No matter what happens in this tournament I will always be left to think about ‘what could have been’ in this season. Blues were on a roll....winning 12 of 13 and had their game just thumping. Not saying it was a guaranteed back to back Stanley Cup but it was going to take a massive effort to beat them in a 7 game series.

Now, teams that were not even in the playoffs are in them.....the top teams get shafted by having to wait for a best of five series....so the team they eventually play has a nice minimum three game primer to knock the dust off and momentum for winning a series.....it’s a crap shoot. All it takes is a team getting hot and they could win it all. You can say that any year I guess but this playoff it’s even more especially true and significant given the time off.

Anyway.....I’m already lamenting what could have been simply because the ‘prime’ years of what could have been a multiple cup team have been torn apart by Covid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #835 on: July 29, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »
Anyway.....I’m already lamenting what could have been simply because the ‘prime’ years of what could have been a multiple cup team have been torn apart by Covid.

Gary, don't fall for it. It's very difficult to repeat. When the Bruins won in '11 , they had a large core around 25 y/o. Sure they got back in '13, it's you have to have basically everything going for you.

Look at last year. Both the Blues and Bruins were gifted spots in the Finals. That ain't happening again this year, at least in the East.

Every champion looks like a multiple championship team. Look, the Sox with a very young core had the best record in baseball in '18 AND won the WS. They'll be lucky to go 15-45 this year.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: July 29, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
I know Tim.....repeating in Hockey is extremely rare and tough. I’m more bummed because of what I said....the window to make some noise isn’t big and the Blues window is being shit on.  :lol

I’m thankful and thrilled I got to see them win a cup and he’s now I’m greedy.......just ticked because they were looking tough to beat and now it’ll always be a ‘what if?’

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: August 01, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
No matter what happens in this tournament I will always be left to think about ‘what could have been’ in this season. Blues were on a roll....winning 12 of 13 and had their game just thumping. Not saying it was a guaranteed back to back Stanley Cup but it was going to take a massive effort to beat them in a 7 game series.

Now, teams that were not even in the playoffs are in them.....the top teams get shafted by having to wait for a best of five series....so the team they eventually play has a nice minimum three game primer to knock the dust off and momentum for winning a series.....it’s a crap shoot. All it takes is a team getting hot and they could win it all. You can say that any year I guess but this playoff it’s even more especially true and significant given the time off.

I hear ya, and I feel for you... but like Tim said, don't do that to yourself.  in '93, the Bruins were 16-2 in their final games, 8-0 entering the playoffs, 2nd best in the league .... and swept by the Sabres in the first round.

MAY DAY!  MAY DAY! MAY DAAAYY!!!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: August 01, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
Yeah.....totally get it and understand.

On a Side note......This may very well be the toughest Cup of them all to win given the historic and odd nature of the entire tournament. Gonna be fun to watch.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: August 01, 2020, 11:10:00 AM »
Yeah.....totally get it and understand.

On a Side note......This may very well be the toughest Cup of them all to win given the historic and odd nature of the entire tournament. Gonna be fun to watch.

It was a fiesty first period between the 'Canes and Rangers.  jingle.son was watching, and I watched for about 10 minutes.  Chicago/Edmonton should be a good one too.