Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64530 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #770 on: June 24, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
Is Marian Hossa really a HOFer?

500 plus goals and 3 Cups would seem to say yes. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #771 on: June 24, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »
OK, just asking. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #772 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
Hossa making it on his first try is a major wtf.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #773 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »
Hossa's numbers are pretty good though. First ballot is a bit odd, but his goals, points and 3 cups are pretty impressive. And he was one of the integral pieces in the Hawks' cups.

I still don't think Lowe should be there. 6 cups or not, he has no business being in the Hall.

Online pg1067

« Reply #774 on: June 25, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
Yeah...Lowe and Wilson are the big surprises on the list.  The voters didn't see fit to put them in for more than 20 years, so what changed?  Unless they're in on the strength of their careers as coaches/execs....

As for Hossa, he's #35 on the all-time goals list, and every eligible player ahead of him (with the exception of Keith Tkachuk) is in the HHOF.  He's also #45 on the all-time +/- list (245 with only one full season on the negative side of the ledger).

I don't distinguish between "first ballot" and otherwise.  If you belong in, then that's that.

I was surprised that Hossa and Iginla were eligible, but then I read that the waiting period is only three years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #775 on: June 25, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
The thing about Hossa is that I don't think I ever felt he was one of the greatest players in the game.

Who else was on the ballot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #776 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:35 PM »
The thing about Hossa is that I don't think I ever felt he was one of the greatest players in the game.

Who else was on the ballot.

I don't know who all was on the list as a finalist, but this article - https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/06/23/hockey-hall-of-fame-who-will-make-up-the-2020-class/ - lists some of the other eligible players:

Daniel Alfredsson
Alexander Mogilny
Rod Brind'Amour
Curtis Joseph
Boris Mikhailov (longtime member of the Soviet national team who never played in the NHL)
Jeremy Roenkick
Tom Barrasso
Shane Doan
Patrik Elias
Theo Fleury
Sergei Gonchar
Steve Larmer
Vincent Lecavalier
Jere Lehtinen
Kent Nilsson
Chris Osgood
Keith Tkachuk
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #777 on: June 25, 2020, 06:33:22 PM »
I feel like Alfredsson would've gone in before Hossa.

Steve Larmer is not in??

Do you think the dust up with Roenick may keep him out?
He was a beast with Chicago, and isn't he one of the all time top US players?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #778 on: June 25, 2020, 06:46:16 PM »
Shit. Some big names on there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #779 on: June 25, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
The lack of cup wins or appearances (I think only 1 in '07 with the Oil) is hurting CuJo.  Otherwise, the #7 All-time winningest goalie (he was #5 to start the year ... Flower and King Henrik passed him) should be in the HOF.

It ain't right that cup rings can make a semi-great player a HOF'r, but a lack of rings makes an A-List great player not a HOF'r.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: June 25, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »
Hossa would've never won a ring if he wasn't in Chicago.

I think I also thought Doug Wilson was already in too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: June 25, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
I still get a chuckle when he flopped between Pitt and Detroit in '08 and '09 when they traded cups - and ended up on the wrong side both years!   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online pg1067

« Reply #782 on: June 26, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »
I feel like Alfredsson would've gone in before Hossa.

525-609-1,134 > 444-713-1157 and 3 Cups >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 Cups.

Steve Larmer is not in??

I remember him but not too well, and his best seasons were before I started watching hockey, but just looking at his numbers, he looks like a shoe-in for the Hall of Very Good.

Do you think the dust up with Roenick may keep him out?
He was a beast with Chicago, and isn't he one of the all time top US players?

Roenick is #4 on the list of U.S.-born goal scorers (behind Hull, Modano and Housley).  His numbers are pretty similar to Hossa and Alfredsson.  Not sure which of the many "dust ups" you're talking about, but I suspect his mouth has played some role in his lack of exclusion.

The lack of cup wins or appearances (I think only 1 in '07 with the Oil) is hurting CuJo.  Otherwise, the #7 All-time winningest goalie (he was #5 to start the year ... Flower and King Henrik passed him) should be in the HOF.

I don't know....  He certainly suffered by playing at the same time as Roy, Brodeur and Hasek.  Everyone else kinda paled in comparison.  Also, CuJo never played in the SCF.  The 2007 SCF was Anaheim over Ottawa, and CuJo was in Edmonton in the 90s  (I think Edmonton's starter when they lost in 06 to Carolina was Dwayne Roloson).  He showed up in Detroit in 2002, after they won the Cup.  He had a really good regular season, but the Wings got Giguered in the first round of the 2003 playoffs.  The closest he got to the SCF was when he was with the Leafs in 1999 and 2002.  Notwithstanding his collection of regular season wins, I always had the impression that he was on the "very good but not great" level.

I still get a chuckle when he flopped between Pitt and Detroit in '08 and '09 when they traded cups - and ended up on the wrong side both years!   :lol

As did I.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: June 26, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
Right... totally forgot the timing on when CuJo was with Edmonton.  But I disagree on your overall take.  He did make good teams very good/great.  He just never had the chance to play on a team that was already on the verge of greatness.  I don't see much difference between Roy and Brodeur and he (in that regard).  Hasek was on a different level.  He made mediocre teams great.... but even still, he didn't win a cup until he hitched his wagon to Detroit.

Swap CuJo with any of the teams that Brodeur and Roy won a cup with, and they still win the cup.  Vice versa, Roy/Brodeur with any of CuJo's teams don't win the cup.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #784 on: June 26, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
Having watched CuJo in Edmonton during those Dallas/Colorado playoff years, i have to agree with Jingle. He gave a very mediocre Oilers team a chance to go 7 games against very good Stars and Avs teams. Between him and Doug Weight, they practically carried the team.

Online pg1067

« Reply #785 on: June 26, 2020, 01:42:54 PM »
Right... totally forgot the timing on when CuJo was with Edmonton.  But I disagree on your overall take.  He did make good teams very good/great.  He just never had the chance to play on a team that was already on the verge of greatness.  I don't see much difference between Roy and Brodeur and he (in that regard).  Hasek was on a different level.  He made mediocre teams great.... but even still, he didn't win a cup until he hitched his wagon to Detroit.

Swap CuJo with any of the teams that Brodeur and Roy won a cup with, and they still win the cup.  Vice versa, Roy/Brodeur with any of CuJo's teams don't win the cup.

Maybe, but it's not like the Blues were short on talent while CuJo was there.  Brett Hull, Adam Oates, Geoff Courtnall, Rod Brind'Amour and Brendan Shanahan were not exactly slouches.

I'd be a lot more confident in saying that a guy like Roy or Brodeur would have elevated those early 90s Blues teams than I would in saying that Roy's or Brodeur's teams wouldn't have lost a beat if they'd had CuJo instead.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #786 on: June 26, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

Maybe, but it's not like the Blues were short on talent while CuJo was there.  Brett Hull, Adam Oates, Geoff Courtnall, Rod Brind'Amour and Brendan Shanahan were not exactly slouches.

I'd be a lot more confident in saying that a guy like Roy or Brodeur would have elevated those early 90s Blues teams than I would in saying that Roy's or Brodeur's teams wouldn't have lost a beat if they'd had CuJo instead.

The 90's Blues teams were specifically designed to rip the heart out of their fans year after year. It was a beautiful design.....showed just enough grit and heart and talent to excite....made some noise but never failed to crush your soul.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #787 on: June 26, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »

The 90's Blues teams were specifically designed to rip the heart out of their fans year after year. It was a beautiful design.....showed just enough grit and heart and talent to excite....made some noise but never failed to crush your soul.

So true. Some of those teams were good enough to win it all from the mid 90’s through early 00’s, but those damn Red Wings, Avs and Stars always got in the way.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #788 on: June 26, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
All right, Draft Lottery is today for all of us rooting for teams not in the playoffs.  Will start in 20 minutes.  Ottawa has a high shot of #1 with around 25% or so, then the Red Wings by lower margin, and then the Kings by a bigger margin.  The kicker is that some teams that are in qualifying positions for playoffs may also end up getting #1.

These rules are really hard to understand, honestly.  All I know is Kings ain't getting #1 and because of the way the draft lottery worked, last year, we may end up getting as low as 7th.  Yep.  Another kicker is that there's a slim chance that the Oilers loses against the Blackhawks in the qualifying round and they still could end up getting #1.  Again.....  Why is that a possibility (albeit very low)?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: June 26, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »
The Wings could get the top three picks, and would still more than stink next year.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: June 26, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
And the pick goes to .... we don’t know.

:rollin

So what happens if/when the post season is COVID cancelled?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #791 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »
So let me get this straight, for any team that loses in the qualifying rounds, they have a 12.5% chance of getting #1?  Why is that even a possibility?  I thought this system was supposed to favor teams that really sucks and punishes teams that could be marginally good/decent.  At least the Kings got bumped up two spots and got #2, baby!  Leapfrogging over Senators and Red Wings.  It's a good feeling to have in addition with that 7 game winning streak in the end there.  I'll take it, RNG gods.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: June 27, 2020, 04:43:16 AM »
2020 NHL Draft lottery odds
TEAM   PTS %   ODDS
1. Wings   .275      18.5
2. Sens   .437      13.5
3. Sens   .437      11.5
4. Kings   .457      9.5
5. Ducks   .472      8.5
6. Devils   .493       7.5
7. Sabres   .493      6.5
8. Team A      n/a   6.0
9. Team B      n/a   5.0
10. Team C    n/a   3.5
11. Team D   n/a   3.0
12. Team E   n/a   2.5
13. Team F   n/a   2.0
14. Team G   n/a   1.5
15. Team H   n/a   1.0

So, the odds were very minimal, but this is consistent with every other lottery draft.  Sucks to be Lafreničre - he won't know who he's playing for until August sometime - if then.

I still have 0% belief that there will be a post season.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #793 on: June 27, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »
Really makes me wonder what their backup plan is if they don't resume the season. What a crazy year that it's possible a team that was playoff destined at the pause could end up with the 1st overall pick for losing a play-in best of 5 series. Also, why on earth didn't they just wait until the play-in round was finished before having any kind of draft lottery? It's not like they can hold the entry draft before the conclusion of the playoffs anyway.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
Word is that the two hub cities are gonna be Toronto and Edmonton. Whoulda thunk the US could screw things up this bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #795 on: July 01, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »
Word is that the two hub cities are gonna be Toronto and Edmonton. Whoulda thunk the US could screw things up this bad.

So basically, one would be in the city of a team that has no shot at winning the Cup, and the other would be in Edmonton, right? :P :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: July 01, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »
Aren't they sending the East teams to Edmonton, and the West teams to Toronto?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #797 on: July 01, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
Aren't they sending the East teams to Edmonton, and the West teams to Toronto?

Why wouldn’t they keep them on their own sides of the continent?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #798 on: July 01, 2020, 02:18:40 PM »
I thought the original thought was that they didn't want any team playing in their home city.

Online pg1067

« Reply #799 on: July 01, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »
I thought the original thought was that they didn't want any team playing in their home city.

Are there going to be fans in the stands?  If not, it doesn't make much difference, does it?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #800 on: July 03, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
Blues shut down all practices due to multiple positive Covid cases.  :omg:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #801 on: July 03, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »
Apparently the guy in charge of cleaning the Cup between each guy kissing it wasn't doing his job.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #802 on: July 03, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »
Won't take many more outbreaks before the NHL kills this restart idea. Although, it happened to a US based team, so maybe this isn't a deal breaker. America is practically a cesspool of corona right now. The optics for all the major sports leagues trying to restart this summer is looking pretty bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #803 on: July 03, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »
I'd hardly call it an outbreak. 2-5% of the general population tested test positive. Only natural NHL teams are reflective. That this was based off the first test right? Qtine the positives, and move on. They're testing every few days right?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #804 on: July 03, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »
I can't find a report citing the actual number of Blues infected. Anyone here come across it?