Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64969 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. No postseason in sight
« Reply #735 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »
I am not overly concerned about seeding since home ice means so little in the NHL playoffs (and would mean squat this time around with playing in empty arenas).  The idea of a team that has no business being in the playoffs making a deep playoff run is far more annoying.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #736 on: May 25, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
The idea of a team that has no business being in the playoffs making a deep playoff run is far more annoying.

For sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #737 on: May 25, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
The idea of a team that has no business being in the playoffs making a deep playoff run is far more annoying.

For sure.

Yeah....I get that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #738 on: May 25, 2020, 11:35:40 AM »
Problem is, it may be used to reseed the Top 4 teams in each conference. That could mean the Blues (and Bruins) could lose their Top Seed.

I agree that this scenario would suck for fans of these teams (Oilers would be in the play-in tournament anyway so it's not an issue for my team). However, unless those games have some kind of meaning they won't serve as reasonable prep for actual playoff hockey. A tournament with some value would at least mimic regular season intensity, i would think. It's about making the best of a shitty, unprecedented situation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #739 on: May 25, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »
Problem is, it may be used to reseed the Top 4 teams in each conference. That could mean the Blues (and Bruins) could lose their Top Seed.

I agree that this scenario would suck for fans of these teams (Oilers would be in the play-in tournament anyway so it's not an issue for my team). However, unless those games have some kind of meaning they won't serve as reasonable prep for actual playoff hockey. A tournament with some value would at least mimic regular season intensity, i would think. It's about making the best of a shitty, unprecedented situation.

Yep. And, I'm still not convinced it's gonna happen. They're trying hard, I'll give them that but I still can't believe this will realistically happen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: May 25, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
While I have recited what I've heard, I am not keeping up to date with any of the major sports' plans. I'm trying to more or less ignore any news, because it does seem quite far away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #741 on: May 25, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »
The hub city concept could work. We have almost no covid cases in metro Edmonton, which is shocking for a area with a population of 1.5 million. All our cases are in the Calgary area. We have a brand new arena with attached practice facility and rink, with pedway access to a 4 star JW Marriott hotel. They could isolate the crap out of people with the set up here. I'm feeling 65/35% in terms of yes playoffs/no playoffs

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #743 on: May 25, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
The only problem with having a Canadian city as a hub, is you'd have to have all 12 teams from one conference in Canada, then there'd be a 2 week gap before the finals could start.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, but I don't see the (American) advertisers being too keen on that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: May 25, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »
Right. I didn't think Trudeau was going to go for it.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #745 on: May 25, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »
Right. I didn't think Trudeau was going to go for it.
His stance is that they need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival since they're international travellers.

Good point, chad, that the league likely doesn't want to have to cross the border at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #746 on: May 26, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
David Pastrnak co winner of the Rocket Richard Award.

He just turned 24 yesterday.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #747 on: May 26, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »
The draft lottery percentages as it is.

In hindsight, Kings should have pushed harder to lose to Senators in the last game before the stoppage.  Having a six-game winning streak was already overachieving for that team.  On the other hand, it would have meant that the Senators would have had a 23% chance at securing #1 instead of 25% that they have now.  Nice going, Sharks.  How's that Erik Karlsson signing at $11.5M a year paying dividends for you so far?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #748 on: May 27, 2020, 10:00:34 AM »
The draft lottery percentages as it is.

In hindsight, Kings should have pushed harder to lose to Senators in the last game before the stoppage.  Having a six-game winning streak was already overachieving for that team.  On the other hand, it would have meant that the Senators would have had a 23% chance at securing #1 instead of 25% that they have now.  Nice going, Sharks.  How's that Erik Karlsson signing at $11.5M a year paying dividends for you so far?

Translation:  the Kings have a 100% chance of not getting the #1 pick.

And I very much disagree that the Kings (or any other team) should try to lose.  It's one thing, organizationally, to cut loose/trade veterans who might help win a few more games now, in favor of getting young guys some experience.  But once you're on the ice, you play to win.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #749 on: June 02, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »
So this week, on NESN it's Cam Neely week. Great! Old games!

Last night was a game against the LA Kings in 1989. I totally forgot Larry Robinson played for the Kings, as well as Barry Beck and John Tonelli.

Tonight, it was Game 2 of the 1990 Adams Division Finals. As much as I despised the Canadiens, this team had a number of my favorite players from this era: Brian Skrudland, Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keane, Mike McPhee.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #750 on: June 03, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »
So this week, on NESN it's Cam Neely week. Great! Old games!

Last night was a game against the LA Kings in 1989. I totally forgot Larry Robinson played for the Kings, as well as Barry Beck and John Tonelli.

Tonight, it was Game 2 of the 1990 Adams Division Finals. As much as I despised the Canadiens, this team had a number of my favorite players from this era: Brian Skrudland, Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keane, Mike McPhee.

When Bruce McNall owned the Kings, it seemed to be his goal to sign every former superstar on his last legs (caveat: I've never heard of Barry Beck, so I don't know if that description is apt for him).  He seemed to have little realization that, without quality young players to learn from guys like that, all he was doing was putting a team of past-their-prime players on the ice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: June 03, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »
Barry Beck started out with the Rockies. He was a beast. He also played for the Rangers. May have even become their captain. He was most definitely on his last legs in LA.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #752 on: June 03, 2020, 12:41:57 PM »
Barry Beck started out with the Rockies. He was a beast. He also played for the Rangers. May have even become their captain. He was most definitely on his last legs in LA.

I knew Robinson ended his career with the Kings.  Beck did as well (after one mediocre year in which he played 52 games).  Tonelli played one season with the Hawks and Nords after three with the Kings.  Robinson was still with the Kings when I started following them.  Beck and Tonelli were gone, but I heard a bunch about Tonelli.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #753 on: June 03, 2020, 03:54:05 PM »
I was a huge Islander fan when I was a kid, so I loved John Tonelli. Just so happens, the game they showed between the B's-Kings, Tonelli scored two goals! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #754 on: June 03, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: June 05, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »

Hockey is still the best sport, IMO, but it seems like there a lot less fights and scuffles nowadays, probably because of the instigator penalty that was instituted that makes player less likely now to, well, instigate a fight, and the rivalries don't seem quite as fierce now as a result.  Maybe I just long for another rivalry like the Wings/Avs one of the later 90's/early 00's; those teams hated each other with a passion, and it was awesome.

I was wearing a Red Wing tee shirt while doing yard work, and a new neighbor was walking by and commented on it.  I'm originally from Michigan, he's originally from Colorado.  Much respect now for those long ago days, but we were both honest:  we HATED the other team, though the Wings didn't have anyone as dirty as Claude Lemieux.  I hate fighting in hockey, have always liked how the college game deals with it, but I have to admit, I had a couple of friends over, and the beat down of the Avs in '97.     

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Avalanche%E2%80%93Detroit_Red_Wings_brawl

Moving on:  the NHL is close to agreeing to their playoff format.  And daily C19 tests.  This isn't the good ol' 'pee in a cup' test.  I'm no doctor, but I'm wondering what damage this 'brain sucking' swabbing will do to all the individuals involved. 

EDIT:  Found out from a friend yesterday that he is tested weekly.  Had the initial nose swab, and now it is a saliva swab.  Obviously, much less painful.  I didn't know this method was available.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:46:24 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #756 on: June 13, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
Yesterday was the anniversary of the Blues Cup win and Fox Sports Midwest replayed Game 7 last night with some commentary by various Blues at key points of the game.  Very cool.  It still doesn't seem real that they actually won the Stanley Cup.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #757 on: June 19, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Welp. This could highly derail the postseason.  Looks like Auston Matthews has Covid.  Apparently, people from the Lightning organization has Covid as well.  I would rather not see other people in the league get caught with it as well, scrap this season, and move on with the plans for the next season (whenever it may be), but Bettman probably has a way to reason with people to move forward with this postseason plans despite these setbacks. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/06/19/report-auston-matthews-tests-positive-for-covid-19-toronto-maple-leafs-nhl/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »
I don't see how they can possibly attempt to have the postseason.  Feels like it's time to bite the bullet, declare the season over, give the Cup to the Blues again, and hope you can find a way to have a 2020-2021 season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
I don’t see how any person-to-person sports organization could (re)start. All seem to have cases in the league... whether players or support staff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
I don't see how they can possibly attempt to have the postseason.  Feels like it's time to bite the bullet, declare the season over, give the Cup to the Blues again, and hope you can find a way to have a 2020-2021 season.

Nope.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2020, 08:27:15 PM »

Nope.  Lol

You don't want a 2020-2021 season?? WHY DO YOU HATE HOCKEY?? :P :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
No, I'm not handing it over to you sarcastically or not. The B's were on a roll. I feel cheated. Well, we all do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2020, 08:35:40 PM »
Pretty much, yeah.

I think anyone expecting to see any team sports before next year is kidding themselves.  Hockey, football, etc.  Ain't gonna happen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
Not how we all act. Nope.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #765 on: June 20, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
As disappointing as it would be, I don’t think the Stanley Cup should be awarded without a playoff, and I’m not sure if I want to see the playoffs either. The other league awards can still be awarded (I think the President’s Trophy would be a good consolation prize for the Bruins in these unprecedented times), but to resume actual play while still in the middle of a pandemic honestly isn’t the right thing to do.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: June 21, 2020, 04:53:58 AM »
If there are no playoffs, there will be no Stanley Cup Champion recognized, and the distinguished gentlemen from St.Louis know that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: June 21, 2020, 08:14:00 AM »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #768 on: June 21, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
If there are no playoffs, there will be no Stanley Cup Champion recognized, and the distinguished gentlemen from St.Louis know that.

Yep, but at least, they still claim that the Blues have won the previous Stanley Cup held, so they have that going for them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: June 24, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Is Marian Hossa really a HOFer?