Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64864 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Reliving the Leafs getting clowned
« Reply #700 on: May 08, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
I'll be watching the Sox win the 2004 World Series tonight.

The most anticlimactic World Series win ever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. No postseason in sight
« Reply #701 on: May 08, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
No kidding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »
So they're showing the run up to the Bruins Cup in 1970 tonight, showing highlights against the Rangers, Hawks, and finally the Blues.

I love watching these old clips. It looks like a damn beer league! :lol

But holy shit, Bobby Orr was on another planet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #703 on: May 10, 2020, 04:22:52 AM »
So they're showing the run up to the Bruins Cup in 1970 tonight, showing highlights against the Rangers, Hawks, and finally the Blues.

I love watching these old clips. It looks like a damn beer league! :lol

But holy shit, Bobby Orr was on another planet.

Such a different game in the 70s and 80s.  You could practically commit manslaughter on the ice and not get a penalty.  Guys are taking 90 second shifts; a PP unit plays the entire 2 mins. 

Today's players are pussies.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #704 on: May 10, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »

Such a different game in the 70s and 80s.  You could practically commit manslaughter on the ice and not get a penalty.  Guys are taking 90 second shifts; a PP unit plays the entire 2 mins. 

Hockey is still the best sport, IMO, but it seems like there a lot less fights and scuffles nowadays, probably because of the instigator penalty that was instituted that makes player less likely now to, well, instigate a fight, and the rivalries don't seem quite as fierce now as a result.  Maybe I just long for another rivalry like the Wings/Avs one of the later 90's/early 00's; those teams hated each other with a passion, and it was awesome.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #705 on: May 10, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »

Yeah. If you watch a highlight reel of Gretzky's first handful of years/goals.....there were A LOT of pretty weak/soft ones. Those goalies were pretty bad.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #706 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:29 AM »
Watching those games from 1970 and the soft goals the Bruins scored against the Rangers. It was like the goalies weren't even trying.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: May 10, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »
Watching those games from 1970 and the soft goals the Bruins scored against the Rangers. It was like the goalies weren't even trying.

It’s weird because you know they were ‘trying’ but they just look so bad.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #708 on: May 10, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
I think the factors on why goaltenders back then looked pretty bad and let in soft goals could be these reasons.  Some say it's due to equipment not being as great as they are now.  Others say there were no goaltender coaches back then to really give goaltenders the focus they need to improve their game.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: May 10, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
I think the factors on why goaltenders back then looked pretty bad and let in soft goals could be these reasons.  Some say it's due to equipment not being as great as they are now.  Others say there were no goaltender coaches back then to really give goaltenders the focus they need to improve their game.

I can see that. It’s a position that’s certainly evolved a lot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #710 on: May 10, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »
What's really crazy is that even though goaltending is more consistent than it used to be across the board, there hasn't been a goalie come into the league in the last 20 years who can come close to the level of greatness of guys like Hasek, Brodeur and Roy.  I mean, is there a singe goalie from the last 10-15 years who is a lock to make the Hall of Fame?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: May 10, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
What's really crazy is that even though goaltending is more consistent than it used to be across the board, there hasn't been a goalie come into the league in the last 20 years who can come close to the level of greatness of guys like Hasek, Brodeur and Roy.  I mean, is there a singe goalie from the last 10-15 years who is a lock to make the Hall of Fame?

That’s the difference though. Those guys were just men among boys. Now there’s more continuity in the position. No absolute dominant superstars but there are 8-10 really good ones out there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #713 on: May 10, 2020, 01:13:13 PM »
NHL Network is now showing the B's-Nordiques from 1991. It is the Ron Tugnutt 70 save game. So weird to see Guy Lafluer playing for Quebec.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: May 10, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »

Lundqvist.

Also, notice how so few of them go down on their knees? The butterfly didn’t really become common until the 80s, and even still, a goalie’s first instinct on a shot isn’t to go down as it is nowadays.

And yeah, equipment.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: May 10, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
I think Lunquist will get in. Rinne, Quick.
If Rask could have won a Cup in his two trips to the Finals you'd have to look at him too. He has a Vezina and was en route to another this year. 60 Min away from a Conn Smythe too.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #716 on: May 10, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

Lundqvist is a lock. He’s a top 20 goalie of all time, and certainly the best of this generation. His lack of a Stanley Cup is the only thing keeping him from the top 5 imo.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #717 on: May 10, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »
Eh, King Henrik feels a bit overhyped.  He has only one Vezina Trophy.  I am sure he will get in, as playing in NY always helps, but he doesn't feel close to the level of the Big 3 of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #718 on: May 10, 2020, 06:36:31 PM »
He's #1 in the heart of wives.  Lol. My wife and sister in law would fight over him. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #719 on: May 16, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
So a guy that I somewhat follow on Youtube for hockey content, UrinatingTree, posted a recent video about the career of Mike Keenan as a coach and GM.  It's rather fascinating how he can be successful, was able to coach a team to a Stanley Cup, get fired by so many NHL teams, was power hungry and he ended up becaming coach and GM at the same time, pissed off players, and found success in the modern times in Russia.  A volatile career, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryx0HxlTfK0
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:18:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: May 16, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »
I actually own and have read this book:

Probably read it 20 years ago, but I remember it being very short on interesting details. Must've been authorized.

I remember when he was coach of the Bruins (NO idea why harry Sinden hired him), he would have the players on the bikes AFTER games. WTF? Post game interviews were done while guys were cycling. I don't remember him coaching after that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »
@ Chad... I'm seeing Marner and Selke in the media headlines. What is this all about? Did he recently state this was a goal of his? If the Toronto Media trying to give him some love to offset Matthews coverage?

He's never struck me as a defensive player.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54:36 AM »
He hustles hard, that's for sure.  I wouldn't say he does anything spectacular, but he doesn't fuck up that much.  He's on the PK unit, and is one of the guys that will regularly be on the ice in the final minute of a 1-goal lead ... so Babs/Keefe have had faith in him for quite a while.

I haven't been watching any sports news, as I really don't think there's any chance of the leagues coming back.  I think they're gonna try, but I think it's a dumb move.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that a few weeks into 'training camp' or re-starts, one of the leagues will have a case of COVID, and it'll all just get shut down again.  Plus, hearing what some of the conditions are that MLB is going to institute is a serious WTF is even the point?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
I haven't been watching any sports news, as I really don't think there's any chance of the leagues coming back.  I think they're gonna try, but I think it's a dumb move.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that a few weeks into 'training camp' or re-starts, one of the leagues will have a case of COVID, and it'll all just get shut down again.  Plus, hearing what some of the conditions are that MLB is going to institute is a serious WTF is even the point?

the last number I heard for the NHL is if they can get this Playoff format in they've proposed they can still collectively 'make' 1.4 Billion dollars. That's a hefty incentive to try and get it done but I'm with you....all it takes is one or two cases of players getting COVID and you're done.

These leagues need to realize it's a high risk and give in to the fact they're gonna take it in the gut just like the rest of the country/economy......and get to work on figuring out how to making next season work. This season is a lost cause.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #724 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
Not like I won't watch, but this idea of having 24 playoff teams is gross. Get ready for the 23rd best team to win the Covid Cup because all of the best teams going into the 2nd round with zero momentum as a result of having not played for three months and then playing a couple of scrimmage games under the guise of getting them back to form.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: May 25, 2020, 04:51:25 AM »
Not like I won't watch, but this idea of having 24 playoff teams is gross. Get ready for the 23rd best team to win the Covid Cup because all of the best teams going into the 2nd round with zero momentum as a result of having not played for three months and then playing a couple of scrimmage games under the guise of getting them back to form.

No shit.  Buffalo just might win their first championship!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #726 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:34 AM »
A co-worker talked about this the other day, how relieved we are that the Blues won it last year, otherwise this year could have been seen as a major missed opportunity if they didn't win it (since this is arguably the best Blues team ever outside of last year's), and if this team would win it after they resume the season, it would have felt tainted for their first Cup win to be won like this.  First world problems, I know. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #727 on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
A co-worker talked about this the other day, how relieved we are that the Blues won it last year, otherwise this year could have been seen as a major missed opportunity if they didn't win it (since this is arguably the best Blues team ever outside of last year's), and if this team would win it after they resume the season, it would have felt tainted for their first Cup win to be won like this.  First world problems, I know. :lol

I don't view this year's Cup as tainted in anyway, no matter wins won it. I don't think any of the bottom feeders in the "tournament" are going to make it anyway.

Why would anyone think this is tainted?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
Because it will not be won organically. There is no way of knowing which teams will be able to recapture whatever momentum they had prior to the stoppage.  You can't just turn it back on like a water faucet.  Sure, all teams are starting from scratch again, in a manner of speaking, but it just feels like it will be tainted.  And that is not even factoring in that the games will all likely be played in empty arenas.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #729 on: May 25, 2020, 08:16:19 AM »
I think it is what it is, and the whoever wins the Cup should not be held against them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
Maybe you are right.

Or maybe I will wait and see who wins it before I decide one way or the other. :P :lol

Note: if the Blackhawks win it, it is automatically invalid.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
I mean the 2013 Blackhawks won the cup in a shortened scheduled season (48 regular season games) and were dominating most of those games.  Can any non-Blues fans say that was a "tainted" win?

I personally don't approve of this 24-team structure, myself (especially, since I wish the Kings would have tried harder in some games if we knew this was coming), but this is I guess NHL's attempt to salvage some revenue and at this point, in this pandemic, if there's money to made, people will take it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: May 25, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
I mean the 2013 Blackhawks won the cup in a shortened scheduled season (48 regular season games) and were dominating most of those games.  Can any non-Blues fans say that was a "tainted" win?

We lost in the finals and that wasn't tainted at all. That finals was some of the best hockey I've ever seen.

That whole playoff was great.

Or maybe I will wait and see who wins it before I decide one way or the other. :P :lol

Obviously.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: May 25, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »
I think it is what it is, and the whoever wins the Cup should not be held against them.

Same here. In fact, I think the opposite. This might be the hardest Cup to win. Every team will be (most likely) healthy and rearing to go. Every team is in the same boat. Now, I'm not a fan of the best teams having to wait and play a team who is going to have a few games under their belts but it is what it is. They're professionals and they'll deal with it.

This Cup will always stand out given the circumstances but I don't think it should be tainted in anyway. I honestly feel for whichever team wins it. Their fans really won't get to 'enjoy' it with them. No celebrations or parades....no crowds....just seems weird. But a Cup is a Cup.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: May 25, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
Now, I'm not a fan of the best teams having to wait and play a team who is going to have a few games under their belts but it is what it is.

Well, this is part of the plan I'm not cool with. It sounds like they may have the top 4 teams play a mini tournament amongst themselves while the play ins are going on. Problem is, it may be used to reseed the Top 4 teams in each conference. That could mean the Blues (and Bruins) could lose their Top Seed.