Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64984 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official 2019-2020 NHL Thread - v. Play Gloria!
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
My guess is he'll do a 1yr deal after this bridge contract then move on from the Jets. Or he gets traded before then, I suppose.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
So much for that Laine theory ... 2 year deal, $6.75M AAV.  Man, they do NOT have a lot of faith in him.

Yeah. That’s a very ‘tradeable’ contract. Unless he has a no trade clause. It’s really a prove your worth deal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:30 AM »
Any GM that ends an RFA contract right as the player enters UFA eligibility is an idiot - unless he's a mediocre player, and it's a cheap contract.  The message to Laine (from the team, and himself) is clearly "prove yourself".  I checked Capfriendly, and it's not like the team has any major contracts expiring in 2 years that they need to plan/budget for.  Point and Tkachuck got 3 year deals.  If the team had even a little more faith in him, why not sign him for 3 years at that price?  Laine is probably fine with it, because he seems to have a higher opinion of himself, so he's probably thinking he'll cash in with a bigger contract a year sooner than Point/Tkachuck.

It's just a weird scenario to see a team have little faith in a player, while the player seems to be the exact opposite, holding a lot of belief in himself.

Only Rantanen and Connor to go now.

What's the deal with the older UFA guys??  Phaneuf, Marleau, Pomminville, Metho, Vanek.... these are all quality guys that surely aren't expecting large paydays (some were bought out), and no team wants to sign them to a league minimum or $1M-$2M AAV short term contract?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Hear some Horrific, disheartening news about the All Star game in St. Louis this season. F’n Green Day will be playing at it. I’d rather they just air my 12 year olds saxophone practice.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
Hear some Horrific, disheartening news about the All Star game in St. Louis this season. F’n Green Day will be playing at it. I’d rather they just air my 12 year olds saxophone practice.

It's not as though the NHL has a rich history of high-quality ASG intermission entertainment:  something/someone called Ne-Yo, Bebe Rexha, Barenaked Ladies, Hanson....  Nashville had what sounded like a pretty decent country lineup a couple years ago, but I don't like country music.  Isn't Green Day about par for the course?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »

Dude, you got nothing to complain about. Nothing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »

Dude, you got nothing to complain about. Nothing.

Whole new season Tim. I can muster some grievances  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
You're insufferable, man,

Speaking of insufferable, where's Kev been lately?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:08 PM »

I would rather watch Green Day than having KISS at the Dodger Stadium game between the Kings and the Ducks in 2014.  That was a rather depressing game if you were a Kings fan that day.  At least the ice held up ok.  I don't even know why that game didn't even get Van Halen.  Wolfgang Van Halen is a huge Kings fan and I've seen a picture together with him, Eddie with custom Kings jerseys and Luc Robitaille with a guitar.

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
I saw that yesterday, and felt like I needed to post it in the 'Faith in Humanity .... restored' thread.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
Yeah, that’s so great.  I knew the Bruins were losing game 7 as soon as I found out she was coming to Boston for the game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
Pretty cool stuff. I'm still trying to figure out how I can convince my wife to let me buy the $600 'fan' version of the Championship Ring. There's really no good reason to do so....other than....just to have it.

Me and the kiddos are heading down to the DT show tonight....which, is at the Stifel Theater....which...is connected to the Enterprise Center. Opening Day festivities begin at 3 p.m.  It's going to be crazy down there. The concert starts at 8, but I think we're gonna get down there around 5:30 and go see some of the tailgaiting and pre-game stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
Sorry, but who the F is this kid, and why are the Blues acting like she's a member of the organization?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
Sorry, but who the F is this kid, and why are the Blues acting like she's a member of the organization?

Long story short:   she had a rare blood cancer and met Colton Paryako and Alexander Steen through the work they do with St. Louis Children's Hospital. Her and Colton Paryako became pretty close. She 'beat' her blood cancer.....the Blue's started inviting her to some home playoff games last year and she along with that 'Gloria' song just kind of became a part of the whole atmosphere of the Blues crazy turn around and playoff run. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »

Long story short:   she had a rare blood cancer and met Colton Paryako and Alexander Steen through the work they do with St. Louis Children's Hospital. Her and Colton Paryako became pretty close. She 'beat' her blood cancer.....the Blue's started inviting her to some home playoff games last year and she along with that 'Gloria' song just kind of became a part of the whole atmosphere of the Blues crazy turn around and playoff run.

Thanks.  I knew she had become sort of a good luck charm, but I didn't know the back story.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Four ish hours until puck drop.  :caffeine:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
I’m watching baseball tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »

Sorry 'bout your luck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »

Sorry 'bout your luck.

I’ll watch the late game.  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
You guys want to do preseason picks? If Kev wants to add them to the OP, great, if not, I have the 2nd reply and I'll list them there.
BTW, where is Kev??

Atlantic- Lightning
Metro- Capitals

Central- Blues
Pacific- Flames

Eastern Finals-Leafs vs Devils
Western Finals-Flames vs Blues

Finals-Leafs vs Flames

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
I wouldn't be mad if you're right about the Devils making the conference finals. I'll be at the home opener in Newark on Friday :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
I wouldn't be mad if you're right about the Devils making the conference finals. I'll be at the home opener in Newark on Friday :hat

I wouldn't be mad if you made a prediction!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
Not gonna lie, I don't know enough about the rest of the league to make any predictions. I love the Devils, will go to at least a handful of games and watch a bunch more, but the Western Conference in particular would mostly blind guesses.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »
I like the cut of your job, Tom, but I don’t see that happening. Leafs still have some growing pains. I thin Tampa is gonna be a ... wiser?? ... and even more formidable team this year - even with less than 62 wins. I’ll make predictions later when I’m not on my phone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
OK Chan.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2019, 07:48:31 AM »
Here's how I see it rolling out:

Atlantic: Lightning
Metro: Devils

Pacific: Flames
Central: Blues

Cup Final: Lightning vs. Sharks

I think Calgary can easily win the division, but they'll run into goal tending issues in the playoffs and lose round 1 in 5 games.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Agree on Calgary.  The duo of Ridditch and Talbot is not gonna take them deep into the playoffs.

Atlantic: Lightning
Metro: Devils
Central: Stars
West: Flames

ECF: Lightning v Capitals
WCF: Sharks v Preds

Finals: Lightning v Preds

Sorry Gary... I think the Preds did the most to improve in the Central, and the combination of Rinne and Saros WILL take them far.

Trophy Winners:
Hart - Barkov
Norris - Burns
Vezina - Bishop
Art Ross - McDavid
Rocket Richard - Matthews
Adams - Quennville is the easy pick.  So I'll go Dave Tippett, and boldly predict he gets the Oil into the playoffs
Lady Byng - Marchand  :rollin Tavares (hell, I dunno... so I'll go all homer on this one)
Selke - Aho

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »
Sorry Gary... I think the Preds did the most to improve in the Central, and the combination of Rinne and Saros WILL take them far.

No apology needed. Central is going to be a beast again this year. The Av's and Starts are going to be really tough....plus the Preds. I think the Blues will get into the playoffs and hopefully from there they defy the odds and throw a repeat at me but that's doubtful and I'm not seeing a Central Division Championship from them either.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
The Central will surely have 5 in the playoffs.  Just depends on how far Winnipeg drops.  I see them as WC at best.  I don't see Binnington going 25-5, and Allen is still volatile as a backup.  I think Stars/Preds are 1-2; Blues, Avs and Jets fight for 3-5.  Chicago might surprise though.  Minnesota is still on the outside looking in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
I think Allen will surprise a lot of people because he is at his best when he’s not ‘the man’ and when there’s a tandem so to speak.

I’d think Binnington gets 50 starts and Allen gets 30....at least, that’s the way I’d do it. Allen is super gifted and athletic in goal. He just head cases out when it’s ALL put on his shoulders.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
I like the cut of your job, Tom, but I don’t see that happening. Leafs still have some growing pains.

I think Tampa wins the division, but the R1G7 this year will be in Toronto  (against Boston obviously).

Bruins start their season tonight with a tough 4 game road trip.

@ Dallas
@ Arizona
@ Vegas
@ Colorado
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:15:23 PM by TAC »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »
I like the cut of your job, Tom, but I don’t see that happening. Leafs still have some growing pains.

I think Tampa wins the division, but the R1G7 this year will be in Toronto  (against Boston obviously).

Maybe, but I'm on record as saying that I think Toronto gets off to a soft start, and could fall out of the Top 3 in the Atlantic.  And if I'm to be completely honest that might not be a bad thing.  I think the WC winner(s) in the Atlantic will have an easier path to get to the ECF final.  Maybe I'll have a different opinion in April, but I think every playoff team out of the Metro will far more beatable than anyone in the Atlantic.  I just don't see the top 3/4 in the Metro being as strong as the top 3/4 in the Atlantic.  Now... anything can happen in the 2nd season, but this is just how I'm reading the tea leaves at the moment.

The Leafs looked good last night... but ffs, it was Ottawa.  Toronto has big problems on the horizon.  I must be dense, because they look like they are - to the dollar - right on the salary cap - and that's with only 1 extra forward, and 2 extra D.  1/2 the team is on sub $1M AAC contracts.  I have no idea how they are going to put Hyman (@$2.25M AAV) back on the roster when his ACL is rehab'd.  Maybe there's something I'm not following with how the salaries are all adding up - Capfriendly isn't helping me understand it any better either.  ANY kind of minor injury/ies puts them in serious jeopardy in being able to dress 20 players.  They have to have a LOT of things go right for them to finish ahead of Boston and Florida.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2019, 07:37:44 PM »
I wanted to ask you...what is Babcock's relationship with Dubas? Which guy is actually "in charge"?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official 2019-2020 NHL Thread - v. no more Gloria
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
My understanding of the Leafs cap situation is that once Hyman returns they have to either bury salary in the minors or trade out dollars somewhere.

The minors could work, but, as Chad mentioned, they're already running short handed. They'd be left with almost no reserves if they need to send 2 guys to the minors just for cap purposes.

A trade could work, but then they'd be trading from a position of serious weakness since they'd be giving up an actual asset for more league minimum contacts (assuming they also haven't hit their 50 contact limit).

It'll be interesting to see what happens there. Dubas painted himself into a bit of a corner with the high paid forwards, but the Leafs have a pretty good window of 5 years or so where they should be considered serious cup contenders.