Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64521 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Reliving the Leafs getting clowned
« Reply #665 on: April 29, 2020, 01:43:29 AM »
Any time I think of the Kings, my mind goes to the 2014 Finals and I start to get sad again.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #666 on: April 29, 2020, 06:37:06 AM »
Losing the Stanley Cup Finals is fucking crushing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: April 29, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »

A friend of mine (who doesn't like hockey) asked me last spring, would you rather the Blues lose in the first round or in the finals? My immediate answer was, "In the finals. It is always better to go as far as possible." But in retrospect, I am not sure I now agree.  That entire run was so stressful and if the Blues had lost the series, it would have been the biggest kick in the balls ever (keep in mind that to fans like me and Gary, we had never seen our team get that far, as opposed to you and Joe for example, who saw your team win a Cup less than a decade ago). You'd almost rather be put out of your misery early in the playoffs than have to endure that kind of heartbreak at the very end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #668 on: April 29, 2020, 07:56:32 AM »

A friend of mine (who doesn't like hockey) asked me last spring, would you rather the Blues lose in the first round or in the finals? My immediate answer was, "In the finals. It is always better to go as far as possible." But in retrospect, I am not sure I now agree.  That entire run was so stressful and if the Blues had lost the series, it would have been the biggest kick in the balls ever (keep in mind that to fans like me and Gary, we had never seen our team get that far, as opposed to you and Joe for example, who saw your team win a Cup less than a decade ago). You'd almost rather be put out of your misery early in the playoffs than have to endure that kind of heartbreak at the very end.

That is the absolute truth. I used to have a saying. When the Bruins were eliminated each year, I would always say, "Now I can enjoy the playoffs."

It's weird because as I was watching the run up to the 2011 cup, it was hard to watch because of last year. In some ways, it made me feel worse, but in some ways, it helped me come to grips. I can't wait for a new champion. I mean, the Blues were on a couple times a week, the all star game was in St. Louis. I mean, you can't escape it. :lol

Even though Boston sports teams have won 12 championships in the last 19 years, there's been 6 combined championship losses, and every one of those kill, like opportunities that slipped away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #669 on: April 29, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »

I have a different perspective.  I didn't start following hockey until around 1991.  At that point, the Kings were a 20-something year old franchise that had never had a ton of success and had never made it past the second round of the playoffs.  Despite having extracted Gretzky from Edmonton, they had lost to the Oilers three straight years and finished in third place in their division.  Although Edmonton didn't make the playoffs in 93, nothing much was expected.  That playoff run (and especially the conference finals against Toronto) was amazing.  Even thought the loss to Montreal in the SCF was gut-wrenching (even more so because of HOW it happened),   The Kings didn't win another playoff game until 2001 and didn't qualify for the playoffs in 11 of the seasons between 93/94 and 08/09 (and effectively didn't show up in 98 and 00).  THAT was terrible, so even before 2012, I wanted to see the Kings go as far as possible in the playoffs.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about the fate of the team that beats your team in the playoffs.  Do you want that team to win it all (so that you can say, "well, it took the eventual Cup winner to beat us") or do you want that team to lose as soon and badly as possible?  I always pull for the latter.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #670 on: April 29, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »
I always root against Boston.

It's been so long since the Leafs won a series, I don't know how to answer the earlier question.  I am still bitter about Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour.  TSN replayed that game a few weeks ago.   >:(  But otherwise, that was a great series.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #671 on: April 29, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about the fate of the team that beats your team in the playoffs.  Do you want that team to win it all (so that you can say, "well, it took the eventual Cup winner to beat us") or do you want that team to lose as soon and badly as possible?  I always pull for the latter.

I prefer to not lose to the eventual Cup winner, I suppose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #672 on: April 29, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
That is the absolute truth. I used to have a saying. When the Bruins were eliminated each year, I would always say, "Now I can enjoy the playoffs."

It's weird because as I was watching the run up to the 2011 cup, it was hard to watch because of last year. In some ways, it made me feel worse, but in some ways, it helped me come to grips. I can't wait for a new champion. I mean, the Blues were on a couple times a week, the all star game was in St. Louis. I mean, you can't escape it. :lol

Even though Boston sports teams have won 12 championships in the last 19 years, there's been 6 combined championship losses, and every one of those kill, like opportunities that slipped away.

I have used that line a few times as well. :lol

In fact, when the Blues missed the playoffs a few times in the last 15 years, I usually say, "At least I can enjoy the playoffs without any stress!" :lol :lol

I almost always want the team that beats the Blues to go down in flames as quickly as possible.  Sure, there are times where you can tell yourself, "See, we lost to the eventual champs and if we had just beaten them...," but that is just a way of coddling yourself.

It's been so long since the Leafs won a series, I don't know how to answer the earlier question.  I am still bitter about Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour.  TSN replayed that game a few weeks ago.   >:(  But otherwise, that was a great series.

I don't blame ya.  Had the Blues lost the series to the Sharks last year, I would have went to my grave cursing those freaking refs for the uncalled hand pass in Game 3. :censored :censored :censored

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
I mean, cmon... 8 fucking stitches!  His chin didn't cut itself.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #674 on: April 29, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
I am still bitter about Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour.

I'm still bitter about the Blues running Glimour out of town. Who care's if you shagged your babysitter....he's a heck of a player.

Well....I can say that had the Blues lost last year it'd have been DEVASTATING. But oddly....with the way that season and playoff was going.....i never feared them losing. If not for the (2) BS suspensions that series doesn't go 7 but I digress  :biggrin: Now, I'm not downplaying the gut punch it must have felt like to you and Joe....but, you do have a 'recent' Cup win and live in an area where Championships abound.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #675 on: April 29, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
I am still bitter about Gretzky's high stick on Gilmour.

I'm still bitter about the Blues running Glimour out of town. Who care's if you shagged your babysitter....he's a heck of a player.

I'm still bitter about that arbitrator ripping Scott Stevens away from us. >:( >:(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »
I'm still bitter about that arbitrator ripping Scott Stevens away from us. >:( >:(

This is the largest BS thing that has ever happened to an NHL franchise. Period. Outright thievery and behind the scenes favoritism. Every time I re-read and investigate what actually went down my blood boils.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #677 on: April 29, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »
So on May 24, 1988, I went to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. That's the game the lights went out. Believe it or not, the tickets were actually refunded, so we got to watch half a game of the Gretzky Oilers for free. The bad news was that the Cup was in the building, and we were really hoping to see it.

Here's some (not so great) pics I took during pregame warm ups.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:06:33 PM by TAC »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: April 29, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
Pretty cool stuff Tim  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #679 on: April 29, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »
Nice pics!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #680 on: April 29, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
Cool pics!

Game 4 of Blues/Hawks in the 1st round in 2016 is on right now.  I know we are going to win this game, yet the lopsided officiating is still aggravating the crap out of me. :lol :lol >:( >:(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #681 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
You guys are brutal, man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #682 on: April 29, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Trust me, this one was bad.  Corey Crawford, the Hawks goalie, instigated a fight and a scuffle, and despite their being no clear violations by either team during the scuffle, the Blues somehow came out of it shorthanded.  And then the Hawks scored a PP goal of course. 

Thank God I know that we win this game or else I'd be raging like it was last spring all over again. :eek :eek :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #683 on: April 29, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
It must be in the water out there? Are you guys like this with baseball?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #684 on: April 29, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
Well, we did have a World Series basically stolen from us once (f'ing Denkinger), but going down the rabbit hole of bitching about balls and strikes is dangerous.  That shit will drive you to drink. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #685 on: April 29, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
So will Jeff Suppan's baserunning. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #686 on: April 29, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »
Or Manny Ramirez "being Manny." :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #687 on: April 29, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »
The most hilarious thing he ever did was cut off Johnny Damon's throw from center field. I still laugh hysterically watching it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #688 on: April 29, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
Anyway, back to hockey. TAC, those are some great pics.  I would have loved to see Neely and Bourque go up against that stacked Edmonton team.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #689 on: April 29, 2020, 08:07:05 PM »
It wasn't even close, honestly. The B's were up and Craig Simpson had just tied it at 3-3 when the lights went out. I was so excited to see the Cup.

I don't remember there being an announcement, but the ushers came up the aisles telling everyone to leave.

My brother dialed and redialed for an hour and a half for those tickets.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
I remember falling asleep trying to stay awake only to have my brother and friend wake me up when they were upset with the game winning goal happened.

I had to be up at 5am for work.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
Well, FSN West is currently showing all of the Kings' wins in the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 and 2014 this week and Game 3 was on today.  I got some interesting stories of where I was at in life during that Finals run in 2012, but for me to tell this story right, I need to give a little backstory of where I was at in life in 2011.  Getting ready, this is another one of those lengthy wordy stories I like to tell at times.

So around April 2011, I wasn't really in a good place in life.  I got ADQ'ed in Cal Poly Pomona because I just didn't care about Computer Science.  Online Poker (the one thing I thought I could make decent money in, but basically sucked at money management at the time) in the states was going to go downhill due to many reasons that you can read elsewhere.  Not only that, around the same period of time that the Kings faced the Sharks for the first of four times, last decade, I had suffered some major diarrhea issues.  It may have came from me eating Taco Bell around the time, there was a scare eating at that place.  I can't remember the details. 

So I was retaking a course in Cal Poly (under the extended university thing which costs a lot more than if you were taking a regular course for a degree) to try to save face and hope to come back there in the future, and I don't know what happened, but on April 19th, 2011, that was officially the worst day of my life.  I had diarrhea issues, I was listening to Game 3 on the radio with crappy internet speed, and the Kings ran off to a 4-0 lead in the first period and somehow lost the game in OT and they had to go through all of this without Kopitar who was injured within the last few weeks of the season.  I've always hated the Sharks since then.  To add insult, Daniel Negreanu (famous poker player) went from being a poker idol of mine to being hated enemy in an instant when he jinxed the Kings when they had the lead in that game and cannot shut the f' up on Twitter about how they are going to be fine without Kopitar in the series and then after the game ended, he went all "Oops, I didn't know how to keep my mouth shut." and he tweeted it in such a smarmy approach that made me hate the guy forever.  That was one of the few occasions of my life where I really wanted to punch a person so badly.  Thankfully, he got to suffer last year in Game 7 when the Golden Knights (he lives in Vegas, of course) lost to the Sharks in the way they did (obviously, we here can argue all day about how BS that major penalty was), so I don't hate him as much now.

So fast forward, I was taking random classes here and there at Mt. Sac Community College to see where my life wants to go and I thought I wanted to go into Accounting (mainly off of being inspired by Duff McKagan and his 1st autobiography and how he went back to school and learned about finance and business in the late 90s-00s despite being in one of the biggest bands in history).  So I was taking a random computer Autocad course so that I can improve my chances of getting in line in getting into needed courses to start my accounting program.  So in that Kings' 2012 playoff, I've spent my days doing that course and watching the games on the side (it was a night course).  It also helped a lot that a guy that sat next to me in class was also a Kings' fan and was also watching the games in that great run.  We were both doing well in the class so I don't think the professor minded at all that we were watching hockey on the side.  I remember Game 3 of the Cup finals where Kings took so many dang penalties (including having to kill a 5 on 3 for a lengthy period of time) and we were killing all of them.  I might have shouted out loud in class saying, "ANOTHER PENALTY???"

Flash forward, three games later, that was a pretty pivotal day not just for the franchise, but life as I know it.  That morning, I was dropping my sister off from the train station (she actually works for the Kings in the marketing department) and as I was heading home, I had a nasty car accident.  I was making my turn and this lady ran a red light and crashed on right front side of my car.  There was smoke everywhere, bags popped up and the air bag doesn't smell very pleasant, surprise, surprise.  Manage to get my car to the right side of the street and I was in a very subtle state of shock and had bruises, but no major physical injury.  My initial thought when I came to was "my parents are not going to be happy about it." The person that crash came to me to apologize, then a security guard of the train station came by to inspect and then he reached out to the local police to do the reporting.  Then I called my parents so that they can do what they need to do in regards to insurance and whatnot.  Still drove to my community college that evening with a different car and it was the last day of school and watched the game.  I still joke to this day that I think I took one for the team that day, because if I hadn't got into that car accident that day, I don't think we would have won Game 6 in the fashion we did (we may have won game 6, but it wouldn't be in the dominating fashion that they did it with that big major penalty that lead to the 3 PP goals and we were sucking on the PP throughout the entire season).  Although, I think my favorite goal of that game was when Brown had the puck and one of the Devils ran into one of the refs in their zone trying to get to Brown, and it eventually led to Carter getting a goal.

That 2012 cup run represents the turning point of my life as I had some direction going from nowhere to wanting to go get an Associates program in Accounting.  That 2014 cup run represents another turning point of my life as I went from getting that Associates degree to being accepted back into Cal Poly Pomona and getting my Bachelor's degree in Accounting and naturally here I am now with a decent paying job for three years.  Good times.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:21:32 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #692 on: April 30, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »
Cool story, bro! :tup

(mainly off of being inspired by Duff McKagan and his 1st autobiography and how he went back to school and learned about finance and business in the late 90s-00s despite being in one of the biggest bands in history).

Not only likely the best rock autobiography I've read, but one of the best books I've read in general. Amazing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #693 on: April 30, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
Game 3 of the 2012 SCF was epic.  First SCF game I ever attended.  I think I was about halfway up in the middle of section 317 or 318.  That Williams to Brown to Kopitar tic-tac-toe goal was amazing, as was the Kings' penalty kill.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline pg1067

« Reply #695 on: May 04, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/the-all-time-7-tsn-s-toronto-maple-leafs-all-time-team-1.1472432

What do you think, Chad?

No Sittler??

Only three players who played post-1990 and only two who played in this century.

Ouch.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: May 04, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/the-all-time-7-tsn-s-toronto-maple-leafs-all-time-team-1.1472432

What do you think, Chad?

No Sittler??

Only three players who played post-1990 and only two who played in this century.

Ouch.

Well, from an original six team, and they’ve barely made the playoffs in the last 20 years, and no Cup finals lest alone a win in 50+, this is completely understandable.

Hard to argue with this list, given the required criteria.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #697 on: May 06, 2020, 08:18:00 PM »
Curious to see how they end up handling the draft, the Devils have two conditional first-round picks this year.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 08, 2020, 12:34:17 PM »
Tonight/Tomorrow/Sunday, TSN is airing all three games of the '87 Canada Cup final between USSR and Canada.  While I don't remember the specifics of those games - other than the Game 3 game-winning goal (Gretzky to Lemieux - it's an iconic goal), I do remember that those three games, and the '89 Stanley Cup Finals are etched in my memory as some of the best hockey I ever witnessed.  I've had the full games saved on YT for a while, but getting to see them re-broadcast will be most enjoyable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: May 08, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »
Nice! Unfortunately it doesn't look like the NHL Network is taking part in that. they have the 2020 All Star Game and then some gaming challenge. WTF?

I'll be watching the Sox win the 2004 World Series tonight.