Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64872 times)

Offline pg1067

I don't see them consciously impacting 2 seasons.  And considering players don't get paid for the post-season, I see zero chance the NHLPA would be on board with a shortened season next year just to get the playoffs in this year.

Players do get paid for the postseason.  It is correct that a player's salary pursuant to his contract is paid over the course of the season, regardless of whether his team makes the playoffs, and that the players earn no additional salary pursuant to their contracts during the postseason.  However, players whose teams make the playoffs receive additional compensation in the form of a playoff bonus pool that is distributed depending on how far each team advances.  The bonus pool for the 2019-20 season is $16 million.  In 2013, it was $13 million and was distributed as follows (I don't know what the distribution was for subsequent seasons):

• President's Trophy winner - $500k
  • First round losers - $250k to each of the eight teams
  • Second round losers - $500k to each of the four teams
  • Conference final losers - $1.25M to each of the two teams
  • SCF runner up - $2.25 million
  • SCF champ - $3.75 million

Each team's share is generally divided equally among its players on the active roster.

Granted, on a per game basis, that playoff money will be less than what most players earn during the regular season, but it's not chump change either.  Using those 2013 numbers, if we assume a roster with 25 players, a player on a team that got swept out of the first round (e.g., the Canucks) earned $2,500 per game.  On the other hand, players on the team that won the Cup would have earned $250k, which works out to $7,500 per game if it took 20 games to win it all (in 2013, it took Chicago 23 games to win, but 23 isn't a round number).  Over an 82 game season, $7,500 per game equates to a $615k salary, which was quite a bit over the league minimum for 2013 (and, of course, I'm disregarding that 2013 was a shortened season).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:11:35 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Season on hold
« Reply #596 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
If the coronavirus threat calms down in 4-6 weeks like some are saying (who knows if that is true?), I think it would make sense to just end the regular season as the standings are right now and start the playoffs in May or June.  Of course, the obvious drawback to that, from a competitive standpoint, is you'd have the playoffs starting with 16 teams who haven't played a real game in months.  Hard to know what the right thing to do is, but like Chad, I won't be surprised if they just call it a day for this season.  Starting the playoffs late and extending them into the summer too much would certainly affect the start of next season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #597 on: March 12, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
I think they should cancel the playoffs and award the Cup to which ever team has the best record in the league.

Just sayin'..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #598 on: March 12, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I think they should cancel the playoffs and award the Cup to the most recent Stanley Cup champion.

"To be the man, you have to beat the man."  :hat :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #599 on: March 12, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »
I think they should cancel the playoffs and award the Cup to the most recent Stanley Cup champion.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #600 on: March 12, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #601 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:14 PM »

I say give it to the team that won the last game before the season was put on hold or the team that has the highest winning streak right now.....   :hat

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
They would have to do SOME part of the regular season no matter what to make sure each team has played an equal number of games.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #603 on: March 13, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
They would have to do SOME part of the regular season no matter what to make sure each team has played an equal number of games.

They could just work off of point % instead of total # of points
Photobucket sucks.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #604 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
I don't think the teams would want to go from a suspended season directly into the playoffs. They would surely want some time to get their game back up to speed after a layoff, and practices aren't the same as game intensity. And nowhere near playoff game intensity.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #605 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
I thought re-watching the Blues Cup run last year would tide me over a bit. Watched each series highlights last night......it only made me more depressed largely due to what I've mentioned. You don't have a very big window in the salary cap era to have these types of championship chances.....the Blues had a legit shot to repeat. they didn't lose any major component.....were playing on a role and getting that 'look' refined heading into the playoffs.....you could just see and feel it. Now, even if there is some sort of abbreviated playoff.....it's all thrown off and defacto, for everyone.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 17, 2020, 01:10:27 PM »
A couple of weeks ago (before the "pause" of the season), I downloaded from YT the 3 games from the 1987 Canada Cup games ... Canada v USSR.  Can't wait to re-watch those.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #607 on: March 17, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »
Fox Sports Midwest is going to start showing past Cardinal and Blues games.....starting tomorrow. Blues v Leafs on 10/7/19 is one of them. I don't recall the specific game but I'm just assuming they'd select 'good' games to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #608 on: March 17, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
NHL Network had Flyers-Sabres '75 Cup Finals last night. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: March 17, 2020, 02:20:15 PM »
Fox Sports Midwest is going to start showing past Cardinal and Blues games.....starting tomorrow. Blues v Leafs on 10/7/19 is one of them. I don't recall the specific game but I'm just assuming they'd select 'good' games to watch.

That was the one where the Leafs got .... "Clowned".   ;) :P @ Kev.

Now that sounds fuckin awesome.

I still contend that the '87 and '91 Canada Cup tourney's were the best hockey I ever watched (1a and 1b), with the '89 Habs/Flames Cup Final a close 2nd

Offline pg1067

« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »

Nice!  When my wife changed our provider from Verizon FIOS to Spectrum, I got the Dodger channel but lost NHLN.  It's worth it to me, but I do miss NHLN.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »

That was the one where the Leafs got .... "Clowned".   ;) :P @ Kev.

Thread title updated just for you. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Reliving the Leafs getting clowned
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
See!?!!  Time PLUS tragedy equals comedy.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
Coronavirus hits the Sens. Apparently they played in LA one night after the Nets played there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »
Coronavirus hits the Sens. Apparently they played in LA one night after the Nets played there.

So the suggestion is surface transmission from the arena ... or more specifically, the locker room?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #615 on: March 18, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

So the suggestion is surface transmission from the arena ... or more specifically, the locker room?

The visiting hockey teams at Staples Center do not use the same locker rooms as the visiting basketball teams.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: March 18, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »

The visiting hockey teams at Staples Center do not use the same locker rooms as the visiting basketball teams.

Gotchya.   :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #617 on: March 18, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

Just repeating what I heard on the radio this morning. ;D

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #618 on: March 18, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »
Well, at least, no one in the Kings' organization is deemed as sick as of right now.

As of this time, no current member of our organization has demonstrated any signs or symptoms consistent with the onset of the COVID-19 virus and we will continue to monitor this on a daily basis.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1240420249880707072

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/la-kings-statement-on-ottawa-senators-positive-covid-19-test-result/c-316215648?linkId=100000011254826

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #619 on: March 22, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »
So they've been showing old Bruins games. Last night it was a game from 2003 in LA (Bergeron's first goal) and a playoff game from 1990 vs Hartford.

Tonight a 1984 game against Pittsburgh and a 1989 game against the Canadiens.

Reminding me how fucking good Ray Bourque was. He's the best D-man these eyes have ever seen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #620 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
My favorite Bruins game is Game 7 of last year's Finals.

Sorry, had to do it.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #621 on: March 22, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »
..no. You didn't have to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #622 on: March 22, 2020, 06:51:33 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #623 on: March 23, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »
Tonight's game is the Bruins vs Washington 3/7/94, where Cam Neely scores his 50th goal in 44 games.

Kev, there's a great fight featuring Craig Berube.

And keep the dick comments to yourself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #624 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
Haha, sir, yes, sir! :P

I don't really remember Berube as a player.  Based on what I've heard, though, I suspect he is one of those guys who you loved if he was on your team, but hated if he was on a rival.  Then again, there are a lot of players like that in hockey. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
Haha, sir, yes, sir! :P

I don't really remember Berube as a player.  Based on what I've heard, though, I suspect he is one of those guys who you loved if he was on your team, but hated if he was on a rival.  Then again, there are a lot of players like that in hockey. :lol :lol

I fucking love Craig Berube. Any other year I would've been rooting for the Blues. In this game he fights Jamie Huscroft (Who??) but it was fantastic.  Berube has a mullet down to his ass. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #626 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
I never would have had a mullet...maybe.

*hides*

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #627 on: March 23, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »
So apparently, NBC Sports Network had the Kings/Blackhawks Game 7 in the 2014 series on this afternoon.  I might as well tell a story of what I was going through that day.  That was quite the tolling game in which I recall I didn't watch the first half of it.  On that particular day, I went to church in the evening around the same time the game was starting.  Why?  Mainly, because I was attempting (and failing) to repair this relationship (mainly platonic, hoping for something more and better than that) with this woman that I had known for over 15 years, since kindergarten.  She was singing in the church choir along with a good friend of ours that was the conductor.  After mass, I was trying to see if I can get a conversation with her.  She wasn't interested at all.  Why?  I don't know.  Stuff happens.  Stuff just happens where at the end of the day, we just can't be good friends at that point.  Her life is set going one way and mine was going in another way and the path just cannot converge anymore.  It happens.

Anywho, back to the hockey.  Went to drive home, turned on the radio station that had the game and found that Kings were behind 4-3.  I just had a huge groan as I really didn't want them to lose to the Blackhawks, especially after they owned us in 2013.  Especially after leading the series 3-1 when I didn't think we would have this kind of lead against a really tough team in the Blackhawks.  One thing I observed in the Blackhawks' 2013 and 2014 run.  If you have them down, you got to keep them down.  Otherwise, they will just get back up and beat you, as evident in their series against the Red Wings in 2013 (where the Wings had that 3-1 lead and still didn't win).  I was just dreading the moment when it would happen that the Kings would go against the Blackhawks again.  Thankfully, in that particular 2014 playoff season, that Kings team was the team that wasn't going to go down quietly as well.

Prior to that 2014 series, the Blackhawks just owned us in the last two regular seasons and the 2013 series.  I just was hoping for either the Blues or the Wilds to take out the Blackhawks so that the Kings didn't have to face them.  I perceived the Blackhawks as the biggest challenger in the Kings' quest to regain the cup.  Even after humiliating the Sharks by owning them in 4 straight games despite being down 3-0.  Even after coming back from behind 3-2 to beat the Ducks.  Those achievements meant nothing if we had lost to the Blackhawks in that run.  Any other team left in that run, I can take it or leave it, whether it was the Rangers or the Habs.  The idea of losing against those teams would still sting, but the maximum pain inflicted would have been losing to the Blackhawks.  They were just too good and it was a very tolling 7 games series to follow for either fanbase of the Kings or the Blackhawks.

Anyway, I got home to finish watching the game and man, it was a slight relief to see the Kings tie it and it was especially the hugest relief when Martinez scored the winning goal.  I just knew then that despite how tough the Rangers was going to play (and they played really well), I had a great feeling they were going to win the cup after beating their biggest challenge in the Blackhawks.

Now it's years later, both teams suck (I think the Kings are on the up and up, we'll see next season), I still haven't mended the wounds of that relationship with the woman I mentioned, but I don't feel as sad about it now as I did in 2014.  Time heals all wounds and it's time to move on to better things.  Now if only this pandemic can stop and that we can enjoy watching live hockey again without fear of sickness.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:16:37 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #628 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
I just got over losing to the Hawks in 2013, and then BAM, we lose to the Blues.  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2020, 07:45:32 PM »
I just got over losing to the Hawks in 2013, and then BAM, we lose to the Blues.  :lol

Yeah, I was rooting for you guys in that finals in 2013 (and in 2011 against the Canucks).  Mainly due to the fact that I really hated the other two teams so much at the time.

I remember that there was that gif that I saw after Game 6 in the Cup Finals in 2013 where everyone in Chicago ran out of their bars into the streets in celebration after the game was over and now I can't find it.  Now I wonder if I was imaging it.

Edit: Oh sweet, found it.