Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64895 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Holy shit Zibanejad.

I love that guy. He was a Bruins killer when he played in Ottawa.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Henri Richard, dead at 84.

:sad:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Holy shit Zibanejad.

I love that guy. He was a Bruins killer when he played in Ottawa.

He’s my favorite player right now. I think he should be the Rangers next captain although it will probably be Kreider.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hot damn the Leafs’ inconsistency is beyond maddening.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The Panthers are begging the Leafs to take that playoff spot. It's like no one wants it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

The Panthers are begging the Leafs to take that playoff spot. It's like no one wants it. :lol

Rite?  Neither of them deserve it when NYI, Car, NYR, and CBJ are all performing better and fighting harder.

Tough set of games coming up for the Leafs - Tampa, Nashville, Boston, NJ, Isles, Columbus, Florida.  Florida still has 2 games in hand (Mtl tonight, and then makes up the other before the game vs the Leafs in 2 weeks).  Panthers have some (theoretically) easier opponents (NJ, Buf and Detroit between now and the Leafs game).

I still maintain that it would be better for the long run for this Leafs team to NOT make the playoffs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Isles have been sucking lately. Lost again today.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
True... I forgot how much they’ve slid in the past month.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
And they can keep sliding. Ottawa owns their first round pick
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Another big boy game tonight between the Bruins and Lightning.

Offline Anguyen92

Kings somehow find themselves on a 5-game winning streak at a point where they should tank.  That stated, it's really hard to suck worst than the Red Wings in the standings this year, so might as well give some of the guys they called up from Ontario that feeling to win games solidly at the highest level.  Looks like #30 in the standings will be contended by all three California teams and the Senators and thankfully Sharks/Senators went to OT today so they both got at least a point and they still have more pts than Kings.  Suckers......

This is also fun, since we are not contending for a spot, that we are playing spoiler against teams that do need the pts that is on the bubble for playoff spots like Wilds, Leafs, and Panthers.  This is the most fun and best feeling I had following the team this year.  Haven't had that feeling in a good while.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

What happened?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I still maintain that it would be better for the long run for this Leafs team to NOT make the playoffs.

You still want them to make the playoffs, though, right?  I mean, even if you don't think they have a realistic chance to make a deep run, it's just so fun to see your team in the playoffs, and it sucks watching the playoffs knowing that your team didn't make it.  Future be damned!! :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What happened?

For the 2nd time this week, the Bruins and Lightning played two of the most intense games of the year. The Bruins won earlier this week in Tampa and The Lightning won last night in Boston. There was like 3 brawls. It was old time hockey.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You still want them to make the playoffs, though, right?  I mean, even if you don't think they have a realistic chance to make a deep run, it's just so fun to see your team in the playoffs, and it sucks watching the playoffs knowing that your team didn't make it.  Future be damned!! :P

Actually, a very big part of me doesn’t want them to make the dance - the chances of them even getting out of the first round are minuscule. Yeah, yeah ....i know .... ’anything can happen’. I simply don’t see them getting past the Bolts. TBL isn’t gonna go out with back-to-back 1st round exits

Making the playoffs, and getting trounced by the Bolts is still going to be a step backwards for them. If this is going to be a backwards season, might as well go all-in, and get embarrassed as well... in the hopes that it knocks some sense into them and they come back much stronger next year. The Blues had to hit rock bottom (quite literally), before getting their shit together. The Leafs need to find their ‘bottom’ ... and a 1st round defeat isn’t it. It’d be too easy to just chalk it up to the fact they ran into a stronger, more talented, more experienced team.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

For the 2nd time this week, the Bruins and Lightning played two of the most intense games of the year. The Bruins won earlier this week in Tampa and The Lightning won last night in Boston. There was like 3 brawls. It was old time hockey.

I checked out the highlights. Old time hockey for sure. Good to see Maroon agitating them again. :coolio

Actually, a very big part of me doesn’t want them to make the dance - the chances of them even getting out of the first round are minuscule. Yeah, yeah ....i know .... ’anything can happen’. I simply don’t see them getting past the Bolts. TBL isn’t gonna go out with back-to-back 1st round exits

Making the playoffs, and getting trounced by the Bolts is still going to be a step backwards for them. If this is going to be a backwards season, might as well go all-in, and get embarrassed as well... in the hopes that it knocks some sense into them and they come back much stronger next year. The Blues had to hit rock bottom (quite literally), before getting their shit together. The Leafs need to find their ‘bottom’ ... and a 1st round defeat isn’t it. It’d be too easy to just chalk it up to the fact they ran into a stronger, more talented, more experienced team.

I get it, the "take one step back to take two steps forward" mentality.  Right now, it's easy to say that you can't imagine anyone beating Boston or TB in the 1st round, but crazy stuff can happen once playoff hockey kicks in.  Anything can happen, indeed. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Meanwhile, the Blues win 2-0 at Chicago thanks to another great performance by Jake Allen and sweep the Blackhawks for the first time ever.  When it comes to the regular season, it doesn't get any sweeter than that. :coolio :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Meanwhile, the Blues win 2-0 at Chicago thanks to another great performance by Jake Allen and sweep the Blackhawks for the first time ever.  When it comes to the regular season, it doesn't get any sweeter than that. :coolio :hat

2nd shutout for the year against Chicago for Allen. The Blackhawks are a shell of themselves. WTF happened?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

2nd shutout for the year against Chicago for Allen. The Blackhawks are a shell of themselves. WTF happened?

The sports gods finally decided to make things right. :biggrin:

Offline Anguyen92

Probably the same thing that took the Kings in a downward spiral.  Their big long-term contracts of Toews and Kane probably restricted them to make any solid exchanges and other teams in the central gotten really better since the Blackhawks cup wins.  I'm certain that ditching Joel Quenneville after 15 games and being .500 at the start in 2018 probably hurt them than helped them.  Don't know.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:10:37 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Fan-less games in San Jose and Columbus coming up.  I'm not sure I'd want to wager whether it'll be league wide by the end of the season.  Same with the Dubs / NBA.

Gonna be weird.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Fan-less games in San Jose and Columbus coming up.  I'm not sure I'd want to wager whether it'll be league wide by the end of the season.  Same with the Dubs / NBA.

Gonna be weird.

If we have a rest of the season.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Gonna be weird.

If we have a rest of the season.

Based on yesterday, I think both leagues are done.  I simply don't see a scenario where the NHL can't follow suit and take *preventative* measures now that the NBA has had to take *reactive* measures.  Additionally, I cant fathom things stabilizing enough to re-start in 4 weeks (for the NBA).  Things are only going to get worse, not better.

So yeah... my money would be that both leagues are now done for this season, including playoffs.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
So yeah... my money would be that both leagues are now done for this season, including playoffs.

As a Blues fan of a team that has as more than legit a shot as any past champion at a repeat....this really sucks. I know repeating as Stanley Cup Champs is probably the most difficult thing in sports to do, but I like(d) the Blues chances this year. A prime year in the window of limited seasons that finely tuned teams get to make solid runs at the Cup taken away by a dickhead virus. That's my selfish take on it.

In all seriousness, I don't see how the NHL can not follow suite. And, depending on the coming weeks/months.....the MLB has a decision to make as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
The NHL is making their decision today, and i really hope they don't cancel the season. And not just because the Oilers might actually make the playoffs for a change, but also because i believe it would be an overreaction. Covid-19 is serious, no doubt, but it's not the plague. It's not the Spanish flu. Hell, it's not even as severe as regular influenza. Maybe I'll be eating those words 3 months from now, but i don't think such drastic measures are necessary.

Ironically, my company is holding its annual 'safety summit' this week despite corona concerns, where all 3000 employees are cramming into a convention hall together.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The NHL is making their decision today, and i really hope they don't cancel the season. And not just because the Oilers might actually make the playoffs for a change, but also because i believe it would be an overreaction. Covid-19 is serious, no doubt, but it's not the plague. It's not the Spanish flu. Hell, it's not even as severe as regular influenza. Maybe I'll be eating those words 3 months from now, but i don't think such drastic measures are necessary.

Ironically, my company is holding its annual 'safety summit' this week despite corona concerns, where all 3000 employees are cramming into a convention hall together.

You're clearly not following the news closely enough.  It's worse - from a communicability standpoint, and mortality rate.  Much worse.

Also, ATP and MLS just suspended/cancelled their seasons/events.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
wonder if they'd consider playing to empty venues? just to get the season and playoffs in?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
My guess is that the NHL relies too much on paid attendance for their money to be able to pay the players to perform in empty arenas. They make much less from TV deals and such than the other major sports leagues.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
My guess is that the NHL relies too much on paid attendance for their money to be able to pay the players to perform in empty arenas. They make much less from TV deals and such than the other major sports leagues.

Yeah....I'm sure you're right. I'm just hoping that the season isn't done and over with. As I said....selfishly this season is right in the window of seasons for the Blues to make their mark on history and it sucks to have it taken away. But, that's just the way it goes I guess.....

Offline Anguyen92

Well, if this season gets postponed/cancelled, I'll be happy knowing that the Kings finished around 29th place and below and ended the season with a 7 game winning streak and has a group of solid young players again.  Future's bright once again.

Offline Anguyen92

I'm going to cry now.  The season is now suspended to no one's surprise.  It's the right move to make, but still.  You hate to see a season end prematurely and it's not even Bettman's fault.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Unsurprising.  There really wasn't any other option.

I predict if - *IF* - the league resumes, they'll just lock the standings as is (normalizing for games in hand - NYI is the only team with games in hand that could put them into a playoff position) and then go straight to the playoffs.  Best-of-5 series' for the first 3 rounds; best of 7 for the finals.

But if I were a betting person, I'd say the season is done-done.  For both leagues.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Unsurprising.  There really wasn't any other option.

I predict if - *IF* - the league resumes, they'll just lock the standings as is (normalizing for games in hand - NYI is the only team with games in hand that could put them into a playoff position) and then go straight to the playoffs.  Best-of-5 series' for the first 3 rounds; best of 7 for the finals.

But if I were a betting person, I'd say the season is done-done.  For both leagues.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards done-done. A friend proposed that they could resume in a couple months (maybe June), and then just reduce next season to 48 games. Resuming in June would have playoffs wrap up near the end of summer, which would leave a shortened off-season before beginning again in December with training camp.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't see them consciously impacting 2 seasons.  And considering players don't get paid for the post-season, I see zero chance the NHLPA would be on board with a shortened season next year just to get the playoffs in this year.

Done-done, with the hopes of life back to some form of normal come September.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Sounds like the NHL has asked the teams for their arena availability through the end of July. That could pose another hurdle if the teams don't have adequate access to their rinks to accommodate a changed schedule, especially if they share with NBA teams