Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64926 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. The champs are in trouble
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2020, 07:35:48 PM »
And yet, most would kill to gave him on their team.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2020, 07:37:08 PM »
Marchand is to the NHL what Bill Laimbeer was to the NBA. A really good player who everyone hates unless he's on your team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
I missed what everyone is talking about apparently. I only watched the 3rd period today, and didn't see this mentioned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
At some level, I’m kinda hoping the Leafs miss the playoffs. With current course and spend, the Metro will have 5 in the playoffs, meaning they’d have to finish 3rd in the Atlantic to get in. And then get the honour of playing either the Bruins or Lightning - the 1-2 teams in the league atm. I honestly think it’d be better for them in the long run to miss, rather than a 4th straight opening round exit. It’ll be easier to make excuses if they were to lose to the #2 team in the league; there would be no excuses for missing the post season outright. The shame and embarrassment would hang with them all summer, and then fuel them for next year.

That’s my thought at least

And yeah .... Marchand getting nailed made up for the drubbing the Sabres put on the Leafs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2020, 07:09:20 AM »
Apparently I'm not paying attention but how in the hell does Blake Coleman fetch a 1st and a prospect?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2020, 07:33:20 AM »
Apparently I'm not paying attention but how in the hell does Blake Coleman fetch a 1st and a prospect?

Dude is an *elite* penalty killer and scoring at a second line pace (has a shot at 30 goals this year), and he's under contract next year for less than $2 million
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
OK, thank you.

Sounds like someone the Devils should be hanging onto then, no? I mean they're getting a late 1st rounder, but it seems Coleman is giving you late 1st Round production already.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #497 on: February 17, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
OK, thank you.

Sounds like someone the Devils should be hanging onto then, no? I mean they're getting a late 1st rounder, but it seems Coleman is giving you late 1st Round production already.

I think this is management thinking they won't really be competitive next year either. Pretty much expecting everone who isn't Hischier, Hughes, or Blackwood to be available in trade talks between now and the deadline.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #498 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:06 PM »
Well, those murmurs that Toffoli is going to get traded has come true.  Got traded to the Canucks and we get one of their players. a second round pick, and a prospect and a conditional pick from the Canucks if they choose to resign Toffoli.  It sucks losing Toffoli, but no point wasting his prime years with a team that's really in doubt if they can be a solid team to make to the playoffs and win playoff series again in the near future.  I think we got a good return in the end.

At least, he's reunited with Tanner Pearson.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1229574332483018757

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1229576403533869060

Online pg1067

« Reply #499 on: February 17, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
Well, those murmurs that Toffoli is going to get traded has come true.  Got traded to the Canucks and we get one of their players. a second round pick, and a prospect and a conditional pick from the Canucks if they choose to resign Toffoli.  It sucks losing Toffoli, but no point wasting his prime years with a team that's really in doubt if they can be a solid team to make to the playoffs and win playoff series again in the near future.  I think we got a good return in the end.

At least, he's reunited with Tanner Pearson.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1229574332483018757

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1229576403533869060

So...I think we're now down to 7 players from the two Cup winning teams.  6 and 8 years have never felt like such a LONG time!

Kopitar
Brown
Carter
Lewis
Doughty
Martinez
Quick

I read one thing that seemed to suggest that the "prospect" is a good player.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:40:12 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
Tyler Madden was huge for Northeastern in their Beanpot victory last week. I watched their epic game against BU.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
Fuck the Leafs, and fuck them hard.  Goddamn they are pissing away their talent by relying on it to much, and just mentally not executing or putting in the effort.  Pittsburgh made them look like a minor league team last night.  Just embarrassing - especially coming of an even bigger embarrassment at the hands of the Sabres. They're quite adept at finding new and pathetic ways to lose games.  Give up early goals ... done it.  Against Dallas last week, all 3 goals against were in the first 90 seconds of a period.  Blow a lead ... been there.  Let a winnable game slip away... oh yeah, I think they've had 10ish games where they've been at least tied in the 3rd period, and failed to get the loser point.  Special teams was the culprit last night .... Pitt was 3/3 on the PP, and Leafs 0/4 - including a minute+ that was 5-3 and they threw out 5 forwards - Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Hyman... that's a $42M line, and they managed 1 shot on a 5-3!  Then promptly gave up a goal after Pitt killed both penalties.

I'm feeling a Gary level rage post coming on in the next couple weeks.  21 games to go, and if they don't throw out a heater streak given some of their upcoming opponents (Canes, Panthers, then the 3 Cali teams), they're toast.  While I don't particularly want to root against 'my' team, I truly believe missing the playoffs might be the best thing for the course of the next 4-5 years that they have their 'big-4' locked up for.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:40:15 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #502 on: February 19, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
I was watching that game last night Chad and I was thinking of you.

I have some thoughts too, but I need top collect them.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #503 on: February 19, 2020, 07:40:10 PM »
So...I think we're now down to 7 players from the two Cup winning teams.  6 and 8 years have never felt like such a LONG time!

Kopitar
Brown
Carter
Lewis
Doughty
Martinez
Quick

I read one thing that seemed to suggest that the "prospect" is a good player.  We'll see.

Well, cross off Martinez from that list as well.  Got traded today to the Golden Knights for two 2nd round picks (one in 2020 and one in 2021).  Never forget those moments he scored the series winner against the Blackhawks in a very nerve-wrecking series (I think people voted it the greatest NHL playoff series of the decade.  I don't blame them) and of course, the cup-winning goal against the Rangers in 2014 in the longest home game that Kings ever had and them jazz hands celebration.  Shoot.  All of the guys that was part of that goal (Clifford, Toffoli, and Martinez) are all gone now.  The rebuilding is now starting to be reality (well, it already is, but with these trades.  It's now setting in).

I think Carter may be the next to go as well.

Online pg1067

« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »

Kopitar
Brown
Carter
Lewis
Doughty
Martinez
Quick

Well, cross off Martinez from that list as well.  Got traded today to the Golden Knights for two 2nd round picks (one in 2020 and one in 2021).  Never forget those moments he scored the series winner against the Blackhawks in a very nerve-wrecking series (I think people voted it the greatest NHL playoff series of the decade.  I don't blame them) and of course, the cup-winning goal against the Rangers in 2014 in the longest home game that Kings ever had and them jazz hands celebration.  Shoot.  All of the guys that was part of that goal (Clifford, Toffoli, and Martinez) are all gone now.  The rebuilding is now starting to be reality (well, it already is, but with these trades.  It's now setting in).

I think Carter may be the next to go as well.

Yup....

The thing that pisses me off is that the Kings were crap for most of the 2000s.  They returned to the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 (first round losses, but progress).  They won the Cup in 2012, but only after eeking into the 8th seed (after losing 3 of the last 4 games but earning a point in each of those 3 losses).  They were picked by many to repeat in 2013 and had a solid season (2nd in the Pacific and a loss to Chicago in a very competitive WCF).  They were 3rd in the Pacific in 2013-14 and gave us that white knuckle ride playoff run to another Cup.  And then it's been mostly crap since then (two first round playoff losses in 2016 and 2018).

And then I look at teams like the Penguins.  They played for the Cup in 2008 and won in 2009 and then won it twice more in 2016 and 2017.  And they've been to the playoffs every year since 2007, finished 1st in their division thrice and only twice finished worse than 2nd.  I get that they've got Crosby and Malkin, but that sort of sustained success (the same sort of thing the Wings had for two decades) is something I'm so jealous of.  The Kings are making the two Cups look like a fluke.  The knee-jerk firing of Dean Lombari three years ago was, IMO, a big mistake.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:22:43 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »
I'm feeling a Gary level rage post coming on in the next couple weeks. 

DO IT....DO IT......DO IT......

:corn
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: February 20, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
I'm feeling a Gary level rage post coming on in the next couple weeks. 

DO IT....DO IT......DO IT......

:corn

Stay tuned... it might be coming out tonight.  What pisses me off most about that game the other night, is that it was on the heels of a bad collapse against the FUCKING SABRES, where your coach called you all out publicly. Harshly.  Embarrassingly.
 And the team responds with a game just as pathetic, against the 3rd best team in the league.  Honestly, the defensive effort on the 4th goal against looked like what you'd see in a pre-game warmup.  And I'm not being hyperbolic.

The loss of Morgan Reilly has been huge.  55 goals against since he went out - worst in the league.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »

The thing that pisses me off is that the Kings were crap for most of the 2000s.  They returned to the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 (first round losses, but progress).  They won the Cup in 2012, but only after eeking into the 8th seed (after losing 3 of the last 4 games but earning a point in each of those 3 losses).  They were picked by many to repeat in 2013 and had a solid season (2nd in the Pacific and a loss to Chicago in a very competitive WCF).  They were 3rd in the Pacific in 2013-14 and gave us that white knuckle ride playoff run to another Cup.  And then it's been mostly crap since then (two first round playoff losses in 2016 and 2018).

And then I look at teams like the Penguins.  They played for the Cup in 2008 and won in 2009 and then won it twice more in 2016 and 2017.  And they've been to the playoffs every year since 2007, finished 1st in their division thrice and only twice finished worse than 2nd.  I get that they've got Crosby and Malkin, but that sort of sustained success (the same sort of thing the Wings had for two decades) is something I'm so jealous of.  The Kings are making the two Cups look like a fluke.  The knee-jerk firing of Dean Lombari three years ago was, IMO, a big mistake.

That is an awful lot of complaining from a fan whose team has won two Cups in the last decade. :P

Online pg1067

« Reply #508 on: February 20, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
That is an awful lot of complaining from a fan whose team has won two Cups in the last decade. :P

Point taken.  But still....

Online pg1067

« Reply #509 on: February 21, 2020, 11:05:26 AM »
So...the Kings called up Gabriel Vilardi from the AHL's Ontario Reign, and he played his first game last night.  His first shift began about 75 seconds into the game, and less than 10 seconds after jumping on the ice, he scored his first NHL goal!

https://www.nhl.com/video/vilardis-first-nhl-goal/t-313077532/c-5271580

He finished the night with a goal and an assist in a little over 15 minutes TOI, AND he won 13 of 16 faceoffs (81.3%).  Not a bad debut!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
So...the Kings called up Gabriel Vilardi from the AHL's Ontario Reign, and he played his first game last night.  His first shift began about 75 seconds into the game, and less than 10 seconds after jumping on the ice, he scored his first NHL goal!

https://www.nhl.com/video/vilardis-first-nhl-goal/t-313077532/c-5271580

He finished the night with a goal and an assist in a little over 15 minutes TOI, AND he won 13 of 16 faceoffs (81.3%).  Not a bad debut!

Wow.  That was fast!  :omg:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: February 21, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
I'll just say thanks for beating the Panthers in regulation.   :tup

Bruins finally unload Backes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2020, 08:32:43 PM »
After a rough stretch following the All-Star break, the Blues have their shit together.  They have looked great all week and are currently pummeling the Stars in Dallas, 5-0, and it is like watching men against boys.  This is fun.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: February 22, 2020, 05:06:30 AM »
It's amazing that the same team that got clowned - yes, this time they were "clowned" - by Buffalo and Pitt back-to-back, could play the next game against Pitt and absolutely dominate them 4-0.  This is the most frustrating thing about this team... the inconsistency.  If they can string a couple of these games together, that would be encouraging.  I still am not confident they can get past either of Tampa or Boston though.  Three games against Tampa in the next 6 weeks though.  Plus a couple against Florida, and the usual 3-in-4 nights in California.  All of those will dictate their fate.  They need to get 6 points in California, regular time wins against the Panthers, and at least a split with Tampa.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: February 22, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
Hopefully the Leafs can come back against the 42 y/o emergency goalie tonight. :lol

EDIT: Classy response by the Toronto fans to the goalie after the game. Seriously.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:56:50 PM by TAC »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #515 on: February 22, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
Rangers suddenly in the thick of the playoff hunt. I knew going into this year that they would have some fight in them, but I never expected them to be as good as they are. No matter what happens this year, I’m proud of this team.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:32 PM »
And I thought back to back 5-2 losses earlier this week was a new low for the Leafs.

Kev ... full permission to use “clown” in the thread title while describing the Leafs. That honestly has to be the most embarrassing game in the history of the franchise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Leafs beaten by a 42-year old Zamboni driver
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
That's actually a cool story, seeing the Zamboni driver get to come in, play, and get a win.  I updated the thread title, but kept it nice. :biggrin:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Leafs beaten by a 42-year old Zamboni driver
« Reply #518 on: February 23, 2020, 05:27:30 AM »
I just saw that the EBUG played 29 minutes. Half the fucking game. . How the hell did the Leafs lose lol? I assumed it was a few minutes at the end or something.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2020, 06:02:21 AM »
The Leafs are an absolute joke, and while the fans and the city have been fearing and feeling it for a while, now the entire fucking league, and all NHL fans know it.  On a day when Ovi gets 700, he's not even the lead headline.  Ayers' (the emerg backup) last professional game was 5 years ago in some 'senior' league where he gave up 11 goals on 46 shots.  And the Leafs had him for 1/2 the game, managing I think 8 shots on him.  Some credit is deserved to Carolina, who played like it was a one-goal lead in Game 7 of the Cup finals.  But the Leafs were beyond pathetic.  They were clowned - that is the right term this time.  They proved beyond a shadow of any doubt, they are incapable of working hard, or wanting the win more than their opposition.  They simply are not right in the head.  They have the skill, they showed (in the 4-0 win against Pitt) that they are CAPABLE of putting forth the effort, but with this game, they showed they are INCAPABLE of doing it consistently.  Hell, they couldn't even do it 2 games in a row.  Winning in the NHL (hell, any sport) is hard.  Losing is easy.  Leafs clearly prefer to take the easy route.

14 games since the all-star break .... first 2 (v Stars and Preds) they looked really good.  Then they fell apart.  4 wins in OT, 2 of them against teams coming off a game the night before (which was also the case against Carolina last night), 2 of which were against 'lesser' teams .... Ottawa, Anaheim.  As Keefe said the other day, they seem to want to go thru the process by finding new ways to embarrass themselves.  They are running out of time to 'fix' this, and their only saving grace at the moment is that Florida isn't putting up very many Ws.

It's just simply embarrassing the way the Leafs are earning their Ls.  And the trade deadline isn't going to offer anything to change that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2020, 07:04:24 AM »
Oh, and lets not forget that this 42-year old Zamboni driver WORKS FOR THE LEAFS ORGANIZATION.  He's their regular practice goalie!  Oh, and he also had a shot-on-goal, which is more than can be said for Nylander.

Marchand after missing the shootout puck: this has got to be the most embarrass....
Entire leafs team: hold our beers

The entire team should've been forced to take the media podium one at a time.

Curious to know how they'll top (bottom?) this one.

Fuck them hard... fuck them long.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:20 AM »
Funny thing is that they're still very likely to be in the playoffs so long as they can keep Florida at bay. Disappointing for all the Metro teams that'll finish more points than the Leafs, but their current 72pts would place them 5th in the weaker West

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2020, 12:41:06 PM »
Got back home in time to see the 3rd period of this Caps/Pens game. Fun game from what I've seen.  Malkin had a highlight-reel goal, but Oshie scored and has the Caps back in front with a few left.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #523 on: February 23, 2020, 12:47:37 PM »
I like seeing the Leafs struggle only because Auston Matthews rubs me the wrong way. He just doesn’t strike me as a likeable person. He is one of the most reliable performers for them though, so he’s not much of the issue. Jingle, is there a lack of leadership on the team? Auston seems to dodge questions when the team is struggling, Marner seems pretty vocal in the media, but Tavares is the only one I see blurbs from the most. There just doesn’t seem to be accountability on the team, and Dubas is starting to look like an idiot. Is he on the hot seat?

Sorry, lots of questions.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #524 on: February 23, 2020, 10:36:38 PM »
Oil acquire Mike Greene for basically a handwritten I.O.U for  a box of Girl Guide cookies. I realize he's not the same player he was when he was scoring 30 for Washington, but he was basically free.