Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64851 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Leafs starting over
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
Speaking of Bowman, shouldn’t Stan be catching some heat on this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2019, 12:44:29 PM »
This was all the news yesterday. Lots of talk of it being s tipping point for hockey - not just NHL, but minor and kids hockey - how old school coaching that sometimes includes abuse, mind games, and abuse of power, is gonna take a hard and fast fall.

In other words, say goodbye to d-bag coaches the likes of Mike Keenan.

Not exactly.  Keenan is well known (hell, Bowman too) to have been a tough coach, but most would say he's not a douche of a human.  I think we'll be saying goodbye to douchebag people / behaviour in the locker room.

Is this the same Mike Keenan who reportedly benched Dale Hawerchuk because he knew his dying grandmother was coming to see him play one last time?

Sorry, but I cannot get on board with any defense of Keenan.  He is the worst.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
This was all the news yesterday. Lots of talk of it being s tipping point for hockey - not just NHL, but minor and kids hockey - how old school coaching that sometimes includes abuse, mind games, and abuse of power, is gonna take a hard and fast fall.

In other words, say goodbye to d-bag coaches the likes of Mike Keenan.

Not exactly.  Keenan is well known (hell, Bowman too) to have been a tough coach, but most would say he's not a douche of a human.  I think we'll be saying goodbye to douchebag people / behaviour in the locker room.

If only that meant bye bye Marchand.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »

Sorry, but I cannot get on board with any defense of Keenan.  He is the worst.

He sure is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2019, 08:22:40 PM »
What the hell, Carey Price.  Man oh man, are you off your game.  Not that I mind, it's helping the Leafs' position in the Atlantic.

Hoping the Leafs can take both against a slumping Buffalo... but no team can slump forever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »
Jesus the B's are on a tear.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
And the Leafs can't get out of their own way.

Pasta and Marchand are unreal.  The former could be the first guy to get 50 in 50 since the early 90s.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
The injury keeps hitting the Blues, yet their keep winning.  The Blues took a 1-0 lead in Dallas last night in the 1st period, and then withstood an assault from the Stars for nearly two periods as Jake Allen stood on his head (so did Bishop on their side, quite frankly) and held them off.  The Stars finally broke through with a little over 3 minutes left, tying the game...only to see the Blues score 18 seconds later to take the lead right back (and later added an empty netter to seal the win).  So good. :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »
Kev. While I agree the Blues are looking good the description of an ‘assault’ by the Stars is pretty generous. Blues controlled that game for 56 minutes with Dallas’s goal being pretty fortunate.

The ‘next man up’ mentality is a testament to Berube and the leadership of the veterans. Beating the Lightning in the road and then Dallas on the road was impressive. Especially being both games were controlled by the Blues.

Jake Allen has found his footing as a back up and especially a road goalie. I don’t have his stats handy but they’re pretty solid.....especially ever since Berube took over.

Blues have a good system and team chemistry/atmosphere going right now undoubtedly fueled and bolstered by winning the Cup. I’m already greedy and want a repeat. I know it’s u likely but I have every expectation of a deep Cup run.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »
Kev. While I agree the Blues are looking good the description of an ‘assault’ by the Stars is pretty generous. Blues controlled that game for 56 minutes with Dallas’s goal being pretty fortunate.

I know, but my spin helped me shape the narrative of my post a little better, hehe.

But yeah, the leadership on this team is stellar, starting with Berube, and then trickling down to Petro and O'Reilly.  They keep losing guys, yet keep winning.  Let's hope the latter continues, but not the former. 

Jake Allen playing well again is huge, and considering he will probably end up starting 20-25 games, him rounding back into form could be the difference between winning the division and ending up as a wild card or lower seed.  Not that the Blues necessarily need home ice to win the Cup again (see: last year's playoffs), but it's something you always want, of course.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Alex Burrows in Canucks Ring Of Honor?? WUT?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
Alex Burrows in Canucks Ring Of Honor?? WUT?

This is the Canucks we're talking about.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Still waiting for the Leafs to hit rock bottom. I still think there's another 2-3 weeks before they begin to trend up. If not, then they'll be 'sellers' come February. It's really stunning how much they've regressed, and lost any  sound defensive play.

As the old saying goes, will beats skill... and they don't seem to have much in the way of will.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »
Still waiting for the Leafs to hit rock bottom. I still think there's another 2-3 weeks before they begin to trend up. If not, then they'll be 'sellers' come February. It's really stunning how much they've regressed, and lost any  sound defensive play.

As the old saying goes, will beats skill... and they don't seem to have much in the way of will.

I don't know what you're complaining about, I had a great time watching the Leafs game the other night. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »

I don't know what you're complaining about, I had a great time watching the Leafs game the other night. :D

I'll bet!  I turned it off with the EN goal, and then when I saw the final at 6-1, I was like WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUQ!?!?!?  It was an awesome game for 56 minutes - Hart looked like a hall-of-famer.  You guys got a stud there.  Then the Leafs folded like a $4 pair of khakis.

Last night, just a freak random play that led to the game-winning SH goal by the Avs.  I will say, if the Leafs offense doesn't get going, they better practice their 6-on-5 scheme's a little better.  They've given up 6 EN goals on 12 pulled goalie scenarios - 2nd worst in the league, only ahead of Detroit.

And now a 4-game road trip.  I think StL will be a closely fought game, but a loss.  Edmonton will blow them out.  Calgary or Vancouver will be their rock-bottom, and then they'll put a string of good games together before Christmas.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Nice to see Joe Thornton is still the POS that he's always been. Cheap shot artist until the end. It drove me insane that NBC and the Hockey World had this huge hard on for him in last years playoffs....glorifying him as if he were this hockey God that 'deserved' to play for/win the Cup. He's a thug....shoot....he single handedly or should I say single elbowly stole a year of David Perron's career with a cheap shot to the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLehASO_2Q

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
Nice to see Joe Thornton is still the POS that he's always been. Cheap shot artist until the end. It drove me insane that NBC and the Hockey World had this huge hard on for him in last years playoffs....glorifying him as if he were this hockey God that 'deserved' to play for/win the Cup. He's a thug....shoot....he single handedly or should I say single elbowly stole a year of David Perron's career with a cheap shot to the head.

I could not agree more.  Seeing his old ass getting knocked out of the playoffs last year and denied a chance to play for the Cup made the series win over the Sharks that much sweeter, which was already pretty damn sweet following the Game 3 OT debacle.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »

Last night, just a freak random play that led to the game-winning SH goal by the Avs.

I saw that this morning.  :lol

Oh, man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Leafs clown the Blues in St Louis
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
Because I am a fair guy, the thread title has been updated. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »

To be fair, I don't think they clowned the Blues ... I think Bennington clowned himself. He had an off night, and Andersen had an on night.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »

To be fair, I don't think they clowned the Blues ... I think Bennington clowned himself. He had an off night, and Andersen had an on night.

Perhaps not, but I had to change the thread title to that, after the one I had when the Blues won in Toronto, for the sake of fairness, and to add a little levity.  :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »

Perhaps not, but I had to change the thread title to that, after the one I had when the Blues won in Toronto, for the sake of fairness, and to add a little levity.  :coolio

Consider me levited.   ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
Get a room you two.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »

I could not agree more.  Seeing his old ass getting knocked out of the playoffs last year and denied a chance to play for the Cup made the series win over the Sharks that much sweeter, which was already pretty damn sweet following the Game 3 OT debacle.

To be fair, Mrazek certainly embellished that.  But then again, Joe knows all about embellishment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepHLTIMW2E

For a better angle:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »

To be fair, Mrazek certainly embellished that.  But then again, Joe knows all about embellishment:

For a better angle:

It's not about Mrazek embellishing it. It's the fact that Thornton jams at the puck after it's clearly covered for a solid two/three seconds.....and when the goalie skates over to chide or bark at him he cheap shots the dude. It wasn't a concussion inducing punch or anything.....he saves those for unsuspecting players when they're skating.....but it was just a cheap shot from a cheap player.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »

For a better angle:

It's not about Mrazek embellishing it. It's the fact that Thornton jams at the puck after it's clearly covered for a solid two/three seconds.....and when the goalie skates over to chide or bark at him he cheap shots the dude. It wasn't a concussion inducing punch or anything.....he saves those for unsuspecting players when they're skating.....but it was just a cheap shot from a cheap player.

Just so we're clear, I'm not endorsing Joe's behavior, because I think he's a diving, flopping, cheap-shotting assbag.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2019, 01:49:34 PM »
Just so we're clear, I'm not endorsing Joe's behavior, because I think he's a diving, flopping, cheap-shotting assbag.

You and I both. Prior to last post season....I just kind of was indifferent to him. Knew he was a sleezy player but really didn't let it get to me too much. Then all the drooling and oogleing and ahhhhing that NBC threw at him during their playoff run put me over the edge pertaining to him. It was so over the top it should have been embarrassing to them. They put lipstick and an expensive dress and expensive high heels on that pig.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »

You and I both. Prior to last post season....I just kind of was indifferent to him. Knew he was a sleezy player but really didn't let it get to me too much. Then all the drooling and oogleing and ahhhhing that NBC threw at him during their playoff run put me over the edge pertaining to him. It was so over the top it should have been embarrassing to them. They put lipstick and an expensive dress and expensive high heels on that pig.

Yep.  That's always been my complaint about NBC's hockey coverage.  They have their narratives and they stick with them no matter what.  I remember the Cup finals in 08 and 09, and they were absolutely falling all over themselves to anoint the Penguins as the next Stanley Cup dynasty.  Like, they were mad at the Red Wings for getting in Sidney Crosby's way.  And then, when Pittsburgh didn't pan out, they made the hard pivot to the Blackhawks, and Jonathan Toews.  As a fan of the sport in general, it pisses me off that NBC tries to force these narratives down the viewers' throats.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
So coaches are getting fired left and right.  Stars coach just got fired.   Peter DeBoer got fired from the Sharks today.  Meanwhile, they are holding a record of only one win under .500 for the year and can probably turn it around with a couple of good streaks here and there and they were like "off with the coach."  Meanwhile, I look at the Kings record and I weep hard of the fact that they are 6 wins under .500 wishing they were only one win under .500 since that indicates hope that they can be a good team.  The record they have now gives me no hope and it's probably a wash of a season which is a sucky feeling to have.

On a brighter side, they are playing the Ducks tomorrow at the Honda Center and I'm hoping for a good nosebleed center view seat at around less than $40.00 or so to scoop.  Here's to wishful thinking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2019, 07:34:59 PM »

On a brighter side, they are playing the Ducks tomorrow at the Honda Center and I'm hoping for a good nosebleed center view seat at around less than $40.00 or so to scoop.  Here's to wishful thinking.

Shoot, nosebleeds here are $120 to start.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »

Shoot, nosebleeds here are $120 to start.

That's because your team is doing great.  The two teams between the Kings and the Ducks are nicely sucktastic which equals potential cheaper seats in the nosebleeds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
Same. You see the Panthers' arena??  $40 could probably get you the first 5 rows!  Even the Sabres couldn't fill the arena against the defending champs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
We just bought out Christmas Bruins tickets and it would've been more than half the price to drive to Long Island.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
Tim, upper deck?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
Tim, upper deck?

Yeah! It's fucking ridiculous.