Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 65146 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Leafs starting over
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
The funny thing is that it is okay for fans to think and joke about it, but the team can't think that way or else they will never get over that mental hurdle, and to be fair, I doubt most teams think about that kind of stuff.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
Damn, if you had told me Babcock would be out of Toronto before Blashill was gone in Detroit, I would’ve laughed at you.  Then again, I think this is a little bit of Babcock taking the fall for Dubas.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
Not really... this is about Shanny putting his chips in with Dubas.  Once he was hired (and Lou fired), Babs was never gonna make it to the end of his contract.  The way that Dubas has built the team isn't in sync with how he feels Babs coaches.  Babs isn't taking the fall for Dubas... Dubas is now taking the full spotlight - it's his roster, it's his head coach, and it's his Assistant Coaches.  Nobody to blame now but Dubas (and the players).

One thing that came up in all of the media analysis yesterday (it was insane!) is that the team is 30-28-10 (or something along those lines) for calendar 2019.  So the problems go back all the way to the beginning of the year.  Their 9-10-4 start this year just was a continuation of the slide they were on in 2H last season.

Starting the season, the bar for success was set at a 2-3 round playoff run.  They've regressed so much that the new bar is just MAKING the playoffs.  And once Shanny/Dubas reached that conclusion, the right thing to do was to let Babs go - he couldn't get out of his own way.  So many head-scratching decisions... like why in b2b games, when game 2 is against a divisional opponent, 3 times he put Andersen in net for Game 1, Hutchinson in net for game 2!  Points against Boston/Mtl are far more important than points against Columbus!

The stats are staggering:
26th in GA/game
13th in GF/game
25th in points % (which normalizes points against the number of games played)
mid-20s in both PK and PP
18/23 games they have given up the first goal; they've only held a lead start to finish TWICE
2 regular time wins in the last 16
Only 6 regular time wins - against Sens, CBJ, Wings, Wild, Sharks, Kings.  All teams below them in the standings

After last night, Ottawa has more wins as the Leafs do, with 1 less game played.  Let that sink in.

Pretty sure this was exactly the start I predicted - actually, it's worse.  I figured they'd be a little over .500, not well below it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2019, 08:51:54 AM »
Those offensive stats are eye popping. That does not compute.

Chad, do you think JT and Matthews back channeled their coach?

They definitely seemed to have quit in him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
No... JT definitely not, and Matthews is the one bright spot this season (statistically at least), so I don't think either of them submarined Babcock.  I don't think anyone ever would tbh.  Having seen the player interviews yesterday though, it's clear that Matthews is looking forward to not playing for Babcock anymore; Tavares was wearing it heavy, and clearly disappointed that the team's performance led to this.

I will say this, they played a very noticeably different style last night, and it paid off - 17 seconds from a shutout victory against a team that had themselves just come off of back-to-back shutout victories.  So, they stopped the bleeding ... for the moment at least.  We'll see what the game in Denver brings tomorrow night.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I know Henrik Zetterberg tired of Babcock towards the end of his tenure in Detroit.  I don't think the "Swedish Mafia" guys in Detroit liked Babcock a whole lot.  Dylan Larkin didn't turn pro until after Babcock moved to Toronto.  Johan Franzen did this for Gustav Nyquist after Babcock left:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6PWUb9w-Wb/?utm_source=ig_embed

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
I think, by-and-large, more players have disliked playing for Babcock than have enjoyed it over the years.  Still, he produces.  700 career wins, 2 Olympic Golds, 1 Cup.  Hard to argue with that.  Babs was the right coach at the right time when he was brought in to Toronto, and did a great job turning the franchise around.  There is no arguing that*.  But now?  Not so much.  The young (and overpaid) crew weren't responding to his schemes.  And considering the roster on the ice last night had 9 players that have played for (new coache) Keefe, this will likely be a good thing for the team.  It was a necessary move/decision.

* - Back in '14, it was between Buffalo and Toronto for where Babs was going.  Look what each team has done since then - Leafs; 2 100-point seasons, 3 straight playoff appearances (taking Washington to 6 games, 5 of which were OT) Boston to 7 games twice before choking both series' away.  Buffalo; zero playoff appearances; 3 different head coaches; Top 10 draft pick every year since - including #1 in 2018.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
The leafs have choked against Boston a lot earlier then Babcock's tenure. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
The leafs have choked against Boston a lot earlier then Babcock's tenure. :neverusethis:

The only thing that makes me rage more than blowing a 4-1 Game 7 lead with 11 minutes to go is Kerry Fraser not giving Wayne Gretzky 5-and-a-game for drawing blood against Doug Gilmour in Game 6.  Then Gretz getting the OT winner, and a hat-trick in Game 7.   >:(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2019, 07:23:26 AM »
Holy crap!  I forgot about that!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
Wow, I had forgotten about that as well.  I will admit I had some good hatred going for the Leafs around that time since they beat the Blues 6-0 in Game 7 to win that 2nd round series.  :censored :censored

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
Leaf Nation will NEVER forget that.  The likelihood of a Leafs/Habs final in '93 was very high.  Canada would have lost its shit.  Who knows if there will ever be an all-Canada cup final again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »
Given how angry and bitter I would have been had the Blues lost that conference finals to the Sharks this past spring after that Game 3 OT BS (as angry as I sounded here, it would have been 10x worse had the Blues gone on to the lose the series), I hear ya.  It sucks when your team gets totally screwed on a missed or bad officiating call in a pivotal playoff game.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
What a comeback by the Rangers!!!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
What a comeback by the Rangers!!!

That was something else for sure.  3rd comeback from 4-0 in the last two weeks - the Panthers having the other two.  Crazy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2019, 05:31:23 AM »
Can't believe the B's came back as well down 4-2 with 5 minutes left.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2019, 06:47:21 AM »
Can't believe the B's came back as well down 4-2 with 5 minutes left.

It's like there's no such thing as a shut-down defence anymore.

Leafs limped their way to victory last night.  They completely dominated the 1st, then got their asses served up to them in the 2nd and 3rd.  Once again, Andersen saved their bacon.

Few days off, and then it's Detroit and Buffalo back-to-back.  They might just end this tough stretch at 5-4 after starting 0-4.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: November 24, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
Leafs won again last night?  Man, some franchises have all the luck...:P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Kev/Gary ... what the fuck was with Bortuzzo? That was brutal - looked like a clear intent to injure to me. Shocking that it was only 4 games, given his history. And Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks now. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »
Kev/Gary ... what the fuck was with Bortuzzo? That was brutal - looked like a clear intent to injure to me. Shocking that it was only 4 games, given his history. And Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks now.

Very dirty hit.  He's lucky he only got 4 games, and if he had gotten more, I would have been fine with it.  No place in the league for that kind of crap. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:03 PM »
Not defending Bortuzzo, but the NHL has long allowed vicious cross checks to the back for far too long. Chris Pronger made a living out of two handing a guy's back. For all of the player safety yadayada, d men crosschecking forwards in front of the net is the one that needs to be legislated out of the game.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: November 24, 2019, 09:18:46 PM »
The frst hit was bad enough. The second one was just ugly. One of the worst things I've seen in a while.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #268 on: November 24, 2019, 11:48:13 PM »

Very dirty hit.  He's lucky he only got 4 games, and if he had gotten more, I would have been fine with it.  No place in the league for that kind of crap. :tdwn :tdwn

Pretty much that. It’s BS and given his history with that type of thing he should have gotten more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
Ok, so let me get this straight Department of Player Safety.  Bortuzzo's actions warrant a 4-game suspension - a very deliberate cross-check into the cross-bar / net, then a viscous and unprovoked additional cross check on a prone and 100% defenceless and unsuspecting opponent.  Plus, Bortuzzo has a history of this.

Kerfoot, gets 2 games for this hit!?!?  It was the comment in the explanation video that got my blood boiling - "... a forceful shove to the back of a player who is not positioned to adequately protect himself".  First, the Avs player PUT HIMSELF IN THAT POSITION A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE THE HIT.  If he stays upright, he would've gone chest first into the boards like 80% of any other similar hits.  Second, what about your comment just 15 seconds earlier DPS?  "while the hit was not delivered with exceptional force".  Third, Kerfoot has no history - no fines; no suspensions.  But this nets him 2 games?  1/2 of what Bortuzzo got; 2/3 of what spitting on a player gets ya.

I hope I don't sound like a homer here - I'm not... it's not like Kerfoot is a critical element to the Leafs lineup.  But (like the NFL, and I've said this before vis-a-vis the NHL DPS), I'm tired of players putting themselves in vulnerable positions, and then the player making the contact - with no time to change their attack - gets the penalty/suspension.  Was it a 2-minute penalty, absolutely.  Maybe even a major.  But suspendible?  Nuh uh.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #270 on: November 26, 2019, 05:55:03 AM »
I hope I don't sound like a homer here - I'm not... it's not like Kerfoot is a critical element to the Leafs lineup.  But (like the NFL, and I've said this before vis-a-vis the NHL DPS), I'm tired of players putting themselves in vulnerable positions, and then the player making the contact - with no time to change their attack - gets the penalty/suspension.  Was it a 2-minute penalty, absolutely.  Maybe even a major.  But suspendible?  Nuh uh.

Major penalty is absolutely fine in these cases, but I agree a suspension is questionable here. Johnson was in a natural position to have his back against Kerfoot and make a play, which Kerfoot should've anticipated. Cross-checking someone in the numbers at that distance off the boards is always a dumb move.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »
Bruins, 7 goals on 20 shots.  Holy shit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
Bruins, 7 goals on 20 shots.  Holy shit.

It'd be funny if the Bruins scored more points than the Patriots. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »
Well it's 8 to 1 now. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
16-3-5.
Crazy. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2019, 05:34:54 AM »
This was all the news yesterday. Lots of talk of it being s tipping point for hockey - not just NHL, but minor and kids hockey - how old school coaching that sometimes includes abuse, mind games, and abuse of power, is gonna take a hard and fast fall.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
This was all the news yesterday. Lots of talk of it being s tipping point for hockey - not just NHL, but minor and kids hockey - how old school coaching that sometimes includes abuse, mind games, and abuse of power, is gonna take a hard and fast fall.

In other words, say goodbye to d-bag coaches the likes of Mike Keenan.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »

In other words, say goodbye to d-bag coaches the likes of Mike Keenan.

Not exactly.  Keenan is well known (hell, Bowman too) to have been a tough coach, but most would say he's not a douche of a human.  I think we'll be saying goodbye to douchebag people / behaviour in the locker room.