Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64539 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Right you are Kev... the rest of the league had no chance with Tarasenko in the lineup.  Precisely the place you want to be in the standings to have the rest of the league by the balls - 16th overall ::)

Jeez, between the clown show comment and this, I am starting to think you've lost your sense of humor.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Right you are Kev... the rest of the league had no chance with Tarasenko in the lineup.  Precisely the place you want to be in the standings to have the rest of the league by the balls - 16th overall ::)

Jeez, between the clown show comment and this, I am starting to think you've lost your sense of humor.

First, my shot back was meant tongue-in-cheek... perhaps we both need to lighten up  :P

Second, I'm starting to think you need FUNNY material... or maybe just some material that doesn't tie back to your apparent Blues superiority complex.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The surprise of the season for me so far is the Sharks. They seem to be so far apart as a team, and I don't see a fix for that one right now. Ottawa dominated them on Sunday, most of the team and coach got ejected at the end of the Boston game yesterday. Karlsson is in a funk and that contract already isn't looking good, and their goaltending still wasn't addressed in the offseason.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they suck for the rest of the season, Ottawa owns their first round pick. I'm just shocked by their start
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The surprise of the season for me so far is the Sharks. They seem to be so far apart as a team, and I don't see a fix for that one right now. Ottawa dominated them on Sunday, most of the team and coach got ejected at the end of the Boston game yesterday. Karlsson is in a funk and that contract already isn't looking good, and their goaltending still wasn't addressed in the offseason.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they suck for the rest of the season, Ottawa owns their first round pick. I'm just shocked by their start

Right??  Them and Dallas are shockingly bad.  I know it's only 12-ish games in, but I remember hearing a very good saying once "you can't play your way *IN* to the playoffs in October, but you can play your way *OUT* of them"  The Blues were an anomaly last year.  Some teams better get their shit together soon.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

My thoughts after watching the Sharks last night..

That team's heart was Pavelski. There is no leadership on that team.
Karlsson was absolutely invisible. I wonder if his groin is still bad.
Thornton..I didn't notice him...or Marleau for that matter.
Logan Coutre (sp?) is the Captain?
Burns should be wearing the C, though he's lost a step.
Martin Jones blows, but his D hung him out to dry.
The Sharks tapped out about halfway through the second period.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The Dallas/Minnesota game last night was hilarious. It was 3-0 Minnesota towards the end of the 2nd period and the Minnesota commentary team was talking about how awful Dallas was and how they had no clue how to figure Minnesota out. Then they talked about how with all of the injuries in the Central, the Wild have a real shot at first in the central ( :lol). Then in the final minutes, Dallas scored. Came back for the third period, Minnesota completely fell apart and ended up losing the game 6-3. Six unanswered goals in 21 minutes. As the period progressed, the MN commentary shifted to this weird reverence for Dallas and their offensive prowess and commitment to growing defensively. It was a compete tonal 180.

But you're right, Jingle, Dallas and Sharks are two very shockingly bad teams and we are almost to that American Thanksgiving benchmark. The Pacific is a weird division too because there seem to be a lot of pretenders and false starts. Is Edmonton sustainable (offense like that isn't, but it's McDavid, so who knows)? They are kinda falling apart. Phoenix is a bubble team, Calgary is bipolar, Anaheim is off to a surprising start and Vegas is dominant and then lax the next night. LA is LA--goaltending sucks. Vancouver is growing and probably going to get better and better as the season goes, Markstrom is playing really well. The Sharks have come out slow and bad before and rebounded into what we saw last playoffs, but this is really bad. But maybe they rebound and still have a shot.

Dallas could still rebound, they have the pieces. Bishop will eventually find his game. The Central is weird too. I think the Avs will be fine without that offense for a bit because their defense and goaltending are phenomenal and will change up their style to help supplement the decline in offense. St Louis will probably find a way, Winnipeg, who knows..., Minnesota is up the river of Denial and keep using St Louis as an example of anything can happen (seriously GM and owner have all said that the once every 20 years story of last year's is doable for their team). Blackhawks are disappointing to me, I thought they would be up there or at least Wild Card and Nashville is doing what I expected them to do.

Add New Jersey to that list of shocks. Their little display of commitment to winning that they did this summer with the trades and Jack Hughes to show Taylor Hall they are the real deal isn't going so well. I feel bad for Jack Hughes, he was expected to be McDavid and I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself. He'll be fantastic as time goes on. Again... Devils need goaltending!

And I agree TAC with all of your bullet points. Losing Pavelski is hurting more than the team thought it would, or at least that's what I think. Couture is trying to be that heart, but it isn't working. Calling out players in the media doesn't usually go so well. They are old with Thorton and Marleau on the team, although I think losing Thornton would only sink morale further. I agree Karlsson still appears to be injured (he's never been the same since that ankle injury against Boston in the playoffs two years ago. It's not a popular opinion in Ottawa or at least not on Sens Twitter, but I'm okay with them moving on from Karlsson. I don't think he's worth what he thinks he's worth. Sharks thought otherwise). Burns probably should be Captain, he strikes me as a powerful voice and one of those leaders that when he talks, you listen.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
https://www.tsn.ca/chicago-blackhawks-d-brent-seabrook-feels-he-can-still-be-a-good-player-for-somebody-1.1389633

Interesting.

I feel no pity for him as the dirty a$$ player he is or for Chicago being stuck with that ridiculous contract until 2024.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

https://www.tsn.ca/chicago-blackhawks-d-brent-seabrook-feels-he-can-still-be-a-good-player-for-somebody-1.1389633

Interesting.

I feel no pity for him as the dirty a$$ player he is or for Chicago being stuck with that ridiculous contract until 2024.

I agree 100%. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Flyers 4-1 over the Hurricanes tonight, great game, and sat 2nd row at the end where every goal was scored. Carter Hart had a much needed great game again, with his only goal against being 100% not his fault.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
6 wins in a row now for the Blues without Taransenko.   :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

They’re playing gritty and still seem to have that ‘team’ mentality going. Next man up. Plus.....after a shaky start to the season as far as allowing some soft goals.....Binnington has been pretty locked in.

Offline romdrums

@gmillerdrake, any intel on Robby Fabbri?  Looks like the Wings just acquired him last night for Jacob de la Rose.  Wondering what your thoughts are.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe the thread should've been titled "Tarasenko injury gives Blues a chance"   :rollin

:P  :-*

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
@gmillerdrake, any intel on Robby Fabbri?  Looks like the Wings just acquired him last night for Jacob de la Rose.  Wondering what your thoughts are.

He’s very skilled. His issue is he’s just not getting the playing time. He’s one game in four in the press box. There are a couple other guys ahead of him that are more ‘gritty’ than he is and that are performing well and he can’t seem to crack the lineup.

IF he can return to his rookie season form he’s an offensive threat....good forechecker and quick. But he had back to back knee surgeries on the heels of a great rookie season and hasn’t seemed to be able to get consistency.

He asked for a trade because he wants to play. I think the change of scenery and more minutes will do him good. Yzerman isn’t an idiot and I bet he knows that with more playing time that Fabbri can be a top 6 player.

Offline romdrums

Wings need offense as they have WAY too many 4th line grinder types. Hope the trade is a win/win for all involved.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Wings need offense as they have WAY too many 4th line grinder types. Hope the trade is a win/win for all involved.

I think it will be. De La Rose has the size and style of play Berube wants. He will have a role in the 3rd or 4th line....be a grinder and responsible defensively.

Fabbri can score. No doubt about it. There just isn’t a spot for him on the Blues to get consistent playing time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Maybe the thread should've been titled "Tarasenko injury gives Blues a chance"   :rollin

Hmmm, now there's an idea... :lol :lol :tup :tup

Not me. While I like Fabbri and would like to see him do well, him becoming a Red Wing means I cannot root for him under circumstance, unless of course they are playing the Blackhawks, in which case I would silently root for an earthquake to take out both teams.  Kidding...mostly. :biggrin:

Offline romdrums

Hmmm, now there's an idea... :lol :lol :tup :tup

Not me. While I like Fabbri and would like to see him do well, him becoming a Red Wing means I cannot root for him under circumstance, unless of course they are playing the Blackhawks, in which case I would silently root for an earthquake to take out both teams.  Kidding...mostly. :biggrin:

Man, I miss the Wings being in the Norris/Central Division.  Those rivalries were fun.  This was one of my favorite games against the Blues:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200303290STL.html

I think it ended with 9 guys on the bench for Detroit and 6 for St. Louis.  15 misconduct or game misconduct penalties handed out in the third period!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, I miss the Wings being in the Norris/Central Division.  Those rivalries were fun. 

For you  :lol    So close yet so far away SO many times thanks to that freaking Russian injected F'n team of yours  :lol   

But seriously.....those were battles!!! Even with what the Blues have going rivalry wise with the Preds, Stars and Jets now it's nowhere near as gritty or entertaining or intense as what the old Blues/Wings or even Blues/Hawks used to be.

Offline pg1067

I was flipping channels the other day and found a documentary called "The Russian Five" (or something like that).  The part I saw talked about the Kris Draper game in 96 and then the payback game the following season.  I DVR'd it because I was leaving the house and am looking forward to watching it (googling, it looks like it's not exactly new, but nevertheless...).  Those were good times, even though, back then, I HATED those Wings teams.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

I was flipping channels the other day and found a documentary called "The Russian Five" (or something like that).  The part I saw talked about the Kris Draper game in 96 and then the payback game the following season.  I DVR'd it because I was leaving the house and am looking forward to watching it (googling, it looks like it's not exactly new, but nevertheless...).  Those were good times, even though, back then, I HATED those Wings teams.

I'm of course biased, but that really is a great documentary.  The stories behind how the Wings got Fedorov and Vladimir Konstantinov out of Russia and into the US are particularly interesting.  Definitely some late Cold War type of spy games and such.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Man, I miss the Wings being in the Norris/Central Division.  Those rivalries were fun. 

For you  :lol    So close yet so far away SO many times thanks to that freaking Russian injected F'n team of yours  :lol   

But seriously.....those were battles!!! Even with what the Blues have going rivalry wise with the Preds, Stars and Jets now it's nowhere near as gritty or entertaining or intense as what the old Blues/Wings or even Blues/Hawks used to be.

To me Blues/Hawks is only rivaled by Sharks/Kings as the best rivalry in the West.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Speaking of the Wings, Bruins in Detroit tonight.

In the late 90's for 4 or 5 years in a row, we went to see the Wings when they came to Boston. Great games.

Offline pg1067

I'm of course biased, but that really is a great documentary.  The stories behind how the Wings got Fedorov and Vladimir Konstantinov out of Russia and into the US are particularly interesting.  Definitely some late Cold War type of spy games and such.

I think I caught it and started the DVR after that part, so I'll have to try and find it elsewhere because that would be rather fascinating to see/hear.

To me Blues/Hawks is only rivaled by Sharks/Kings as the best rivalry in the West.

I'd put the Kings/Ducks rivalry ahead of Kings/Sharks (although they're close).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Well, the Blues did come back from 3-1 to beat the Red Wings in the first round in '91, but getting knocked out of the playoffs by them three seasons in a row ('96-'98) stuck in my craw and made me hate them for life.  This past June certainly washed up most of the agony of past defeats, but those Blues teams in the latter half of the 90's were really good, yet always just a notch below Detroit, Colorado and Dallas.

Offline romdrums

Well Fabbri got 2 power play goals on feeds from his juniors teammate Tyler Bertuzzi and the Wings win 4-2.  I’ll take it!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Well Fabbri got 2 power play goals on feeds from his juniors teammate Tyler Bertuzzi and the Wings win 4-2.  I’ll take it!

I told you he can score. Consistency is his enemy. Having a former teammate is a plus for his translation.

I’m happy for the guy. He’s been through a lot and has put a lot of work in to get back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
On a human level, I am happy to see Fabbri do well so quickly and hope he keeps it up.

On a Blues fan level, f the Red Wings. :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
On a human level, I am happy to see Fabbri do well so quickly and hope he keeps it up.

On a Leafs fan level, F the Bruins.  Good on Fabri!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I honestly hope the latest rambling nonsense to spew from Don Cherry's mouth last night is the final nail in the coffin of his career. He should have been fired from HNIC years ago.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I honestly hope the latest rambling nonsense to spew from Don Cherry's mouth last night is the final nail in the coffin of his career. He should have been fired from HNIC years ago.

It was awful.... "diabetes medicine".  What in the actual fuq?  And it's sad that kids die... but it'd be nice to have a little context other than 'here's a pic of these two kids who were hockey players, and they died'.  He's been losing his marbles for sometime, and has just become the hockey version of Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man.  :getoffmylawn: 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

On a Leafs fan level, F the Bruins.  Good on Fabri!

Despite the finals last season, I don't really hate the Bruins, although I'd be singing a different tune if the Blues had lost the series. I pretty much developed a strong hate for every team that knocked the Blues out of the playoffs at the time, which means I've hated most of the teams from the Western Conference at one point or another. :lol :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Fabbri giving bottom-feeding Red Wings hope
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
I hate you all.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Fabbri giving bottom-feeding Red Wings hope
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
Ughhhh.  My landlord told me that they got to replace an old internet modem which means we have no internet for 1-2 days and I find myself contemplating wanting to go Oilers vs Ducks today at the Honda Center.  Tickets are going for $40.00 for the worst nosebleed seats.  On the one hand, I really don't want to pay for a Ducks game unless I know for certain that they will be obliterated and the Oilers, so far, could be the team that can do that.  On the other hand, I don't really have anything else to do for the evening (no playing video games, no watching Twitch streams without taking up too much data from my personal hotspot).  I wonder what is it like to see a hockey game of two teams you don't have a huge horse in?