Author Topic: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Hedman is a cupman.  (Read 64910 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official '19-'20 NHL Thread - v. Postseason coming finally?!
« Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
There's no way the Bruins were going to be gifted a spot in the Conference Finals this year.

Rooting for Montreal and the Islanders.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2020, 08:17:27 PM »
If that is the outcome the B's would play the Isles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »
Hell yes!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1018 on: August 20, 2020, 08:01:45 AM »
There's no way the Bruins were going to be gifted a spot in the Conference Finals this year.

Rooting for Montreal and the Islanders.

Montreal advancing would fuck up my entire bracket.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1019 on: August 20, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
Hell yes!!

So you want Cassidy to be spanked by Trotz?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1020 on: August 20, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
So we all know that playoff hockey is something completely different than the regular season. We also know that Olympic hockey is in a different universe.

Question - is it time to expand the NHL rink dimensions to match the Olympic dimensions which if I am correct (and I may not be correct) the rink size for the Olympics is based on what other countries use in their leagues.

In a word, no, because why should we?

If other countries jumped off a cliff should we also do so?

Easy - because it would make the US and US hockey more competitive. Don't ask why shouldn't we - ask why we should. If they could figure out the revenue thing then it wouldn't be hard to expand the arenas. It's only 15 feet.

More competitive with whom or what?  The NHL is far and away the #1 professional hockey league in the world, and more than 2/3 of NHL players are from the U.S. or Canada.

Also, "the US and US hockey" are already pretty damn competitive in international hockey.  I believe the U.S. is the #6 ranked team by the IIHF.  Moreover, Canada, whose players play on NHL-sized rinks all the way up the chain, is the #1 ranked team.  So, how exactly is it that converting NHL rinks to Olympic or international dimensions would "make the US and US hockey more competitive"?

Widespread support at the grassroots level is how the US gets better. That's how it works in all the powerhouse hockey nations. I believe the US has been getting better at the national level, and you can see it in the increased numbers meeting drafted out of the US National Development Program.

Exactly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: August 20, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »
Will Kirk Muller be coaching the Caps next season?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1022 on: August 20, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »
I like Matt Niskanen a lot, but he totally deserved that suspension.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1023 on: August 20, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »
Holy cow.  This Stars/Flames game is a massacre.   Six unanswered goals from the Stars after Flames started out 3-0 and the 2nd period is not even done.  Nothing is working out for the Flames.  Even a goalie switch after the 3rd goal ain't helping them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
Holy cow.  This Stars/Flames game is a massacre.   Six unanswered goals from the Stars after Flames started out 3-0 and the 2nd period is not even done.  Nothing is working out for the Flames.  Even a goalie switch after the 3rd goal ain't helping them.

Yeah, Riddich looks awful.  I was convinced they were going to get a 7th goal on that 2-on-1 with 15 seconds left in the period.

The 1st was the best period the Flames have played all playoffs, the 2nd was without question the worst.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1025 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:41 PM »
So......debating a rage post or just turning the page and checking out of the playoffs like the Blues did.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1026 on: August 21, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »
^^ I say for your health, the second option.  Just give the good old "Oh well," and tune out now.  Then when we get into the post-cup discussions, you can rage all you want.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: August 22, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »
So......debating a rage post or just turning the page and checking out of the playoffs like the Blues did.

I’d say the caps laid a bigger stinker. Frankly, so did Philly last night. They just had some immense puck luck to get that victory.

Still, there’s some good hockey to be watched. I’m looking forward to Tampa / Boston, and Colorado / Dallas. Isles should be able to handle the Flyers if the latter doesn’t get their head out their asses. And I think Vancouver is really punching out of their weight class against Vegas.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: August 22, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »
Yeah....there’s no need for me to get bent out of shape. Blues had plenty of chances to win that series and they didn’t make the plays. I could list 15 excuses right now but fact is the matter is they’re out of that tournament so that’s that.

Not sure how engaged I’ll be in the remaining rounds though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: August 22, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
I just watched the highlight package. Markstrom looked strong; Bennington did not. Those fist two goals were soft. Hard to fault him in the 3rd, and the 4th looked like it ricocheted off of Pietrangelo. Risky move by Berube to put him in, and it didn’t pay off. For as good as Bennington was last year, he was pretty awful this year.

No game 7s in round 1.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: August 22, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
Binnington was awful. Period. He should have been pulled after the second goal last night. Near every goal he let in was ‘soft’. And by that I mean they were goals that your goalie has to make if you expect to win a series or the cup. He made those last year

Markstrom won the series for them. Played great. But I really don’t think it matters all that much because both teams were playing for the honor to be knocked out by Vegas.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1031 on: August 22, 2020, 11:03:18 AM »
Where has KevShmev been??

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: August 22, 2020, 11:29:20 AM »
Binnington was awful. Period. He should have been pulled after the second goal last night. Near every goal he let in was ‘soft’. And by that I mean they were goals that your goalie has to make if you expect to win a series or the cup. He made those last year

Markstrom won the series for them. Played great. But I really don’t think it matters all that much because both teams were playing for the honor to be knocked out by Vegas.

Nah... like I said, that 3rd one the Canuck's pinballed that between every player before Hughes made a perfect shot off the post.  No way to fault Binners there.  And I'm positive the 4th redirected off the shaft of Alex's stick.

I know King said he was texting with him sometime recently.  Think he got pissed thru P/R threads, and like many before him, pulled the ripcord on DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: August 22, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »

I know King said he was texting with him sometime recently.  Think he got pissed thru P/R threads, and like many before him, pulled the ripcord on DTF.

Yep. He gone. I've texted with him quite a bit but I believe there was some things in P/R that drove him to bolt.

Nah... like I said, that 3rd one the Canuck's pinballed that between every player before Hughes made a perfect shot off the post.  No way to fault Binners there.  And I'm positive the 4th redirected off the shaft of Alex's stick.

While there may have been bounce or redirection here or there......again, those are saves that need to be made and that were made in the Cup run. They were shots Markstrom was making and a host of other goalies were making to give their teams a chance to win. Outside of the first warm up against Chicago.....he did not look sharp AT ALL and he earned every bit of his .80% save percentage.

Listen...I'm grateful for the Cup victory last year and will forever remember that run and the atmosphere. But the fact of the matter is some teams/players came to the bubble to play hockey and some just fulfilled their obligation to the team/organization and now are heading home. I think StL had a lot of guys who really didn't feel like being here and it was echoed in their comments leading up to and during and after they were ousted.

One of the first comments Peitrangelo made was "now we can all go back to our wives and kids"   :sad:  Like I said, this is unprecedented and I can't imagine how hard that must have been.....but you don't win a series much less a Cup if your whole team hasn't 100% bought in on the mindset to do all you can to win games. It just wasn't there for the Blues and it showed. That's where my disappointment comes in. Losing happens....but to lose on a pretty poor effort from most involved is infuriating. Not to take anything away from the Canucks but....I mean.....well, anyway. One could see the intensity wasn't there and it was obvious which team wanted to be there and win and which one would rather be rocking kids to sleep.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »

Yep. He gone. I've texted with him quite a bit but I believe there was some things in P/R that drove him to bolt.

Well, I guess I had a handle in that - looking at his last posts and the exchanges behind them. Oh well. I wasn’t that harsh with him, but I guess he felt otherwise.

:dunno:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1035 on: August 22, 2020, 03:13:02 PM »

Wow, that's really too bad.

What's even weirder is that it seems WildRanger has also disappeared.

Coincidence??

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: August 22, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »

Well, I guess I had a handle in that - looking at his last posts and the exchanges behind them. Oh well. I wasn’t that harsh with him, but I guess he felt otherwise.

:dunno:

He hasn’t mention to me specifics about it.....just that he was leaving. I don’t even know what conversation was happening. It’s a bummer for sure when members that have been here for a long time leave.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1037 on: August 22, 2020, 06:26:36 PM »
Wow. I just realized that I dislike every team left in the East. And I also don’t like one in the West. I guess I’m rooting for Vegas this year.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: August 22, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
Wow. I just realized that I dislike every team left in the East. And I also don’t like one in the West. I guess I’m rooting for Vegas this year.

With no Toronto I’m rooting for the Lightning because of Pat Maroon. Colorado is fun to watch but I still can’t get over how much they benefited from the pause and format....actually Covid was the best thing to happen for them and Dallas....so they’re the two teams I’d be ‘angry’ to see win the cup.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: August 22, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »
Gary, you are my enemy then.  Lol

Again!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1040 on: August 22, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
While there may have been bounce or redirection here or there......again, those are saves that need to be made and that were made in the Cup run. They were shots Markstrom was making and a host of other goalies were making to give their teams a chance to win. Outside of the first warm up against Chicago.....he did not look sharp AT ALL and he earned every bit of his .80% save percentage.

Listen...I'm grateful for the Cup victory last year and will forever remember that run and the atmosphere. But the fact of the matter is some teams/players came to the bubble to play hockey and some just fulfilled their obligation to the team/organization and now are heading home. I think StL had a lot of guys who really didn't feel like being here and it was echoed in their comments leading up to and during and after they were ousted.

One of the first comments Peitrangelo made was "now we can all go back to our wives and kids"   :sad:  Like I said, this is unprecedented and I can't imagine how hard that must have been.....but you don't win a series much less a Cup if your whole team hasn't 100% bought in on the mindset to do all you can to win games. It just wasn't there for the Blues and it showed. That's where my disappointment comes in. Losing happens....but to lose on a pretty poor effort from most involved is infuriating. Not to take anything away from the Canucks but....I mean.....well, anyway. One could see the intensity wasn't there and it was obvious which team wanted to be there and win and which one would rather be rocking kids to sleep.

With no Toronto I’m rooting for the Lightning because of Pat Maroon. Colorado is fun to watch but I still can’t get over how much they benefited from the pause and format....actually Covid was the best thing to happen for them and Dallas....so they’re the two teams I’d be ‘angry’ to see win the cup.

So every year, I root for the Blues. I couldn't last year, obviously, but I'm happy they won their Cup. But I'm also glad they're out. It's been tough to watch them this year. Again, for obvious reasons.

I also firmly believe that Colorado was coming out of the West, Covid or no Covid.

That said, these games, while entertaining, are definitely lacking some intensity across the board.

There are so many parallels between the Blues '19 Cup and the Bruins '11 Cup. The Bruins got bounced in the first round the following year.
Every team has families at home, so I don't think what Petro said was any different to what anyone feels. But perhaps after a long Cup run, and the quarantine, they simply lacked the drive. The across the board lack of intensity will definitely affect a team like the Blues. I mean, their game is built on intensity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: August 22, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
Tim, 💯 correct.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: August 22, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »

So every year, I root for the Blues. I couldn't last year, obviously, but I'm happy they won their Cup. But I'm also glad they're out. It's been tough to watch them this year. Again, for obvious reasons.

I also firmly believe that Colorado was coming out of the West, Covid or no Covid.

That said, these games, while entertaining, are definitely lacking some intensity across the board.

There are so many parallels between the Blues '19 Cup and the Bruins '11 Cup. The Bruins got bounced in the first round the following year.
Every team has families at home, so I don't think what Petro said was any different to what anyone feels. But perhaps after a long Cup run, and the quarantine, they simply lacked the drive. The across the board lack of intensity will definitely affect a team like the Blues. I mean, their game is built on intensity.

Yeah....I know all those players are in the same boat as far as family and being sequestered. But I think you’re right that they weren’t up to the task of hearing back up yet again for this tournament.

They had no cup hangover and were one of three or four teams that were firing on all cylinders heading into the playoffs. They were set for a deep run. I’ll disagree with you about Colorado because McKinnon was hurt and out for at least two rounds and so was their starting goalie. The pause saved them.

All in all there just wasn’t enough mental gas left in the tank for them. Oh well. There will be some great hockey player but we all can see and feel the difference....there’s no escaping it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: August 22, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
I’ll disagree with you about Colorado because McKinnon was hurt and out for at least two rounds and so was their starting goalie. The pause saved them.

Yeah, perhaps, but they just seemed like the team to beat to me. I also expected way more out of Calgary.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1044 on: August 22, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
Oh, damn, I didn't realize there was a game on tonight..
Avs lol

If not for the Bruins, I'd root for Rick Bowness to win the Cup.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: August 22, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
BTW Kev says he's also rooting for Tampa Bay. He's dead to me too. :lol

I should gave said, "Finally,  a Brady fan."   :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: August 22, 2020, 10:39:28 PM »

Again!

It’s only the Pat Maroon connection. Oh and, the fact you have that douche bag Marchand on your team.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: August 23, 2020, 06:13:39 AM »

Again!

It’s only the Pat Maroon connection. Oh and, the fact you have that douche bag Marchand everyone not named Bergeron on your team.  :lol

Fix’d   :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: August 23, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
 :lol

Going to be one hell of a series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: August 23, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »

Again!

It’s only the Pat Maroon connection. Oh and, the fact you have that douche bag Marchand everyone not named Bergeron on your team.  :lol

Fix’d   :biggrin:

Well yeah of course but I was trying to be nice.  :lol