Author Topic: Part Time Job  (Read 2676 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Part Time Job
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 08:44:22 PM »
Yeah....so this is a scam. I was told I had a package delivered with a packet of instructions for my first 'assignment'. All that was in the package was a check made out to me for $2,850.00. I emailed and texted the guy 'Steve' who I'd been communicating with and he said just deposit the check and after that I'd get my instructions.

Ummm...no thanks. I sent an email telling him I was leery anyway and this really didn't seem legit and that I was destroying the check. Heard nothing since. I did send a text to the number he'd been texting me from and asked how many people fell for this scam, and told him I was pretty close to being another one.

So, MinistroRaven.....your contact on LinkedIn is either trying to scam someone or has been scammed. I'm doubting that you are trying to scam someone here.

Weird thing is the check that was sent to me is from a local moving business. I'm half tempted to take this check to them and either A) confront them for being a part of this or B) let them know they're being used in this scam.

The guy I got it from is a 3rd connection on my network. As I said on the OP I can’t do it because I am not in the US, nor I have the knowledge it is a Scam if I would have known it I wouldn’t have share it here. After many here commented that they have done part time job with other companies I thought it was legit. Now I am glad you were smart enough to get out of this unharmed.

Just want to clear it up that I do not think you had any idea this was bogus....not do I ‘blame’ you. I stayed cautious through the process and once it was revealed to be a con I bailed. I knew the risks. It would have been a cool venture but it wasn’t legit. Oh well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 10:54:58 PM »
I clicked on the link and my virus software went crazy.

Too bad that happened to you G, hopefully nothing else comes of it and nothing happens to your information.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2019, 04:47:36 AM »
Money laundering?  Pyramid scheme? Bank phishing?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 07:36:14 AM »
Money laundering?  Pyramid scheme? Bank phishing?

Yeah. Not sure. It just seemed odd he wouldn’t tell me anything until AFTER I deposited the check. Don’t know if that would have somehow gave them a way ‘in’ to my account or what the angle was.

But, any legit company or venture would have at minimum responded to my accusations I leveled against him via email and text. It’s been crickets so I’m pretty sure it was a shady deal.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 07:50:05 AM »
Update:

The company that the check was made out to me from was ‘Dodge Moving and Storage’  I looked them up and they’re a National, legit company so I decided to take the check to their offices they were about 45 minutes from my house.

I went there yesterday and this manager was confounded as to how I had this check....from them....made out to me for $2850.00. I explained the story to her and gave her all the info I had on the guy who’d been texting/emailing me.

This morning as I was driving to work I received a call from the owner of the company thanking me for bringing the check to them, and he explained that they’ve had (38) of these checks issued from them to people over the past 8 months, that one of their accounts had been compromised. He said they have avenues in place to where this check wouldn’t have cashed, but that all the other checks were issued throughout the country and that this was the first local one. And, no one else had tried to return the checks to them.

I forwarded him the link to the Secret Shopping registration and he said that could/should help as they have a fraud department that’s been investigating these checks for a while now.

I’m wondering if it was a former employee or something just trying to get back at them or something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 08:01:24 AM »
I looked them up and they’re a National, legit company so I decided to take the check to their offices they were about 45 minutes from my house.

Gary, I'm pretty impressed by that.  Kudos to you for not taking the easy way out.   I'm sure you'll see no tangible benefit (other than the satisfaction of doing the right thing) but this is the sort of thing that has consequences.  We pay (indirectly) for that company's fraud department, we pay (indirectly) for the bleed and waste that happens other companies every day.   It's probably a drop of piss in the ocean, but it's still the right thing to do.  :tup :hefdaddy

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »
I looked them up and they’re a National, legit company so I decided to take the check to their offices they were about 45 minutes from my house.

Gary, I'm pretty impressed by that.  Kudos to you for not taking the easy way out.   I'm sure you'll see no tangible benefit (other than the satisfaction of doing the right thing) but this is the sort of thing that has consequences.  We pay (indirectly) for that company's fraud department, we pay (indirectly) for the bleed and waste that happens other companies every day.   It's probably a drop of piss in the ocean, but it's still the right thing to do.  :tup :hefdaddy

Thanks Bill. The curiosity of the whole situation coupled with knowing I could ‘do the right thing’ helped make the decision to go out there to them pretty easy

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 10:03:11 AM »
Update:

The company that the check was made out to me from was ‘Dodge Moving and Storage’  I looked them up and they’re a National, legit company so I decided to take the check to their offices they were about 45 minutes from my house.

I went there yesterday and this manager was confounded as to how I had this check....from them....made out to me for $2850.00. I explained the story to her and gave her all the info I had on the guy who’d been texting/emailing me.

This morning as I was driving to work I received a call from the owner of the company thanking me for bringing the check to them, and he explained that they’ve had (38) of these checks issued from them to people over the past 8 months, that one of their accounts had been compromised. He said they have avenues in place to where this check wouldn’t have cashed, but that all the other checks were issued throughout the country and that this was the first local one. And, no one else had tried to return the checks to them.

I forwarded him the link to the Secret Shopping registration and he said that could/should help as they have a fraud department that’s been investigating these checks for a while now.

I’m wondering if it was a former employee or something just trying to get back at them or something?

I read this just now and wow, I am commenting it with a fco-worker and he said: look what I got on my LI account just yesterday>

If you go through the link she sent. guess what it is? another part time job offer: http://mjsconnect365.com/

My co wprker said that he inmediately replied to her with a no thank you and she then said she was hacked! I guess the same situation happened with the guy that sent me the offer on the OP.

This sucks man, I am really glad you got out ouf it unharmed. Thank you for going the extra mile.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
Thus far I can't see any indications I was 'hacked'.....who knows....but, I do use my work issued laptop for all my online doings and it's pretty well protected against  all the virus/malware/etc etc attempts. I suppose my identity could be stolen or compromised so I may get a credit report ran.

I asked the owner of the company to let me know if/when they ever get to the bottom of it. I doubt they'll ever get any real answers though.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »
Thus far I can't see any indications I was 'hacked'.....who knows....but, I do use my work issued laptop for all my online doings and it's pretty well protected against  all the virus/malware/etc etc attempts. I suppose my identity could be stolen or compromised so I may get a credit report ran.

I asked the owner of the company to let me know if/when they ever get to the bottom of it. I doubt they'll ever get any real answers though.

What I mean with the I was hacked comment is that "probably" these scammers hacked some LI accounts and sent the "PTJ" offers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:29:17 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »

What I mean with the I wa shacked comment is that "probably" this scammers hacked some LI accounts and sent the "PTJ" offers.

Ahhh....gotcha  :tup