Author Topic: Part Time Job  (Read 2671 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Part Time Job
« on: July 26, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
I got this through one of my contacts on LinkedIn.
I can't do it because I am not in the US.
But thought that maybe some of you might be interested:

https://ia601400.us.archive.org/4/items/applicaion_florm._20190719_2022/applicaion_florm..htm

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:30:33 AM by MinistroRaven »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Part Time Job
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Interesting. May take a chance on that...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »
I looked into all of this a couple of months ago for my brother. Secret shopper programs seem pretty interesting, but they're not really employment. The way that it works is that you sign up for every agency you can find, and there are about 30 of them, and then wait to see what their available deals are. The catch is that more often than not you'll be paid in product for the company you're evaluating. In other words you take a friend and evaluate a pizza buffet in exchange for a free trip for two to the pizza buffet. There are certainly cash offers, car dealerships are all into secret shopper programs and they don't pay in cars, but you're probably not going to get more than 10 gigs a month, and not very many of them will be of the $100 cash variety.

That said, I actually knocked around enrolling in all off them, myself. You don't have any obligation, and I'm hardly averse to evaluating a variety of fast-casual dining chains. Given that I'm a natural born fault-finder I'd be damn good at it. I honest-to-gods passed because I'm trying to lose wait, not gain it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
Your first task package will be delivered in your mailbox which will contain an Instruction Letter and Check Payment

Why do I think the informal title for this job is probably "Mule".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
I had a local part time job similar to this once... I had to go around the county asking for cigarettes/alcohol at gas stations, convenience stores, and restaurants. Made me feel really bad sitting down at a Buffalo Wild Wings asking for beer and then giving the cute waitress a red card because she didn't ask for my ID and then she starts crying.  :lol I did that twice, because it was extra money, but I can't do something like that again. Really awkward stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
I had a local part time job similar to this once... I had to go around the county asking for cigarettes/alcohol at gas stations, convenience stores, and restaurants. Made me feel really bad sitting down at a Buffalo Wild Wings asking for beer and then giving the cute waitress a red card because she didn't ask for my ID and then she starts crying.  :lol I did that twice, because it was extra money, but I can't do something like that again. Really awkward stuff.

"Say sweetheart, there is one way for me to overlook this .... :eyebrows:"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »
I was on my knees stocking a bottom shelf once and I got written up for not saying hi to a secret shopper who happened to walk behind me and I didn't see  :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
Man, I would have hated myself for that. My old man was a corporate axe-man, so I'm totally down with the need to come down on people for my own sake, but I'm not going to flag somebody for something I have no vested interest in. That's compounded by the fact that due to my youth I have a great fondness for people willing to help a kid out. Compounded even further by the fact that people who card everybody genuinely offend me. She's getting a discrete but firm warning from me. If she wants to demonstrate her gratitude via the Jingle approach, that's entirely on her.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »

"You like spicy Italian? :heybaby:"

Man, I would have hated myself for that. My old man was a corporate axe-man, so I'm totally down with the need to come down on people for my own sake, but I'm not going to flag somebody for something I have no vested interest in. That's compounded by the fact that due to my youth I have a great fondness for people willing to help a kid out. Compounded even further by the fact that people who card everybody genuinely offend me. She's getting a discrete but firm warning from me. If she wants to demonstrate her gratitude via the Jingle approach, that's entirely on her.

Yeah, exactly. If I didn't really need the cash, I would not have done it. Like you if it was for my own sake, gotta do it, but... yeah.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Even though I'm generally a "rule guy", I'm with Barto on this one.  There are ways of driving the right behavior without making her feel like a piece of shit, and otherwise calling her out for probably doing her job really well (i.e. being attentive to the patron, creating a pseudo-bond while the patron is in the restaurant, etc.)   

As someone who now doesn't look even spitting distance from 21 - my SHIRTS don't even look under 21 - I, too, get a little bugged by the "we card everyone" nonsense.  I get that the fines are significant, and if I stroll in to a bar within walking distance of a college campus with 20 people of varying ages, sure, but traveling for work, I often drink alone - that didn't come out right - and I doubt that Johnny PoPo is staging a vice raid because I got a Tito's and soda from a hotel bar in Rochester, NY without being carded. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »

AND

I was on my knees stocking a bottom shelf once...

Is that what the kids call it now? "Stocking the bottom shelf"?   I'm going to use that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Even though I'm generally a "rule guy", I'm with Barto on this one.  There are ways of driving the right behavior without making her feel like a piece of shit, and otherwise calling her out for probably doing her job really well (i.e. being attentive to the patron, creating a pseudo-bond while the patron is in the restaurant, etc.)   

As someone who now doesn't look even spitting distance from 21 - my SHIRTS don't even look under 21 - I, too, get a little bugged by the "we card everyone" nonsense.  I get that the fines are significant, and if I stroll in to a bar within walking distance of a college campus with 20 people of varying ages, sure, but traveling for work, I often drink alone - that didn't come out right - and I doubt that Johnny PoPo is staging a vice raid because I got a Tito's and soda from a hotel bar in Rochester, NY without being carded.
My problem is that it just demonstrates an unwillingness to think. Lots of stores have strict "card everybody" policies on paper, but they never actually happen. Anytime somebody has carded me and claimed that they card everyone, even senior citizens, they're always the odd duck in that store. They're just unwilling to exercise even a modicum of discretion, and I have no respect for people like that. I was told by somebody at a grocery store that they're required to swipe driver's licenses now (which kind of pissed me off). Haven't seen it happen again over the last six months. "What's your birthday?" One, one, twenty one. "You look great for your age. Have a nice day."
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »

AND

Is that what the kids call it now? "Stocking the bottom shelf"?   I'm going to use that.

:rollin :rollin

I'm fuckin dyin here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:35 AM »
While I was in college I was working at a gas station, and we used to get "Mistery shoppers" all the time. Mainly to check if we would sell cigarettes and alcohol to minors.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »

AND

I'm fuckin dyin here.

That's what really surprised me. Since that was the first time I was down on my knees and someone wasn't satisfied :eyebrows:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »

Confero?

My GF and I used to do Alcohol / Tobacco compliance shops locally with a few companies. Was a nice way to make a little bit of cash.

We still do now, but only Alcohol ID compliance shops for the movie theater we go to. We both pay like $25 a month each for their A list club thing and get 3 free movies a week (AMC), but then once a month we (she) does an alcohol shop at the theater and makes like $40 (gotta wait for them to bump the price up to make it worth your while), and it pretty much pays for our monthly movie pass thing. It's funny because I am pretty sure the dude who is always working the bar knows that she's a secret shopper :lol

If anyone is looking to do this be sure to vet the company a little. There are a lot of scams out there, but also a lot of legit companies. Confero and Dynamic Advantage are 2 of the companies I used to do a lot of work for.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »

My problem is that it just demonstrates an unwillingness to think. Lots of stores have strict "card everybody" policies on paper, but they never actually happen. Anytime somebody has carded me and claimed that they card everyone, even senior citizens, they're always the odd duck in that store. They're just unwilling to exercise even a modicum of discretion, and I have no respect for people like that. I was told by somebody at a grocery store that they're required to swipe driver's licenses now (which kind of pissed me off). Haven't seen it happen again over the last six months. "What's your birthday?" One, one, twenty one. "You look great for your age. Have a nice day."

Some of our supermarkets here that sell beer, you have to enter in the date (year) of birth into the register to allow the check out to continue.   I've had this a couple times where the middle aged woman behind the register scans the beer, looks at me, pauses, then just types in a year.  I've wanted to ask what they put in, out of curiosity, but I get flashbacks to when I was 20 and want to just get out of there as fast as I can.  :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »

Some of our supermarkets here that sell beer, you have to enter in the date (year) of birth into the register to allow the check out to continue.   I've had this a couple times where the middle aged woman behind the register scans the beer, looks at me, pauses, then just types in a year.  I've wanted to ask what they put in, out of curiosity, but I get flashbacks to when I was 20 and want to just get out of there as fast as I can.  :P
Down here I suspect 2/3 of all POS alcohol sales are to people born on August 8, 1988.  :lol

And for you folks narking out bartenders and Stop & Rob clerks, do you get paid even if they do check your ID, or are you specifically looking for the ones that don't?
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »

Down here I suspect 2/3 of all POS alcohol sales are to people born on August 8, 1988.  :lol

And for you folks narking out bartenders and Stop & Rob clerks, do you get paid even if they do check your ID, or are you specifically looking for the ones that don't?

You get paid either way.  I like it better when they do what they're supposed to do, because if they DONT card you, the go through every little detail, including camera footage, to find a reason why you may have fucked up in an effort to protect the employee.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »
How would the customer have fucked up if the employee failed to check ID? Unless you ended up walking out with the alcohol without paying and essentially committing theft, what can the customer do to fuck up and prevent the employee from doing their task? Genuinely curious.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
How would the customer have fucked up if the employee failed to check ID? Unless you ended up walking out with the alcohol without paying and essentially committing theft, what can the customer do to fuck up and prevent the employee from doing their task? Genuinely curious.

There are guidelines. Can't be wearing sunglasses / hats / etc. Must be clean shaven. Hell, some companies require you to be wearing a shirt with no logos / etc.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »

There are guidelines. Can't be wearing sunglasses / hats / etc. Must be clean shaven. Hell, some companies require you to be wearing a shirt with no logos / etc.

Yup, sounds exactly like what I went through. The company wasn't either of the ones you mentioned, Jay - mine was called Manpower, a temp staffing agency - but same guidelines and everything. There was one guy towards the end of my final run who tried to play the 'aw come on man' to get me to give him a green card instead of a red one 'cause he didn't ID me. Gave him the red anyway. He was not happy. I left and went home.  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
oh man...

I did a shop at a franchised convenience store location out in the middle of nowhere a few years ago. Alcohol shop. Chick working the register sold a 32 pack of beer to a kid (didn't even look 18) ahead of me, and then didn't ID me (and my baby face). When I gave her the FAIL card, she freaked out on me. "THE COMPANY SAYS IT'S AT MY DISCRETION! YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE 40! I SELL BEER TO PEOPLE YOUNGER THAN YOU ALL THE TIME!" and then proceeded to cuss me out and threaten me.  We have to include everything said when we put in our reports. She had to have been fired for it.  Funny thing is, I kept getting contacted by the scheduling agency for that location (which is 150 miles from me) for years after that, begging me to go back and do it every month because they couldn't find anyone willing to.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »
So do these companies only hire people under 21 for this job, or do you have to cite people who don't card you even if you're over 21?
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »
I think they sometimes hire under 21, but when I did it, I was 21 or 22.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
Depends on the client. One of the companies worked with had a client that wanted people between the ages of 18 (21 for alcohol) and 25.... But the same company is allowing us to do alcohol shops at the theater at ages 28 and 33.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »
There's no way I'm flagging somebody for not selling me a beer at 33, unless it's to get them fired from an amazingly shitty job for their own good.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
Never worked for one of these companies, but when I was 17 my dad's friend, who was working for an undercover security firm at the time, snuck me in to see Eric Clapton play at Madison Square Garden. The deal was that before Clapton came on I had to go to a bunch of stands and try to buy a beer, and if I actually got anybody to sell to me I could keep the beer :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
Never worked for one of these companies, but when I was 17 my dad's friend, who was working for an undercover security firm at the time, snuck me in to see Eric Clapton play at Madison Square Garden. The deal was that before Clapton came on I had to go to a bunch of stands and try to buy a beer, and if I actually got anybody to sell to me I could keep the beer :lol
Suddenly it all makes sense now.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
:lol :lol Alas, I had nowhere near the confidence to pull off getting someone to sell to me at 17
Photobucket sucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
Just got a notification that a packet with my first assignment has been delivered to my house. I'm curious as to how this will work and still a bit cautious as to if I'm about to get scammed and have my savings cleaned out or identity stolen.

I'll certainly use caution when it comes to sharing any personal info. Up to this point I've only shared my junk email account, work phone number and home address....all of which anyone could find in twenty minutes online.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
Shit I already have your address (Secret santa *cough cough*

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Yeah....so this is a scam. I was told I had a package delivered with a packet of instructions for my first 'assignment'. All that was in the package was a check made out to me for $2,850.00. I emailed and texted the guy 'Steve' who I'd been communicating with and he said just deposit the check and after that I'd get my instructions.

Ummm...no thanks. I sent an email telling him I was leery anyway and this really didn't seem legit and that I was destroying the check. Heard nothing since. I did send a text to the number he'd been texting me from and asked how many people fell for this scam, and told him I was pretty close to being another one.

So, MinistroRaven.....your contact on LinkedIn is either trying to scam someone or has been scammed. I'm doubting that you are trying to scam someone here.

Weird thing is the check that was sent to me is from a local moving business. I'm half tempted to take this check to them and either A) confront them for being a part of this or B) let them know they're being used in this scam.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
Oh man, glad you were smart and avoided a horrible situation. That really sucks though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »
Yeah....so this is a scam. I was told I had a package delivered with a packet of instructions for my first 'assignment'. All that was in the package was a check made out to me for $2,850.00. I emailed and texted the guy 'Steve' who I'd been communicating with and he said just deposit the check and after that I'd get my instructions.

Ummm...no thanks. I sent an email telling him I was leery anyway and this really didn't seem legit and that I was destroying the check. Heard nothing since. I did send a text to the number he'd been texting me from and asked how many people fell for this scam, and told him I was pretty close to being another one.

So, MinistroRaven.....your contact on LinkedIn is either trying to scam someone or has been scammed. I'm doubting that you are trying to scam someone here.

Weird thing is the check that was sent to me is from a local moving business. I'm half tempted to take this check to them and either A) confront them for being a part of this or B) let them know they're being used in this scam.

The guy I got it from is a 3rd connection on my network. As I said on the OP I can’t do it because I am not in the US, nor I have the knowledge it is a Scam if I would have known it I wouldn’t have share it here. After many here commented that they have done part time job with other companies I thought it was legit. Now I am glad you were smart enough to get out of this unharmed.