Author Topic: Ruba's 90s Extravaganza v. I don't mind the sun sometimes  (Read 3957 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Ruba's 90s Extravaganza v. I wish I would've met you
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
Honestly.   We are open to other styles of music.  So while you tuned out, we tuned in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
I bought Short Bus on the strength of Hey Man, but for some reason this is one of the very few albums I sold. I had a brief streak during those years where if an album didn't grab me on the first listen I would abandon it and potentially pawn it. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have ended up reacquiring many of them when I revisited them as an older person. This is one I still have not. I actually don't think I still have this song and I like this song.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
Honestly.   We are open to other styles of music.  So while you tuned out, we tuned in.

Let's just say that I was in a personal Ice Age in 1995.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 06:41:09 PM »
Right, and for me, I had no kids (our one regret) but you had greater responsibilities. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
Right, and for me, I had no kids (our one regret) but you had greater responsibilities.

It wasn't that. My life was upside fucking down. My kids weren't born until '01 and '03.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 06:54:08 PM »
Well.  You were cryogenically frozen then.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »
TAC livestream:

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:59 AM »
That's a cool song but I never knew the background to it.

I came to know Filter because of the X-Files, One (Is The Lonliest Number) was featured in the movie. I really like the first three records, with Title Of Record being my favorite. Never really followed them after their hiatus.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 06:28:30 AM »
About the 90's and being "fogey-er":  I traveled a lot for work, so I got forceably exposed to a lot of stuff that I'm not sure I would have otherwise.  So there's that.  Not a lot of it stuck, though, to be honest.   If I named my top 25 bands (though I don't really think that way, so that would be hard) I'm not sure one of them started and had their best decade in the 90's.  MAYBE Pearl Jam, but I doubt it very very highly, since I think they only have two and a half great records. 

As for Filter, it's worth seeking out the "Army Of Anyone" record.  It's basically Richard Patrick and the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots (with Ray Luzier - DLR and I think Korn, don't quote me on that because the only Korn I like is in my stool - in on drums).   It probably won't rock your world or anything, but it's a good record.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 07:12:08 AM »
Yes, Korn now for Ray.  That's an awesome album Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm waiting for 90s power metal to show up. :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »

Can't we go to your thread for that? :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »
 :lol

Bosk posted Rust In Peace in the 80’s thread. That’s a 90’s album!

Ruba, where’s the metal??

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »

Like I joke with my old man all the time... if it was up your ass you'd know! "Maybe not!" :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 01:26:22 PM »

Like I joke with my old man all the time... if it was up your ass you'd know! "Maybe not!" :lol

Just like a Progressive Insurance commercial, you're turning into your parents.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »

I do have some metal bands planned, but I'll be mostly focusing on songs that got airplay on MTV (or at least I assume did, since I wasn't really watching it before early 00s). At least for now.

:lol

You might have to wait for a while. Although I might leave the keys to this thread under the doormat, if i.e. my studying schedule gets too hectic during the winter. ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »

Just like a Progressive Insurance commercial, you're turning into your parents.

Why should I get a new phone? This one works perfectly fine. <flip>

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »

Filter is metal, just not the metal you listen to.  ;)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »

Filter is metal, just not the metal you listen to.  ;)

And so is Ministry.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »
Tim's metal is in a time capsule folks. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
I just noticed this thread today, but it seems I haven't missed much.  If I've heard any song on any of the four albums mentioned thus far, I wouldn't know it, and I've never even heard of Filter.

I just realized that the stuff that's been posted thus far are songs, not albums.  Oops...
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
Hey Man Nice Shot was definitely one of my favorite songs of this era.  However, I was never able to get into any of Filter's other stuff.

I've seen the Dwyer suicide, but I didn't make the association at the time I first heard the song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
I think this is the first time I've heard HMNS. I've read about it but never heard it. Not what I expected. Definitely sounds 90s. The word I'd use to describe it is 'grimey.' I like the riff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »
I always loved this song from Filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxLflgI3A1U

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2019, 06:36:31 AM »
SHAKEPEARS SISTER
STAY

Shakespears Sister is an Irish/American pop duo, that started as a solo project of former Bananarama (yeah, that one) member Sioban Fahey. The group’s name comes from The Smith’s song Shakespeare’s Sister and the misspelling was first accidental, but Fahey decided to run with it. Shakespears Sister started gaining steam after American vocalist Marcy Levy (going with a stage name Marcella Detroit) joined forces with Fahey. The duo’s biggest moment of glory was the second single from their second album Hormonally Yours, called Stay.

The two women have drastically different voices, with Fahey having deep, husky and low-key style of vocals while Detroit’s vocal stylings are clearly influenced by soul music, she can hit very high notes and generally sings with a lot of flair. In Stay Detroit is singing the lead vocals for most of the song, professing her undying love to a man in verses over delicate string and synth backing. In the song’s video, she sings the song to her lover who lies comatose in a bed. Fahey joins in in the bridge, where the song takes more sinister vibe with an industrial-esque beat, distorted guitar and Siobhan singing in rather threatening tone. In the music video she appears as some sort of angel of death coming to claim the poor man’s soul. The two women tussle over the man’s life and in the end, he wakes up and embraces Detroit, while Fahey walks away from the scene.

Sounds dramatic, innit? Well. Two things make the video ridiculously campy. Fahey is dressed in a golden glittery one-piece that would’ve been tacky in the eighties, never mind in 1992. Also, her acting is very hammy. For what could’ve been very dark and threatening scene, it becomes pretty silly. But maybe that was the idea all along.

Stay was a smash hit in UK, staying eight weeks at number one and also hit number four in Billboard Hot 100. But the band’s moment at the top was fleeting. The two women were falling out and eventually in 1993 Fahey ended their partnership during an acceptance speech at Ivor Novello awards (which was delivered by publisher, she didn’t attend the show). Consquently, women did not speak to each other for 25 years. Fahey did later revive Shakespears Sister moniker for little to no fanfare.

However, they finally spoke with each other and made up their differences in 2018, releasing a compilation album with two new songs. The music video to All the Queen’s Horses actually references the music video to Stay multiple times.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:43:10 AM by Ruba »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
First one that I don't know. It's funny, I did recently read the story on them and their breakup and reconciliation.

Checked out some samples and nothing rings a bell. Also, doesn't really sound like something that would have grabbed me back then, as it didn't now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kwyjibo

I know that song, it is okay when it comes on the radio, but nothing that I actively reach for. Haven't heard other songs from them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even though I grew up through the 90's, everything so far I have no real connections with.  Haven't even heard of the last one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ruba

I know that song, it is okay when it comes on the radio, but nothing that I actively reach for. Haven't heard other songs from them.

To be fair, I'm not too big on them either. I wanted to include this basically because I like cheesy/cool music videos and the story of them breaking up at the peak of their popularity and doing the silent treatment for decades until finally reconciliating is interesting.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
As for Filter, it's worth seeking out the "Army Of Anyone" record.  It's basically Richard Patrick and the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots (with Ray Luzier - DLR and I think Korn, don't quote me on that because the only Korn I like is in my stool - in on drums).   It probably won't rock your world or anything, but it's a good record.

I've been aware of them, but even though It Doesn't Seem to Matter is a real banger have never really ventured further. Listening to their only album now and yeah, it's solid mid-00s alternative rock.

I'm going to cover Stone Temple Pilots at some point too. I very rarely listen to them but I like what I've heard and would certainly want to give them a fair shot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Nope, I got nothing. 

Offline pg1067

Even though I grew up through the 90's, everything so far I have no real connections with.  Haven't even heard of the last one.

Never heard of the song or the band....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
that video got a fair amount of play on MTV/VH1.  I remember being creeped right the f out by her look/facial expressions.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll check the video out later and see if it rings a bell.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.