Author Topic: Chances DT changes up the 1st set on the 2nd leg  (Read 3425 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Chances DT changes up the 1st set on the 2nd leg
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
So I guess the 2nd leg will be SFaM for the 2nd half again.

What are the odds that they significantly change up the setlist for the 1st half of the show?  I'm not inclined to make the trip to Canton/Cleveland from Pittsburgh (really surprised they've skipped us on both legs now) if it's going to be much of the same.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Chances DT changes up the 1st set on the 2nd leg
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
I hope so, but since it is the SFAM set, there may not be much or any difference.  Maybe they slip in some of the Euro songs like Peruvian Skies/Lie/As I am for something else.  I'm not really sure I see them dropping PBD which would make room for AWE, but I'm not sure I see it happening sadly. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
Given that the first set featured only six songs, there's not a lot of room for "significant" change.

Untethered Angel
A Nightmare to Remember
Fall Into the Light/Paralyzed
Barstool Warrior
In the Presence of Enemies, Part I
Pale Blue Dot

I would assume (and hope) that both ANTR and ITPOE get dropped, and I wouldn't be surprised if FITL/Paralyzed and either Warrior or Dot get dropped.  That would give them 35-40-ish minutes to add AWE and S2N and a couple non-DOT tracks.  Getting Peruvian Skies or Lie (or, god forbid, both) would be really disappointing for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
I say, change the encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »

Octavarium  :heart  :rollin

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Octavarium  :heart  :rollin

Please please please let this happen. I could die happy if I get to see that incredible song played live.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
No. Not Octavarium please.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
If they don't change it, I'm going to have to hard pass on this one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
Swapping out for similar length songs....I'd be down for this Set List:

Untethered Angel
The Count of Tuscany
S2n
Barstool Warrior
Blind Faith
At Wits End
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
They won't change it. Not enough time to rehearse and change the video production and light show to the click tracks.
That's what I don't like about modern concert production, a little too robotic... I'd love to see DT ditch the click and have some freedom to roam and change things up. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »
They won't change it. Not enough time to rehearse and change the video production and light show to the click tracks.
That's what I don't like about modern concert production, a little too robotic... I'd love to see DT ditch the click and have some freedom to roam and change things up.

Well....maybe....unless they've planned both legs from the start. Maybe they already knew/know what the changes were and it's a simple add/subtract. I mean, that's what DT and their gang do for a living. Seems like it'd be something they could pull off.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »

Plenty of time and they changed the set between the US and Euro leg already, it's totally possible.  Doesn't mean it will happen though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
The info I have from the band is:  The idea for this leg is to try to mostly hit markets the didn't hit the first time around so that those who didn't get to see this show can see it. 

Of course, it is not an exact science, and not everyone involved in booking tours intimately understands the geography of all markets, so there is going to be some overlap between the locations this time around.  But I would expect the sets to be structured similarly.  That's about all I am at liberty to say. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Lol, yeah to play California again, but not Washington or Oregon or B.C. which was missed on the first leg.   I still love DT, but they need to have a conversation with their management. 
 I actually put some money aside for tix as I thought for sure the Northwest would be on the list of dates when announced.  :\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »
I actually put some money aside for tix as I thought for sure the Northwest would be on the list of dates when announced.  :\

I would have thought so too.  Sorry man.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
Thanks bosk,   I know I have been a little vocal about this today but I can't help it. lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 04:19:16 PM »
No, I completely understand.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Even though I like the song and will enjoy if if is played, they could chuck A Nightmare to Remember, which would free up space for 2-3 songs depending on what they are. 

I say get rid of that, bring in At Wit's End and Peruvian Skies, and always play Fall into the Light instead of Paralyzed, and I'd be ecstatic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
Realistic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
I wanted to say also chuck Untethered Angel, which is a solid yet wholly unspectacular opener, but I know that would be unrealistic.  :lol :lol

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
WILL THEY DO MY GLASS PRISON STATIC ENCORE IDEA FOR THE SFAM SETLIST ALREADY???

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 07:54:02 PM »
Even though I like the song and will enjoy if if is played, they could chuck A Nightmare to Remember, which would free up space for 2-3 songs depending on what they are. 

I say get rid of that, bring in At Wit's End and Peruvian Skies, and always play Fall into the Light instead of Paralyzed, and I'd be ecstatic.

Yes to all of this.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »

I'm not sure I'd want Fall into the Light over Paralyzed.  I think I enjoyed FitL more on album release but Paralyzed is good live one.  I'm not sure.  I kind of like them rotating it, but I'm totally onboard with dropping ANTR and adding AWE and PS.

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Does anyone think that they might play ItPoE Part 2 on this next leg? Maybe it would replace ANtR as they are quite similar in length.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »
Does anyone think that they might play ItPoE Part 2 on this next leg? Maybe it would replace ANtR as they are quite similar in length.

I have no idea, but I certainly hope they don't do this.  It would be a big deterrent to me going to this leg.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »

I would like that.  I like Part 2 better....

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »

I'm not sure I'd want Fall into the Light over Paralyzed.  I think I enjoyed FitL more on album release but Paralyzed is good live one.  I'm not sure.  I kind of like them rotating it, but I'm totally onboard with dropping ANTR and adding AWE and PS.

I am good with this one for sure!  and ya Untethered Angel isn't my fave opener - I really miss the intro to it also..

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 07:47:07 AM »
(wrong thread, post deleted by me, sorry, carry on)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 08:51:30 AM »

I am good with this one for sure!  and ya Untethered Angel isn't my fave opener - I really miss the intro to it also..

Yes to all of this

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
In this thread we learn that they'll never make everybody happy. For every "they should totally ditch Z and put in X" there's a "if they do that I'm not going!" The only reason they have to change a few songs out is to gain some repeat attendees. (The fans who didn't get to see them before will go no matter what the setlist is.) As to whether or not that's a concern for them is anybody's guess, but it certainly should be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
I would love for them to play all of Distance Over Time for set 1 and SFAM for set 2.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
The press release said 2 hours and 45 minutes, so I'm totally going with that for this hopeful projection:

Set 1:

Pale Blue Dot
Lost Not Forgotten
Peruvian Skies
Room 137
S2N
Only a Matter of Time
Out of Reach
At Wits End

Set 2:

Scenes From a Memory

Encore:

The Glass Prison
Fall into the Light
As I Am

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
Ok, why not?

Set 1:

S2N
Wither
Room 137
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
Stream of Consciousness
Out of Reach
At Wits End
Surrender to Reason

Set 2:

Scenes From a Memory

Encore:

Only a Matter of Time
Beneath the Surface
Viper King

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »

Unless they add an instrumental, I think it stays.  The first five minutes of it being instrumental gives JLB's voice a breather, which I am sure explains its placement in the set. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
The press release said 2 hours and 45 minutes, so I'm totally going with that for this hopeful projection:
While they aren't clear on it, 2 hours and 45 minutes is gonna include the 15 minute or so intermission. Mark my words. That said, your setlist looks good, altho a bit too long for what they'll play.

Voices
I think you can scratch that one off the list. I doubt we'll ever see it, AD or TtT in the setlist ever again given the difficulty in singing those tracks.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.