Author Topic: Selling my car - Questions  (Read 1049 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Selling my car - Questions
« on: June 23, 2023, 04:08:40 PM »
Howdy!

So I’m trying to sell my car and I’m going a bit insane

I just got it all cleaned and detailed and it looks great. 2011 Ford Escape with 154k miles. All in good shape.

Carmax offered me 1200. I just paid 360 for the detailing.

Trying to sell it person to person but it’s insane. I’ve gotten well over 100 responses, most of which spam. I have no idea what even to do for the most part. I printed out a bill of sale and such from the DMV. I know I have to sign the title over to them and take my plates off. But does anyone else have tips for selling a car? I am just lost and losing my mind a bit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 04:59:42 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Selling my car - Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 05:20:12 PM »
I've done this two times, both with people from online postings, but they were within groups my wife was a part of, so we could trust they were actual people. I posted details about the car with a price. Anyone who wanted to barter or make an offer, I ignored. From those offering the asking price, I just picked one, met with them, had them drive it around, and signed it over.

Our state's DoL website has a form to fill out. I recall it being pretty straightforward, though there is a small window of time to complete it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 05:27:24 PM »
Assuming you're not in a hurry, and don't be in a hurry, find the value of the car and wait until somebody's ready to buy it from you. Carmax would immediately flip the thing for 3x what they pay you because they're not in a hurry.

I assume you're listing it CL. Plenty of flippers there, but also some real people.

Also, no idea how it is wherever you are (NY?) but down here the plates stay on. DMV may or may not issue new ones.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 05:31:43 PM »
I never removed my plates, but looking at my DoL website it says it is recommended.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline coz

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 06:09:30 PM »
Not sure where you're located, but here in Colorado, the seller is supposed to get an emissions test done for the buyer.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 06:49:47 PM »
Depends where you live. I've sold more vehicles than I can remember. As is sale, cash only, bill of sale, only sign your name and date on title once cash is in hand. Keep a copy of everything, just take a picture with your phone. Return your old plates and get a receipt if required in your state. Notify town hall so you aren't taxed and send them a copy of the BOS. Don't accept payment from Nigerian Prince.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 09:08:43 PM »
I had good luck with Carvana……was extremely simple and easy. Probably the same as your CarMax situation.

I just wanted to avoid the hassle of selling it to a person and dealing with whatever clerical crap that comes along with it. The process was easy with Carvana.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »
I had good luck with Carvana……was extremely simple and easy. Probably the same as your CarMax situation.

I just wanted to avoid the hassle of selling it to a person and dealing with whatever clerical crap that comes along with it. The process was easy with Carvana.

So a week ago my carmax online quote was 1500. Meh. Today my carmax quote is 1200 and my carvana quote was like 5-600. It’s insulting.

Listed it on Facebook market group for 2700. Had to sift through at least a hundred replies of mostly nonsense. I hate every second of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 06:14:47 AM »
Yeah in NY you have to surrender the plates after you sell your car.

If you just want it out of your hands and you don't care about the money, selling it to a dealer is the easiest thing to do (online or in person). However, if you are not in a hurry and want to maximize profit, you can always list it on places like CarGurus.

I sold a van through there once, It was free to post and they only charge you once you sell the vehicle, if you sell it through their system. A person reached out to me through their site, but the deal was in person so I did not need to pay a fee after all. There are other sites, but those usually charge upfront to list for a specific amount of time.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 06:27:52 AM »
I've got to a point where I just go to a dealership, knowing the cars worth. Get what I ask for.  Then I put it towards my new purchase.   Now, we bought used back in the day and they had warranties still with used. Might want to check that route out as well. 

Cover all the bases.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 06:35:22 AM »
I've got to a point where I just go to a dealership, knowing the cars worth. Get what I ask for.  Then I put it towards my new purchase.   Now, we bought used back in the day and they had warranties still with used. Might want to check that route out as well. 

Cover all the bases.

Yea. I'm just looking to sell, not get a new car. And so far it looks like dealerships will give me virtually nothing for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 06:44:01 AM »
Ah. Keep checking those online dealerships. At some point, the eb and flow of pricing will go up.  It may not be exactly what you want but it's easier thank dealing with selling yourself.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 07:44:39 AM »
I've sold a few cars privately, but I've always in retrospect way under priced them. So I've managed to sell them all in a matter of hours.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 07:50:45 AM »
I've sold a few cars privately, but I've always in retrospect way under priced them. So I've managed to sell them all in a matter of hours.

How did you get the word out? I’m using Facebook marketplace and it’s a nightmare. I’d imagine Craigslist would be worse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2023, 10:04:13 AM »

I've felt I underpriced my cars as well. Unless you desperately need the cash, start out high, and don't accept less. You can always bring it down.

How did you get the word out? I’m using Facebook marketplace and it’s a nightmare. I’d imagine Craigslist would be worse.

Are you a member of any Facebook group? My wife is a member of a local parent group and posted our last car there. This helped (I assume, my wife did it) eliminate the possibility of spam and bogus buyers.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 07:29:18 PM »

Marketplace for the most recent couple. Craigslist for the first one.

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2023, 08:26:30 AM »
Another question for y’all.

And I really appreciate all the help thus far.

So say someone buys the car. They like it, they give me money, we sign the bill of sale, I sign over the title. Etc.

Am I correct that I still have to hold on to the car till that person goes and gets it registered under their name and comes back with plates/registration?

I think I read that until then, the car is still registered under my name and I’m ultimately liable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 08:50:00 AM »
I forget where you live, but here in Florida this is what it says:

"Florida law requires private sellers to file a Bill of Sale form HSMV 82050. If the buyer does not file for the title and registration and the seller does not file a Bill of Sale, the seller can be held legally liable for actions with the vehicle, even if they no longer own the car."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »
In Minnesota you go online and register the sale. I've got to imagine it's similar elsewhere. I've also met buyers at the DMV to have them register the sale right away.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2023, 05:17:00 PM »
My parents always used a very short, generic waiver when they would sell person to person.  They typed up something that says that the buyer is purchasing the car as-is and that you (the seller) are not responsible for anything that happens once they drive off with the vehicle.  I'm sure you can google some sort of language to use.  You can sign it and then the buyer can sign it. 

This way you have a little written protection in the event that the buyer comes back to you or sues you because something happened to the car shortly afterwards. 

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2023, 05:21:36 PM »
Car is sold. Hated every second of it. Got way more than carfax but way less than I think it’s worth. But the stress was so annoying that I’m relieved to be done.

And I wrote on the bill of sale “sold as is”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2023, 05:23:41 PM »
Glad it worked out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »
Depends where you live. I've sold more vehicles than I can remember. As is sale, cash only, bill of sale, only sign your name and date on title once cash is in hand. Keep a copy of everything, just take a picture with your phone. Return your old plates and get a receipt if required in your state. Notify town hall so you aren't taxed and send them a copy of the BOS. Don't accept payment from Nigerian Prince.

I have too, and this is spot on from my experience. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2023, 07:41:26 AM »
Car is sold. Hated every second of it. Got way more than carfax but way less than I think it’s worth. But the stress was so annoying that I’m relieved to be done.

Next time, call your attorney.

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 07:43:16 AM »

Next time, call your attorney.

Your number was busy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com