Author Topic: TURO-car sharing  (Read 893 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TURO-car sharing
« on: June 20, 2023, 07:24:31 PM »
Anyone use this before? Experiences?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: TURO-car sharing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 07:31:55 PM »
I keep intending to try this out, but haven't had a chance yet. I'm also curious about any experiences anyone has had with this service.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:38:25 PM »
As much as I rail against stuff like Air BNB and Uber, this seems like a very unTAC thing but I'm thinking of using them for something.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:24:10 PM »
As much as I rail against stuff like Air BNB and Uber, this seems like a very unTAC thing but I'm thinking of using them for something.
There are better ways to make money than smuggling drugs, dude.

A friend has had good experiences. I've always shied away because getting the car delivered to the airport is kind of expensive, but I'd be willing to give them a shot if the circumstances were good. The standard rules seem to be the key. Look for people with a long history and positive reviews. Dig for the bad reviews and see if they seem legit. What I can say is that if you look for Turo horror stories, there are 50 from owners for every one from a renter. No idea why people actually put their cars out there like that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:29 PM »
There are better ways to make money than smuggling drugs, dude.

A friend has had good experiences. I've always shied away because getting the car delivered to the airport is kind of expensive, but I'd be willing to give them a shot if the circumstances were good. The standard rules seem to be the key. Look for people with a long history and positive reviews. Dig for the bad reviews and see if they seem legit. What I can say is that if you look for Turo horror stories, there are 50 from owners for every one from a renter. No idea why people actually put their cars out there like that.

I'd be the renter.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 09:51:32 AM »
I'm a member of a visiting Alaska group on Facebook, and I see a LOT of posts about people using Turo.  Given its remoteness, Alaska has a limited supply of rental vehicles, and this was exacerbated in 2020 and 2021.  I don't recall seeing anyone posting any sort of negative experience.  I have no idea how it works or anything.

That said, if you're an owner renting your car like this, you'd better damn well be sure you have appropriate insurance because ordinary car insurance won't cover damages resulting from a personal car's use as a rental vehicle.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »
I'm a member of a visiting Alaska group on Facebook, and I see a LOT of posts about people using Turo.  Given its remoteness, Alaska has a limited supply of rental vehicles, and this was exacerbated in 2020 and 2021.  I don't recall seeing anyone posting any sort of negative experience.  I have no idea how it works or anything.

That said, if you're an owner renting your car like this, you'd better damn well be sure you have appropriate insurance because ordinary car insurance won't cover damages resulting from a personal car's use as a rental vehicle.
Turo has its own insurance, and by all accounts are pretty decent at covering damage claims. And part of the process is that both the renter and the loaner have to take lots of detailed pictures before every rental. Most of the horror stories end with them being made mostly whole, but only after some time and a lot of hoops. Of course liability is a different matter.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 10:11:19 AM »
I had a client rent a Tesla through Turo.  After he returned it, the owner of the Tesla accused him of damaging the glass roof, alleging that a crack appeared where there was just a small chip.

Our client ended up being responsible for the damage, despite their feelings that the vehicle owner was just trying to scam them to get the glass roof replaced before he sold the vehicle.  Turo didn't have a contract that stipulated which party would be responsible for damage, so it was just he-said/she-said and Turo sided with the vehicle owner.

Check with your insurer/credit cards about damage to rental vehicles and inquire with Turo or the vehicle owner about the rental contract.  My opinion is to stick with the tried and true rental companies and to purchase their insurance so you can just turn the vehicle in when you're done, regardless of any damage that may have occurred.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 11:26:42 AM »
I haven't used the rental car company's insurance in over three decades.  Saves quite a bit of $$$, and my insurance would be sufficient if the need arose.

Seems there's quite a bit of add on expenses with Turo over their list prices.

Being ye ol' fart, I'll stick with the tried and true big names.  I've never had an issue with them, and most importantly, their vehicles.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 11:29:25 AM »
My coworker has used it and likes the service, but he's a car guy and likes getting to choose a specific car.  I'm not.  I'll take the traditional rental so I've never used it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »
My coworker has used it and likes the service, but he's a car guy and likes getting to choose a specific car.  I'm not.  I'll take the traditional rental so I've never used it.
This is the advantage for me. There are times I've thought I might enjoy a stick or a convertible, and Turo would be a much better way to do it.

The other downside for me is that there are often mileage restrictions. When I rent a car it's possible I'm driving 2-3k miles. Unlimited mileage knocks 75% of the vehicles off of Turo.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »
Big car guy and honestly I've tried Turo and hated it. You have little to no recourse if the car is broken and there are plenty of stories about owners claiming their vehicle was damaged when it wasn't. The last time I rented the car I got in with a christmas tree of lights on the dashboard which was really annoying because I then had to go get a car from a traditional rental place.

If you need to rent a car go with one of the big firms, I just rented a Maserati from Enterprise for $370 for 3 days in Florida. ezpz
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 12:14:25 PM by ReaperKK »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »
Big car and honestly I've tried Turo and hated it. You have little to no recourse if the car is broken and there are plenty of stories about owners claiming their vehicle was damaged when it wasn't. The last time I rented the car I got in with a christmas tree of lights on the dashboard which was really annoying because I then had to go get a car from a traditional rental place.

If you need to rent a car go with one of the big firms, I just rented a Maserati from Enterprise for $370 for 3 days in Florida. ezpz

Thank you for this.