Author Topic: Top Gun: Maverick - Official Trailer (2020)  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Top Gun: Maverick - Official Trailer (2020)
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
Jennifer Connelly was - and is - beautiful, but somewhere along the line she fell into that trap where she worked out so much she got... "hard".  I don't mean "ripped" or "muscled", I mean her look became very angular.  Madonna is another woman who fell into this (Demi Moore too).  I get it, we want to be healthy, but if we're just talking aesthetics, it's not one of my favorite looks.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
I've never found her attractive until Maverick, personally, but she put in a great performance, I thought. Lots of depth and understandable hesitancy, along with strength and attitude.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »
I've never found her attractive until Maverick, personally, but she put in a great performance, I thought. Lots of depth and understandable hesitancy, along with strength and attitude.

The Rocketeer. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2022, 12:58:57 PM »

The Rocketeer.

Yeah. Fair enough.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2022, 06:11:57 AM »
Saw this last night with a friend. Surprisingly very good.  I thought the romantic angle was thrown in just because they felt they needed one (it had little to zero impact on the main story, unlike the Charlie relationship in the original), and I think the last 15-20 minutes could have been a little better, but overall it was very good and highly enjoyable.  The countless callbacks to the original, from lines to references to actual camera angles, were cracking me up. I thought the Bob character was silly, as it seems unlikely that someone that bumbling and seemingly clueless could be a RIO, but I thought the rest of the casting was good, and Goose's son having the same terrible mustache was LOL for sure.  Well done overall.

Jennifer Connelly was - and is - beautiful, but somewhere along the line she fell into that trap where she worked out so much she got... "hard".  I don't mean "ripped" or "muscled", I mean her look became very angular.  Madonna is another woman who fell into this (Demi Moore too).  I get it, we want to be healthy, but if we're just talking aesthetics, it's not one of my favorite looks.

Funny, as I thought this exact thing when seeing the film last night.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2022, 09:30:59 PM »
Just got back from it. Pretty fun movie….well executed sequel. Perfect amount of nostalgia mixed with an earth version of the Death Star bombing run. Agree with Kev that the Romantic aspect of the movies could have been cut completely and it’d have taken nothing away from it but I get why they threw it in there. Thankfully it was a small, meaningless bit that they didn’t waste much time on.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2022, 06:30:34 AM »
I may be alone in this regard, but I was talking to someone at work about this year and made the observation that the fact that I hadn't seen a new Tom Cruise film since Eyes Wide Shut (20 years ago?) made the aging of the Maverick character more impactful for me.  For those who have seen him in the countless films he has done over the years, I am sure his aging wasn't (for lack of a better term) jarring, but since the last time I saw him in a film, he looked pretty young, to see him looking older really helped in making the character seem naturally older (rather than it being an actor I have seen a lot over the years playing a different role).  Anyone else know what I mean?

Also, I joked that if you walk up to random people on the street and asked if you have seen both Top Gun films, how many of the first 100 who said yes to that would be able to answer the question, "What is Maverick's first and last name?", correctly?  I'll bet the number isn't high, despite the fact that one of Charlie's last lines in the original is her telling him so long and then calling him by his full name (middle name notwithstanding).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2022, 07:11:35 AM »
I may be alone in this regard, but I was talking to someone at work about this year and made the observation that the fact that I hadn't seen a new Tom Cruise film since Eyes Wide Shut (20 years ago?) made the aging of the Maverick character more impactful for me.  For those who have seen him in the countless films he has done over the years, I am sure his aging wasn't (for lack of a better term) jarring, but since the last time I saw him in a film, he looked pretty young, to see him looking older really helped in making the character seem naturally older (rather than it being an actor I have seen a lot over the years playing a different role).  Anyone else know what I mean?

Also, I joked that if you walk up to random people on the street and asked if you have seen both Top Gun films, how many of the first 100 who said yes to that would be able to answer the question, "What is Maverick's first and last name?", correctly?  I'll bet the number isn't high, despite the fact that one of Charlie's last lines in the original is her telling him so long and then calling him by his full name (middle name notwithstanding).

I'm not a Top Gun madman, though my ex-wife was  big fan (she was in the Air Force).  I just read an article a couple days ago and it had Maverick's full name and I was like "huh, that's not what I expected!".

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2022, 07:58:39 AM »

I could have answered first and last.....can't recall middle name?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
I don't think they ever said his middle name, did they?

I just meant full name as in just his first and last.  I should have worded that better.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2022, 12:37:30 PM »

There are a multitude of screenshots out there from the original and the sequel side-by-side and I definitely get what you mean. Though I was amazed to find out Cruise is almost 60(!). He still looks great for his age.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
I will most likely never watch this movie, but I'm really glad one of these sequels seems to have finally delivered and didn't just try to milk a nostalgia cow.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
I will most likely never watch this movie, but I'm really glad one of these sequels seems to have finally delivered and didn't just try to milk a nostalgia cow.

It's certainly a sequel that doesn't feel forced and it's handled really well. Simple story, great action....some meaningful character moments between the characters that should have them....I was impressed at how much I enjoyed the movie.

Seeing it in the theater was great just because of the shots from the cockpit and the aerial fighting etc etc. That was really cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2022, 05:52:29 PM »

There are a multitude of screenshots out there from the original and the sequel side-by-side and I definitely get what you mean. Though I was amazed to find out Cruise is almost 60(!). He still looks great for his age.

36 years since the original Top Gun, and it looks like he will be 60 next month.  Yes, he has the advantages of personal trainers and cooks and whatnot to help keep him in good shape, but he is obviously a workout fiend. I will give him props for that, but he is still a Scientologist nutjob (which is redundant :lol).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2022, 06:52:20 AM »

36 years since the original Top Gun, and it looks like he will be 60 next month.  Yes, he has the advantages of personal trainers and cooks and whatnot to help keep him in good shape, but he is obviously a workout fiend. I will give him props for that, but he is still a Scientologist nutjob (which is redundant :lol).
Not only that, but one can reasonably infer he's had a lot of high end plastic surgery, both to slightly refine his looks as a younger man and then to keep looking younger. Everything listed in this video seems pretty plausible to me just from looking at the comparison images.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2022, 06:05:03 AM »
My wife and I saw the movie yesterday - I think it was our first time in a theater since 2014.  We went to the closest theater, which was sold out for the next two showings, aside from seats in the very first row.   Then we drove to a different town where there was NOBODY in the theater, and maybe 10 people came in after us.  The concession prices blew me away before the movie even had a chance to.   :lol

It's a very amazing movie and deserving of all of the success.  Great story, great action sequences and it pulled on all of the right strings - it was hard to not tear up at times seeing Maverick, Iceman and shades of Goose in Rooster (along with the photos and clips from the first film). 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »
Just caught this movie last night and WOW, what a great flick!  It's rare that sequels are as good as the originals, but this one delivers.
I figured it would fall short since they rushed to make the sequel so quickly.. 😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »
Just saw this today. Great movie. Everything felt right. It wasn't perfect, but anything that bothered me in real time was minor and didn't detract from my overall enjoyment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2022, 03:17:19 PM »
Saw it yesterday. It was just a big tribute towards the legacy of Top Gun, I mean the intro...  :lol Honestly despite being a bit to over the top with the throwbacks it was still the absolute best direction to do a sequel for a cult movie like Top Gun.
The whole F-14 scene was kinda silly but again this was a proper fan service and I enjoyed every minute of it!  :heart

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
I really hate the idea of "fan service." If you want to provide a service to the fans, make a good damn movie.  That being said, I think TG:M toed the line about as good as I could have hoped for. I thought it was going to be too heavy-handed at the beginning, but only during the bar singing scene was it a little too much for me.

I will disagree with you on one thing though, I think Top Gun is in no way a cult movie. That movie was a monster in the late 80s, both at the box office and the impact on the zeitgeist at the time. Making a sequel that is both worthy of the name and a solid movie in its own right to entertain the contemporary audience 35 year later is no easy feat. And they succeeded on both counts with flying colors.

I was also thinking about Cruise's introduction. It hit me at the time, then I forgot about it when the film started. But he just thanked me for coming to the movie. That wasn't necessary. He didn't need me there to put food on his table. But a cool gesture nonetheless. It couldn't have been tacky, especially considering who we are talking about. But it wasn't. It felt real, from a wacko in an industry that is anything but.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2022, 04:01:50 PM »
I will disagree with you on one thing though, I think Top Gun is in no way a cult movie. That movie was a monster in the late 80s, both at the box office and the impact on the zeitgeist at the time. Making a sequel that is both worthy of the name and a solid movie in its own right to entertain the contemporary audience 35 year later is no easy feat. And they succeeded on both counts with flying colors.
Well maybe i'm using cult movie in the wrong context but my interpretation of it is pretty much what you just said above. Huge movie back in the day with a big legacy, that's no easy task to make a sequel of so I thought the direction they took was spot on as I said.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2022, 11:03:53 AM »
#TopGunMaverick  has become the #6 highest grossing film of all time at the domestic box office, passing ‘Avengers: Infinity War’.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2022, 06:59:07 PM »
Just saw an ad for this on TV with this gem of a line tossed in: “one of the greatest movies ever made” :rollin :rollin :rollin When you reach for ridiculous hyperbole like that you REALLY make yourself look like a clown.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2022, 09:17:44 PM »
My wife and kid really liked Maverick, so we watched Top Gun (1986) last weekend since the kid hadn't seen it. That was one of my favorite movies growing up, and thus one of my most watched. Had no desire to commit 2 hrs to watching it so found chores to do periodically (basically during the Charlie scenes and the volleyball game). Haven't seen it in 20+ years but still knew all the lines. Didn't feel as cheesy and dated as I thought it would have.

My FiL also watched with us. He flew in the Navy during the Vietnam War and had experience being on an aircraft carrier. He doesn't talk much about his time in the war, but it was great getting little insights from him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2022, 12:24:11 PM »
I saw Top Gun: Maverick in theaters three times, including once in IMAX. I was absolutely blown away. The main mission is, as many have pointed out, Star Wars on Earth. Some of the scenes are not achievable (you can't bail out at the speed and altitude Mav was flying at early on, and you certainly can't jump start a Tomcat and launch it with half a runway, to name just two things). But the...passion for the story was there from Cruise. That scene with Iceman was probably the best one in the film, and there were many great ones.

Excellent sequel and hopefully, closure to the entire story. While the fanboy in me loved what they did and could easily see a third film, I think they should call it a day. The one-two punch of Top Gun and Top Gun: Maverick really should end it all. Would I WOULD be interested in, however, are some books that can bridge the gap in the timeline and talk about some of the incidents that Maverick went through leading him into Top Gun: Maverick.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2022, 08:17:26 PM »
Top Gun: Maverick was indeed the right movie at the right time.

I've read that when you are in a room with Tom Cruise, he makes you feel like the most important person in the world. Well I felt like he delivered the cinematic equivalent to me for those two hours I was in the theater for this.

You are also correct that these two movies tell the story of Maverick fully and sufficiently. I am glad Disney is not in charge of this franchise otherwise we'd get inundated with films like Top Gun: The Dropouts, and H_NGM_N: A Top Gun Story.