Author Topic: Top Gun: Maverick - Official Trailer (2020)  (Read 11350 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Top Gun: Maverick - Official Trailer (2020)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Yes finally!!!!

Honestly, that trailer made me excited!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
its official, Tom Cruise finally looks old.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »
its official, Tom Cruise finally looks old.

No, that was Ed Harris, Tom Cruise looks exactly the same as he did 20+ years ago

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 04:43:07 PM »
I was going to say that Cruise looks great while Ed Harris looks like he aged 20 years since I've seen him last. When did I see him last, anyway?

Here's to hoping this is an enjoyable flick!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
I was going to say that Cruise looks great while Ed Harris looks like he aged 20 years since I've seen him last. When did I see him last, anyway?

Last thing I saw Ed Harris in was National Treasure: Book of Secrets.

I'll probably see this, but the original Top Gun doesn't hold any special place in my heart, so I won't go in with any big expectations.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »
I loved it when it came out, though I cannot recall seeing since I was a kid. I do remember when we rented it my mom made my dad FF past the scene where Maverick and Charlie hooked up, despite upon review it being very PG.

My parents also had the album (on vinyl!) and I played it a ton. It has a great tune by Cheap Trick that is only in the film for about 2 seconds, the sappy Heaven In Your Eyes, and the cool instrumental at the end.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 08:17:59 PM »
Awesome!  Not sure why it's not until 2020.  Christmas 2019 would be fair.  It's not like it's a VFX-heavy production or anything.  I'm hoping for minimal CGI but for sure there will be some, just don't make the jets do stupid things.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
When I see a famous actor in a cockpit flying a jet, I just assume they film that in a realistic cockpit set with a green screen.

When I see Tom Cruise do it, I assume he learned how to fly a fighter jet and flew the damn thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »
When I see a famous actor in a cockpit flying a jet, I just assume they film that in a realistic cockpit set with a green screen.

When I see Tom Cruise do it, I assume he learned how to fly a fighter jet and flew the damn thing.

He's bat shit crazy to do those things but he does stunts that other actors will never do.  It places him in the pantheon of Action Film Actors.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
I guess Val Kilmer is not in this?

I guess Tom Skerritt returning as Viper was out of the question since he is really old now and it is doubtful his character would still be working at 86 (the actor's real age).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »

He's bat shit crazy to do those things but he does stunts that other actors will never do.  It places him in the pantheon of Action Film Actors.

Yep. 100% him in the cockpit. Not sure if he was really flying it but he does all that stuff. What a job.

I heard Kilmer IS in it. I’m guessing they’re saving that footage for future trailers.

I’ll see this opening night.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
Speaking of Val Kilmer, while he didn't show up in this trailer, he DID briefly show up in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot trailer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
Yes Kilmer is listed but as far as I saw he's the only returning characterl. Can understand why Viper and Jester and the rest aren't in it, we can't drag out everyone from the original. Though when that trailer started with the voiceover I was hoping it was the bald guy who told them they were going to fly cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »

Last thing I saw Ed Harris in was National Treasure: Book of Secrets.

I'll probably see this, but the original Top Gun doesn't hold any special place in my heart, so I won't go in with any big expectations.
You guys need to see Westworld.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member

Offline faizoff

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 04:44:23 AM »
Regarding Val Kilmer, he was being treated for throat cancer I believe so I wasn't even sure he'd be in the movie in the first place. He looks and sounds so different and at this point, I just hope he's doing well let alone be in this movie.

Regarding Tom Cruise and stunts... well for the last mission impossible movie, the guy did all the car driving, helicopter flying, bike riding, sky diving and all the ground stunts. He took lessons for whatever he didn't already know, the guy is a machine.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
Question: what is everyone looking forward to more, a sweet new Kenny Loggins tune or the return of shirtless volleyball?

:P :P

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
I guess Val Kilmer is not in this?

I guess Tom Skerritt returning as Viper was out of the question since he is really old now and it is doubtful his character would still be working at 86 (the actor's real age).

According to Wikipedia, Kilmer will be in it (and is the only other returning actor).  If Skerritt were in it, it would have to be a thing where Maverick went and had a chat with the retired Admiral or something like that.  He'd absolutely be retired.

Question: what is everyone looking forward to more, a sweet new Kenny Loggins tune or the return of shirtless volleyball?

:P :P

Now THIS is where we need a gender flip!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »

Yep.  Say what you want about the guy and his weirdness but he's a damn good movie star.  I'd love to be able to do what he does.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 06:10:53 AM »
Apparently all the flying shots are real in the trailer except the F-14 at the end. The opening scene is a Blue Angel pilot flying over China Lake.  :omg:

Offline PetFish

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 07:41:49 PM »
Apparently all the flying shots are real in the trailer except the F-14 at the end. The opening scene is a Blue Angel pilot flying over China Lake.  :omg:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cruise actually got to fly one.  He's already a pilot and would be committed enough to go through extra training.  He could probably easily take off from a carrier (that one shot looking back) cuz it basically does it by itself, and then land at a nearby strip instead of back onto the carrier cuz that's balls-tough.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Cruise actually got to fly one.  He's already a pilot and would be committed enough to go through extra training.  He could probably easily take off from a carrier (that one shot looking back) cuz it basically does it by itself, and then land at a nearby strip instead of back onto the carrier cuz that's balls-tough.
Absolutely but I guess they could also use a two seater and disguise that as a one seater from the cockpit, you would still get authentic shots.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
New trailer this morning.  I'll see it in theatres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKxoqEkLxQ
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
CAN'T WAIT. That was awesome. I was 10 when the original came out. It spurred me, like many other kids, to become a fighter pilot. I did my best, but at the end of the day, some medical issues prevented it. But I've really enjoyed the times I've done flying lessons and been in control up there.

This is going to be amazing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »

Westworld!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
I'm looking forward to this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »

I don't know; I'm not a huge fan of Cruise.  I always got a whiff of Pacino/Hoffman from him, and for me, that is a turnoff.  That is, I watch him, and a little voice in my head is "I'm acting here, I'm ACTING here!".  He's not effortless like an Ed Harris, or a Kevin Costner.  I look back at Top Gun or Risky Business, and they have that element of cheese that I just can't really abide (for me, the "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" scene in Risky Business is idiotic not iconic.  I hate that shit.)  I'm not really impressed with the stunt thing; it just kind of makes him into more of a dick to me (with two exceptions: the hanging off the side of the plane, and the altitude dive he did).

By the way, this article is old, but: "Cruise has been seen taking helicopter lessons in preparation for the highly-anticipated "Top Gun" sequel, "Top Gun: Maverick," currently scheduled for release on July 12, 2019."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
I loved it when it came out, though I cannot recall seeing since I was a kid. I do remember when we rented it my mom made my dad FF past the scene where Maverick and Charlie hooked up, despite upon review it being very PG.

My parents also had the album (on vinyl!) and I played it a ton. It has a great tune by Cheap Trick that is only in the film for about 2 seconds, the sappy Heaven In Your Eyes, and the cool instrumental at the end.

Cheap Trick:  Mighty Wings
Loverboy: Heaven In Your Eyes
Steve Stevens (of Billy Idol fame) and Harold Faltemeyer: Top Gun Theme

Yep, dork.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »
Still have that original vinyl.  :lol

Feeling like I truly belong with the old fogies.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
I don't know; I'm not a huge fan of Cruise.  I always got a whiff of Pacino/Hoffman from him, and for me, that is a turnoff.  That is, I watch him, and a little voice in my head is "I'm acting here, I'm ACTING here!".  He's not effortless like an Ed Harris, or a Kevin Costner. 
In fairness, I think that one reason that Ed Harris and Kevin Costner seem effortless is that they are usually just acting like Ed Harris and Kevin Costner.  I like both guys (especially Harris), but a lot of his roles feel like the same character, just in a lot of different situations.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
I have a bit of a problem with seeing words like "acting" in the same sentence as "Kevin Costner."

On topic... just watched that clip. I never would have thought I'd type this.... but that trailer got me pumped to see this!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:19:01 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »
Awesome!

I just wanna have some fun when I go see this one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
I don't know; I'm not a huge fan of Cruise.  I always got a whiff of Pacino/Hoffman from him, and for me, that is a turnoff.  That is, I watch him, and a little voice in my head is "I'm acting here, I'm ACTING here!".  He's not effortless like an Ed Harris, or a Kevin Costner. 
In fairness, I think that one reason that Ed Harris and Kevin Costner seem effortless is that they are usually just acting like Ed Harris and Kevin Costner.  I like both guys (especially Harris), but a lot of his roles feel like the same character, just in a lot of different situations.

That may be true, but that's not a bad thing, necessarily.   I think it depends on why you're there; if you want to be sucked in to a compelling story, or if you want to watch "acting".  It's kind of like music like that; are you looking to see Bruce or REM and see some good songs played well, or are you looking to see Yngwie blister a fretboard and kick 1,000 picks into the audience?   I don't mind some "acting" - I'll always watch DeNiro, just in case, and Leo isn't bad.  But I'm more interested in a performance like Harris as Gene Krantz or Costner as the guy in "Hidden Figures".   Sure, some of it is cliche as far as the characters go, but it's compelling to me. 

The Godfather is great to me, because only Brando was really overacting there.  Duvall was compelling as the guy that was inner circle, but not really; you could see it in his face every scene (do I belong here?).  James Caan - a notorious over actor - was compelling as the hot headed Sonny, but he was really just playing his idealized view of himself.   Pacino wasn't yet in "I'm ACTING here!" mode as Michael, the sort of dark calm in the middle of the storm.   John Cazale was perfect... on and on. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
I think he made the film just to fly the jet (his "love letter to aviation")... and I don't blame him one bit!  I watched a couple of the YT vids about the behind the scenes flight action and he looks like he's having a blast!  I'm stoked for it!

I'd pay to watch Ed Harris in a commercial... he's that good to me.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar