Author Topic: D/T Tour Second Leg  (Read 16957 times)

Offline hunnus2000

D/T Tour Second Leg
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
Howdy folks, I see that there are 2 new dates for AZ and CA in October. Has anyone heard any more about additional dates like how many and what cities they may hit?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: D/T Tour Second Leg
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Huh..Ticketmaster has the CA date as 10/27. It is also listed as D/T and 20 Years Of Scenes

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »
The CA date is at a 1,200 seat performing arts center in El Cajon.  WTF?

I suspect the Ticketmaster description is wrong (and, if I'm right, hope the band's management will see it and raise holy hell about it).  It's also on a Sunday, so I hope that means we'll get Friday and/or Saturday dates in LA/Orange County.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »

I suspect the Ticketmaster description is wrong (and, if I'm right, hope the band's management will see it and raise holy hell about it).  It's also on a Sunday, so I hope that means we'll get Friday and/or Saturday dates in LA/Orange County.

Like in Europe?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
I wouldn't put too much stock in the details on a tour that's not announced yet

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »
The second leg might include some secondary markets so that can be the smaller theater in Cali.

But I would wait until and official announcement is made. Announcement will probably be made after the European run. I know James did say in the Austin show that they  would be back in the States in the fall.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
I just hope they announce all the dates at once. Not thinking they would ever come to Reno, I bought tickets to LA. Then the next week they announced Reno!. Of course it was awesome because I went to both, but I can't always do that :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 10:37:02 PM »
I'm excited. :)  I hope the announce the dates soon.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »

Dude, they already had 4 Cali dates back in March.  You're lucky they're going there at all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »
The second leg might include some secondary markets so that can be the smaller theater in Cali.
Well, considering that El Cajon is basically a part of San Diego (if not the city itself, then definitely the metropolitan area), I wouldn't call it a secondary market.

Definitely surprising that they'd book another show in SD. I would hope the setlist will be siginificantly different from the first run they did in March/April, but I highly doubt it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
Definitely surprising that they'd book another show in SD. I would hope the setlist will be siginificantly different from the first run they did in March/April, but I highly doubt it.

Are you implying they are still touring for SFAM?  I thought that would be over for this next leg in the US.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:10 AM »

Normally I would agree but I got the information directly off of the band's website so that's about as official as it gets I would think.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

Normally I would agree but I got the information directly off of the band's website so that's about as official as it gets I would think.

Yea, I meant more so for any other speculation, but also, it's not like DT's website's never been wrong before so even that without any announcement I would take with a grain of salt.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »

Yea, I meant more so for any other speculation, but also, it's not like DT's website's never been wrong before so even that without any announcement I would take with a grain of salt.

Well they need to get cracking cause it's almost August! Hopefully they will hit either Kansas City or St. Louis. We drove to Chicago earlier in the year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
I'm just really going to be a bit upset if it's more SFAM shows.  I caught it twice, it was awesome experience, but I really want the band to play other songs now.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
They've been doing Full Album setlist for the past 3 US tour (TA, I&W and SFAM) and celebrated Awake and SFAM for the DT12 tour. TA got 2 US tour legs, so it is possible they might repeat the same show, just in different cities.

I am expecting something different though but we won't know until an official announcement goes out.  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Well they played NYC, NJ, and Philly last leg and I kind of doubt they skip the area completely, since well, that never happens so I kind of expect a local show regardless.  I mean, they sold out both NYC and NJ shows too which I've never seen so they definitely will get a crowd if they come back, maybe even if they did the same show too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »

Dude, they already had 4 Cali dates back in March.  You're lucky they're going there at all.

Ummm...they'd have to be the dumbest folks on the face of the Earth to skip the country's most populous state (by a long shot) just because they played there on a prior leg.  There's a reason why they've played more shows in California than in any other state besides New York.  Also, it's not like California is geographically small.  Would you suggest that someone in Raleigh, NC is "lucky" to get a show just because the band played in Philadelphia on a prior leg?  Geographically, it makes about as much sense.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »
Are you implying they are still touring for SFAM?  I thought that would be over for this next leg in the US.
I've heard nothing (official or otherwise) either way. But given DT's track record since MP left (especially since they started doing Evening With shows again in 2014) and the fact that they will be playing Europe probably at the beginning of next year and featuring SFaM then, I would find it odd for them to relearn a bunch of other songs and change the setlist up for the second North American tour, and then go back to what they did on the first North American leg when they play Europe and (I assume) other territories. Then again, anything's possible. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
Not sure why you would think that, Scotty.  They have NEVER in recent history returned in a subsequent leg and played similar sets in the same locations, other than the mis-booking of the second NA leg for The Astonishing.  And, again, that particular tour was booked incorrectly and was not supposed to happen that way.  If you are talking about their history, there is no reason to assume they would not be playing something different this time around. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
If they are still playing all of Scenes on this next US leg, I would hope they'd radically change up the first set and the encore from the first leg.  I'd be down with Peruvian Skies remaining from the summer sets (that would be a killer encore), and FFS, play At Wit's End!  :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
If so, it would be cool if those swapped older songs were replaced with songs that Europe got in recent years but the US has not, like Afterlife, Wither, Beneath The Veil, Peruvian Skies.  I've always been a bit jealous that some songs have only been played in Europe  :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
And I was jealous that USA got Don't look past me and the second leg of The Astonishing. The grass is greener on the other side.  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
And I was jealous that USA got Don't look past me and the second leg of The Astonishing. The grass is greener on the other side.  :biggrin:

It's all perspective  :lol Honestly, living in central NJ I shouldn't have any complaints with the amount of DT shows that come within my reach.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
And I was jealous that USA got Don't look past me

Don't be.  It was the lowlight of the show.  There's a reason why it got dropped after 13 shows.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »

Don't be.  It was the lowlight of the show.  There's a reason why it got dropped after 13 shows.

It's true. I was at one of the shows where they were still playing it, and it was the worst received song of the night. The band was spot on in their assessment that the song wasn't going over well.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »

Agree to Disagree.  Don't Look Past Me's  inclusion in the I&W celebration was a stunning and welcome surprise, and a gift to fan's like me.

Looking forward to the Fall dates.  I do like these slightly off-market shows in the CA area.  The Riverside show during the DT12 leg was quite memorable.  Had a delightful stay in the old Mission Inn next to the venue.

I would not care to se SFAM again in lieu of some of the overdue songs mentioned above, but if they do keep it, maybe they could mix it up like Metallica and play it backwards so that the story has a happy ending?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
Not sure why you would think that, Scotty.  They have NEVER in recent history returned in a subsequent leg and played similar sets in the same locations, other than the mis-booking of the second NA leg for The Astonishing.
Not so Bosk. Excluding the shows from 2016, these 2 pairs of shows had the same exact setlist and were played during different legs of their respective tours:
2014/01/31  Paris, France (Le Zenith)
2014/07/07  Paris, France (L’Olympia Bruno Coquatrix)

2017/02/08  Tilburg, Netherlands (013)
2017/04/25  Tilburg, Netherlands (013)

By extension, there are these shows:
2017/01/30  Rome, Italy (Auditorium Parco della Musica)
2017/01/31  Rome, Italy (Auditorium Parco della Musica)
2017/05/03  Rome, Italy (Auditorium Parco della Musica)
After the first 2 shows in Rome (which were the opening nights of the tour), they dropped A Life Left Behind and TSCO. Otherwise the setlists are the same as what was played in Rome 3 months later.

And while these shows might not be in the same exact city, they are certainly within the same areas (less than 40 miles away from each other), easily within driving distance, and were played on different legs of the same tour:
2014/02/18  Dusseldorf, Germany (Mitsubishi Electric Halle)
2014/07/18  Gelsenkirchen, Germany (Amphitheater Gelsenkirchen)

2014/02/13  Manchester, England (O2 Apollo)
2014/07/05  Sheffield, England (Sheffield City Hall)

Perhaps there are other cities in close proximity that also could be added to this list that I'm not aware of, since I don't know much European geography when it comes to city locations.

Anyway, I would be happy to be proven wrong, but this is the reason why I'm playing the doubting Thomas regarding changes to the setlist.

It's true. I was at one of the shows where they were still playing it, and it was the worst received song of the night. The band was spot on in their assessment that the song wasn't going over well.
That's only because the vast majority of the fans weren't familiar with the song. Had they been familiar with the song, it would've been received far better. And how are B-sides and non-album tracks supposed to be made known to the fans? Besides including them on compilations, playing them out live. It's how Another Won and Raise the Knife became well known songs. So I completely disagree with the assessment that DLPM was rightfully dropped from the set.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »

That's only because the vast majority of the fans weren't familiar with the song. Had they been familiar with the song, it would've been received far better. And how are B-sides and non-album tracks supposed to be made known to the fans? Besides including them on compilations, playing them out live. It's how Another Won and Raise the Knife became well known songs. So I completely disagree with the assessment that DLPM was rightfully dropped from the set.

I agree.  Of course the crowd isn't going to react to that song, they had to know that going into playing it.  Maybe a small pop from a small part of the crowd, but people will never react to a song they never heard before.  Let's also not pretend here, it's not exactly a rocker song that's going to get people reacting in a real noticeable way anyway.  They should have kept it unless there were other reasons like not happy with the performance of it.  Oh well, sucks I didn't get to see it, but for me, it would have been like seeing Repentance.  It's not a song I care for much but I like having been able to see it live.  TLF is even worse for dropping though IMO, that song fit sooo well in the set and was really enjoyable live IMO, luckily it was still in the set for 2/3 of the shows I saw.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »

Eh, yeah I get what you are saying. But, generally non-album tracks are non-album tracks for a reason and aren't super well known across fan bases for that same reason. I'm just telling you that from the show I went to, I can totally understand why, as performers, they dropped the song.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
I was at the IW&B show in Peoria, IL and I thought DLPM was a great addition to the set... one of the highlights for me.

I want to see DT on the next leg if they pull out ANTR, and if they're not playing SFAM again...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
It's really cool that they tried it for a few shows.  It shows a continued willingness to try to give the fans some rare gems.  And if the band decided it wasn't working, I can respect that, even if we might disagree as fans.  You never really know for sure how something like that is working.  I know JP hated playing Scarred for the longest time because he felt like it was a flop live, but a lot of fans really dig it, so...  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
I still think that playing a classic album in full while still trying to support your latest album isn’t a good idea. This tour should’ve been all about DOT and should’ve had a more varied setlist. Now they put themselves in the spot where they’re forced to play SFAM again in full next year in Europe and still half of the new album has been neglected live so far. Hope they find the way to include more DOT songs on the next tour legs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
I still think that playing a classic album in full while still trying to support your latest album isn’t a good idea. This tour should’ve been all about DOT and should’ve had a more varied setlist. Now they put themselves in the spot where they’re forced to play SFAM again in full next year in Europe and still half of the new album has been neglected live so far. Hope they find the way to include more DOT songs on the next tour legs.

Kind of what I think tbh. I wanted to see a DoT setlist right after the album came out... not another damn tour of SFAM songs. And TBH the two (2!) times I've been lucky enough to catch DT have been full album shows (Astonishing, and then IW&B). So I'm good on full albums...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »
I saw 5/9 of the album tracks on the first leg.  While they didn't play the two songs I wanted to see the most, they did represent the album still fairly well albeit maybe not as much as some previous album release tours.