Author Topic: Big 4 bands of 80's rock  (Read 4919 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Big 4 bands of 80's rock
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
I had Back In Black and Hi Infidelity on 8-track. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »
I'm surprised you've even heard of REO Speedwagon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
He heard it from a friend who,  heard it from a friend who.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 08:01:48 PM »
I'm surprised you've even heard of REO Speedwagon.

Why? High Infidelity was huge. I was in junior high when that came out. Their live show from Denver from that tour was played quite a bit on MTV. They had a ton of great songs..Back On The Road Again, Riding The Storm Out, etc...

I actually have Hi Infidelity on CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
They put on a good like show as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
I owned 6 of those at some point in time. 1 of them now in physical form (Back in Black). Hysteria was probably my #1 favorite CD for a good 5 year stretch when it was first released. It was the first or second CD I bought with my own money.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2019, 03:18:15 AM »
While I appreciate that bands like Van Halen were huge in the US, they never made that much of a splash over here in the UK. So from a transatlantic perspective:

Queen
Bon Jovi
Dire Straits
Def Leppard

were all hugely popular in the UK in the 80s.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
I would venture to say that no kid that went to a school dance in 1981 can claim "I never heard REO Speedwagon". 

I don't have it on CD, just LP, but that "side one" is solid as a rock. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:17:01 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
I would venture to say that no kid that went to a school dance in 1981 can't claim "I never heard REO Speedwagon". 

There's no way this isn't not true!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
I would venture to say that no kid that went to a school dance in 1981 can't claim "I never heard REO Speedwagon". 

There's no way this isn't not true!   :biggrin:
Goddammit!!  :) :) :)

Fixed.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2019, 10:38:08 AM »
He heard it from a friend who,  heard it from a friend who.....
:lol

I using MTV as a barometer, and I think Def Leppard takes this kind of easily. Where we run into a problem is that so many of these bands were hugely popular in the mid 80s or the late 80s and so few were popular from 1980-1989. Bringin on the Heartbreak was huge for them in 81. Pyromania was epoch shattering. Hysteria carried them right on through to Adrenalize. That's a run nobody else tops.

ZZTop fits into the conversation. El Loco through Afterburner kept them on MTV and the radio for most of the 80s. They were huge. And while we probably won't consider her rock, Madonna probably had the best run of them all with ST, Virgin, True Blue, Prayer (83-89) (71 million units).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
I using MTV as a barometer, and I think Def Leppard takes this kind of easily. Where we run into a problem is that so many of these bands were hugely popular in the mid 80s or the late 80s and so few were popular from 1980-1989. Bringin on the Heartbreak was huge for them in 81. Pyromania was epoch shattering. Hysteria carried them right on through to Adrenalize. That's a run nobody else tops.

That's true.  But they also had pretty big gaps between albums as well where nothing was going on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »

That's true.  But they also had pretty big gaps between albums as well where nothing was going on.

True.  Def Leppard was mostly MIA on MTV from 1985 till later 1987 since they rarely played older videos once they ran their course except when they did best videos countdowns or rock blocks or stuff like that.