Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48534 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 / 2020-2021?
« Reply #560 on: November 16, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
I'm curious to see what it'll look like in the 2021 playoffs if we can get a matchup between the possibly recovered Warriors and the now-gelled and reigning champ Lakers.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline T-ski

« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
Bucks completely overpaid to acquire Jrue Holiday.

I don’t know in what world Holiday is three 1st round picks better than Eric Bledsoe and George Hill.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:30 AM »

I don’t know in what world Holiday is three 1st round picks better than Eric Bledsoe and George Hill.

I agree that they overpaid, but Holiday runs miles around both Bledsoe and Hill. He is a floor general who can generate plays for himself and others and is quite good on defense as well. The Bucks needed someone who could take the ball out of Giannis' hands and actually run plays. The starting lineup for the next year looks great with him and Bogdanovic, though I don't know what they will have left on the bench.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #563 on: November 18, 2020, 07:29:10 AM »

Well, they weren't paying for JUST Holiday. They were paying to convince Giannis to stay. It's the message "we're going to do everything to give you the best team" so he signs the supermax (I think he's eligible, right?) with them.

For Holiday alone, yeah, that's too much. But for the Bucks' situation, I get it.

Being a fan of a small market team myself, I'm not sure how Milwaukee is going to afford to keep everyone though. I didn't look up their cap numbers, but it seems to me that they are going to be cap busted the moment Giannis signs. I just don't think it's feasible to have three top-tier salary players and still have a really good roster. Not for teams like Milwaukee and Minnesota.

The Wolves flirted (pre-Disney Bubble) with thinking about adding Devin Booker. But in retrospect, it was smart they didn't try (obviously he's no longer available). I just don't think they can afford three max deals and still field a roster that can win consistently. They simply don't make enough money to justify paying the repeater tax over and over again from going over the cap. And no one is going to choose to come play with DLo and KAT for the minimum. Neither will they do it for Giannis. You have to win first before you have that Lebron or KD pull.

I think the key for the smaller market teams is to get two max guys, and then stockpile assets, draft wisely, and see if you can develop young talent you can control for a while (hoops fans, remember the names Naz Reid and Jordan McLaughlin). Here's hoping my Wolves do something great tonight.

I'm so on the fence now regarding Ball and Edwards. I hate what I am reading about Edwards. And I just don't LIKE Ball.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #564 on: November 18, 2020, 07:52:52 AM »
The Bucks are definitely all in right now, and yes, they don’t make this trade without the knowledge Giannis is signing long term.

They have to know Jrue is willing to extend because if he bails on them after this season (has a player option for 21-22) they’ve put themselves in a really bad spot even with Giannis in tow. If/when Jrue extends they will have very little in terms of cap space so it’ll be vets looking for a ring on the minimum to play with this core.

Excited for the draft, I usually have some friends over and make a night of it as I’m that big of a dork, but alas, Covid ruins another thing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #565 on: November 18, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
Official season start date is Dec. 22
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: November 19, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
Very pleased with the Timberwolves draft.

Edwards was the right choice. Fingers crossed he won't be Wiggins pt. 2. But as a 6-5, 230 lbs., bruiser who can score on anyone, he's exactly the scoring machine we need as a third option. And his defensive promise will be great.

Getting Rubio for our 17th pick rights a wrong. Rubio could never shoot, but he's better now, and a ball wizard as every Wolves fan knows. He has a great rapport with Coach Saunders and KAT, and will be a great backup to DLo if he gets injured. They can also play together, which will be valuable in Saunders' system.

I don't know much about Leandro Balmoro, but word is he's a ball handling wizard and great defensive wing. At 6-7, he's tall and versatile. I think that's great value at pick 23 that should blossom into a rotation player.

Jaden McDaniels is a project at pick 28. But he's a 6-10 forward who is going to put on weight (he's only listed at 200 lbs). He can already handle the ball well, which is a trend you see with the Timberwolves right now. Saunders loves multiple ballhandlers on the floor. But if his frame fills out, we could have a really versatile F in the years to come.

Overall, I give the TWolves draft (including the trade to re-acquire Rubio), an A-/B+ grade. We added great ball handlers and passers, got our third scoring option, and slightly improved our defensive ability. All pluses. On the downside, the team  has no real power forwards. Rumor is, James Johnson is going to OKC in the Rubio deal, to make the salaries match. We literally have no other PFs on the roster except Naz Reid (a budding PF/C combination that is essentially KAT's backup and almost a complete copy of his skill set at Center).

So we haven't addressed our very big need at the 4. And we still need to get better shooting and defense.

Rumor has it we're looking at bringing Lauri Markkanen home. Stupid Thibs, when he made the Butler trade, traded that pick and Lavine to the Bulls for Butler. Well, Markkanen is a 7-ft power forward who has range for days. Would be great next to KAT. But I've heard nothing but a rumor at this point.

So we need to address the Power Forward position.

Final Grade - somewhere between A-/B+
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2020, 11:51:28 AM »
I don't know much about Leandro Balmoro, but word is he's a ball handling wizard and great defensive wing. At 6-7, he's tall and versatile. I think that's great value at pick 23 that should blossom into a rotation player.

He still needs a little development, specially on the physical side, but he is a fantastic prospect. I've read that you guys will let him stay at least one more year in Barcelona which should be great for him.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »

He still needs a little development, specially on the physical side, but he is a fantastic prospect. I've read that you guys will let him stay at least one more year in Barcelona which should be great for him.

I'm glad you're familiar with him. Good to hear someone else who knows ball thinks he's promising. I agree, another year with Barcelona will help him gain strength for sure. Plus, with no G-League likely this year (which is where I thought they may send him), it makes sense to let him play another year with Barcelona.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #569 on: November 19, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
The trade/no trade of Bogdan Bogdanovic is the most bizarre thing ever and is so Milwaukee Bucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #570 on: November 21, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
Yay! VanVleet is a Raptor for four more years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dparrott

« Reply #571 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Heat, Nets and Hornets are all doing a decent job.  Should be an interesting east!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: November 21, 2020, 06:17:30 PM »
Nets are gonna have helluva talented team, that’s for sure. Can they gel tho??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #573 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »

Why, who'd they get?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #574 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
C's just signed Tristian Tompson.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
Yay, now we gotta look at the Kardashians courtside. :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: November 21, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »

And Jeff Teague. An upgrade over Brad Wannamaker.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: November 21, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »
I was just going to point this out. Rumor has it Hayward trade to Charlotte can still happen. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: November 22, 2020, 06:22:46 AM »

Why, who'd they get?

Nothing new, just stating the obvious.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: November 22, 2020, 06:34:00 AM »
Tim, you do know the 2 players that are healthy for them this year?  Chad is right. Can they put it together minus egos?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #580 on: November 22, 2020, 08:48:30 AM »
$30M a year for Hayward is awful.

Come back in two years and tell me I’m wrong.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: November 24, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »

Negative. Have you watched Teague the last few years? He went from an All Star PG four or five years back with the Hawks, to a PG who literally over-dribbles and then drives into traffic instead of passing to open guys for shots. I was a huge fan of the Wolves bringing in Teague. And then I watched him play every game.  :facepalm:

Teague is exactly what you DON'T WANT if you want an offense predicated on ball movement.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: November 24, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »
$30M a year for Hayward is awful.

Come back in two years and tell me I’m wrong.

Agreed. Although as the market showed, everyone wants shooting. Smart financial move on Hayward's part. Surprised he got 30/year. I figured he'd decline his 34 mil option, and then get a three year deal for 60. I was off on that for sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: November 24, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »

Negative. Have you watched Teague the last few years? He went from an All Star PG four or five years back with the Hawks, to a PG who literally over-dribbles and then drives into traffic instead of passing to open guys for shots. I was a huge fan of the Wolves bringing in Teague. And then I watched him play every game.  :facepalm:

Teague is exactly what you DON'T WANT if you want an offense predicated on ball movement.

They needed a vet backup when they sit the starters for a bit. No big minutes for him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: November 24, 2020, 05:30:57 PM »

Ok, then it's be my turn this year. ;D

Wanamaker was a fine player but he really didn't add anything to this team.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
Tim,

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/karl-anthony-towns-frustrated-jeff-teague/527672

Teague is the blur in the middle of two defenders, with Towns continuing to clap his hands for the ball as Teague drove into the double-team. Pretty much sums Teague up.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #586 on: November 25, 2020, 07:26:52 PM »
I can't open it for some reason on this ancient laptop I'm using, but I get it. We'll see what happens.

Teague will likely be laying second unit, where Wanamaker really had no impact on the game.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #587 on: December 03, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
AD has finally agreed to a 5-year $190M max deal

Meanwhile, I think the RW for Wall trade is a do nothing trade. Neither team really get better, but it was sort of necessary since both players are so unhappy with their $hit-uation.  :\
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: December 03, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »
Yep on AD. A formality. Not sure if all the details of that contract are public yet, but I'd be curious to know when the "out" for him is in the contract. I am going to guess the same time as LBJ. I know LBJ just signed a two-year extension, but all these guys have outs built in.

I actually like the Westbrook-Wall trade for both teams. Washington gets Westbrook, a future Hall of Famer who will make a dynamic pair with Beal, and reunites Westbrook with Coach Brooks. Beal, for the first time in two years, won't have to shoulder the entire load, and that Wizards team is better than most people think. I can see them as the 5 seed in the East, and one that could very easily advance in the playoffs. And all it cost them was a former All Star PG who has been out of basketball due to injury for two years, and a first round pick. Smart move by the Wizards.

Houston gets back the shorter supermax deal and guaranteed money (which is all you can hope for on those supermax things -- get the one that has the least years left on it) and a former all star PG in Wall who is now fully healthy and has something to prove. If he has a great comeback year (and I think he will - 18 ppg, 9apg), he becomes more tradeable after this season as a rental to a team. AND Houston grabs another first round pick, which is needed after they traded a lot of their picks.

Win-win, as far as I can see.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #589 on: December 03, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
The Russ/Wall trade is a wash. The contracts are equally bad, the pick Houston gets is very minor compensation in case Wall isn’t able to perform post injury. It’s nothing more than a change of scenery move.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »
Yep on AD. A formality. Not sure if all the details of that contract are public yet, but I'd be curious to know when the "out" for him is in the contract. I am going to guess the same time as LBJ. I know LBJ just signed a two-year extension, but all these guys have outs built-in.

"Davis’ deal includes an early termination clause prior to the fifth year"

Source: https://www.nba.com/news/anthony-davis-to-re-sign-with-lakers-on-5-year-deal

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #591 on: December 05, 2020, 06:25:18 PM »
While we are on AD and LeBron... LeBron is going to give up #23 for AD, and he will wear #6 going forward.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:01 PM »
This way he gets two numbers retired by the Lakers just like Kobe.....

And I see Kyrie wasted no time being a douche on media day. Good luck Nets! :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #593 on: December 05, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
Not exactly. When AD came to the Lakers before last season LeBron had planned on giving him #23 and going back to #6 (which he wore in MIA) but Nike wouldn't allow it for business reasons. Not a Kobe thing initially, but whatever the case his numbers going to be retired wherever he plays, I guess?  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #594 on: December 06, 2020, 02:00:41 AM »
Lebron should just wear a different number every game, get them all retired, and troll the teams he plays for by making them have to resort to using letters, hieroglyphs, or some other system of characters to "number" their jerseys.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon