Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48566 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 - V. MJ still bitter about Bad Boys beatdowns
« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2020, 06:29:52 AM »
I hope not!  LOL  What I like about these 2 teams is the ability for shake of a bad game. They are both mentally tough teams.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »
When your team isn't in them (and my team really never is - lol), you gotta love game 7 if you're a basketball junkie. Can't wait for Friday night's tilt between the Raps and Cs. Go Raps!

If the Celtics lose, I wonder if Danny blows it up, starting with Brad Stevens. I like Stevens and think he's a good coach. But as everyone in this thread knows, coaches are always the first to be axed. Should be interesting.

I feel like despite being defending champs, because of the loss of Leonard, the Raps have overachieved. They have proven they are a great team, and Van Vleet has really steadily improved. Such a fun team to watch. Being a native New Yorker, Boston can suck it. So go Raptors!

p.s. really interested to see what my Wolves do with the #1 pick. Honestly, I think trading for Booker isn't going to happen. I could see them importing Oladipo, who fits their game (and can defend). I can also see them trading with the Nets for Levert (who happens to be one of my all time favorite players and can also defend). But I don't see either being good enough to part with the #1 pick.

Assets and the 17, sure. But the #1 pick either needs to be made by the Wolves, or they need to part with it for a superstar. But I don't think that will work. Having three 30-million per year players in Minneapolis just isn't going to be sustainable. So my guess is, they acquire Levert, for probably the 17 and some other pieces, and draft James Wiseman.

Hear me out -- Ball and Minnesota is a non-starter. He can't shoot, he can't defend. Doesn't fit us at all. Edwards makes no sense with all the wings we have (remember, Malik Beasley is going to be resigned, and he averaged 20 ppg for us this year, and he is a defender). So the next logical selection, talent AND fit wise, is Wiseman. You could put him at the 5, moves Towns to the 4, and man, you've got a great pairing. it also frees up Towns to destroy other 4s.

I really want Devin Booker. But honestly, I just don't think it happens. I'd love for Lavine to return. But it won't happen. But Levert, man, talk about a guy who carried the Nets on his back. I love his game, love his moxie. Hope we score him and make the right pick at #1.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: September 10, 2020, 09:07:04 AM »
Stevens just got an extension in August this year so I don't think he is going anywhere.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »
Stevens just got an extension in August this year so I don't think he is going anywhere.

Didn't realize that (I don't follow Celtics contracts too closely). If that's the case, if the Celtics do end up losing to the Raptors, I'm really curious to the changes that may be coming.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: September 10, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
Young team growing.   Missing a top notch player. (Hayward) 

I think they are fine.  That being said I would be disappointing if we lost. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2020, 12:34:10 PM »

I disagree. I think the Celtics rotation is plenty grown and used to the pressure of playoff basketball. While they are young in age, they aren't in terms of experience at this point. I do agree they miss Gordon Hayward's steady perimeter shot and willingness to pass the ball. he is a key cog.

To me, without Hayward, you couldn't ask for a more even series. Game 7 is going to be incredible. But if the Cs do lose, it's not like the Raptors are some shit team. They are the defending champs for a reason. And while Leonard was their horse, he wouldn't have made it without Lowry, Siakam and Van Vleet either. Like I said, great matchup, should be a ton of fun tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
By young I'm talking about 2 of your 3 best players in their 1st contracts. Tatum is only in his 3rd season and Brown in his 4th.  In the rotation this playoffs is a rookie(Williams) ect.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »
The only difference between this years Raptors, and the champs last year is Anunoby swapped in for Green, and NO Kawhi. They have definitely overachieved, running essentially a u-man rotation.  Boston should’ve wiped them out by now. The Raps didn’t deserve the Game 3 win, and arguably Boston shat the bed in Game 4... then again, the Raps DEFINITELY shat the bed in game 5.

Friday goan b gud
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: September 10, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
Sometimes a gritty team pulls it off like the B's in 2011 and the Blues last year.  I hope not to add Toronto to that list. Lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: September 10, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
Sometimes a gritty team pulls it off like the B's in 2011 and the Blues last year.  I hope not to add Toronto to that list. Lol

At least you didn’t reference the 2013 Bruins! 

:lol

:sadpanda:

:censored
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »
Up until the final 2 minutes of G6 of the '13 Finals, that series was some of the best hockey I've ever watched.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: September 10, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
Chad.

:censored :censored :censored :censored

Offline T-ski

« Reply #467 on: September 10, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
James Harden is a fraud.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #468 on: September 11, 2020, 09:18:36 AM »

I agree. With the league being as open as it is, I don't think you want to blow up a team that is already close to being a championship contender. Ultimately, I think that the Celtics are one move away. Can they turn GH into something? Can they turn JB into something? I'm not saying you pull the trigger, but I have a feeling that Danny Ainge will have something up his sleeve.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2020, 10:07:27 AM »

I agree. With the league being as open as it is, I don't think you want to blow up a team that is already close to being a championship contender. Ultimately, I think that the Celtics are one move away. Can they turn GH into something? Can they turn JB into something? I'm not saying you pull the trigger, but I have a feeling that Danny Ainge will have something up his sleeve.

Not sure what their cap situation is, but could they pull off bringing in AD? Haven't they wanted him forever? Sure, LAL can pay him more, but I haven't heard anyone press AD lately on him staying with the Lakers or not. I ASSUME he will, particularly for the cash, but you never know.

AD makes them better for sure. Is Hayward's deal up? If so, you have that money, could slide AD into the 4, and Tatum down to the 3.

Again, I'm not fully up-to-speed on the C's situation.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
Hayward is in his 3rd year of a 4 year deal.

Brown signed a 4 year/115 million in Oct 2019

Tatum free agent 2021

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: September 11, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
Hayward is in his 3rd year of a 4 year deal.

Brown signed a 4 year/115 million in Oct 2019

Tatum free agent 2021

Ah, so what they have, they are still going to have, particularly if they want to retain Tatum (and they should).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: September 11, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »
They defiantly will with Tatum.  Though that's 3 max contracts.  Hard to bring in another. Not sure they can unless one wants to take less than market. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: September 11, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Why in the hell is the Clippers/Nugs game on early and the C's/Raps on at 9? isn't the backwards. Why put the Western teams early and the East teams late? WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: September 11, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »
This game seven is streaky!  Both teams.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 11, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »
Kemba has lost his confidence in his shot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:43 PM »
I've lost confidence in his shot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: September 11, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »
It's hurting the C's because he's a liability on D if his offense isn't chipping in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: September 11, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
Down in the mud,  dirty, ugly hard fought win.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 12, 2020, 05:20:10 AM »
This game seven is streaky!  Both teams.

No shit, right.  Lots of big runs by both teams. 

Well, the truth is the better team won - the game and the series.  Raps didn't deserve even to get to game 7.  Lots of areas to point at where they came up short.  Tatum showed why he can/is/will be 'the guy'.  Siakim, the exact opposite.  He was a disaster this series, culminating in a weak-ass performance last night.  In a word though ... turnovers.  -13 on the scoresheet in that category - Siakim leading the way with 5).  The Boston defence was incredible, but the Raps just didn't take care of the ball.  Way too much sloppiness and mental breakdowns.  I also look at Nurse... he rode the same 7 guys way too hard.  In fact, you can't even say it was a 7-man rotation is was more like a 2-man rotation (Gasol/Ibaka) for the centre-spot, and a 5-man rotation for the rest of the floor.  That's just way too many minutes for 5 guys to share.

To modify a quote by Indiana Jones ... "Boston.  Why'd it have to be Boston?" 

Nonetheless, congrats to them, they performed; the Raptors didn't.  Tatum and Smart were fantastic.  I can't point to anyone on the Raps that was fantastic.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »
Yep, watching the last few games like all of you, it is pretty apparent that the Celtics are the better team. But man, the Raps fought HARD. Van Vleet tried to put them on his back, but it wasn't enough. Still though, the Raps and their fans should be proud. When you lose arguably the best player in the game after you win the title, just the fact they got in the playoffs and made noise, and never quit on Nick Nurse, says something about all the players, Nurse, and the organization. Really solid.

Siakam has issues. I know he is a player that has overachieved in his career and worked really hard to be a good player. He needs to really work hard this offseason. He lost confidence in himself, and it was really, really obvious. He'll get back on track.

As for the Celtics...as a native Long Islander who hates all things Boston sports, and a diehard Minnesota Timberwolves fan, it pains me to say this, but I'm rooting hard for the Celtics. JIMMY BUTLER MUST NOT GO TO THE NBA FINALS. I don't care what it takes, Tonya Harding the SOAB, but he needs to lose.  :lol :lol

The guy needs a good slap in the face, and I really hope the Celtics can pull it off.

Also -- the Clippers need to put the Nuggets away. The Wolves and Nuggets are "rivals" and while I respect their organization, no way could I stomach them getting further in the playoffs. ha ha ha.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
Yeah, I doubt the nuggets win tonight. I think it will be a close game but the clippers will win (we will see though).

I am hoping for a Lakers - Celtics finals. Should be fun and interesting.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: September 13, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »
ABB .... anyone but Boston. Toronto teams have been snake-bit by them in too many game 7s in the last 10 years (4 now). I hate them. All. Especially because all 4 sports have enjoyed lots of success over he last 20 years.

Fuck Boston sports teams.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: September 13, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
I still love you Chad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: September 13, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
I still love you Chad.

I got nothing against the people or the city.  I love Boston.  I have many friends from Boston.  I will even love people who love their teams.

But fuck their teams.  In the bumhole ... with a splintered broomstick.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
We are spoiled.  But, I was on the other side 2 decades ago.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »
Go Nuggets!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »
Well look at that, I was wrong lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: September 14, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if Denver pulled it off. They are a really deep team, skilled, and have a great coach.

That said, fuck Denver, come on Clippers!

Signed,

Every Timberwolves Fan (all like 10 of us)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #489 on: September 15, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
Wow, Tatum was awful in this game.