Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48563 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 - V. MJ still bitter about Bad Boys beatdowns
« Reply #420 on: September 01, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
I have a question, and keep in mind that I am not really a fan of the NBA.

Last night, my kid was watching the Houston v. Oklahoma City game.  At the very end, the OK player sunk 2 free throws to give OK a 4 point lead with 3.x seconds left.  At that point, even I knew that the ball was going to James Harden and that he would shoot a 3-pointer and attempt to get fouled in the process.  The OK defender was playing very closed, and I was more than a little surprised that a foul didn't get called.  Of course, he missed the shot, so it wouldn't have mattered much, but here's my question:

Why weren't the OK defenders all standing in the back court or in the front court along the half-court line?  At most, the five OK players should have been standing flat-footed at the 3-point line with their arms straight up and not moving at all.  In other words, why were they doing things that could have resulted in a foul being called if Harden had made the shot?

I just watched the replay, and it was a bad strategy by OKC, IMO. Because Harden missed and was not fouled, people aren't really talking about it (people usually don't worry about the process if the result was good, even if the process was bad). So I think your observation is totally legitimate, and Dort (the OKC player who jumped at Harden) probably got chewed out a bit once he went back to the locker room. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #421 on: September 01, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
I have a question, and keep in mind that I am not really a fan of the NBA.

Last night, my kid was watching the Houston v. Oklahoma City game.  At the very end, the OK player sunk 2 free throws to give OK a 4 point lead with 3.x seconds left.  At that point, even I knew that the ball was going to James Harden and that he would shoot a 3-pointer and attempt to get fouled in the process.  The OK defender was playing very closed, and I was more than a little surprised that a foul didn't get called.  Of course, he missed the shot, so it wouldn't have mattered much, but here's my question:

Why weren't the OK defenders all standing in the back court or in the front court along the half-court line?  At most, the five OK players should have been standing flat-footed at the 3-point line with their arms straight up and not moving at all.  In other words, why were they doing things that could have resulted in a foul being called if Harden had made the shot?

I just watched the replay, and it was a bad strategy by OKC, IMO. Because Harden missed and was not fouled, people aren't really talking about it (people usually don't worry about the process if the result was good, even if the process was bad). So I think your observation is totally legitimate, and Dort (the OKC player who jumped at Harden) probably got chewed out a bit once he went back to the locker room. :lol

Thanks.

I seem to remember something like this happening a few years back where the defender played aggressive defense and the offensive player hit a 3-pointer and the free throw to tie or win the game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: September 01, 2020, 06:12:52 PM »
Hot Damn!! What a win for the C's!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #423 on: September 01, 2020, 09:00:23 PM »
That Nuggets Jazz game was awesome! What a crazy final 20 seconds!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #424 on: September 01, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
Hot Damn!! What a win for the C's!!

Yeah, that was a tight one. Smart and Walker being invisible for 3 quarters, then lighting it up in the 4th saved the day. Raps shooting bricks from 3 again.  :facepalm:

The Raps need to bring their “A” game pronto.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2020, 08:20:14 PM »
Bucks are done.

Coach Bud can’t adjust worth a shit in the playoffs.

Two wasted years of the best Bucks team since Kareem was in town.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2020, 08:34:32 PM »
Those were two awful fouls calls at the end of the game. At least they cancelled each other out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: September 03, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
Another 10 round battle between Toronto and Boston tonight.   95/95 with 4 minutes to go. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
Holy crap!  What a hell of a win for the Raptors.   I thought we had it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #429 on: September 03, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »

Amazing finish.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 03, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »

So did the rest of the world. Jingle.son walked away after the games leading bucket by Thies. I stayed, and lost my shit!!  apparently, Some twitter handles had already announced the 103-101 loss.

Raptors again played like as for most of the game, but managed a W. they HAVE to get their shit together or it will be meaningless.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: September 03, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
I thought it was funny when Lowry fouled Wannamaker with his testicle. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 03, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
I thought it was funny when Lowry fouled Wannamaker with his testicle. :lol

That was a terrible replay non-call.  So was the flagrant earlier on Thies. Suspect officiating on those two replay challenges.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #433 on: September 04, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
Bucks start the 4th up 12......lose by 15.

I can’t even.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »
Bucks start the 4th up 12......lose by 15.

I can’t even.

That was an unbelievable quarter by both teams.  40-13 :omg:.  Jimmy Buckets alone had more points than the Bucks.  He is proving to be a legit superstar.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
Bucks win but most likely lose Giannis for what could be many games.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
I'm not sure I've seen a more pathetic attempt to play ball than the Raptors put forth.  11 points in the 1st!?  35 for the half, while giving up 37 in 2Q??  This is what happens when you run a 7-player rotation.  They're mentally and physically gassed.  And now Ibaka's status is unknown.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #437 on: September 08, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen a more pathetic attempt to play ball than the Raptors put forth.  11 points in the 1st!?  35 for the half, while giving up 37 in 2Q??  This is what happens when you run a 7-player rotation.  They're mentally and physically gassed.  And now Ibaka's status is unknown.

I ultimately think that the Raptors are more of a regular season team than a playoff team at this point. And there's no shame in that. But they definitely have that feel of "They will win 50+ games every year because they have good players and a great coach, but in the playoffs, they don't quite have the horses." I'm not saying they can't win this series, but I don't know how much they have left in the tank.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: September 08, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »

I ultimately think that the Raptors are more of a regular season team than a playoff team at this point. And there's no shame in that. But they definitely have that feel of "They will win 50+ games every year because they have good players and a great coach, but in the playoffs, they don't quite have the horses." I'm not saying they can't win this series, but I don't know how much they have left in the tank.

You could be right, but I still feel the limited bench use is what's killing them.  I mean, last year they looked like they were squeaking by on just an 8-man rotation.  Nurse is playing the same guys, without Kawhi.  How he expects to get the same outcome is baffling.  Their strength in the regular season was their bench depth.  Now, he's not playing any of those players.  FFS, the bench got 100 points in Game 4 vs the Nets.  ok, ok... it was the Nets, but they still made the plays and shots.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #439 on: September 08, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »
My Bucks are done. Team Just wasn’t the same when the season restarted. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to shake up the roster a bit after this.

I will now root for Denver for I care not for any of the other teams still playing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2020, 04:58:05 AM »
My Bucks are done. Team Just wasn’t the same when the season restarted. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to shake up the roster a bit after this.

Pretty sure the Raps are going to join them tonight.  They've been manhandled by the Celtics, and just haven't adapted at all - which is very odd for Nurse's coaching ability.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »

I will now root for Denver for I care not for any of the other teams still playing.

I feel bad for you guys. You ran into the worst combination of bad luck as a fan base - Giannis injury, bad matchup, and cheap ownership (not resigning MB).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »

I feel bad for you guys. You ran into the worst combination of bad luck as a fan base - Giannis injury, bad matchup, and cheap ownership (not resigning MB).

Brogdon didn’t want to be in Milwaukee.  There were underlying issues outside of basketball that contributed to this decision. Add In his injury history, the Bucks made the right decision in letting him go, especially for the contract he currently has.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:51 AM »

Pretty sure the Raps are going to join them tonight.  They've been manhandled by the Celtics, and just haven't adapted at all - which is very odd for Nurse's coaching ability.

What's going on with Ibaka tonight?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

What's going on with Ibaka tonight?

Sumthin with his ankle.  I didn't watch the last 1.5 quarters of the game, so I don't know if it happened in-game, or outside of it.  Apparently he was seen in a 'boot' yesterday.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
HEAT BEAT THE BUCKS!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!  :metal :metal :metal 

Lakers/Clippers WCF would be interesting. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #446 on: September 09, 2020, 11:53:00 AM »
The way they are playing right now, I think a Celts/Heat ECF is going to be more interesting than a Bucks/Raptors would have been anyway.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
Double OT for C's/Raptors.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »
The refs have sucked big time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2020, 07:32:16 PM »
Yeah, terrible playoff officiating. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: September 09, 2020, 07:38:26 PM »
This game is sick!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
Holy shit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
Lowry is a beast!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: September 09, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »
With 5 fouls for a long time!  Game 7.  Chad not looking at his phone. Lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2020, 06:00:03 AM »
With 5 fouls for a long time!  Game 7.  Chad not looking at his phone. Lol.

No, I was not - was watching on about a 10-minute delay, so I didn't want to be spoiled. 

Agree that the refereeing sucked - missed an elbow that cut Lowry, but then the flagrant foul on Tatum (I think) later was complete horse-shit.  Then there was another point where they called 4 fouls in the span of about 5 seconds. 

Lowry... yeah, he took 4Q and OT to another level, as did Powell - the former making some INCREDIBLY ballsy steals while holding 5 fouls.

This game is sick!

Best game of the series so far.  Thank god the Raps 3-pt shooting came alive, because at one point they were -15 in the differential (points).  Both teams ended up making 19 three's, on virtually the same shooting %.  Raps could've had it put away if not for their FT misses though - 3 that were late in Q4.

I hope Friday's is gonna be just as amazing - with the same outcome  ;)