Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48545 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 - V. MJ still bitter about Bad Boys beatdowns
« Reply #385 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
I’ve never seen a sports thread this dead during the playoffs.

This is the most fun I’ve had watching the playoffs in a long time. I will restate what I said the other day. There’s been one or two phantom calls, but for the most part I feel like they really are just letting them play. Lots of no calls that I agree with on both sides of the ball.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »
And I’m not advocating for the permanent loss of the crowd, but I definitely feel like not having the crowd makes it a better game on the court. It’s always neutral ground, and the officiating has no outside pressure.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »

It's just such a different vibe watching in an empty gymnasium.  Same with the NHL.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »

It's just such a different vibe watching in an empty gymnasium.  Same with the NHL.

It is different, but I really like it.

EDIT - and I might add, at least the NHL thread is active. People are commenting on the games. I don’t see any of that here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:06 PM »
Well, the first round doesn't typically doesn't produce competitive games.  Plus, with so many of them in the afternoon - I missed both Raptors games already.  And Game 3 tomorrow is a 1pm start.   >:(
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online T-ski

« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »
I feel better about things.....for now.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »
I feel better about things.....for now.

That game 1 was an anomaly. He Bucka will roll over the Magic for the next 3 games.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
C's looked dominant.  It's Toronto and Bucks when we see if they can hang. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
C's looked dominant.  It's Toronto and Bucks when we see if they can hang.

That's cute that you think the Cs might be playing the Bucks.   :biggrin:

This first round in the East is going to be meaningless.  Just warmup for the Heat/Bucks and Raps/Cs in round 2.  76rs losing Simmons was a death blow.  The West seems to be a little more competitive.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
I'm just saying those are the 2 teams I worry about in the east.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
Holy fuck the Raptors bitch-slapped the Nets.  Granted, it's the Nets, but 100 point from the bench!?!?!  Hopefully Lowry's injury isn't serious... though, I do think FVV can carry the team, and their depth is off the charts.  This ought to be a fantastic series.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2020, 08:22:15 AM »
GO MAVERICKS!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
Luka is a generational talent. The league is in great hands with him as their big young star. I can't wait to see what comes next!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
You know, after winning game one, I honestly believed that the Blazers would make a better series of it. But spotting them 15 before scoring your first bucket, and then giving up 80 in the first half is just embarrassing.

We may or may not have what it takes to go toe to toe with the Lakers, but we are certainly a better team than this.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »
Yea that Raps sweep was no surprise, but the Nets will get KD and KI next season!

Heat sweep Indy!  I'm scared of the Bucks though.

Hornets hint at getting a new look next season, maybe more pinstripes.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2020, 04:57:40 AM »
The Nets have a bright future, that’s for sure.

My hope is Lowry comes back for game 3.

Online T-ski

« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
Bucks not taking the court in protest of the shooting in Kenosha, WI.

Update: Bucks forfeit game in protest.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »
Bucks not taking the court in protest of the shooting in Kenosha, WI.

Update: Bucks forfeit game in protest.

Strong chance both Cs and Raps are going to as well.

I commend them... the issue is bigger than basketball; bigger than pro sports.  And being the team based in WI, hopefully that organization can pressure some lawmakers to doing something.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »
A few athletes not playing their sportsball game won't pressure anyone in to doing anything. City hall responds to one thing. Dollars. Just like the rest of us.

If social activism is their new bag and they quit their professional careers to do that, I'd admire them more than boycotting a game and wearing a slogan on their uniform. Cancel the season, cancel the Association. Life will go on fine without it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
I most certainly think that the NBA, ESPN/TNT, and all of the sports' sponsors have the clout to make something happen.  I commend the players for this... all the lip service in interviews, jersey lettering, floor space, and banners hanging in the gymnasium clearly isn't doing enough.  Adam Silver and the NBA were the tipping point for the WORLD to start taking drastic actions against the spread of COVID.  Maybe they can be the same for BLM.

Online T-ski

« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
A few athletes not playing their sportsball game won't pressure anyone in to doing anything. City hall responds to one thing. Dollars. Just like the rest of us.

If social activism is their new bag and they quit their professional careers to do that, I'd admire them more than boycotting a game and wearing a slogan on their uniform. Cancel the season, cancel the Association. Life will go on fine without it.

Problem is, life isn’t fine for a lot of people as it stands today.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2020, 02:57:01 PM »
I most certainly think that the NBA, ESPN/TNT, and all of the sports' sponsors have the clout to make something happen.  I commend the players for this... all the lip service in interviews, jersey lettering, floor space, and banners hanging in the gymnasium clearly isn't doing enough.  Adam Silver and the NBA were the tipping point for the WORLD to start taking drastic actions against the spread of COVID.  Maybe they can be the same for BLM.

I don't know......TV viewership is down 40% for the NBA's bubble. I totally get the need to make something happen but to not show up for a game and just forfeit can't be a 'good' thing for the NBA. They've taken a stance as a whole and as a whole that stance has hurt them financially. Money is what it's all about in pro sports and it won't take the owners and league long to change their tune if they're consistently losing money.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »

I don't know......TV viewership is down 40% for the NBA's bubble. I totally get the need to make something happen but to not show up for a game and just forfeit can't be a 'good' thing for the NBA. They've taken a stance as a whole and as a whole that stance has hurt them financially. Money is what it's all about in pro sports and it won't take the owners and league long to change their tune if they're consistently losing money.

If they continue to do this. I see many viewers dropping out and tuning out of NBA completely, if they already aren't.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2020, 03:43:34 PM »
Again... maybe this is just the start of something bigger.  I mean, what are the players supposed to do?  Just shrug their shoulders and play on?  They've chosen this hill to die on, and they seem committed to it.  Again, I commend their effort to be 'all-in', and their support for the cause to be more than just lip service, jersey letters, and banners.

Good for them.

Guess I'm the only one that sees it that way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
Again... maybe this is just the start of something bigger.  I mean, what are the players supposed to do?  Just shrug their shoulders and play on?  They've chosen this hill to die on, and they seem committed to it.  Again, I commend their effort to be 'all-in', and their support for the cause to be more than just lip service, jersey letters, and banners.

Good for them.

Guess I'm the only one that sees it that way.

No, you're not. You have to respect it.

I think this year is already a write off. No owner or league will change their tune anytime soon. They have no choice but to support the players right now.

Do you really attribute their "stance" to their ratings? Is that what people are citing as the reason?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: August 27, 2020, 05:14:08 AM »

Well, the NBA, MLB, NFL are all big revenue generators. If all the leagues take a stance, which seems to be the case, then lawmakers will start doing something. Businesses and sponsors will start putting pressure on them, not to mention that if these leagues don't make money states lose lots of tax income. So yeah, I'm pretty sure cancelling games will have an effect.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2020, 06:15:13 AM »

If they continue to do this. I see many viewers dropping out and tuning out of NBA completely, if they already aren't.

I quit watching the NBA years ago because of the attitude of players and the lack of team in a team sport. This, right here, will actually start making me watch and support the NBA again. But, then I'm just one person.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: August 27, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »

Well, the NBA, MLB, NFL are all big revenue generators. If all the leagues take a stance, which seems to be the case, then lawmakers will start doing something. Businesses and sponsors will start putting pressure on them, not to mention that if these leagues don't make money states lose lots of tax income. So yeah, I'm pretty sure cancelling games will have an effect.

Agreed.  The point is also that this move isn't to solve things by next Tuesday.  This will take years if not decade's worth of effort.  I think the NBA players are just trying to see if *this* can be the spark in the powder keg to start initiate real actions for real change.  It's not about what happens to the NBA ratings today, tomorrow, or for the rest of the playoffs.  It's about getting the league, and owners, and sponsors, and advertisers, and anyone/thing connected to the league to take more action.  As Fred VanVleet said "I know it's not that simple. But, at the end of the day if we're gonna sit here and talk about making change, then at some point we're gonna have to put our nuts on the line and actually put something up to lose, rather than just money or visibility."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #413 on: August 31, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »
Butler drops 40 as the Heat beat the Bucks!    :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2020, 05:33:20 AM »
These two east games are gonna be tight. I predict bob will go 7

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2020, 07:13:18 AM »
Love that we have two game 7s already - Utah v. Denver and now OKC v. Houston. The OKC game last night was brutal, but Chris Paul came up huge down the stretch. Utah and Denver. Man, the Spider-Murray show has been spectacular.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
Tonight will tell me how far the C's will go.  Even if they lose I expect a great game from Toronto tonight and I want the C's to respond to that playoff pressure.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2020, 07:55:49 AM »
Tonight will tell me how far the C's will go.  Even if they lose I expect a great game from Toronto tonight and I want the C's to respond to that playoff pressure.

The Raps will bounce back.  They difference in Game 1 was 3-point shooting.  Boston was 17/39 (44%); Toronto was 10/40 (25%).  Celtics are normally a 36% 3P shooting team; Raps 37%.  If they both shoot closer to their average, Cs lose up to 9 points, and the Raps gain as much as 15.  Much closer than the 112-94 final score would suggest.  Raps were getting good/open looks, so it's not like it was the D that was holding them to 25% 3P shooting - The Raps simply did not have confidence from beyond the arc, and that can/will change.

Online T-ski

« Reply #418 on: September 01, 2020, 08:07:16 AM »
The Bucks game looked just like the last 3 against the Raptors last playoff. Not happy to see them not learning from their past.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #419 on: September 01, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »
I have a question, and keep in mind that I am not really a fan of the NBA.

Last night, my kid was watching the Houston v. Oklahoma City game.  At the very end, the OK player sunk 2 free throws to give OK a 4 point lead with 3.x seconds left.  At that point, even I knew that the ball was going to James Harden and that he would shoot a 3-pointer and attempt to get fouled in the process.  The OK defender was playing very closed, and I was more than a little surprised that a foul didn't get called.  Of course, he missed the shot, so it wouldn't have mattered much, but here's my question:

Why weren't the OK defenders all standing in the back court or in the front court along the half-court line?  At most, the five OK players should have been standing flat-footed at the 3-point line with their arms straight up and not moving at all.  In other words, why were they doing things that could have resulted in a foul being called if Harden had made the shot?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung