Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48495 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 - V. MJ still bitter about Bad Boys beatdowns
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
I didn't watch a single second of The Last Dance, but I have heard a lot of chatter about it, and find it funny, but not surprising, that many others in the story, aside from Jordan, supposedly didn't come off well at times in it.  Jordan obviously made damn sure that he came off great (or as well as an a-hole who loved to bully anyone and everyone can come off), while making others look not so great.  I will say this: he obviously cares a lot about his legacy as the supposed GOAT.

I saw a video yesterday where someone asked Magic Johnson if Michael Jordan considers himself to be the GOAT (I guess people just assume that Magic has special insight into Jordan's mind). Johnson was like "No, he wouldn't say that." And my first thought was... Maybe he would never outright say it, but he did basically release a ten-part documentary to try and prove it to people. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2020, 07:16:53 AM »
“In my prime I could have handled Michael Jordan. Of course, he would be only 12 years old.” -- Jerry Sloan

RIP, Jerry. You giant, lovable, ass-hole. I'll miss you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2020, 10:29:05 AM »
I didn't watch a single second of The Last Dance, but I have heard a lot of chatter about it, and find it funny, but not surprising, that many others in the story, aside from Jordan, supposedly didn't come off well at times in it.  Jordan obviously made damn sure that he came off great (or as well as an a-hole who loved to bully anyone and everyone can come off), while making others look not so great.  I will say this: he obviously cares a lot about his legacy as the supposed GOAT.

I saw a video yesterday where someone asked Magic Johnson if Michael Jordan considers himself to be the GOAT (I guess people just assume that Magic has special insight into Jordan's mind). Johnson was like "No, he wouldn't say that." And my first thought was... Maybe he would never outright say it, but he did basically release a ten-part documentary to try and prove it to people. :lol

ESPN was behind the documentary. BUT...Jordan stipulate that he got to see and respond to everyone who participated comments. But he didn't come off smelling like peaches either. He did come off as a dick and a tough teammate to be around and honestly you can see from the video shown from back then the dude was an arrogant a$$hole. But just like my opinion when it comes to Tiger Woods and how big a dick he was when he was dominating. ....I don't really care. I enjoy watching those guys dominate and crush their opponents...and that's what they did.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »
“In my prime I could have handled Michael Jordan. Of course, he would be only 12 years old.” -- Jerry Sloan

Amen. I'm still bitter about the organization allowing Deron Williams to have his way.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »
TLD is definitely a mythmaking exercise but I'm fine wtih that.  Some of that stuff is funny really, like, you're trying to get us to buy that someone poisonned your pizza MJ? Come on now  :lol   But he gets to do it on his own terms and I respect that. It was incredibly well put together and entertaining.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »

Amen. I'm still bitter about the organization allowing Deron Williams to have his way.

:heart

Mrs. P still won't watch a Jazz game because of this very issue. I won't watch the NBA because of the 2011 lockout. I sold my season tickets and have never looked back.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #356 on: May 25, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »
What was the deal with Deron Williams?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2020, 05:42:17 AM »

What was his problem? Who knows, spoiled superstar, maybe? You'd have to ask him.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2020, 05:46:57 AM »

He clashed with Sloan (broken plays, freelancing on offense, etc.) and - alllegedly - forced the property to a "him or me" situation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:54 AM »

What was his problem? Who knows, spoiled superstar, maybe? You'd have to ask him.

I'm asking you because I don't know anything about the situation so I was just wondering what you were talking about.

Did they trade him. I'm not sure if I barely heard of him. Of course I wasn't paying attention to the NBA much at that point.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
NBA just about ready to get back to it.  All teams within 4 games of the 8th seed plus those already clinched to start July 31st in Orlando.  That’ll make 22 teams total.

Go Bucks!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »
Go Bulls! Go into the off-season and fire Boylen!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #362 on: July 13, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
NBA bubble has been in effect for less than a week and already two players have broken the no leave policy.  We aren’t going to have sports any time soon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #363 on: July 13, 2020, 05:52:19 PM »
Young men think they are invincible. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #364 on: July 13, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Didn't seem like either one was real malicious.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #365 on: July 13, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »

That’s the problem. They think it’ll be no big deal, when it could possibly turn into a huge deal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #366 on: July 13, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »

That’s the problem. They think it’ll be no big deal, when it could possibly turn into a huge deal.

I meant I got the feeling they weren't being dicks about it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2020, 06:02:07 PM »
The playoffs are about to start and no one‘s commented since July?

I’m liking the way my Blazers are looking right now. The Covid break just gave extra time for Nurkic to heal up and he looks fantastic. I think we are poised to surprise some people.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline T-ski

« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2020, 07:45:24 PM »
Bucks look like an average team down in the bubble. Hopefully they get it together against the Magic in the first round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »
Bucks look like an average team down in the bubble. Hopefully they get it together against the Magic in the first round.

The Bucks have nothing to worry about. They really had nothing to play for in the first set of games.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
I wasn’t expecting the Nets to go full throttle when they didn’t have anything to play for. And the Blazers looked nervous tonight. But we did manage to squeak it out. I think we will look better against the Grizzlies on Saturday

Offline jammindude

« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
What does everyone think of the new format? I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Baseball was trying to just do it with empty seats and then I heard rumors that they were selling cardboard cut outs so the peoples faces could be in the stands. The NBA took it one step further with this virtual fan thing where I guess fans can get their pictures up on the LED boards that are on the sidelines. That and the crowd noise at least just makes it seem not quite so empty.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
The Nets look good even without KD and Kyrie.  They're really building for the future.  The bubble format is fine for inside sports.  But baseball stadiums are more scenic and visual, so I'm glad they can do that. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2020, 05:20:45 AM »
The Nets look good even without KD and Kyrie.  They're really building for the future.  The bubble format is fine for inside sports.  But baseball stadiums are more scenic and visual, so I'm glad they can do that.

Too bad they drew the Raptors. Holy shit do they look solid. For a team that was predicted (even by me) at the beginning of the season - some even suggesting the might not make the playoffs - they sure look fucking dominant. Nurse has to be COTY.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
 I was talking with a really good friend this morning we were both commenting on how much we are enjoying the current format.  He compared it to when he and his buddies were kids and they just went and played at the gym. No parents, no scouts, no cheering crowds, and it just made you focus on the game. We are probably seeing the most pure basketball we’ve ever seen in the history of the NBA.

NO ONE has a “sixth man” for this playoff run. It’s only going to be about who plays better.  I’m going to have more fun watching these playoffs than I have in a very long time.  I hate to think that this almost made the game better, but in some ways I think it did.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #375 on: August 15, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »
The play in game is fantastic so far. Very physical play and the officials are not getting overly involved.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »
I wish more people would’ve been watching that game. That was one of the funnest games I’ve seen in a long time. Very old school physical. Hard fought game. Congratulations to the Blazers. I think we have a good chance against the Lakers.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #377 on: August 18, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »
NBA refs making sure the Clips get all the help they need by tossing Porzingis last night.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
I didn't see the first technical he got, but the second one looked to me like the right call from the refs based on the current state of the NBA. To me that should not warrant anything more than a call to chill out, but in recent times the NBA has been trying to get rid of all "violence".
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »

Down 0-1. This hasn’t been the same team since the restart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »

Down 0-1. This hasn’t been the same team since the restart

This is unbelievable.  How does a team that played so dominant, now look so ordinary?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: August 18, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
Their defense has disappeared. Also, Buddenholzer is once again showing that he's not great at coaching in the playoffs. He's the guy you hire to develop your team and once it's playoff ready you hire a guy that can manage an already established team
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #382 on: August 18, 2020, 07:25:43 PM »
Is it my imagination, or is the officiating better without the crowd?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #383 on: August 18, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »

It’s your imagination.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #384 on: August 18, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »

It’s your imagination.

After that phantom call on Nurkic, I tend to agree. But on the whole, I like that they seem to be letting them play. I see a lot of very good no calls in the several games that I’ve seen.