Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 - v. 2021 Finals: Milwaukee and Giannis rule the basketball world  (Read 48521 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2019-2020 - V. Luka on his way to world domination
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
The 2008-09 season was last time we have gone 15-2 after the first 17 games. Wow! Has it been that long already?  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
Embiid... zero points.

Raps D is pretty good.  They've done a great job shutting down superstars - Lebron, Leonard were both held to under 15 points in their games against the Raps.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
Steven A went nuclear on Embid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
Steven A went nuclear on Embid.

Stephen A. is an idiot, but so is Embiid, so they are tailor made for one another.

That said, Embiid can say whatever he wants, but if you're an NBA star and the focal point of the team, unless you leave injured, there's no way you should score ZERO points. That's ridiculous. How does that happen? That's not great defense (I am sure the defense WAS great, but hear me out), that's called lack of effort. Get in the paint and bang -- get to the line. Christ, it's like guys have absolutely forgotten how to be post players. And yes, I realize the game is different. But you have to get into the paint when the outside jumper isn't going.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
I agree... Being a Top-5 scorer in the league and held to ZERO is not solely about great D - but I'd say the biggest part is the D. The D is strong --> --> throws you off your (already 'off' game) --> play crap --> rinse and repeat.  He did have 11 assists I think, so it's not like he was completely useless.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
jingle -- there is no way that a 7 ft man with the skills of Embiid should be held to ZERO points. We could trot you and me out there, and we'd at least get fouled at some point.  :lol

Embiid did not have 11 assists. He had 13 rebounds and two assists. ZERO blocks, ZERO steals. He was completely disengaged, and there's no excuse for that. If I was a Sixers fan, I'd be irate. Without even watching the game, I can tell you that all he did was float on the perimeter, stick his hands up to get rebounds that went his way, and then just shot perimeter stuff (he was 0-4 from three-point land).

I'll admit, I dislike Embiid greatly. Not just the dustups with KAT either. Just the way Embiid carries himself. He's a big punk that needs a punch in the mouth. I really wish (but don't really - lol) KAT would have connected with that swing and knocked the big baby out. Maybe it would have taught him a lesson in humility.

ANYWAY, Wolves 9-8 and play the Spurs in San Antonio tonight. I have this down as a loss, but I hope they find a way to win. The Wolves have a four-game roadtrip coming up that they are probably going to go 1-3 on, so grabbing wins they aren't supposed to get is important. But if KAT and Wigs cancel out Aldridge and Derozen, then its about the supporting casts, and I think its honestly a toss up. We'll see. Looking forward to tonight.

Anyone here go check out G-League action? My fam and I have tickets to two Iowa Wolves G-League games. First one is this weekend. Cheap, lots of guys we've seen play last year (and this year) with the Wolves. Should be fun. We're right behind the Wolves bench. My wife (who is a big hoops fan - our fam is) is terrified I'm going to get us thrown out for coaching from the stands.  :rollin  She laughs because I call out the plays before the Wolves make them all the time, and I just keep telling her - once a ball coach, always a ball coach.  :lol  I gotta admit, I really miss it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
Losing to Memphis...without Morant...at home.  :facepalm:

My Wolves are 7-2 on the road, and 3-7 at home. With some UGLY losses. Played like total ass yesterday. smh.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
Raps rolling ... looking good against teams above .500 now too.  Completely dominated the Jazz yesterday - 40 point halftime lead!?!?!   :omg:  Sure, they got soft as shit in the 3rd, but it was pretty much a scrimmage in the 2nd half.

Heat, Rockets, 76rs are the next three... then the Clippers just after that.  Ought to be a challenging stretch.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

Heat, Rockets, 76rs are the next three... then the Clippers just after that.  Ought to be a challenging stretch.

:o

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
The Knicks just looked....unprepared last night. Wouldn't surprise me if Fizdale was fired today, and to be honest, the whole front office. I don't blame this on Dolan. I dislike Dolan as an owner immensely. But the Knicks just look awful with that roster. Absolutely awful. And it doesn't matter if it was the Bucks. The Knicks simply looked like a junior college team, and that's not acceptable. Wow.

On another note, the Pacers could be legit Eastern Conference contenders once Oladipo is back. That starting lineup (replacing Lamb with Oladipo) is legit. Brogdon was exactly what they needed, and Warren is finally showing he's the player many of us thought he was when he was drafted. Nice to see.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
If this was a "one of" then I would agree that Dolan should not be to blame. But this is not a "one of". This is how the Knicks have been for way too long. They had KP and he wanted no part of that franchise. They are not able to get a single good free agent because their culture is all wrong. All of that is Dolan's responsibility. Fizdale will probably take the axe even if he doesn't deserve it. This team is very poorly constructed and no coach would be able to make them play much better.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
The Knicks just looked....unprepared last night. Wouldn't surprise me if Fizdale was fired today, and to be honest, the whole front office. I don't blame this on Dolan. I dislike Dolan as an owner immensely. But the Knicks just look awful with that roster. Absolutely awful. And it doesn't matter if it was the Bucks. The Knicks simply looked like a junior college team, and that's not acceptable. Wow.

On another note, the Pacers could be legit Eastern Conference contenders once Oladipo is back. That starting lineup (replacing Lamb with Oladipo) is legit. Brogdon was exactly what they needed, and Warren is finally showing he's the player many of us thought he was when he was drafted. Nice to see.

Well, it was the 2nd of a B2B on the road in Milwaukee. That's a game they ain't winning. They played the Celts pretty tough the day before, but are just not good enough.
In fact, they have played the Celts pretty tough all three times this year.

Maybe a new coach would help. Hard to tell, but that team is not good enough. Instead of 4-17, maybe they're 6-15?

Oh, and I consider Oladipo the NBA's most underrated player. He changes games.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »

Don't bet on Brogdon's health, he missed a lot of late season games the last two years in Milwaukee and has missed a stretch already this season in Indiana.  I for one hope they barely sneak into the playoffs as the Bucks have their 1st round pick next year (lotto protected).
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
Wolves get the Mavs on the second night of a back to back in Dallas.

On paper, I'm thinking the Wolves should get this. If Covington/Okogie hold Luka to 20-8-8, and Towns shuts down Porzingis, I like Wiggins and the rest of the Wolves rotation over that of the Mavs. But we'll see. The Wolves were supposed to beat a Ja-less Memphis team in Minnesota and got their asses handed to them. lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28222229/rockets-hopeful-nba-acts-james-harden-dunk-not-counted

(excerpt)

The Rockets are hopeful the league office will either award the victory to Houston due to the Rockets outscoring the Spurs in regulation or order that the final 7 minutes, 50 seconds be replayed at a later date, sources said.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The Rockets continue to be the biggest crybaby organization in pro sports.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
 :lol

There is precedent. I forget the teams, but a few years back, (the Hawks and someone) were forced to replay the last few minutes of a game because of an inaccurate call. My guess is, this is what is going to happen with the Rockets-Spurs. They aren't going to just hand the ROckets the win.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
Dear lord... how many missed calls have there been in the history of sport - thousands.  And certainly any one of them could have or couldn't have affected the outcome.  Who's to say that counting that basket wouldn't have *cost* them the victory.  Every action/event changes every following action/event.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
I get where they are coming from since those 2 points could've made a difference but at the end of the day, they had a 14 point lead with what, 7 mins left? they lost that game.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Off night for Luka, who only had 22-7-6.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »
Off night for Luka, who only had 22-7-6.

Wolves should have won that game. They played stupid in the 4th, and let Brunson beat them, and before he was hurt, Powell. Really disappointed. Credit Okogie for disrupting Luka on the perimeter (I think he was 1-7 on threes). He was really active. Oh well, let one they could have won (which I had as an L on the schedule anyway) get away. Hopefully they take OKC in OKC on Friday. I have that one as a W.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
This is how the Knicks have been for way too long. They had KP and he wanted no part of that franchise. They are not able to get a single good free agent because their culture is all wrong. All of that is Dolan's responsibility. Fizdale will probably take the axe even if he doesn't deserve it. This team is very poorly constructed and no coach would be able to make them play much better.

You called it, he just got fired!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2019, 06:25:02 AM »
The Bucks may never lose again.

Check out Giannis the last 3 games...

25pts | 9reb | 4ast (19 min)
29pts | 15reb | 3ast (21 min)
35pts | 9reb (27 min)

While shooting 8/17 from 3 (47%)

47.8 points and 17.7 rebounds per 36.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »

35pts | 9reb (27 min)

T-Ski -- it really is incredible the kind of numbers he is putting up in such limited minutes. And his improved three-point shooting is going to be key. If defenses can't sag off of The Freak, then as long as the supporting cast does their job, I don't see Milwaukee having much of a problem getting through the East.

Since you follow the team, what's your sense on Giannis' loyalty to Milwaukee. Do you think he stays?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28222229/rockets-hopeful-nba-acts-james-harden-dunk-not-counted

(excerpt)

The Rockets are hopeful the league office will either award the victory to Houston due to the Rockets outscoring the Spurs in regulation or order that the final 7 minutes, 50 seconds be replayed at a later date, sources said.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

They got denied lol

In its ruling, the NBA agreed with the Rockets' contention that referees misapplied the rules. However, commissioner Adam Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error "during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »

35pts | 9reb (27 min)

T-Ski -- it really is incredible the kind of numbers he is putting up in such limited minutes. And his improved three-point shooting is going to be key. If defenses can't sag off of The Freak, then as long as the supporting cast does their job, I don't see Milwaukee having much of a problem getting through the East.

Since you follow the team, what's your sense on Giannis' loyalty to Milwaukee. Do you think he stays?

I think he'll stay.  There is a strong sense that he doesn't care for the glitz and glamour of the spotlight and really enjoys playing in the smaller market.  He lives and breathes basketball, its seems its the only thing he wants to do.  He's said as long as the Bucks continue to show they are willing to win, he will stay and I have yet to witness Giannis go back on his word about anything.

And of course there is this tweet from 2 years ago which obviously means he's staying.  ;) https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/883118398695239680

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
And as the countdown to Dec. 15 begins, so does the swell from the Wolves fandom about D'Angelo Russell.

It's not going to happen. But it COULD, and so, yeah.  ::)

I just feel like taking a megaphone to Twitter and saying "D'ANGELO RUSSELL IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR."

And even if he did, it's not like he's going to automatically turn the Wolves into a contender.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
Yup, this is the team the Raptors are - right in the middle of the pack. They will be fine against sub .500 teams, and struggle with plus-.500 teams.  They'll finish 5th or 6th in the east, with a 1st round exit.  Losers of 4/5, and the one victory was by one point over the Bulls.   :-\

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
Yup, this is the team the Raptors are - right in the middle of the pack. They will be fine against sub .500 teams, and struggle with plus-.500 teams.  They'll finish 5th or 6th in the east, with a 1st round exit.  Losers of 4/5, and the one victory was by one point over the Bulls.   :-\

Some guy from Toronto called NBA Radio this morning, and said the Raptors should trade for Wiggins. He suggested starting with Norman Powell (which lets be honest, if the guy knew what he was talking about, he'd know the Wolves are deep at the SG/SF position, so we wouldn't be interested. I tried to call in and throw this (below) out there, but I got to my office, so I hung up after being on wait.

I don't think Toronto and Minnesota really works. I could understand Toronto wanting to bring Wiggins home (particularly since he finally seems to have unlocked his game), but the Raptors really don't have anything we'd want, except salary cap relief. And that starts with Kyle Lowry.

Wiggins (signed through the 2022-2023 season, UFA after that season)

for

Lowry (signed through the 2020-2021 season, UFA after that season)

The Wolves need a PG for sure, but they want to get young, not old like Lowry. All the Lowry deal does is turn into a more palatable contract to trade next season. So the Raptors would have to be willing to sweeten the deal to take the Wolves' second best player. Multiple first round picks, or instead, also include VanVleet, which if I were the Raptors would be an absolute NO (because I think Siakam-Wiggins-VanVleet would be really good together). But unless the Raptors packaged something really good with Lowry, I don't think the Wolves would be interested. Rosas and Ujiri (sorry if I butchered the name) are both extremely smart personnel guys. Neither is going to acquiesce to something that hamstrings the teams, nor should they.

But if the Raps really wanted Wiggins, starting with Wiggins for Lowry and a first rounder, and looking from there...that might be something they'd consider. But the way Wiggins is playing, Toronto would need to be willing to pony up a lot more than just Lowry and the salary cap relief he'd bring.

I do think the Raptors, reluctantly, need to part with Lowry. And looking at Wiggins is a smart move. But the Wolves aren't going to be fleeced. Not any more.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
FVV and Siakim are the going to be the future cornerstones of the club - no way they are parting with either of them for anything less than an existing or (virtually guaranteed) a-list player.  Siakim still has some growing to do in order to be 'the' guy against top-tier defenses, but he's got that in his game.  FVV is the successor to Lowry.  I think Ujiri will ride this team out for what it is, as the contract expiries line up to free up his money for next and the subsequent season.  Maybe they keep Gasol or Ibaka on an inexpensive short-term deal (1-2 years for Gasol; 3 or 4 for Ibaka).  FVV is high priority re-signing.  Not exactly sure why Lowry was locked up for another year at $30M... perhaps to continue to mentor Fred?  Either way, they have options to be able to trade / sign some decent talent.  Perhaps the limp along next year, saving up for the 2021 bonanza?

You're right... Ujiri is not going to make a bad deal JUST for the feelz of getting a hometown guy on the roster.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
My understanding is that the Raptors are saving up for the summer of 2021. That's why they gave Lowry a one-year $30 million extension... Keep him around another year and thank him for his service, which gives you a nice PR boost, but then you can let him go in 2021 and bring someone else in. They're not going to radically improve the team this summer, so they may as well keep the gang around. Trading for Wiggins doesn't make sense since he messes up their cap room in 2021. Someone let me know if I'm wrong on any of those points, but I think that's the gist.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
TOX - that's what I figured too. You're not wrong.

Jingle - I agree, FVV and Siakim are the cornerstones. It would be ridiculous to trade them. I just laughed hard when some dude thought all it would take was Powell and some parts to get Wiggins, who is having an All Star year, and finally showing why he was chosen #1. I wouldn't blame the Raps for interest in him, but it just doesn't make sense for the Wolves to part with him, unless they get major value in return.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
I'm with you on all that.  Powell is a pretty good depth player, and show the odd flash of brilliance, but he's a 6th man at best.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »
Bucks 18 game win streak comes to an end against the Luka-less Mavs. Big game against the Lakers on Thursday.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
Giannis puts down 5 three pointers and Bucks controlled the whole game. 

Lakers don’t have anything outside of LeBron and AD.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2019, 05:11:57 AM »
Siakim (groin/indefinitely), Powell (separated shoulder/indefinitely); VanVleet (knee/day-to-day); Gasol (hamstring/indefinitely) are all out.  FVV should be back within days, but the other three are weeks/months. 

Time for the G-League team to show if they're ready for the show.