Author Topic: HELLO FELLOW DT FANS!!! (Introducing myself)  (Read 3453 times)

Offline emtee

Re: HELLO FELLOW DT FANS!!! (Introducing myself)
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
Welcome.

Interested, since you are a long time fan, as most here are, where the new album ranks, without giving anything away of course.

Production wise it's easily their best ever IMO, musically I need more time to digest it, but as of now I would say it truly scopes the best moments in their career IMO of course. I'll say this, I wish ADTOE was done by Sneap as that's my personal fave next to I&W.

Amen to that! The songs are amazing. The production, on the physical CD, is a huge let down.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
How many Dream Theater fans does it take to screw in a light bulb? Two. One to screw it in, and the other to flip the switch from light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.

Ok, bye.

I thought it was three...one to screw it in, and two to argue whether it was better or not in the Portnoy era.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 06:18:39 AM »
How many Dream Theater fans does it take to screw in a light bulb? Two. One to screw it in, and the other to flip the switch from light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.

Ok, bye.

I thought it was three...one to screw it in, and two to argue whether it was better or not in the Portnoy era.

:tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 06:34:14 AM »
Anyone know what the square root of Octavarium is?

I dunno, but it's probably solvable within 6 degrees of Kevin Moore.

Or 5/8.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2021, 09:05:50 PM »
2) Falling Into Infinity: The label wanted a more commercial album (Did they really need Desmond Child to help write?) and the band did say they planned on the album being far more progressive (I wonder what would have been if they did what they wanted).

How united were they on this front? My DT history knowledge isn't as solid as many others here, but I thought there was some disagreement on the direction the album should take within the group, regardless of what the label wanted. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »
2) Falling Into Infinity: The label wanted a more commercial album (Did they really need Desmond Child to help write?) and the band did say they planned on the album being far more progressive (I wonder what would have been if they did what they wanted).

How united were they on this front? My DT history knowledge isn't as solid as many others here, but I thought there was some disagreement on the direction the album should take within the group, regardless of what the label wanted.

I heard conflicting stories. Once JP said the label dictated the writing and then I read an interview where her says the opposite. I do not believe the latter. Desmond Child writing a song says it all to me. Bottom line, I do like it even though there are a few too many ballads.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2021, 04:52:39 AM »

I heard conflicting stories. Once JP said the label dictated the writing and then I read an interview where her says the opposite. I do not believe the latter. Desmond Child writing a song says it all to me. Bottom line, I do like it even though there are a few too many ballads.

I don't understand what "Desmond Child" has to do with it.   The guy is a well-regarded song-writer, and I've read interviews with John that if nothing else, he wanted to expand his song-writing craft.   Just because "Desmond Child" is involved, doesn't make it "need" or "bad".  These are Berkeley guys; they are clearly not content with resting on their (knowledge) laurels.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »

I don't understand what "Desmond Child" has to do with it.   The guy is a well-regarded song-writer, and I've read interviews with John that if nothing else, he wanted to expand his song-writing craft.   Just because "Desmond Child" is involved, doesn't make it "need" or "bad".  These are Berkeley guys; they are clearly not content with resting on their (knowledge) laurels.

I never meant it was bad. Just not necessary.