Poll

Would you buy it?

Yes
No

Author Topic: If you could afford an electric car that suited your standards....  (Read 3272 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I'm just interested to hear what people think. I'm pretty sure I would get one.

I'll add a follow up question: What factors play in hand for you too consider buying an electric car?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:03:21 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

Re: If you could afford an electric car that suited your standards....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:38:36 AM »
I'm days away (hopefully) to receive an hybrid car. So I'm gonna go with "no" I guess and accept the hybrid car as a compromise.

I would consider an electric car, but there has to be a widespread, nationwide network of charging posts. No way I'm gonna get a car that gives me headaches to plan trips because I don't know if I can charge it where I'd go.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:01:36 AM »
I'm days away (hopefully) to receive an hybrid car. So I'm gonna go with "no" I guess and accept the hybrid car as a compromise.

I would consider an electric car, but there has to be a widespread, nationwide network of charging posts. No way I'm gonna get a car that gives me headaches to plan trips because I don't know if I can charge it where I'd go.
Yea that's a big thing for me too.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 03:57:24 AM »
For my daily commute (70 km) I can imagine buying an electric car, if I could afford one. Sadly the last time I needed a new car the prices for new electric cars were much too high for my budget and used cars were virtually non-existent.

For any longer trips like working trips, holidays, visiting relatives in other cities etc. there's this to consider:

... there has to be a widespread, nationwide network of charging posts. No way I'm gonna get a car that gives me headaches to plan trips because I don't know if I can charge it where I'd go.

And not only the availability of charging posts is important, maybe even more so the duration for charging your car.  If I run low on gas it takes maybe five minutes to fill it up. If I run low on electricity it takes from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the charging post.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:13:30 AM »

Just carry a diesel generator in the trunk!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:26:56 AM »

[/quote]
Just carry a diesel generator in the trunk!
[/quote]

Coal Powered Turbine... apparently, coal is clean. :laugh:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:58:58 AM »
Using the Tesla Model 3 as my frame of reference, I'll separate it into dealbreakers and makers

Dealmakers:

1. Performance (Incredible)
2. Range (310 miles) same as my car
3. Recharge time - 15 mins at a super charge station for 180 miles is impressive and workable.

Dealbreakers:

1. Price ($35,000)-      My current car is a Toyota corolla. It was 10 years old when I bought it with 50,000 miles and it was $9,000. So an
                                  electric car with (equivalent engine wear/age) would have to come in at around 10 grand for me to bite.

2. Recharging stations- Its getting better, but I would want to see them as ubiquitous as gas stations

3. I have no need for a new car. My work commute is 4 miles on back roads. I barley put 3000 miles on my car a year and rarely even need to
    fill the tank. Ultimately, my car is paid off. I need nothing else. But that being said, if I did need a new car and there was a $10,000 dollar
    electric car, then I would strongly consider it.

*** On a side note, I am looking to test ride some electric motorycles, such as the Harley Livewire and the Zero brand motorcycles.

Again, the price issue pop up. $30,000 grand for the electric Harley is bullshit and the 90 miles range is not what I need. The Zeros are better at 20 grand which is an easier pill to swallow, but not one I plan to anytime soon. I like them a lot. The power is mental, but its probably gonna be another 10 years for the technology to come down in price to where I'll buy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:06:12 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:13:13 AM »
I'm voting yes. If I had the chance I would buy one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my country doesn't have them and won't have them in the foreseeable future either.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:14 AM »
Probably not. But I never gave it much thought. Bought my current car in 2017 and didn't once consider an electric/hybrid, but that was largely due to cost. Take that out of the equation maybe I'd think differently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 05:48:30 AM »
Using the Tesla Model 3 as my frame of reference, I'll separate it into dealbreakers and makers

Dealmakers:

3. Recharge time - 15 mins at a super charge station for 180 miles is impressive and workable.

Dealbreakers:

1. Price ($35,000)-      My current car is a Toyota corolla. It was 10 years old when I bought it with 50,000 miles and it was $9,000. So an
                                  electric car with (equivalent engine wear/age) would have to come in at around 10 grand for me to bite.

2. Recharging stations- Its getting better, but I would want to see them as ubiquitous as gas stations

3. I have no need for a new car. My work commute is 4 miles on back roads. I barley put 3000 miles on my car a year and rarely even need to
    fill the tank. Ultimately, my car is paid off. I need nothing else. But that being said, if I did need a new car and there was a $10,000 dollar

*** On a side note, I am looking to test ride some electric motorycles, such as the Harley Livewire and the Zero brand motorcycles.

Again, the price issue pop up. $30,000 grand for the electric Harley is bullshit and the 90 miles range is not what I need. The Zeros are better at 20 grand which is an easier pill to swallow, but not one I plan to anytime soon. I like them a lot. The power is mental, but its probably gonna be another 10 years for the technology to come down in price to where I'll buy.
Yea if there's one car I would be interested in, it's a Tesla 3 but even though that's aimed at the general consumer it's still a hefty price and in Sweden the base model is at $56000.  :-\

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »
Absolutely. Trying to save for one now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »

I'll add a follow up question: What factors play in hand for you too consider buying an electric car?

Yeah, I absolutely would.  The only real obstacles right now are price and the technology getting up to par.  The technology isn't too much of an issue, because it is getting there in terms of range, ubiquitousness of charging stations, and battery longevity.  It's just that it isn't economically feasible right now.  They just cost too much.  I guess a related secondary factor is the used car market.  There aren't many used electrics out there right now, which is huge.  I can't even remember the last time I bought a new car, and I don't foresee doing it anytime soon because it just doesn't make economic sense to do so given depreciation.  So I guess the bottom line is, once there is enough of a secondary market of used electrics out there at reasonable prices, I don't see how I won't own one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 08:06:13 AM »

Yeah, I absolutely would.  The only real obstacles right now are price and the technology getting up to par.  The technology isn't too much of an issue, because it is getting there in terms of range, ubiquitousness of charging stations, and battery longevity.  It's just that it isn't economically feasible right now.  They just cost too much.  I guess a related secondary factor is the used car market.  There aren't many used electrics out there right now, which is huge.  I can't even remember the last time I bought a new car, and I don't foresee doing it anytime soon because it just doesn't make economic sense to do so given depreciation.  So I guess the bottom line is, once there is enough of a secondary market of used electrics out there at reasonable prices, I don't see how I won't own one.
Your second point is where I'm at. I won't buy a new car, and to be honest, I don't have much confidence in a used electric.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
a car is a tool to get from point A to point B so I don't care if it runs on the blood of small children if it gets me somewhere
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »
a car is a tool to get from point A to point B so I don't care if it runs on the blood of small children if it gets me somewhere

You can get the Bathory model, if you can find enough virgins to procure the needed blood to run it  ;D

Anyway, as I said, I'm getting an hybrid car, that looks like the immediate future for now. Anyone wanting to be environment conscious with their next car should consider an hybrid model, I don't know how it's doing in the other parts of the world but Toyota seems to be the leading brand when it comes to hybrid cars. I had a drive test for mine and it was so smooth to drive (authomatic gear change).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »
Since the question states "that suited your standards..." I took that to mean that things like

there has to be a widespread, nationwide network of charging posts

would be available to suite my standards.  Fast charging, afforadability.  I mean, I have no attachment to gas cars.  I just got a preowned one last year so I'm not in the market, but under these standards I don't see any reason not to buy an electric car.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
I'm going to try to return to this thread tomorrow with some more comments and replies, but I will say for now I'm a solid yes as I'm a Model 3 owner.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
Since the question states "that suited your standards..." I took that to mean that things like

there has to be a widespread, nationwide network of charging posts

would be available to suite my standards.  Fast charging, afforadability.  I mean, I have no attachment to gas cars.  I just got a preowned one last year so I'm not in the market, but under these standards I don't see any reason not to buy an electric car.

This.  They don't seem to be anywhere near meeting those standards yet, but when they get there, and I needed a new car, I'd do it.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »

Dealmakers:

Dealbreakers:

Yea if there's one car I would be interested in, it's a Tesla 3 but even though that's aimed at the general consumer it's still a hefty price and in Sweden the base model is at $56000.  :-\

I'll say a big yes as the Tesla will likely be my next purchase (4-5 years down the line).  $35,000 honestly isn't the real price... go to Tesla's site and actually price one... that $35K is reflecting your projected savings over the first few years (5 or 6 I think).  It's more like $40K for the base single motor and the tax credit has been cut in half now.  But hey, I paid a little over $47K for my 4Runner so the price-to-performance (my goodness the performance) is well worth it in my opinion.

Evening in my neck of Southwest VA we have Charging stations (actual Tesla stations; including one super-charger); I'm in Abingdon VA and there's a destination station in town (Martha Washington Inn), a Super Charger in Bristol VA 15-miles away, and another Charger in Wytheville VA about 50-miles away.  Makes sense for me with the chargers around and I'd likely try it without buying the Tesla brick for the home (maybe when we build).

My business partner has a long-range dual motor Model 3 and the thing is a BEAST... 0-60 in 4.4 seconds (until you've experienced that pickup in an electric, those are just words; threw my head back in the headrest) and curving like a true sports car.  Not to mention all the tech that comes with it (yes the autonomous driving is legit and with the most recent update it will give you curb-side pickup).  Gas savings are real for sure as Nick can attest to... all in all when compared to other new autos, it's worth it if your driving range is covered in my opinion.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »
My first reaction was to say yes but then I rethought the question and I think it should be no for me.

I do not own a car since about 3 or 4 years.
Got rid of the old one because:

- we did not use a car very often
- commuting for work / school is with bicycle (or subway)
- very good communications around where I live (subway, bus, tram, commutertrain and train... even got an airport within biking distance)
- close to car rental when needed

That we got rid of the car was mostly for environmental reasons but I find it nice to not have to worry about what the car will cost in service and repair.

The money we save by not having a car can buy a lot of car rentals and / or taxi rides.

So no I think I would rent one instead....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »

Non-Tesla networks have a way to go, but there is NO reason for any reservations on this front with a Tesla, assuming you have some way to charge at home or work. One thing a lot of people seem to fail to grasp is that 95% of charging is going to take place at one of those two places, and Tesla has plenty of superchargers so that you can go anywhere in America on the occasional road trip.

For my daily commute (70 km) I can imagine buying an electric car, if I could afford one. Sadly the last time I needed a new car the prices for new electric cars were much too high for my budget and used cars were virtually non-existent.

Electric cars are getting cheaper than ever, but that said even for a maker that still has a full tax credit (just going off US experience), and even factoring in gas/maintenance savings they still can't compete directly with the cheapest cars and crossovers out there. That said if you're budget allows for mid-size or above 5 year cost to own is going to be very similar, and that's when financially it's hard to say no to them if you test drive them.

Dealbreakers:

As for #2, I will say again that as long as you're buying a Tesla it's a non-factor.

As for #1 and #3, those are related. You absolutely have to factor in your driving habits in a decision on an electric car in their current form. Their cost to own comes down a huge amount compared to ICE cars the more you drive them. In my position the last three years I've put on over 20k miles a year, and that's going to go up with a recent promotion, so it makes the overall cost to own much better for me.

Your second point is where I'm at. I won't buy a new car, and to be honest, I don't have much confidence in a used electric.

I don't mean to be a total Tesla fanboy, as I'm a fan of the technology at large, but along with the supercharger network another huge Tesla advantage is their battery technology. The biggest strike against the biggest non-Tesla electric car, the Nissan Leaf, was how awful its battery degradation was. Tesla meanwhile has lots of old S and X vehicles with hundreds of thousands of miles and very little range loss. I'm not saying that many new cars coming out today won't be able to match that, but when it comes to the used market I'd only trust a Tesla, and they of course hold their value a lot better and are thus a lot more expensive.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 06:43:19 AM »
But you're kind of making my personal argument for me.  I don't want electric cars to be the transportation equivalent of "hey are you on PC or Mac?"  or "iPhone or Android?"   It shouldn't matter.  If I'm driving a Dodge, Volvo, BMW, VW, Toyota, Acura or Yugo, I take the EXACT SAME GAS NOZZLE and shove it in my fuel hole.   

It might be fine for a single person with one car to do these things, but I literally have between four and six cars in my driveway at any one time.   Do I REALLY need to have six different charging networks - and therefore six different charging stations - in my home/work?   Tha fuck if I'm going to do the "rooting through computer bag for appropriate charging cord before I plug my car in" nonsense.   

Do I have that wrong? 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
But you're kind of making my personal argument for me.  I don't want electric cars to be the transportation equivalent of "hey are you on PC or Mac?"  or "iPhone or Android?"   It shouldn't matter.  If I'm driving a Dodge, Volvo, BMW, VW, Toyota, Acura or Yugo, I take the EXACT SAME GAS NOZZLE and shove it in my fuel hole.   

It might be fine for a single person with one car to do these things, but I literally have between four and six cars in my driveway at any one time.   Do I REALLY need to have six different charging networks - and therefore six different charging stations - in my home/work?   Tha fuck if I'm going to do the "rooting through computer bag for appropriate charging cord before I plug my car in" nonsense.   

Do I have that wrong?
Just get a giant tesla coil to charge all your 6 future e-cars, problem solved!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »
As someone who spends upwards of $300 a month on fuel to get to and from work, I'd love an electric car.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 08:30:24 AM »
As someone who spends upwards of $300 a month on fuel to get to and from work, I'd love an electric car.

damn.  I spentd about 30 bucks a week for work commute on gas, throw another tank for the month for other use (30 bucks is about a tank for me in NJ) I'd put myself around $150 a month for gas.

Do I have that wrong? 

I don't know, do electric cars have a standard plug for the car?  I would hope so for not just home use but for public charging stations.  As for home, I'd imagine once this becomes normal, houses will be built with charge ports and you could probably get a unit for your house that has 6 dongles or whatever for all your vehicles.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
No.  I can afford one, but don't need or want one.  I live a half mile from work.  My 2015 Camaro ZL1 gets me from A to B just fine.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »

damn.  I spentd about 30 bucks a week for work commute on gas, throw another tank for the month for other use (30 bucks is about a tank for me in NJ) I'd put myself around $150 a month for gas.

Keep in mind that I work 7 days a week, so I'm commuting Saturdays and Sundays too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »

Do I have that wrong? 

Well you certainly have some valid points. The issue is gas is easy to get into a car, it's literally a hole and a hose if you break it down to its simplest, and not exactly much harder at its toughest. When electricity is delivered, especially when jumping to level 2 and VERY much so when going to level 3 and above it requires some very specialized equipment. Jumping off Tesla for a moment I will say with any electric vehicle you can get an adapter or three and basically be set to charge a non-Tesla at almost any non-Tesla station, but it'll be awhile before it's as simple as gas in that particular regard. The EU has been good about getting a standard going and they will almost certainly beat the US to the punch in having electric cars and charging on a universal format.

And just because I have to say it, get a Model 3 and you won't worry much about what other cars are there. :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: If you could afford an electric vehicle that suited your standards....
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »
I drove a fully electric vehicle for the first time in my life today. The harley Livewire

Loved the experience and I am totally sold on electric vehicles now. If the prices were lower, then I wouldn't mind switching tomorrow.

• DTF.org Member
Re: If you could afford an electric vehicle that suited your standards....
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
I drove a fully electric vehicle for the first time in my life today. The harley Livewire

Loved the experience and I am totally sold on electric vehicles now. If the prices were lower, then I wouldn't mind switching tomorrow.
Oh cool, never heard about that bike. Saw sometime ago someone reviewing a commuter bike, I think it was the Zero FXS. He said it was the best bike he ever used in city, it just floored anything.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
So was seriously considering a Tesla. Test drove yesterday. But then started asking people's opinions and a vast majority of people seem pretty adamant I don't but a Tesla. Now I'm kind of bummed out. The most popular reasons seem to be:

1. Elon is a dick. Don't support him.
2. Cars are unreliable and rushed to completion so probably won't last long.
3. Insurance expensive
4. There were a bunch of bugs in an update last fall that kept some people from using their cars until they were fixed

Any thoughts? Should I abandon the dream? No other electric car that I've seen is close to the Tesla, and wouldn't be worth it to get at all.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
So was seriously considering a Tesla. Test drove yesterday. But then started asking people's opinions and a vast majority of people seem pretty adamant I don't but a Tesla. Now I'm kind of bummed out. The most popular reasons seem to be:

1. Elon is a dick. Don't support him.
2. Cars are unreliable and rushed to completion so probably won't last long.
3. Insurance expensive
4. There were a bunch of bugs in an update last fall that kept some people from using their cars until they were fixed

Any thoughts? Should I abandon the dream? No other electric car that I've seen is close to the Tesla, and wouldn't be worth it to get at all.

1. wouldn't bother me in the least; who cares if he's a dick? And does that mean since T. Boone Pickens was a nice guy we should now use more gasoline? 

3. is what it is; even some gasoline powered cars are a bear to insure.  That can, in some cases, be shopped.

2. and 4. would be the big deal breakers for me, at least until we have a secondary network of experts and repair shops to supplement/replace the dealerships.   I think some here - El Barto comes to mind - that have what are deemed "expensive" cars have found that finding an off-dealer technician that knows their vehicles can provide better-than-dealer quality service at sometimes a fraction of the price.  And this doubly so after talking with my step-son and hearing his experiences as a technician at two major dealerships in the area (including BMW, who is pushing their electric/hybrid lines). 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
Right. And I can totally understand 2 and 4 being real concerns. It's just fascinating to me. Everyone I know that owns one, adores it. But then a vast majority of people that don't own them, think they are incredibly flawed and not worth it. Of course as with any car, only people who like them will buy them, but this case in particular seems so polarizing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
I'm not sure "incredibly flawed and not worth it" is really accurate though; I've come about my "strategy" for cars based on 35 years of experience.  I don't limit this to "electric cars", either.  It's rare, but there are developments with respect to combustion engines that fall into this category as well.   I just know at this point that I don't want to have to rely on a dealership for my vehicle, whatever that vehicle is.

I also drive a 2006 vehicle by choice (though my wife's car is a 2016). 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
That totally makes sense. And this has me wondering if it's just a difference in what we find value in, or if I'm legitimately doing something dumb by considering buying one. That's my biggest concern.

Also sorry for trying to take over this thread. lol Thought it had some good info in it already.