Author Topic: California Earthquakes  (Read 3491 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
California Earthquakes
« on: July 09, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »
So the TACs have a vacation coming up.

We are spending most of the trip in San Diego, but we are spending a few days at Disneyland. The Lovely Mrs TAC is very concerned about the recent earthquakes.

Guys, tell me something to make her feel better!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: California Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »

The earthquakes are very far away from where you will be.  Although it was felt as far south as L.A., it did not cause any major damage there that I am aware of (other than things falling off shelves in some stores, and that sort of thing).  You will be even farther south.  Personally, if I had a Disney/San Diego trip planned, I would not even think twice about it (other than road conditions between here and L.A., which you will not have to deal with).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:29:03 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »
My experience, from a lifetime here, is that the old girl just shot her wad and you all are pretty safe as there won't be anything of any significance for some time. As to a small one, it's always possible, and can be quite a fun experience, something to check off the old bucket list for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »
My experience, from a lifetime here, is that the old girl just shot her wad and you all are pretty safe as there won't be anything of any significance for some time. As to a small one, it's always possible, and can be quite a fun experience, something to check off the old bucket list for sure.

The first time I read that I thought...did he just call my wife "the old girl"? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:18 PM »

The first time I read that I thought...did he just call my wife "the old girl"? :lol

If she's shootin' wads then you have other things to worry about...

;D

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
I'm always rooting for a small quake whenever I'm out there. Nothing particularly dangerous, but enough to give me the real experience.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
I'm always rooting for a small quake whenever I'm out there. Nothing particularly dangerous, but enough to give me the real experience.

Yeah, anything between a 3 and 5 will surely get your attention without threatening your life, pending on your distance from the epicenter. I went through a 4.2 once, very small, but I was about a mile from the epicenter and it felt stronger than most of the 5s I've been through. Of course Loma Prieta was something else altogether, especially since I was on the BART train. Fuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkk.........

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
Oh, wow.  I was in my house in Union City at the time, and it felt huge.  I can't imagine being in a train for that.  Where were you on BART when it hit?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 10:55:12 PM »
Recall vividly the 2001 Nisqually Earthquake. Registered a 6.8. Was about 50(?) miles from epicenter. Packing for a trip and was maybe 30 minutes from calling a cab to get to the airport. Still ended up going as I didn't realize the damage was so bad. Walked in to the biggest clusterf*ck I've ever experienced (or maybe the second biggest, see below). Ticketing staff were getting on top of their counters shouting out "If you thought you were flying somewhere, forget it, go home. If you are here to meet someone, they ain't coming, go home."

I was quite the 24 hours for me and the rest of us who experienced Mardi Gras the previous night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Mardi_Gras_riot

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:52:15 AM »
My biggest one was Northridge in 94.  Thankfully I was miles away but we were out of power for two days, local college was closed for the first week of the semester. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 05:21:08 AM »
Oh, wow.  I was in my house in Union City at the time, and it felt huge.  I can't imagine being in a train for that.  Where were you on BART when it hit?

I was pulling into MacArthur station from the Berkeley direction.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 06:26:34 AM »

I experienced a very mild and puny earthquake some years ago... I'm not so sure I want to live through that ever again. The place where I live is not sysmic at all so even realizing that it was actually an earthquake was a weird experience. Thanks but no thanks for me!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »

I experienced a very mild and puny earthquake some years ago... I'm not so sure I want to live through that ever again. The place where I live is not sysmic at all so even realizing that it was actually an earthquake was a weird experience. Thanks but no thanks for me!
Yeah, Dallas has become seismically active (but don't ever suggest it's because of fracking!) so we've had some in the 3.5 range. We were all in or around the breakroom bullshitting when one happened and we had no idea what it was. We're a quarter mile from the threshold of 31L at Dallas Love and I immediately thought 737 down. I found it pretty cool, but it only lasted about 2 seconds tops, so there wasn't much time to take it in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
I will say that I was kinda hoping for some earth movements last summer while in San Francisco.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
I will say this about earthquakes, especially medium to significant ones, they will rapidly get your attention and strip away any sense of control or power you have in life. And as they go on, a unique type of panic sets in, one that you'll remember forever

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:50 AM »
I will say this about earthquakes, especially medium to significant ones, they will rapidly get your attention and strip away any sense of control or power you have in life. And as they go on, a unique type of panic sets in, one that you'll remember forever
I instinctively went from kicked back in an office chair to standing firmly planted in a tiny fraction of a second. Completely automatic and as instantaneous as a human body can move. That's actually the thing I found most fascinating about it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Tell Mrs. TAC to bring an extra swimsuit, because when CA cracks in half, my neck of the woods will be waterfront property!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »
My coworker in LA felt the two recent quakes well enough (but no issues).  You are fine, don't think about it because it's not an issue.

As for being in quakes, there was one here like 6 or 7 years ago which is super rare but I remember it very well, in fact, I remember running out of the building.  I don't remember so much shaking, but a sudden feeling of dizziness before realizing it's because the building was moving. And thats when I bolted.  I literally was like the first one out the door.  Funny cause I was telling a stranger this story last night as she (a californian) was making fun of me for being a wuss.  But f that, I wasn't about to die in that building even though it turned out to be totally fine and just kind of a cool experience. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 10:17:12 AM »
As others said, these quakes have been far enough that you'll probably not even notice one if there is another "larger" quake. These haven't been hitting on the San Andres fault, but a smaller fault to the east.

I would't worry a second about it.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
So the TACs have a vacation coming up.

We are spending most of the trip in San Diego, but we are spending a few days at Disneyland. The Lovely Mrs TAC is very concerned about the recent earthquakes.

I live about 10 miles WSW of Disneyland (as the crow flies) and about 100 miles south (again, as the crow flies) of the epicenters of last week's quakes.  A lot of folks in my area didn't feel the quakes Wednesday.  Most felt them on Thursday.  Both were gentle rollers, with the Thursday quake lasting a bit longer than the Friday quake.  I've felt nothing since then and, in my experience, that's a good sign that nothing else is likely to come of it (any more so than normal in SoCal).  We had some water slosh out of our pool on Friday but otherwise nothing was damaged or fell or anything.

If you feel like ditching your family for an hour or two, PM me and I'll come find you and buy you a beer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:12:23 PM »
My biggest customer is located in Southern Cal and several of my contacts all said this week that the earthquake was no big deal. I think they are so used to them that they deal with the shakes and then move on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »
My biggest customer is located in Southern Cal

Wow, the guy that buys the most bullshit lives in southern California? I did not know that. ;D

If you feel like ditching your family for an hour or two, PM me and I'll come find you and buy you a beer.

:tup

Thanks for the offer. Not sure ditching the family while on vacation is going to happen though. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
My biggest customer is located in Southern Cal

Wow, the guy that buys the most bullshit lives in southern California? I did not know that. ;D

Haha, not quite.  I move their freight for them all over the country, and their home base is in So Cal (Irvine).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
What I found humorous about these earthquakes was that there's a clip somewhere out there of a Dodgers game that's happening at Dodgers stadium at the time the Friday Earthquake happened and the teams were still playing on like of importance is not happening and you can see the cameras shaking during the play.

Anyway, yeah.  I mean I haven't actually felt an earthquake this big since I was like under 10, but if worst comes to worst, I got to go with the old duck and cover under a table and hope it smooths over.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
Must've been the distance, cause my brothers were at Candlestick at the World Series game during 89, and there was no way baseball was going to continue being played during that one, and that quake was weaker than friday's.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
I think they are so used to them that they deal with the shakes and then move on.

Yes and no.  Yes, we're desensitized, but these quakes were certainly more noticeable than most.  Although there were a few people who said they didn't feel the quakes on Thursday, I don't know anyone who didn't feel the quakes on Friday.  However, they weren't big deals because (1) they were rollers, as opposed to jarring quakes (sort of like being on a raft in a not quite completely still lake); and (2) there was little or no damage in the heavily populated areas.  Keep in mind that, since last Thursday, there have been literally hundreds of quakes/aftershocks (almost 100 in the last 24 hours in excess of 2.5 per the USGS), but most people didn't feel them.  I guess this is NOT information that TAC should give Mrs. TAC.

:tup

Thanks for the offer. Not sure ditching the family while on vacation is going to happen though. :lol

Didn't figure, but I wanted to offer nonetheless.

What I found humorous about these earthquakes was that there's a clip somewhere out there of a Dodgers game that's happening at Dodgers stadium at the time the Friday Earthquake happened and the teams were still playing on like of importance is not happening and you can see the cameras shaking during the play.

I was watching the game when it happened.  There was virtually no reaction from the players on the field or the umpires.  The announcers were flabbergasted about that.

Must've been the distance, cause my brothers were at Candlestick at the World Series game during 89, and there was no way baseball was going to continue being played during that one, and that quake was weaker than friday's.

6.9 versus 7.1 (although the surface wave magnitude was the same).  Loma Prieta was also a different type of quake, and there was major damage in populated areas (e.g., the collapse of a portion of the Nimitz Freeway).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »
Just have your wife read the Cascadia Subduction  Zone Wiki page and she'll feel better....

Make sure you park under a Shopping Cart corral during all grocery store forays so that you have maximum protection from falling debris... just in case.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:40:54 AM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »
Make sure you park under a Shopping Cart corral during all grocery store forays so that you have maximum protection from falling debris... just in case.

Will do!  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
I was indoors for both of them last week.  They were over all mellow, but you could feel the side to side action.  The amazing thing was the duration of both.  They lasted quite a while.  I was here for Northridge and that one got our attentions.. The biggest ones were when I was a kid in the 70's in San Jose (NoCal).  We had 3 in the wee hours of the morning.  They were big enough that dishes were rattling and stuff was falling off the walls.  As an adult the worst for me was the Whittier Narrows quake.  While they call it a 5.9 now, at the time they had it as a 6.1.  What made it a rough one was we were only 15 miles from the epicenter.  It hit at like 7:40 am and I was in the shower.  First thought is always..."Hang tight...it will pass.."  But it only started rocking harder.  I grabbed my towel wrapped it and ran out of the apartment (yeah... your supposed to get in a doorway or under something blah...blah...blah... but I have a fear of being buried alive )  I'll take my chances outside in the street.   It was so funny my roomie at the time was in her shower and we were like the keystone cops wrapped in our towels heading for the door.... :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »
Tim,

When you go to Disneyland, if you see the people in the below video, run the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBWuYFeg9Y

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »
Holy shit! :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »

Heh, yea, as long as the building or freeway ain't coming down, us natives are fine.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Tim,

When you go to Disneyland, if you see the people in the below video, run the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBWuYFeg9Y

This is so ridiculous.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »
Yeah...saw that Disneyland clip the other day.  How sad for all the kids around there having their special day ruined.  Where the hell was security??  So much for "The Happiest Place on Earth"