Poll

What would you like to see from DT after D/T tour?

Another tour celebrating SFAM.
Another tour with a different setlist.
D/T Tour live album.
Immediately start working on DT15.
Another concept album.
Side projects/collaborations.
Other. (Specify in the reply)

Author Topic: What would you like to see from DT after D/T tour?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
What would you like to see from DT after D/T tour?
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
Hi guys, I've been quite inactive on this forum for A LOT. I've seen DT a few days ago at 'Rock the Castle' in Verona. It was an amazing show, I literally stood in front of JP and I've had some interactions with the members of the band during the show, especially Petrucci. Now I was wondering where I would like DT's next step to be, I think I will go with the live album of this tour.

Offline CharlesPL

Re: What would you like to see from DT after D/T tour?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:07:06 PM »
Another tour with a different setlist.

Online DTA

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Just a regular tour with a career-spanning setlist including songs that haven't been performed in many years (or at all in the case of Surrender To Reason).

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
Well.... they should tour the world and then start up the next album in my opinion.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
Once they’ve finished touring this album, I’d love to see them do some stuff outside the band for a bit. Would love another solo album from JP and JLB and also a LTE album. Could maybe throw in a live release to keep DT fans going for a while.

After saying all that, I wouldn’t complain if they went straight to recording a new album, still really enjoying D/T.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »
yea, I figure there's a finite amount of time left for the band. I don't want them spending (wasting) a year of their career doing solo stuff. Honestly none of that appeals to me. If they do it, great, but I don't want DT on hold to accommodate that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
Yep, I agree, no need to waste time on any side projects or solo albums, unless they can squeeze them in during DT's down time between albums and touring cycles.  They are getting close to the finishing line and I'd rather get as much new music out of them as possible, so I vote for a new album.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 07:23:16 PM »
Yep, I agree, no need to waste time on any side projects or solo albums, unless they can squeeze them in during DT's down time between albums and touring cycles.  They are getting close to the finishing line and I'd rather get as much new music out of them as possible, so I vote for a new album.
This sums it up for me, so I voted the same. That said, I know they plan on another run through North America later this year, so I hope they'll have dropped SFaM from the second set and come up with a completely different set in its place.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
This sums it up for me, so I voted the same. That said, I know they plan on another run through North America later this year, so I hope they'll have dropped SFaM from the second set and come up with a completely different set in its place.

I believe that's the plan isn't it? Unless $$ talks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 12:14:24 AM »
Another tour with a different setlist

Specifically: all of WDADU to celebrate its 30th anniversary

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 01:17:53 AM »
Another tour with a different setlist

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That would actually be great...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 05:33:43 AM »
I agree too. Thanks Scotty.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Honestly, I'd like them to do some different DT things. Bring back the semi-acoustic holiday shows. Have a reunion of JP-JR-MP in Liquid Tension and give that its due. Maybe do an acoustic album.

I really love DOT. Outstanding record. I think they should get away from it, and then come back with the same approach after some other things are done. But I know I'm likely in the minority here.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
Do you mean after the full D/T world tour which apparently will include another Euro and NA leg?  If so, then get back to the studio after a break.  The band is on fire with this release, I'd love to get more music out of them if they are up to it.  If you only meant after this Euro leg of the D/T tour only, then I'd say do another tour with a full setlist not dedicated to anything other than the songs not featured this time around.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Another tour celebrating SFAM:  Good grief, no.

Another tour with a different setlist:  Are we talking about after all legs of the DOT tour are over?  Or what they should do after the conclusion of the first European leg?  I think the band has clearly indicated that there will be another North American leg and (I think) a European leg where they do SFAM.  I think they should do both of those things, and I think the NA leg should focus on DOT, with other stuff from throughout the catalog.  As far as what they do after all legs of the DOT tour are over, I think they should take their customary break and get to work on the next album.

D/T Tour live album:  No.

Immediately start working on DT15:  See above.

Another concept album:  If the next album turns out to be a concept album, that would be cool, but I don't feel like they should set out with that specific intent.

Side projects/collaborations:  With one exception, I have never had any interest in any DT side projects/collaborations/solo projects.   The one exception was LTE, and I didn't get into that until well after the fact.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »

Please, no.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
I voted other. I think they will need to take some time to rest after the D/T cycle. Not a long rest, maybe 6 months or so. No tours, no side projects, nothing. Just a good rest to rejuvenate and then get together for the writing/recording of DT15.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 02:23:29 AM »
I would be very happy to see another LTE album after this tour cycle... as much to see how a MP reunion would feel. BUT shortly after that (maybe 3 months) back to the day job and DT15 while D/T iron is still hot
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online goo-goo

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Would love to see the d/t album played in its entirety in the 2nd leg. It's a great rocking album from start to finish.

Wouldn't mind seeing Misunderstood and Blind Faith in their set as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 07:51:34 AM »
Would love to see the d/t album played in its entirety in the 2nd leg. It's a great rocking album from start to finish.

Wouldn't mind seeing Misunderstood and Blind Faith in their set as well.

I'm not against seeing all of D/T live, but the next NA leg needs to not be a full album as they've done that three times in a row (actually four if you just count tour legs since TA got two legs).

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »
Other: Whatever they want. Considering it's almost a decade since MP left wanting to take a break (and subsequently got busier than ever), maybe they'd want to do that. Or maybe they'd want to keep riding this wave of momentum they've built up from the making of D/T, perhaps even wanting to work in the studio they've supposedly built.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »

Please, no.
Agreed, maybe a song or two but the whole album wouldn't be fair to JLB. The band has also gotten so much better since then.
 I would like to see DT make a live dvd of the second leg of the d/t tour with a random setlist featuring all or most of the new album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »

Please, no.

Agreed, maybe a song or two but the whole album wouldn't be fair to JLB. The band has also gotten so much better since then.

I feel like this discussion already happened in another thread,  Only 40% of the guys who recorded WDADU are still in the band, and WDADU got its anniversary treatment in 2004.  I suppose if JP really wanted to do it, JR JM (edit:  too many damn J's in the band!) would go along with him, but I also feel like JLB and JR would say, "didn't we already do this?"  I agree that a song or two is all it deserves and all that will happen.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:24:27 AM by pg1067 »

Offline Addy

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 03:09:12 AM »
Side projects. I mean JP solo album in particular. He should finally take the time to record it. It's been 15 years. If he has it written, how much time will it take to record? Probably 3-4 weeks.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:37 AM »
Even though it's nice to see them giving honor to their catalog playing some albums in full I would rather see good setlist with songs from all of their catalog and some rare ones.

But what is really would like is that they could pull out an EP with 4-5 songs, new songs or reworks. Then another world tour supporting D/T and that EP.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline robwebster

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 01:05:39 AM »
I've selected "another tour with a different setlist" only because they haven't headlined in Europe yet, and I accidentally got spoiled on this year's set (plus I'm not that excited to see Scenes in full - although if that's what they're running I'm sure I'll enjoy it).

Otherwise, I think it'd be cool if they hit the studio reasonably soon. Distance over Time was a killer disc, and since they basically toured after The Astonishing twice, it felt like it had been a long time in the making. I'd be surprised to see anything before 2021, but it'd be a great surprise.

I feel like this discussion already happened in another thread,  Only 40% of the guys who recorded WDADU are still in the band, and WDADU got its anniversary treatment in 2004.  I suppose if JP really wanted to do it, JR JM (edit:  too many damn J's in the band!) would go along with him, but I also feel like JLB and JR would say, "didn't we already do this?"  I agree that a song or two is all it deserves and all that will happen.
Light Fuse and The Ones Who Helped to Set the Sun on rotation, followed immediately by Only a Matter of Time. Two songs, fifteen minutes, one of which was on Budokan so shouldn't be too obscure, the other a proper deep cut. I think that does a solid job without stopping the show in its tracks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »
I've selected "another tour with a different setlist" only because they haven't headlined in Europe yet, and I accidentally got spoiled on this year's set (plus I'm not that excited to see Scenes in full - although if that's what they're running I'm sure I'll enjoy it).

Otherwise, I think it'd be cool if they hit the studio reasonably soon. Distance over Time was a killer disc, and since they basically toured after The Astonishing twice, it felt like it had been a long time in the making. I'd be surprised to see anything before 2021, but it'd be a great surprise.

Light Fuse and The Ones Who Helped to Set the Sun on rotation, followed immediately by Only a Matter of Time. Two songs, fifteen minutes, one of which was on Budokan so shouldn't be too obscure, the other a proper deep cut. I think that does a solid job without stopping the show in its tracks.
I actually suggested TOWHTSTS and OAMOT in the setlist poll for this tour (bosk conducted it, remember). The Killing Hand might have been cool too IMHO. I'm glad they didn't play it though. MM's small kit is disconcerting to me.

Oh and concerning the idea of another concept album (which I didn't vote for btw), here's a thought on that: IMHO, DT redefined what a concept album can be (certainly in the case of TA, seeing as how massive the undertaking was, they might have done so with Met2 too. I don't know, I don't listen to it anymore) If they ever were to make another one, it has to be more elaborate and more complex than the both of Met2 and TA combined, both concerning technical difficulty and storytelling.

Apart from all that, I still stand by my proposition of working on DT15 immediately (or soon-ish), as I've posted above somewhere in response to Scotty.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
I would like to see them take a similar approach to writing the way they did with Distance Over Time, which seems to have really amped up the level of chemistry in their music.

Short of that, not really interested in anybody's solo work but JP. If the other guys in DT wanted to hang it up for some reason, it would be cool to see JP fully embrace a solo career as a legacy guitarist, sort of how Satriani or Vai or Morse do. JP doing albums full of world class guest musicians and touring with an all-star band doing a wider range of musical styles than we hear in DT would be pretty cool. I suspect he will do that at some point but not as long as DT remains successful and fulfilling for him.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 02:58:11 AM »
Release a live DVD/BluRay, take a rest and then start work on the next album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
Welp - time to get excited!

I now change my vote to "hit the studio, new album."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »
Release a live DVD/BluRay, take a rest and then start work on the next album.

I second this but what would the live album be? We already have a Scenes Live Album. Maybe Distance Over Time in its entirety...but what else?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
I would love it if they did another EP with one or two epics on it.  I have really liked thier last few albums but I'm getting a little tired of all the short songs.  I don't mind some short songs, but I'm craving more epics. :tup
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"