Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31211 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1977 soundtrack featured)
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2019, 06:03:05 PM »
Not sure you want to hear what I have to say.

A lot of these songs are catchy. But so is chlamydia.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
Not sure you want to hear what I have to say.

A lot of these songs are catchy. But so is chlamydia.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
I love how on the album cover, John Travolta is actually pointing at the Bee Gees. Kind of like, "Don't blame me, THEY made me do it."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
I bought this with a Beach Boys greatest hits. 

I was 9.  Sue me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
My parents had this was well, but think it was on CD, and yes they played it a lot. Off the top of my head I didn't recall what was on it other than the Bee Gee songs and Disco Inferno (which back when I was a kid was my favorite, and today still one of my favorite disco-era songs - yes I have favorite disco-era songs). Looking it up I am amazed it has some other awesome songs I had no idea were on it.

I don't know if I have ever seen this movie the whole way through, I can only recall seeing it in bits and parts throughout the years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2019, 07:14:59 PM »
I bought this with a Beach Boys greatest hits. 

I was 9.  Sue me. :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
No joke there.  Just in Technicolor.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:58 AM »
I have a Bee Gees greatest hits that I actually listen to a fair amount.  If you can get past the disco stylings (which aren't as bad as some of the songs of the era) there is some fine songcraft there.

Also, the movie is better than it should be, though it's a little darker than the bouncy music suggests.   I always felt bad for Annette.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »
:lol  I had this too.  I remember picking it up at a garage sale and listening to it on my walkman while doing my paper route.  Chad is right about the songs being catchy.  For some reason, the song I liked the most was the Kool & the Gang song, Open Sesame.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
I used to listen to the SNF soundtrack as a kid...that's one of the most awesome soundtracks of all time.  Every song is huge, and I still enjoy the Bee Gees today.

Offline pg1067

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1975 album featured on 7/16/19)
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Saturday Night Fever (Soundtrack)

I actually remember my parents listening to this a lot in the late 70's/early 80's on 8-track. That's right, 8-track! I cannot say I have ever actually listened to it since, but it's definitely a disco classic, featuring five songs that most people my age or older know pretty well, the four big Bee Gees hits and Disco Inferno by the Trammps.  Say what you want, but Disco Inferno is one helluva fun song.  Let's hear from the older fans who grew up listening to this.

This was before my time:  I was 10 when the movie came out.  I wasn't into popular music and certainly wasn't interested in a movie about people dancing.  But you can't have missed this.  It was EVERYWHERE.  To this day, though, I don't think I've ever seen the movie.

Looking at the list of songs, the song I was probably most familiar with at the time was A Fifth of Beethoven, which was actually released long before the movie.  I see there's also a disco version of Night on Bald Mountain (called Night on Disco Mountain), which I don't think I've ever heard, but which I might check out.  Boogie Shoes, Disco Inferno and four of the six Bee-Gees songs on the album were ubiquitous (Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Night Fever and More Than a Woman), and another is familiar by name (Jive Talkin').  None of the other songs' names ring any bells for me.  I can't say I really "like" anything on this album, but it's definitely nostalgic.

My elementary school used to have discounted nights at a local roller rink.  I couldn't roller skate for shit, but a couple kids could, and the images of people skating with these songs playing is etched upon my memory for all time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »
Don't forget "You Should be Dancing" too, which had the best dance scene in the movie.  Watching John Travolta move like that is just so cool:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUID0jSh2Ic

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1976 album featured on 7/15/19)
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2019, 03:47:06 PM »
Other than Jailbreak and Boys Are Back in Town, did Thin Lizzy ever record anything relevant?

Oh yeah, Metallica covered them once. Decent tune.

Yes. They didn’t often grab me with whole albums, but their best Of is as good as anyone’s.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
I think the soundtrack stands the test of time better than the movie does. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
Don't forget "You Should be Dancing" too, which had the best dance scene in the movie.  Watching John Travolta move like that is just so cool:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUID0jSh2Ic

I don't think I have seen the movie since I was a kid, and watching that scene again just now, it is weird seeing Travolta looking so young and so thin.  Wonder if he can still dance like that...I doubt it. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic

This album is very much loved by music fans in general, and most would call it a classic.  For me, King Crimson is a band that is really hit or miss, and that describes this album in general for me.  I like it, as it has some really great moments, but it has some moments I am not wild about either.  Taking the song The Talking Drum.  That is mostly a cool song, with a great build-up, but the climax with those screeching violins makes me want to pull my ears off with a pair of pliers.  The title track, of which we get two parts, is good. Part 1 is good in a chilling kind of way, while Part 2 rocks your balls off, but neither is one I ever reach for anymore.  Easy Money and Exiles are easily my two favorite songs here.  Good album overall, but like quite a few other King Crimson albums, I don't think it quite lives up to its reputation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1973 album featured on 7/20/19)
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
King Crimson.... Blah
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
Fist comment is ..

.... Blah

..6 hours after the original post.

Yup. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »
Weekend forum traffic is always a bit slower, fool. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2019, 09:53:33 PM »
To be fair I haven't listened to much KC but from what I have checked out I didn't enjoy anything so never delved any deeper.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2019, 04:46:57 AM »
King Crimson.... Blah

Ditto.  The only KC album I own is (naturally) ITCOTCK.  And I think I've listened to it 2 or 3 times.  Meh.  Don't see what the fuss is all about.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:27 AM »
King Crimson.... Blah

Ditto.  The only KC album I own is (naturally) ITCOTCK.  And I think I've listened to it 2 or 3 times.  Meh.  Don't see what the fuss is all about.

Dude. ITCOTCK is phenomenal!! Almost made my top 50.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2019, 07:04:26 AM »
King Crimson.... Blah

Dude. ITCOTCK is phenomenal!! Almost made my top 50.
could be considered as the first ever prog album in history. I don't listen to it often, but it paved the way for so many other albums I think.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »
It was not the first prog album ever, but it was undoubtedly highly influential.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »
Larks Tongues in Aspic is excellent! At the very top of the KC albums in my opinion, yet I don't know if I would have ever picked it as a "classic" album if I were running this thread. I guess it could be considered a classic on this forum where you're guaranteed to find a significant group who are familiar with it, but to the larger world, it's pretty obscure.

Talking Drums, Easy Money, Exiles, Part 1 and especially Part 2 (I love how evil the guitars feel on this song) are all awesome.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:18 AM »
Larks Tongues in Aspic is excellent! At the very top of the KC albums in my opinion, yet I don't know if I would have ever picked it as a "classic" album if I were running this thread. I guess it could be considered a classic on this forum where you're guaranteed to find a significant group who are familiar with it, but to the larger world, it's pretty obscure.

Talking Drums, Easy Money, Exiles, Part 1 and especially Part 2 (I love how evil the guitars feel on this song) are all awesome.
I agree, one of my favourites and the start of a great run of KC albums IMHO
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1976 album featured on 7/22/19)
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
Okay, we move on...

Kansas - Leftoverture

Recommend by mike099, this was on my list anyway of albums to feature, but I moved it up in the rotation.  This is usually in my all-time top 10.  I got into Kansas through their Best-Of in the early 90's and never really heard anything else, and a few years later, a friend was like, "You need to hear Leftoverture."  I only knew Carry On Wayward Son and The Wall, so he played me Miracles out of Nowhere, and my jaw was on the floor for like days. I couldn't believe how awesome that song was, and I still can't.  Cheyenne Anthem also completely floored me, and on more days than not, I call it my favorite Kansas song.  And the rest of the album is pretty much totally money as well, the only exception being there merely-good What's On My Mind.  But hey, 7 totally awesome songs and 1 good song is something I will take each and every time.  This is Kansas at their best. 

Offline pg1067

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1976 album featured on 7/22/19)
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »
Okay, we move on...

Kansas - Leftoverture

I didn't buy this until a good 10-15 years after it was released.  When I started getting into Kansas in the late 80s, I started with the 1984 "Best of" package and then moved on to Two for the Show.  The former had two songs from Leftoverture (Wayward Son and The Wall), and the latter had the same two and Magnum Opus (although I'd have sworn that it had a version of Miracles out of Nowhere).  I probably bought Point of Know Return First, but Leftoverture eclipses POKR.  Other than What's on My Mind, all of side 1 is epic, and the same is true of nearly all of side 2.  It's odd that Kansas never got the credit it deserved as a true prog band.  Absolutely great album from a band firing on all cylinders.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Kansas)
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
Top 10 album of all time for me.  Just from top to bottom perfection.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »
There's something about Kansas that leaves me with blue balls. To me, they'd be much better a lot heavier.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
I figured marriage caused that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
I don't listen to this album enough. I'll rectify that tomorrow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
I don't listen to this album enough. I'll rectify that tomorrow.

And then you'll remember why you don't listen to this album enough...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
TAC: Never missing an opportunity to take a steaming dump on something most everyone else loves.

:tup