Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31499 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Van Halen)
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »

How do we know that's him?...oh, let me check...

Great picture of his ass Stads! :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
I have a better one:

No excuses, but I was trying to be sly with the photo.  It was SO low key; not one person bothered him or even seemed to recognize him.  I did confirm with the gate agent that it was him, though, because as I said, they paused boarding to let him get on. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: August 21, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »
I'm just busting. That's actually freaking awesome.

Do you watch NESN at all? Kacie McDonnell was at the baggage claim right next to us in San Diego. Apparently she was on our flight out there. And NO, I didn't take a picture of her ass. I preferred to stay married. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #493 on: August 21, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
VH1 is interesting.. Side 1 is pretty much all solid for me except I'm The One which I don't care at all about. Eruption is killer, YRGM is one of those definitive cover songs, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love is a really fun rocker but some of the lyrics are bad and I don't like Roth's delivery for much of it. Runnin' with the Devil is hilarious if you listen to the isolated vocal tracks but the song itself rocks. Side 2 just plain stinks imo, sorry

That isolated vocal tracks is one of the funniest things ever!   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »
“GoddamitbabyyouknowIain’tlyingtoyouI’monlygonnatellyouonetimeaaaaaaaahyeah!”

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2019, 05:49:11 PM »
Hey Stads, you gotta picture of David Lee Roth’s ass somewhere on that HDD? :eyebrows:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2019, 06:23:34 PM »
With the assless chaps?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Deep Purple)
« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
Deep Purple - Machine Head

While I will totally concede that the riff to Smoke on the Water blew my mind the first time I heard it in the early 90's, Deep Purple has always been a band I merely kinda liked.  They have songs I like, some of which are on this record, but I never go out of my way to listen to any of them.  Ever.  I do remember getting this on CD back in the day, because I wanted Smoke on the Water, and was taken aback at how terrible the sound quality was. Even by 1972 standards, it was pretty bad.  I think recent remasters have helped it a lot in that regard. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2019, 07:43:57 AM »
I know nothing about Deep Purple, but I have to acknowledge this:

VH1 is interesting.. Side 1 is pretty much all solid for me except I'm The One which I don't care at all about. Eruption is killer, YRGM is one of those definitive cover songs, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love is a really fun rocker but some of the lyrics are bad and I don't like Roth's delivery for much of it. Runnin' with the Devil is hilarious if you listen to the isolated vocal tracks but the song itself rocks. Side 2 just plain stinks imo, sorry

That isolated vocal tracks is one of the funniest things ever!   :lol :lol

"WOOOOO! .... WOOOOO!"

:lol :rollin :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
Deep Purple are great, not on all records and not on all songs but on the whole a really iconic and influential band.

Machine Head is a great record, full of classics, but almost all of them are seriously overplayed and as good as the riff to Smoke On The Water is, I won't regret it if I never hear the song again.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: August 22, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »
The bad sound was, in my opinion, Warner Brothers.  They botched the early Van Halen transfers to CD too.   I know I have the remasters done with Roger Glover's oversight (including some remixes that apparently turned the Man In Black temporarily RED!) and they sound really good.   Let's not get crazy, not "Discipline" good (one of the best sounding CDs in my collection, in my opinion) but much better than they used to.   

Blackmore is my favorite musician of all time, and I'm a big fan of Purple.  Fireball is my jam, but this record is better than just being "the one with Smoke...  on it".   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
Never really cared for Deep Purple.  Can't put my finger on it, but I just never could really get into them.

BTW, of course Springsteen sang about things from his background in Jersey.  But in no way were those things specific to Jersey.  People everywhere related to his music, which is why he is so popular.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
Purple is a "Greatest Hits" band to me. I have one of their (many) Greatest Hits albums, and Live in Tokyo, and that fulfills my DP needs just nicely.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ABBA)
« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
ABBA - Arrival

And now we move on to a pop classic from the 70s, ABBA's 1976 classic, Arrival.  It is not difficult to see why this band was so big. The vocals are excellent, the songs are catchy as hell, and the overall sound is very real and colorful.  Dancing Queen is the biggest one here of course, but to me, Knowing Me, Knowing You is a major classic and just a damn good song.  When I Kissed the Teacher and That's Me are also ones I like a lot, and the title track that closes the album is just terrific.  What they do with their voices in that title track is just amazing.  I know this isn't everyone's thing, but its classic status is well-earned.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: August 24, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
Had to look this one up because I only know them by their hits (which will always get a lot of play for me).

Money, Money, Money is a fantastic song, and I rank Fernando in their Top 3, though Wikipedia says it wasn't on the original album except in Australia and New Zealand.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline max_security

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: August 25, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »
I love Abba, mainly because it takes me back to when I was growing up but also because the song writing is incredible.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2019, 04:27:17 AM »
ABBA songs metal up very well 🤘.
They were the first group I was into as a kid before I heard KISS.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #508 on: August 26, 2019, 04:45:44 AM »
I love Abba, mainly because it takes me back to when I was growing up but also because the song writing is incredible.
as are their vocal chops IMHO
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Supertramp)
« Reply #509 on: August 26, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Another major classic here, often called art rock and sometimes called progressive rock, but whatever you call it, this is a great album.  Dreamer is the most well-known song here, and I will concede that this song can grate on me a little if it's not the right day, but on others day, I still enjoy it a lot. The other radio hits, Bloody Well Right and School, are both stone cold killer tunes, and the deep cuts on this album are just tremendous, most notably the title track, Rudy and Hide in Your Shell, the latter of which is sometimes my favorite Supertramp song.  I love how musical this album is, with the different keyboard sounds, the saxophone, the clarinet, etc.

Great record!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #510 on: August 26, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »

This is a band that was really big when I was growing up (especially when Breakfast in America was out), but it was before I really got into popular music, and they had pretty well died out by the time I was into it.  I only know like three Supertramp songs:  Dreamer, Bloody Well Right and the Logical Song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: August 26, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »

This is a band that was really big when I was growing up (especially when Breakfast in America was out), but it was before I really got into popular music, and they had pretty well died out by the time I was into it.  I only know like three Supertramp songs:  Dreamer, Bloody Well Right and the Logical Song.

Not "Take The Long Way Home" or "Breakfast In America" ("Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got... Not much of a girlfriend...")?

When they are good, they are GREAT.   There is just a lot there that doesn't always grab me.   

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #512 on: August 26, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »

Another major classic here, often called art rock and sometimes called progressive rock, but whatever you call it, this is a great album.  Dreamer is the most well-known song here, and I will concede that this song can grate on me a little if it's not the right day, but on others day, I still enjoy it a lot. The other radio hits, Bloody Well Right and School, are both stone cold killer tunes, and the deep cuts on this album are just tremendous, most notably the title track, Rudy and Hide in Your Shell, the latter of which is sometimes my favorite Supertramp song.  I love how musical this album is, with the different keyboard sounds, the saxophone, the clarinet, etc.

Great record!
One of my favourites by the band for all these reasons (although I like all their records)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #513 on: August 26, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »

Not "Take The Long Way Home" or "Breakfast In America" ("Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got... Not much of a girlfriend...")?

They don't ring a bell (other than BIA being the title track of that album).  It's possible I've heard them but don't know them by name and don't remember them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: August 26, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »
Supertramp was all over my classic rock station when that was all I listened too. Liked all the hits, with School and Even in the Quietest Moments being my favorites. Never bothered to buy any albums though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: August 26, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
"Breakfast In America" ("Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got... Not much of a girlfriend...")?

"she gives me seltzer when my tummy aches, I keep her picture in my wallet...."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: August 26, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
One of those bands where I know a few songs quite well but couldn't tell you who played them until I checked.   Obviously charted in Australia but not a band I have ever had come up in conversation.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #517 on: August 27, 2019, 03:23:43 AM »
I don't own a lot of Supertramp records but this is one of them and it's great. There really isn't a bad track on this record and School is an absolute classic tune imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #518 on: August 27, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »
Supertramp is a fantastic band, no question.  But I have to really be in the mood to listen to them, and I am not often in that mood.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #519 on: August 28, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
Aw man, I'm so behind.  Can I take it back to Van Halen for a sec?

I recently listened to DLR on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.  That interview was literally exhausting.  He's like the fastest talker on the planet and flits from subject to subject more rapidly that someone who is floridly manic.  But he is also super smart with a depth and breadth of knowledge that surprised me.

I also had no idea how much the band mates hate each other.  Even to this day.  Now, I wouldn't want to spend hours on a tour bus with DLR either, but it's sad how they can't let bygones be bygones.

Anyway, love VH.  Nothing takes me back to high school faster than Runnin with the Devil and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: August 28, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »

Scrolled to the top of the page and somehow missed this the first time. Glorious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #521 on: August 28, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »

Scrolled to the top of the page and somehow missed this the first time. Glorious.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/4-lead-singers-that-sound-shockingly-bad-without-band/

See entry #1 and the YouTube links that go with it (the other three entries are pretty good too).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #522 on: August 28, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Now we see who the major classic rock fans here are, as you almost have to be to like this one.  I had this CD way back in the 90's and always found it a bit spotty, but I get why it's a classic.  It has some longtime classic rock favorites, and it brought together the original trio of CSN with Neil Young.  Woodstock is the true standout here, IMO, and the title track and Carry On are favorites as well.  The classic CSN harmonies carry much of the album as usual, and Young's (what some would call) unconventional lead guitar style brought a flavor to the music that isn't there on just the CSN records. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: CSNY)
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
Pop-folk has never given me a thrill...less so than beach music, even. Still, I could probably sing along with half the songs on this album.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: CSNY)
« Reply #524 on: August 29, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
I have the CSN box set, and man, when they are on, they are ON.   Nothing more beautiful.  Alas, when they miss the mark... 

Seeking out the interview they did with Dan Rather would be rewarding.  For all their hippy-dippy, Mother-Earth, lovey-dovey nonsense, they are a prickly bunch, and as I understand it, as of right now, Nash and Stills are not at all speaking to Crosby.  The interview is great, because the three of them cannot agree as to when they first sang together, and they are unapologetic about that disagreement.  Final observation, Stills is a breathtaking guitarist, but I honestly think he either banged his head or got some bad acid; sometimes when he talks it just makes zero sense.