Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31213 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
And Fuck the self fellating Heart version of Evermore too!

No way dude, that is one of my favorite classic rock covers ever!

Absolutely all of this.  Heart is the only band that did LZ covers any justice (wait....I take that back....the Great White live tribute album was pretty amazing).   And Ann Wilson could sing the phone book and still sound amazing.   Her cover of Stairway brought Robert Plant to tears.

And the live version of "Achilles Last Stand" by Temple Of The Dog.  Matt Cameron got that whole fluidity of time thing that Bonham and Page had (and that virtually every band covering Zeppelin fucks up).  I saw that at MSG and it gave me chills, moreso when Chris Cornell finished the song and said "I can't fucking believe we're playing a Led Zeppelin song... in THIS building." or something like that (Zeppelin played more shows at MSG than any other building in the U.S.  The LA Forum is close, but I think MSG gets the nod). 

I had a roommate in college - we called him "Metal Craig" - who was both broke as shit and the biggest Zeppelin fan I ever met.  All he had was a received and two speakers for a stereo, but when he wanted to drink he would bet us that he couldn't find a Zeppelin song somewhere on the dial, and far more often than not he won.  I prefer Physical Graffiti, but there's no denying the legend of this album.  From the playing, to the recording, to the release (no name, no title, no reference to the band, no single... and it still sold a Brazilian copies), it's the real deal. And I'm sorry, but in 1971 Jimmy Page found a way to make music SOUND good, and almost 50 years later we have bands that still can't figure it out. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:29:33 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2019, 07:04:56 AM »
The Who - Who's Next

Similar to Zeppelin IV, this is an obvious classic loaded with classic rock staples.  Hearing Baba O'Riley for the first time in a buddy's car back in 1990 was like a religious experience; I had never heard anything that awesome before.  Of course this was pre-internet, and because my buddy only knew it as "Teenage Wasteland," it took me weeks to find out the name of the song. :lol  Other favorites for me from this album are My Wife (something about that song I really like), The Song Is Over and Behind Blue Eyes.  I have never gone nuts for Won't Get Fooled Again like many do, but it is a solid tune nonetheless.  My only beef with this album is the sound of Keith Moon's drums; they are so far back in the mix that it sounds like his nuts were cut off.  While their earlier album sounded more raw and less polished, his drums sounded awesome; you could always hear the power and fury in nearly every hit.  Who's Next was a big leap in overall sound and production, but the drawback was the emasculation of Moon's recorded sound, which they fortunately fixed quickly (the drums sound powerful again on Quadrophenia two years later).  Anyway, discuss this classic Who record.  :coolio

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »
what could have been Lifehouse...

Zeppelin IV: I still love Stairway (always have, and always will), but radio killed my desire to hear Black Dog and Rock N Roll ever again. Even to an extent Misty Mountain Hop, a tune I loved when I got into them in HS.

The gems beyond Stairway are Four Sticks and Battle of Evermore (Sandy Denny RIP).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
hhhmmmm another from 1971.   :biggrin:

My first exposure to this was in 1987 I think.  Local radio station did a Top 500 albums of all time long weekend thing, and iirc, this was #4 or 5 (behind Sgt Pepper's, Zoso, Dark Side and maybe Hotel California).  Of course, The Who were part of the 'big 4' (or five depending on the inclusion of Floyd), but usually considered 4th in that 4-horse race.

Clearly their biggest commercial album.  I was mostly a 'greatest hit's fan of theirs until my adulthood, and I dug a little deeper into their discog - at which point they weren't as impactful to me as they could've been had I dug deeper in my teenage years.  This one is a gem start-to-finish.  Of the lesser (after the 'big 3') tracks, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes are my faves.

I can't tell you how many times I watched this live video for Won't Get Fooled Again.  That last scream with Townsend flying/sliding across the stage after the smoke/light show and Moon going nuts on the skins... absolutely magnificent.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
hhhmmmm another from 1971.   :biggrin:

:tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2019, 08:26:42 AM »
Part of a 3 album run that is top 5 in my books. Bands at their peak and they were on fire with Who's Next.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »

Clearly their biggest commercial album.  I was mostly a 'greatest hit's fan of theirs until my adulthood, and I dug a little deeper into their discog - at which point they weren't as impactful to me as they could've been had I dug deeper in my teenage years.  This one is a gem start-to-finish.  Of the lesser (after the 'big 3') tracks, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes are my faves.

This is me; I loved the hits, but it took this record to get me into the deeper cuts. The well known stuff is just so powerful, but the deeper tracks - "Love Ain't For Keeping", "Getting In Tune", "The Song Is Over", and from the expanded version, "Pure And Easy" and "Too Much Of Anything" are almost beautiful.   

That may be one of a very few "perfect" albums. 

Offline max_security

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »
The really passionate fans of The Who that I knew are long gone. I'm not old enough to remember the release of this album but it was on frequent rotation at my dads house back in the old days. I don't think I've listened to this in full since 1979 but I think it's a better one for Entwhistle bass playing ( not so much on the piano tune if I'm remembering the right album ).

Mr. Big does an awesome cover of Baba O. , Billy Sheehan would have been my choice to fill in for The Ox for the semi - recent Who tours.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
Another classic record, without question, my favorites are the better known songs like Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again and so on.

I haven't played that record in a long time so I will just do that now.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
When pressed for my "Favorite album of all time!!!" I usually go with The Wall, because, well, it could very well be, but it is also a landmark in my musical development and journey. Though if broken down to the core of my "favorite album" this very well could be it.

Of the lesser (after the 'big 3') tracks, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes are my faves.

Behind Blue Eyes is a "lesser" track? What are you considering the "Big 3?" I always thought Behind Blue Eyes was considered #3 on this album, behind Baba and Won't Get Food Again.

...from the expanded version, "Pure And Easy" and "Too Much Of Anything" are almost beautiful.   

Yes!!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2019, 03:45:13 PM »
This is the only Who album I have ever bought in my life.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2019, 12:33:56 AM »
Sleeper favorite on Who's Next is Entwistle's song, "My Wife."  Rocks hard, and the lyrics are funny without being over the top.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2019, 07:11:05 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)

A damn fine debut record, one that often gets overlooked when talking about the all-time great debut records.  Most attention always goes to Free Bird, a great tune and a major classic for sure, but the whole album is quite good.  Simple Man and Gimme Three Steps are longtime classic rock radio favorites as well, and my favorite from the record is Tuesday's Gone, which is probably my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd song.  I tend to re-visit songs from this album, rather than giving the whole albums regular spins, but there is no debating what a good debut record this was. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 07:29:06 AM »
It's a good debut.  I'm in the "Tuesday's Gone" and "Simple Man" camp; I liked Skynyrd best when there was a little dark, a little edge to the music.  But the second album was better, and one I go back to more. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Pretty impressive for a debut album. Actually pretty impressive for any album in a band's discography. Simple Man is golden, definitely an overlooked gem behind their more well-known and oft-played classics. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Yeah, great debut. Tuesday's Gone might be one of their best songs. Free Bird is the classic southern rock song, and it's good but maybe a little too long. Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, I Ain't The One are all great too and the deeper cuts are not far behind.

Offline max_security

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
Poison Whiskey is my favorite from this album. I had to look up the track listing to be honest , another one that is not in regular rotation for quite awhile.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
I grew up in South Nashville and loved the southern rock music.  Concerning the later skynyrd, check our Last of a Dyin’ Breed.  Tuesday’s Gone is my favorite from the pronounced album.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
You know, part of the problem I am going to have with this thread is that, when I was coming of age musically in the '80s, I just didn't like "'70s music."  It just sounded so dated and "inferior" to me at the time.  That's more my own issue than a problem with any of the bands of that era per se.  But that mindset colored my perception of anything from the '60s and '70s for a long time.  And I nevered own much from that era as a result.

Because a lot of bands I have liked have covered a lot of '60s and '70s songs, and because I have just been exposed to a lot more, I have opened up quite a bit to the music of that time.  But still, the production and overall sound can still sometimes be a barrier.

Taking this and going back to Zep, they are one of the bands that epitomized what I didn't like about the sound of that time.  For some reason, their sound still grates on me to this day.  And I just don't like the timbre of Plant's voice.  Never have.  Didn't like his '80s solo output either.  But that said, I find that I quite often enjoy Zep covers where the sound is slightly modernized and the singer doesn't try to sound too much like Plant.  Through that, I have come to appreciate the songwriting, even if I don't care for their albums.

The Who are a different story.  I initially avoided them just because of the era when they were big, and that same type of sound.  But through constant exposure to their hits, I have come to like quite a few of their songs.  I don't know many of the deep cuts, and I don't own an album, and never have.  But I like many of the songs I have heard, including many from the album in this thread.

Ditto for Skynyrd.  And they had an extra strike against them in that I also didn't really care for "Southern rock" at all either.  But I have come to appreciate some of their music through time as well.  Gimme Three steps is fun, and A Simple Man is fantastic.  I still don't care much for Freebird, but whatever.  I don't exactly hate it either.  I can't really speak to the rest of the album because I don't know that I've heard any of the other songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 09:36:15 AM »
Freebird freaking rules.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline frogprog

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
Before I got into Rush and more progressive rock, The Who were my favorite band. I think my Mom broke and threw away not one, but two copies of Who's next because she would not "have that filth in her house"! I can just imagine her looking at the album cover and taking a minute to realize they just got done pissing on the rock thing. Seems pretty tame now, but that was like 73 or 74.
Love ya Ma!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
This is the kind of stuff I can’t get into, I hate redneck rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
Good music comes in many shapes and sizes, even in the form of southern rock. 

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 10:19:06 PM »
This is the kind of stuff I can’t get into, I hate redneck rock.

Serious question: Are Lynyrd Skynyrd members rednecks?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 10:23:10 PM »
What even categorizes "Southern Rock?" Just that the members are from the American south?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 10:55:01 PM »
What even categorizes "Southern Rock?" Just that the members are from the American south?

It’s really simple. If you can picture Bo and Luke Duke cranking it all the way in the General Lee, it’s southern rock.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
If the album you are listening to contains a song entitled "Sweet Home Alabama" . . .

. . . you might be listening to Southern Rock.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 11:18:30 PM »
Thank you for making me feel old for remembering watching that show.

*starts humming the theme song

:getoffmylawn:

I hate how everyone who doesn't know a thing about (Southern) rock loves this song. And I am not gatekeeping, I hate it myself. Though I do enjoy hearing the intro riff when Lee Corso picks Bama as his Gameday pick as he puts on the headgear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »

It’s really simple. If you can picture Bo and Luke Duke cranking it all the way in the General Lee, it’s southern rock.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »

I've never heard it referred to as having to be from the South, although I think that criterion is met by most of the Southern rock bands out there.  But it was more the sound.  Back in the '70s and '80s, you had certain bands that incorporated '70s and '80s country and western with '70s and '80s rock.  Think Skynyrd, the Allman Bros., Marshall Tucker, and the like.  I just never liked that sound back then.  Even now, I don't particularly care for it, although I have come to appreciate Skynyrd to a degree.

EDIT:  Just looked at the wikipedia article, and not surprisingly, it lists those three bands first.  :lol  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_rock
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
I just could never really get into Lynyrd Skynyrd. I like my music a bit heavier. I actually preferred Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot because they were a bit heavier.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
I don't own any Skynyrd albums besides a best of CD but + many love to Simple Man.  Maybe my favorite track of theirs, Tuesday's Gone is another good one. 

I saw them open for Sammy Hagar in 2003 and I was floored by how awesome they were live, I had only known a few songs of theirs then.  I saw them last summer for the second time on their farewell tour and they still sounded so good live.  I know it's so many different members now but they still have it IMO, the music stands the test of time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 06:24:09 PM »
Billy Joel - The Stranger

I always love me some Billy Joel, and this is his most classic and best album.  Six of the nine songs are among his most well-known songs ever, and he has a lot of well-known songs, and the deep cuts are really good as well.
 Scenes from an Italian Restaurant is Joel at his most epic story-telling, the title track is a melodic wonderland, and rockers like Only the Good Die Young and Movin' Out are always toe-tapping fun.  It's hard to believe that all of these songs are now 42 years old. :eek :eek

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »
Never heard it.

Seriously.

Whatever radio hits from it though, I'm sure I know.

I had Glass Houses on 8 track as part of a Columbia House haul when I was a kid.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
I have never owned this album, but just scanning the track list, I know a good half of the songs (and may very well know others if I heard them).  All of his work is pretty stellar.  He's just an all-around good musician, writer, and lyricist.  I may touch on his discography in the '80s thread.