Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31503 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Black Sabbath)
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
One of two Sabbath albums I actually own. Good record. Sabbath has never been heavy or fast enough for my taste but I like this one.

HEADLINE:  Euro Power Metal Fan Says Sabbath Not Heavy Enough  :biggrin:

I understand what you mean but was just thinking about the response it might get from a Sabbath fan  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Sabbath)
« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

My intro to classic Sabbath was by way of Ozzy's Speak of the Devil, so I knew Fairies, War Pigs, Iron Man and Paranoid from that album.  By the time I went and got the album itself, I was actually a little disappointed because the SotD versions seemed to have a lot more energy.  I've since warmed up to it, but those four songs are about as deep as I go into this album.  Planet Caravan seems like the ultimate drug trip song, and I probably haven't listened to it more than a couple times in my life.  Electric Funeral is ok.  Hand of Doom...meh.  Rat Salad...whatever.  I always wanted to like classic Sabbath better than I ever did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
I remember borrowing Paranoid from a friend when I was in the 7th grade. Iron Man is and has always been the song here for me. War Pigs is amazing as well. Other than Fairies Wear Boots, I don't care for much else here.

I did end up getting We Sold Our Souls shortly after, but I was literally out of college when I dove in with both feet in the Ozzy Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
No denying their place in history, but other than just a few songs (all of which are on this album), I was never able to get into Sabbath very much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
No denying their place in history, but other than just a few songs (all of which are on this album), I was never able to get into Sabbath very much.
I would agree speaking of Ozzy era Sabbath, but it actually was very easy for me to get into the Dio and Ian Gillan eras of Sabbath (love these to this day), maybe I will like the Ozzy era as well, who knows
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
Nah, never liked Dio either.

Probably never heard any of the Gillian stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »

Probably never heard any of the Gillian stuff.
that was the Born Again album in 1983 (weird to call it an "era", but IIRC Tony Iommi did, so...)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
I haven't read this entire thread, so it's probably been mentioned.  Boston's debut album is still to this day one of the best sounding records I have ever heard!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »
Listen to hefdaddy42 in all things.

Except this^

Or this^
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
#SpinningNow

Generals gathered in their maaaaaassseess!!!

I LOVE the guitar and bass on the intro (with the sirene in the background).  I have an edit i made once of just the instrumental parts (not that I don't love Ozzy, but there are better vocals/vocal melodies on that record, like "Fairies...").

Sabbath is a pillar for me.  All eras (yes, I even like the Martin and Gillan years). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »

Except this^

Or this^
To be fair, I didn't denigrate them.  Just saying they did nothing for me personally.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
Queen - A Night at the Opera

The 4th album by Queen is their most classic and highest-regarded album, and for good reason: it is an amazing musical achievement.  Bohemian Rhapsody, now arguably the most popular rock song ever, is the biggie of course, but the rest of the album is money as well.  If you want rock, you've got Sweet Lady and I'm in Love with My Car.  If you want epic, you've got the aforementioned Bohemian Rhapsody and The Prophet's Song.  If you want melodic gems, you've got Love of My Life and You're My Best Friend.  If you want an acoustic foot-stomper, you've got '39.  And if you want a little anger, or even a lot, you've got Death on Two Legs.  Even songs that some would describe as "out there" on a rock album, Bad Company and Seaside Rendezvous, are terrific on this record.

Freddie Mercury.  Brian May.  John Deacon.  Roger Taylor.

Legends.

Legendary record.

We're not worthy.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: QUEEN)
« Reply #327 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »
Got this CD as a treat forgetting my wisdomteerh pulled. Which was right around the time of the Freddy tribute concert. Listened to it a ton even though there were a few songs I didn't care for. And the only Queen CD I've ever owned. Rarely listen to them these days and what in do listen to isn't from this album. File it under Retired Favorites.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2019, 03:38:04 AM »
Queen - A Night at the Opera

The 4th album by Queen is their most classic and highest-regarded album, and for good reason: it is an amazing musical achievement.  Bohemian Rhapsody, now arguably the most popular rock song ever, is the biggie of course, but the rest of the album is money as well.  If you want rock, you've got Sweet Lady and I'm in Love with My Car.  If you want epic, you've got the aforementioned Bohemian Rhapsody and The Prophet's Song.  If you want melodic gems, you've got Love of My Life and You're My Best Friend.  If you want an acoustic foot-stomper, you've got '39.  And if you want a little anger, or even a lot, you've got Death on Two Legs.  Even songs that some would describe as "out there" on a rock album, Bad Company and Seaside Rendezvous, are terrific on this record.

Freddie Mercury.  Brian May.  John Deacon.  Roger Taylor.

Legends.

Legendary record.

We're not worthy.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy
one of the greatest (70s and otherwise) albums ever, and probably their best ever as well. This one and Innuendo are my personal favourites although I like all their records.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2019, 04:45:39 AM »
Definitely a requirement to be in the library of any Classic Rock listener, or DTF Fogey.  No duds, excellent lineup top to bottom.  You described it quite aptly Kev.  Albums nowadays just doesn't carry the diversity and uniqueness from track-to-track that bands gave us in the 70s.

Now I want to spin this too!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2019, 04:49:56 AM »
The Prophet's Song is one of their 2-3 best songs ever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2019, 06:18:17 AM »
as is Bo Rhap IMHO

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »
as is Bo Rhap IMHO

Let's put on the podium also The March of the Black Queen and let's be done with it
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »
This one and Innuendo are my personal favourites although I like all their records.

Innunedo is in my Queen top 3 (along with A Night at the Opera and Sheer Heart Attack).  :tup :tup

Definitely a requirement to be in the library of any Classic Rock listener, or DTF Fogey.  No duds, excellent lineup top to bottom.  You described it quite aptly Kev.  Albums nowadays just doesn't carry the diversity and uniqueness from track-to-track that bands gave us in the 70s.

Now I want to spin this too!

In the case of Queen, the major advantage was that they all came in with different approaches musically, rather than all four liking and then writing in the same musical style/genre.

as is Bo Rhap IMHO

Let's put on the podium also The March of the Black Queen and let's be done with it

Nah.  Prophet's Song and March of the Black Queen are both good, but neither would be in my Queen top 10. March of the Black Queen would be top 20, but Prophet's Song would not.  As much as I love A Night at the Opera, the repeating "and now I know" part of Prophet's Song is kind of annoying and goes on way too long. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
A Night at the Opera made a huge impression on me when it came out. I'll never forget the first time I heard BoRap on the radio beginning with the lush harmony of "Is this the real life". Even as many times as I've heard it, it still grabs my attention and holds it through the entire song. It's the music equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.

Then I bought the album and was blown away by the songcraft and diversity. Death on Two Legs, Lazing, I'm in Love with My Car, '39, Sweet Lady, Seaside... and that's just side one!  :lol  Even my mother liked the album and would sometimes come to my room and listen to it with me. She's an opera trained mezzo soprano and was fascinated with the vocal performance and experimentation.

The only song I'm not crazy about is Sweet Lady. It's good and all, and is much needed in its spot on the record, but it doesn't stick with me like all the other songs.

Anyway, and important album in the history of rock and an important album in my music-loving life.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: August 04, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
. It's the music equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.

I don't think Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2019, 07:55:22 AM »
I had Queen's Greatest Hits when I was a kid and I loved it. But I never got into them. The Lovely Mrs TAC loves them, so I ended up buying her all of the CD's and have heard most of them.

AMATO is a great album, but it's not really my thing. But what stands out about them is their versatility. And their production.

How can albums with today's technology sound like such crap? (Yes, I know, a discussion for another day/thread)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Bowie)
« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
Given their brief connection in the early 80's, it makes sense to go from Queen to this next artist...

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

I didn't really dig into much of Bowie's work until the mid 00's, and when I heard this, having only been familiar with Ziggy Stardust and Suffragette City, I was underwhelmed by the first few songs and then I kind of zoned out on the rest and never gave it a second listen.  Oops.  Then, in 2016 after Bowie passed away, I finally went back and gave this some fresh listens and was stunned at what I had been missing. I literally listened to this once a day for months back in the winter and spring of 2016 (IIRC).  I still see what it didn't knock my socks off initially, as I find the first two songs, Five Years and Soul Love, merely "very good," but once Moonage Daydream kicks in, the album kicks into high regard and is nothing but pure greatness until the final crescendo in Rock and Roll Suicide hits.

Bowie is one of those artists who music is a bit too strange for me at times, and some of his well known songs are somewhat bland and/or crappy (see: Changes), but this record was slammed out of the park.  A major classic, and one of the best records of the 70's.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2019, 08:39:48 AM »
 :corn

Couldn't tell you anything about this.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2019, 08:41:57 AM »
. It's the music equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.

I don't think Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated at all.

Oh, you.  :loser:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »
My problem with ANATO is the problem I have with Queen in general; it's varied and diverse, but almost randomly so.   I love the rockers, I love the ballads, but it sort of ping-pongs for me between the two and for me it's hard to get a rhythm going.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2019, 08:03:48 PM »
Couldn't name more than 5 Bowie songs. Never caught my interest.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2019, 08:10:13 PM »
My problem with ANATO is the problem I have with Queen in general; it's varied and diverse, but almost randomly so.   I love the rockers, I love the ballads, but it sort of ping-pongs for me between the two and for me it's hard to get a rhythm going.

Yeah, I agree with that take.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2019, 12:41:01 AM »

Yeah, I agree with that take.

Me too, as much as I like diversity and as influential and good as ANATO is, it doesn't really flow well as an album imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2019, 03:29:28 AM »
The only song I'm not crazy about is Sweet Lady. It's good and all, and is much needed in its spot on the record, but it doesn't stick with me like all the other songs.

I've often wondered if the drums on that song were very much a product of their time and if the song would've sounded much better without the rigid, stompy, almost childish sounding drum beat that goes throughout the verse.

It's the only poor song on an otherwise stellar record.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2019, 04:39:26 AM »
I was only ever a 'best of' fan wrt Bowie.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »
I was only ever a 'best of' fan wrt Bowie.

I think many of his hits being so underwhelming is why it took me so long to really dig into Bowie.

I always liked the three hits from the Let's Dance record growing up, and Space Oddity was always great, but the mainstays from the 70's I always heard on classic rock radio...

Changes...blech.

Rebel Rebel...decent.

Young Americans...pretty good.

Fame...awful.

And since no one in the various circle of friends I ran with in the 90's and early 00's was much of a Bowie fan, I had no one in my ear telling me to check out this album or that album. Only when I got online and got some recommendations from some peeps whose opinions I trusted did I finally give his discography its due attention.

It's the only poor song on an otherwise stellar record.

I like Sweet Lady, but I don't love it.  I would call A Night at the Opera their best album by a wide distance had it had a classic May rocker like Tie Your Mother Down, Fat Bottomed Girls or Hammer to Fall, rather than an average one like Sweet Lady. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
Bowie is complicated. This record has some really great songs, however I rarely spin a Bowie record nowadays. He's been one of the most influential musicians in the history of music because he always sought to innovate which provided some great stuff but also some more than forgettable songs. My favorite album by him is Earthling
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »

Except this^

Or this^

Yeah, I'm down with that analysis, Chad.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Jeff Beck)
« Reply #349 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

This record was sort of my introduction to jazz fusion, and going in I didn't know it was going to be so prevalent on the album; I was expecting an instrumental guitar hero-type record, but was pleasantly surprised when it was so much more.  Jeff Beck's playing, of course, is off the charts, but the atmosphere and mood throughout this album is so chill and so bad ass.  He has other great records, but I don't think he has ever topped or equaled this one.  This is a perfect record.