Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31513 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Aerosmith)
« Reply #280 on: July 27, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
Listening to Aerosmith on drugs> listening to Aerosmith clean
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #281 on: July 27, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »
 :lol

Tim's youth > Tim's later years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: July 27, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
What 70's rock isn't better with partaking in a little something...? :hat :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me

The Doobies are, for the most part, a greatest hits-type band for me, and what hits they are, but this is the one studio album by them that I own, and what an album is.  Any classic fan is going to know China Grove and Long Train Runnin', the latter of which is my favorite by the band, but the deep cuts on this album are stellar. Dark Eyed Cajun Woman and Clear As the Driven Snow are both tremendous songs, and I am really high on Evil Woman and Natural Thing as well.  I didn't get this album till maybe a year or two ago, but I am glad that I did.  Very worthy of its classic album status!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: The Doobies)
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
Not really in my wheelhouse but I did own The Best Of Vol 1 when I was a kid.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
I only know the radio hits.  Decent enough stuff, but they never wow'd me enough to dig deeper into them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »
That album made my Top 50.   Grew up listening to Doobies (both eras) as my Dad was big into them and they just stuck.

And that's an invite for a TAC edit if I have ever seen one  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
You have one too many "T"s in that sentence.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
When I think of the term Dad Rock, no other band, in my opinion, defines the term better than the Doobies.  Every time I hear a song of theirs, it makes me want to get into a 70’s muscle car, roll the windows down, take it to the streets and start rockin’ down the highway.  They were one of the few bands my dad and his brothers all agreed on, and a road trip staple in my childhood.  I vividly remember how excited my dad was when the classic lineup got back together in the late 80’s.  I also remember how much my dad loved the early 80’s farewell show.  We watched that constantly.  The Doobies knew how to rock and wrote some great tunes, and that riff on China Grove is one of the best of all time.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
Really good album.  I really like without you and clear as the driven snow.

Another good album by them is ‘what we’re once vices are now habits’.  The album cover shows the band in a live concert setting, but the album is a studio album that flows really well.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
Another Park Another Sunday is the only deep cut from that album that really grabbed me.  Daughters of the Sea was pretty good, too. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
You have one too many "T"s in that sentence.

Thanks Tim  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
Catching up.

Not familiar with Bitches Brew. I'll try and remedy that this week.

Toys in the Attic is a stone cold classic with stellar deep cuts. This and Rocks were on steady rotation in my teenage years and both have that overwhelming nostalgia element that I never tire of.

The Doobie's I've always enjoyed but not enough to actually purchase any of their albums.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: a jazz classic)
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
We move on...

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

This is one of those albums that was legendary, but Aerosmith was never more than a "hits" band for me.  I don't know half the songs on this album, and the two biggest songs didn't endure for me.  The title track is, IMO, the best song on the album.

The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me

The Doobies were the band on What's Happenin'? and that's about it.  If I know any of their songs besides China Groove, I can't think of them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »
Rockin Down the Highway?
Black Water?
Listen to the Music?
Takin it to the Streets?

They've got a handful that are still classic rock radio staples.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »
Rockin Down the Highway?
Black Water?
Listen to the Music?
Takin it to the Streets?

They've got a handful that are still classic rock radio staples.

Black Water for sure.  Takin' It to the Streets, maybe.  The other two don't ring a bell, but I can't say for sure.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »
Quote from: pg1067 link=topic=54052.msg2570641#msg2570641
The Doobies were the band on What's Happenin'?

Damn is the first reference to What's Happening in dtf.org history??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »

What's Happening!  The Thread.  Coming soon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »

It's a rerun anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Great album from the Doobies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2019, 03:58:51 PM »

It's a rerun anyway.

Hey, HEY, hey!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Oh man, I remember that episode!

Many years later, it took me forever to figure out what the song was where they play the instrumental section and the guy is bashing the gong.  The song is I Cheat the Hangman from Stampede.  Really nice deep cut.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2019, 10:13:24 PM »
I discovered What's Happening Now first. Then years later found out about What's Happening. I feel like I watched it some but other than being able to name the main three guys I cannot recall a thing about it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
I discovered What's Happening Now first. Then years later found out about What's Happening. I feel like I watched it some but other than being able to name the main three guys I cannot recall a thing about it.

The show only lasted 3 seasons.  The funny thing is that the three main actors were 27, 25 and 16 at the time the show premiered.  It's weird enough to have actors in their mid- to late 20s playing high school students (although a running joke on the show was that Rerun had been in high school for many more than four years and, during the Doobies' episode, Patrick Simmons mentioned that he remembered attending class with Rerun), but to be playing next to a kid who actually was in high school seems awfully odd in retrospect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Sabbath)
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

A classic in every sense of the word, despite the crappy cover.  It's funny because the riff to Iron Man was the first thing that made me take notice of Black Sabbath back in the early 90's, but it's become one of those good songs I rarely listen to these days. On the flip side, overplayed classics like War Pigs and the title track never get old; I still crank those like it's the first time hearing them.  And of course, my two favorites, Fairies Wear Boots and Hand of Doom, are what take it from being a good album to a great one.  I am also very high on Planet Caravan. The mood and atmosphere in that song is just incredible, and their ability to do songs like that so early on is one of the many things that made them so unique.  Terrific record. :metal :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Black Sabbath)
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2019, 10:51:37 PM »
The funny thing is that the three main actors were 27, 25 and 16 at the time the show premiered.

That's crazy. Decided to look it up but before I got there I knew it had to be Dwayne who was the 16 year old.

Never got in to Sabbath. When I was heavy in to JCP/NWA in the 80s, nothing blew my mind quite like the Road Warriors coming to the ring to the sounds of Iron Man.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2019, 11:38:09 PM »

It's a rerun anyway.

Hey, HEY, hey!
It's FAAAAAAAAT Albert!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2019, 05:01:42 AM »
Paranoid was probably my indoctrination to true classic Heavy Metal.  Not sure why I never dove deep into Sabbath after discovering this album, but for some reason I didn't - and regret it.  This is a deadly album.  I'd say Electric Funeral is my fave outside of the big-3.  I ought to spin this later today, as it's been ages since I have listened to it.

Offline Art

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Sabbath)
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

A classic in every sense of the word, despite the crappy cover.  It's funny because the riff to Iron Man was the first thing that made me take notice of Black Sabbath back in the early 90's, but it's become one of those good songs I rarely listen to these days. On the flip side, overplayed classics like War Pigs and the title track never get old; I still crank those like it's the first time hearing them.  And of course, my two favorites, Fairies Wear Boots and Hand of Doom, are what take it from being a good album to a great one.  I am also very high on Planet Caravan. The mood and atmosphere in that song is just incredible, and their ability to do songs like that so early on is one of the many things that made them so unique.  Terrific record. :metal :metal

Absolute classic, even though this is the BS album i listen to the least nowadays, since i'm kind of burned out on most of it. But yeah, classic for a reason, great fucking record.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2019, 06:53:43 AM »
The most dangerous boy in my 3rd grade class introduced me to this most dangerous of albums. We were friends for many years because of that!

And of course, my two favorites, Fairies Wear Boots and Hand of Doom, are what take it from being a good album to a great one.

I share your love of Hand of Doom, as we've discussed recently. But don't forget...

I'd say Electric Funeral is my fave outside of the big-3.  I ought to spin this later today, as it's been ages since I have listened to it.

:2metal::2metal:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2019, 08:00:39 AM »
One of two Sabbath albums I actually own. Good record. Sabbath has never been heavy or fast enough for my taste but I like this one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
Add this to my long list between this and the 80s thread of bands I enjoy but don't actually own any albums yet know probably half the songs off this and really enjoy it.  They played 6/8 of the tracks on their final tour that I saw and was surprised how good they overall really sounded.  And yea, like Kat, they are bit plodding for me to truly love and ever get into more than I probably already have, but they are iconic. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
#SpinningNow

Generals gathered in their maaaaaassseess!!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Generals gathered in their maaaaaassseess!!!

:metal :metal