Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31501 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Kansas)
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
TAC is a caricature of TAC at this point. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »
More likely verbal diarrhea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
Stay on topic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »
There's something about Kansas that leaves me with blue balls. To me, they'd be much better a lot heavier.

At the risk of making it very awkward, I share TAC's feeling on this.  I SHOULD like it, but - and Styx is the same way - it doesn't do it for me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »
Ah, 1976! What a great year for music, and Leftoverture was a huge part of it. I was barely 15 and this album was fighting for equal time on my Garrard turntable with 2112. Ultimately, 2112 won, but just barely. I dig every song on this album and in spite of what TAC and Stadler say, it rocks hard. That's the best thing about Kansas, they were very much art rock (that's what we called it before we called it prog) oriented but they always remembered to rock.

In the end, not my favorite Kansas album but on most days it's in second place.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »
Good point!  The album sure does rock pretty hard at times.

And I still maintain that at his peak, Steve Walsh was THE best rock singer ever.  It's just too bad that his peak was so short due to his addiction to cigarettes, which ruined that perfect voice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
Old friend LudwigVan, whose opinion I respect more than any other when it comes to music, cites Walsh as his favorite singer. Personally, I don't hear it.

I love Carry On My Wayward Sun, but even though they may rock, they never really raaaawwwwwkkkk. That's not a knock on them. They are really a "just miss" band for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »
You are a bit inconsistent, Tim. Every Kansas album in the 70s had multiple songs that rock harder than anything Alice Cooper ever produced in the 70s. That’s not to say that AC didn’t rock...but he was light weight compared to Kansas.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2019, 06:57:03 PM »
Inconsistent? Personal attack reported! :lol

Look, I don't want to be in a position to slag on Kansas. They're an amazing band. I have their classic albums, including Leftoverture.
And Leftoverture is an excellent album.

And to be clear, I am not trying to be negative. I'm just conversing about why I have trouble getting into Kansas.

There's two main reasons. The first is I actually find Steve Walsh quite boring. He really doesn't do anything for me. I'm not saying he sucks or anything. I'm just saying that I just don't engage with him.

The second is that, yes, while they certainly do rock, to me, there's just something missing. Like I keep waiting for something to happen that never comes. I like my music a bit more guitar driven.

As far as Alice Cooper as a comparison. Sure you could say that Leftoverture is actually "heavier" than Goes To Hell, but I find Alice Cooper a generally fulfilling experience, whereas I don't have that same sensation with Kansas. Not sure I can make that sound sensible.

People like what they like.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »
Saw Kansas Saturday. They were amazing, even though Walsh isn't there, I wouldn't want him to be if his voice is that shot. Ronnie Platt does a great job both vocally and keyboard wise. Ted Leonard also does great, as does their lead Zak Rizvi.

Wish they would've played Magnum Opus though. Cheyenne Anthem has to be my favorite from this album, along with The Wall. I barely really dug into their albums 2 years ago when I bought Leftoverture, Masque, and Song For America.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »
Kansas rocks in a good way, not in a generic Thin Lizzy kinda way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »
There's nothing generic about Thin Lizzy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »
There's nothing generic about Thin Lizzy.

Not sure I can make that sound sensible.

:tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2019, 07:25:45 PM »
Never got in to Kansas beyond the radio staples. No idea why.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:20 PM »
TAC's right on this.  I can't put it into words any better than he can, but there was just something about them that was... good not great.   It was a 9 out of 10.  It was a 5-6-7-8-9 straight instead of a full house.   It was a Target model instead of a Victoria Secret model.   It was a sirloin instead of a filet mignon.    It was a Yuengling instead of a Guiness.   it was a...

If I'm going to put on classic 70's rock it's going to be Aerosmith, Cheap Trick or Alice Cooper.   And if I want proggier (and still American) I'm going Allman Brothers or the Dixie Dregs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Actually Stads, I consider Kansas great, not good. But I just can't fully latch on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
I'm not going to quibble with that; they're all players.  Kerry Livgren is the real deal.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
Oh boy, is Hef ever going to box your ears when he reads this. Both you and Stads are in big trouble.  :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2019, 06:58:29 AM »
Had a spin of Leftoverture yesterday, along with Point of Know Return.  I prefer the latter.  Kansas was one of those acts that I didn't dig in to when discovering classic rock in my teens.  To that end, other bands left an indelible imprint on me in ways that Kansas (and others .. ELP, Alan Parsan's, Cooper, MSG etc....) never did/will.  Great album, sure... but when I'm in a fix for 70s, I'll go to the Who, or Zeppelin, or Elton, or Boston, or .... insert a lot of others.  I'm sure we're all the same way in that regard - some left a mark on our musical DNA; some didn't.

Kansas falls into the latter for me, despite being really great music.  It's not that they don't click with me the way Tim/Bill state, it's just that I didn't give them a chance at the right time to be part of my 70s A List.  They're on (my personal) B+List.

If that makes any sense.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
It was a Target model instead of a Victoria Secret model.

I'll agree with this analogy.  Kansas had meat on its bones (both literally and figuratively).  It had substance and was not scrawny, shapeless and rail thin.  (VS models are, for the most part, gross).

It was a sirloin instead of a filet mignon.    It was a Yuengling instead of a Guiness.

I'd say Kansas is one of those 72 ounce steaks that you get for free if you can finish it (but with the added bonus that it won't make you sick).  Kansas is definitely the meat and potatoes of 70s prog rock, and Kansas is most definitely a Guiness.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:29:02 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
Had a spin of Leftoverture yesterday, along with Point of Know Return.  I prefer the latter.  Kansas was one of those acts that I didn't dig in to when discovering classic rock in my teens.  To that end, other bands left an indelible imprint on me in ways that Kansas (and others .. ELP, Alan Parsan's, Cooper, MSG etc....) never did/will.  Great album, sure... but when I'm in a fix for 70s, I'll go to the Who, or Zeppelin, or Elton, or Boston, or .... insert a lot of others.  I'm sure we're all the same way in that regard - some left a mark on our musical DNA; some didn't.

Kansas falls into the latter for me, despite being really great music.  It's not that they don't click with me the way Tim/Bill state, it's just that I didn't give them a chance at the right time to be part of my 70s A List.  They're on (my personal) B+List.

If that makes any sense.

I get what you mean.  I know some didn't like them a lot because Kansas had that American wall of sound and wasn't as "airy" as the European prog of the early to mid 70's.  Plus, I read once that some Europeans felt that prog rock/art rock/whatever it was called back then was "their" genre, and didn't like the idea of an American band hitching their wagon to it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

I admittedly don't listen to this album that much, or jazz in general, but I have a great appreciation for it, and I remember getting this on CD about 15 years or so ago and being thrilled with how good it was.  I will have to give this a fresh spin.  Will be interesting to see if there are any fans here.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:02 AM »
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

I admittedly don't listen to this album that much, or jazz in general, but I have a great appreciation for it, and I remember getting this on CD about 15 years or so ago and being thrilled with how good it was.  I will have to give this a fresh spin.  Will be interesting to see if there are any fans here.
I'm a fan of Miles, but not of this album. I prefer In A Silent Way (released right before Bitches Brew) a lot more. Bitches Brew is a mess IMHO (although there were some good ideas on it and I don't want to deny that it is a classic and sparked jazz fusion, along with In A Silent Way)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1973 album featured on 7/20/19)
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »
Weekend forum traffic is always a bit slower, fool. :lol :lol

Apparently so are Thursdays!  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: a jazz classic)
« Reply #270 on: July 26, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »
Birth Of The Cool, for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: a jazz classic)
« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
We move on...

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

I can't remember when I first heard this album (later 90's, I think), but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Even though I knew it was highly-regarded, I had reached fatigue with this band thanks to their endless stream of 90's hits, the majority of which didn't do a whole lot for me, but this record made me a fan again.  Deep cuts like You See Me Crying, No More No More and Uncle Salty are some of my favorite songs by the band, and of course Sweet Emotion and Walk This Way are timeless classics for a reason.  Good, good stuff.  :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Aerosmith)
« Reply #272 on: July 26, 2019, 06:39:20 PM »
I know a few of their 70s hits, though I only like one of them. But couldnt say what songs are on what album. Anyway, they suck. Not sure how they survived as long as they did, especially prior to having videos of scantily clad women prolonged their career.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: July 26, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
I rank Toys 6th out of the first 6 albums.

Offline max_security

« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2019, 06:58:05 PM »
I couldn't stand blues - based stuff  ( mostly ) way back when ( 1980's ). After 30 some years I started to rethink my attitude toward songs like " Toys in the Attic " and some others from them. Then I watched the Kansas documentary a few years ago , the story about AS cutting power on a Kansas show re- lit my " no thanks " attitude toward them. Too many other good bands from any era for that nonsense.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2019, 04:43:26 AM »
See, I'm the opposite of Kev. I first heard Aerosmith with their ... "resurgence" via the duet with Run DMC.  Wasn't a big fan of that, but then Permanent Vacation came out, and the singles were good enough to get me to purchase it.  I love Pump and Get a Grip, and got the Pandora's Box set.  Wasn't impressed with it. Ultimately, I was never motivated enough to go into their pre-Perm Vaca catalogue.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2019, 06:07:04 AM »
I went through a large chunk of Aerosmith's catalog a while back and my favorite period of theirs was Pump - Get A Grip - Nine Lives, but that was also when I first discovered them as a kid.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »
I think Toys is a good Aerosmith album (as is Rocks, which came out a year later). My first Aerosmith album I ever listened to was Live! Bootleg btw (that's worth checking out too IMHO)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
See, I'm the opposite of Kev. I first heard Aerosmith with their ... "resurgence" via the duet with Run DMC.  Wasn't a big fan of that, but then Permanent Vacation came out, and the singles were good enough to get me to purchase it.  I love Pump and Get a Grip, and got the Pandora's Box set.  Wasn't impressed with it. Ultimately, I was never motivated enough to go into their pre-Perm Vaca catalogue.

Actually, that is when I first heard of Aerosmith as well.  I didn't hear the original Walk This Way till years later.

I never actually owned a studio album by this band until I got Toys in the Attic in the later 90's, so all I knew for years by them were the hits.  Some of those hits in the 90's were so blech, like Amazing, Pink, Blind Man and I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, the last of which has apparently held up as one of their three or four most well known songs ever.  *cue the vomit emoticon*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »
Aerosmith on drugs > Aerosmith clean.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC