Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31204 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1979 album featured on 7/14/19)
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »
Well yes of course I have. I don't live under a damn rock. Well not a large one anyway.. :lol

But like Joel, Petty and Meatloaf, all I have heard are the hits. These are three albums that I have never actually listened to all the way through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
You keep posting but I bet you haven't queued up the record!  :lol BOOH is totally worth the time going through at least once.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »
Hey, don't push your luck.  :lol  Tonight I ran through Damn the Torpedos. And fucking Rhapsody!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
I can settle with that.  :lol :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
Apparently Bat Out Of Hell was too long to fit on the vinyl, so it was speeded up. Meat Loaf reckons he can't listen to it as to him it sounds like Marvin and the Chipmunks*.

*Yes, I know it was Alvin and the Chipmunks, but Meat Loaf's real name is Marvin, and I was trying to be funny... I'll get me coat.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
I like Petty, but honestly, I think he's overrated.  I hesitate to use that word, because I get it, he's the real deal, but he gets mentioned so often in the same breath as Dylan and George Harrison (primarily because of the Traveling Wilburys) but he's not at that level, IMO. 

Sme here; his album is good, but it's not at the level of Who's Next, The Stranger, and Bat (and honestly, none of his do, not even Full Moon Fever). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:25 AM »
I've never owned a Tom Petty album other than shortly after he passed, I bought a 2-disk collection.  I was familiar with the hits and always liked them quite a bit.  That collection also had quite a few deeper cuts.  I have to say, as much as I liked the hits, I don't think even a single one of the deep cuts did anything for me at all.  I guess I'm just a casual fan.  And I'm okay with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
I like Petty, but honestly, I think he's overrated.  I hesitate to use that word, because I get it, he's the real deal, but he gets mentioned so often in the same breath as Dylan and George Harrison (primarily because of the Traveling Wilburys) but he's not at that level, IMO. 

You know who's overrated? Dylan. Seriously, is he responsible for anything remotely popular after 1970.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »
I don't know why, but as I was getting into rock/popular music in the first half of the 80s, Petty always struck me as a second-class artist.  Don't know why.  His voice annoys me slightly less than Dylan's, but only slightly.

Bat out of Hell is one of those albums that had a huge reputation that I knew about without ever having heard any songs.  But I never got into it, and I'm like Tim with the never having listened to the whole thing and am without any familiarity with any of the songs.  I've heard bits and pieces here and there but never felt the need to go any further -- even after buying BOOH 2 in the late 80s because a girl I was dating loved "Anything for Love."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »

You know who's overrated? Dylan. Seriously, is he responsible for anything remotely popular after 1970.

Dude, Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Even I know that.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
The ONLY Bob Dylan song I have EVER heard is Like A Rolling Stone (I'm not even sure that's the title.) I have been listening to the radio since 1980 and that's it. I honestly don't think I have actually heard Knocking On Heaven's Door. I mean I must have but I can't recall.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2019, 02:00:34 PM »
The ONLY Bob Dylan song I have EVER heard is Like A Rolling Stone (I'm not even sure that's the title.) I have been listening to the radio since 1980 and that's it. I honestly don't think I have actually heard Knocking On Heaven's Door. I mean I must have but I can't recall.

You've never even heard the GnR cover? :facepalm: Every time I think you've said the most surprising thing, you find a way to one-up yourself. Never change  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »

Dude, Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Even I know that.  :lol

Yeah, but that shouldn't count in this conversation since GnR covered it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »

You've never even heard the GnR cover? :facepalm: Every time I think you've said the most surprising thing, you find a way to one-up yourself. Never change  :lol

K-Lox, Of course I have heard the GnR version. I posted quite a bit when you listed the Illusion albums in your Top 50 thread. I only saw them on the Illusion tour 4 times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »

Dylan, to me, is like the Sex Pistols and Velvet Underground: influential, sure, but I'd rather shave my head with a cheese knife while chewing on tin foil before listening to any of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »

K-Lox, Of course I have heard the GnR version. I posted quite a bit when you listed the Illusion albums in your Top 50 thread. I only saw them on the Illusion tour 4 times.

Well then you've heard the song!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
But I've never heard the DYLAN VERSION!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »

You've had 46 years to hear the Dylan version!!  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
But when would I have ever heard it if it wasn't played on the radio? My point is that if he was so popular and influential, I should've at least ran into a song or two of his at some point, and it just never happened.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
But when would I have ever heard it if it wasn't played on the radio? My point is that if he was so popular and influential, I should've at least ran into a song or two of his at some point, and it just never happened.

Dude if you haven't heard Knockin' On Heaven's Door that is entirely your fault.  Take a few minutes and go listen. :lol Love ya TAC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily listen to a Dylan song when there are vastly superior covers available.  ???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
Oh God no, I have no interest. 

I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily listen to a Dylan song when there are vastly superior covers available.  ???
Exactly.

My point is that in all of my years, I've never heard ANY Dylan on the radio. I grew up on rock or classic rock radio and Dylan was never represented.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »
I started typing up something about being familiar with the roots of the song and the original artist's version and I could feel Stadler channeled through my fingertips.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Oh God no, I have no interest. 

Exactly.

My point is that in all of my years, I've never heard ANY Dylan on the radio. I grew up on rock or classic rock radio and Dylan was never represented.

Okay, I think Dylan sucks, so I'm not defending him as a brilliant musician or anything.  But you never having heard him is a TAC issue, not a "Dylan isn't popular" issue.  He was (and is) played on radio plenty. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
But only Like A Rolling Stone is played.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2019, 02:49:16 PM »
I started typing up something about being familiar with the roots of the song and the original artist's version and I could feel Stadler channeled through my fingertips.  :lol

:lol  Well, I disagree with Stadler on that.  There are tons of covers I would MUCH rather listen to than the originals, and many where I would go even farther and say that I don't care for the originals at all.  For example:
-I would rather listen to this than James Taylor.
-I would rather listen to this than Procol Harem.
-I would rather listen to this than the Kinks.
...and so on.  And I chose those specifically because I did not hear the originals until YEARS after I first heard the covers.  And while I like those covers immensely, I have no desire to hear the originals at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: July 15, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
I would rather listen to anything than James Taylor. Well, except for maybe Bob Dylan..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
TAC, the non-senile adults are talking.  Do I need to send you to BINGO so we can have a conversation?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »

I don't think it's an understatement to say I've heard 10 times as many covers of Dylan songs by other artists than I've heard Dylan recordings.  If I've heard Dylan's version of "Knockin'," I don't recall it (and I have never listed to radio stations that are likely to play it), and GnR's version makes me want to vomit, so I don't think it would be improved by swapping out Crapxl Rose for Dylan.

By the way, TAC, thanks for taking most of the heat for guys like us.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »

:lol  Well, I disagree with Stadler on that.  There are tons of covers I would MUCH rather listen to than the originals, and many where I would go even farther and say that I don't care for the originals at all.  For example:
-I would rather listen to this than James Taylor.
-I would rather listen to this than Procol Harem.
-I would rather listen to this than the Kinks.
...and so on.  And I chose those specifically because I did not hear the originals until YEARS after I first heard the covers.  And while I like those covers immensely, I have no desire to hear the originals at all.

Well I'm not arguing that the originals are better, just that it's not a bad idea to at least hear the original version if only to know what the cover in question did differently. Plenty of covers I like way more than the original (and GnR's cover is one of them, as is their Live And Let Die cover and Sympathy for the Devil cover).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
No, I get that.  But I'm going even farther and saying that, to someone who really dislikes the original artist, there's no reason at all to listen to the originals.  For someone who can't stand Dylan, there's no reason to listen to his version at all.  Just simply enjoy the GnR version and call it a day.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
I own Petty's 6 CD box set and it is amazing. Saw him twice live and while the band crafts perfect short rock songs, they extend songs where Mike Campbell tears ut up. Man, I never knew how amazing a guitarist he was until seeing them live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Time to throw some read meat to TAC, the biggest, and possibly only, Thin Lizzy fan on the east coast. ;)

I only know the hits from this, but they are all solid tunes.  Maybe I will listen to the whole thing if someone other than TAC can sell me on it...go!  :hat