Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31468 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 03:16:28 PM »
She's Always A Woman (c'mon; easily half of you have dated that girl)

"That girl"?

Marlo Thomas?

Seriously, I quickly looked at the lyrics for this song and have no idea what that means.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
I never bought any Tull other than a greatest hits album.  I always wanted to like Tull better but, while the hits are great, I could never quite get past the casual fan status.

This kind of sums me up.  I got their double CD best-of that came out in the 90's and by and large that is all I need from them, with the exception of Aqualung.  I also have Thick as a Brick, which I love for about 10-15 minutes and then I get bored.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
Same.  Though I have the Steven Wilson remaster of Aqualung.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
I have never liked Iron Maiden's cover of Cross Eyed Mary. Not when I was 14, and not now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »
I say this as a pretty big IM fan... I can't say for certain I've ever heard them do Cross-Eyed Mary.

This kind of sums me up.  I got their double CD best-of that came out in the 90's....

If it's the one I had, it was a pretty good collection.  I listened to it a lot in my big classic rock phase. Never owned any other of their albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »
She's Always A Woman (c'mon; easily half of you have dated that girl)

"That girl"?

Marlo Thomas?

Seriously, I quickly looked at the lyrics for this song and have no idea what that means.

Then you're luckier than I am.  That's all I can say.  But for more clarity:  https://www.onefinalserenade.com/shes-always-a-woman.html

(Learned something new every day department:  supposedly this was one of the last songs playing over the intercom speakers in the World Trade Center before it's collapse.)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2019, 01:14:08 PM »
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong but are we going to talk about 70s music without any mention of Heart, Fleetwood Mac, The Allman Brothers?  Nuh uh... :P

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline max_security

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong but are we going to talk about 70s music without any mention of Heart, Fleetwood Mac, The Allman Brothers?  Nuh uh... :P

Right after Grand Funk Railroad , Steve Miller and Yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Patience, fellow music fans. There are many great albums and we will hit them all. :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
All??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
Patience, fellow music fans. There are many great albums and we will hit them all. :tup :tup

Even this one?!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
What in the fucking all hell is that? :lol

Offline pg1067

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell

This feels like this is one of those classics that never gets talked about anymore, but its status is well-deserved. Anybody with a pulse knows Paradise by the Dashboard Light, which is good naughty fun, but the title track is pretty killer as well.  Todd Rungren's guitar work throughout is really good.  Meat Loaf occasionally goes a little too over the top with his vocals, but it sure does work sometimes, and let's face it, his vocals being up in the stratosphere is much of the appeal of his music.  This felt like a good album to feature "on a hot summer night..." :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
Not sure what to say...

…..let me sleep on it. I'll give you an answer in the morning.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
That's the spirit! :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2019, 08:28:36 PM »
I would've loved to have heard what Jim Steinman actually accomplished with Def Leppard after Pyromania.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
It's weird. I love the singles of this album yet I never owned it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
It's weird. I love the singles of this album yet I never owned it.

Same here, though I don't think as highly of Paradise.... as many other fans do. The Rizzuto part is just... eh, brings the song down for me.

Also, doing quick research here... curious as to who did the female vox on Paradise... so I find out she was the DA on Night Court before Markie Post. That is the most fascinating thing I learned all week.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
I never owned this album either!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

Fuckin' Ken, man.   King and I saw him open for Sha Na Na back on the Gold Tour in '79.  Sweet. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
Bat Out of Hell is a masterpiece. I'll probably say an heresy if I say that, all things considered, the second one is my favorite, but this album is killer and is absolutely deserving of the status it has.

Title track is one of the best songs ever of the genre, period. The Classic Rock Show has made an absolutely amazing cover, do yourself a favor and check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVQ0qmhXFQ

Paradise of course is the funny and memorable track, the back and forth is hilarious. Nevermind that the guy is so hellbent on sleeping with the girl, and yet he agrees to stay with her forever and ever and actually goes through with it  :lol

For Crying Out Loud is overlooked maybe, but it's a monster of a track and the final crescendo is an amazing closure to such a bombastic album.

All Revved Up is another great rocker, and while I know that 2/3 and Took the Words are among his most famous songs, I never really clicked with them. Sure, they're great, but I can do without just fine.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
BOOH is just one of those records that is FUN.  It's not about the singing or the playing or the orchestration, or the time signatures, it's just FUN.  I never actually bought it, then or now (though, oddly, it's in my CD collection; I think I picked it up from a girl along the way) but it's one of those albums you can't complain about when one of the songs comes on. 

I'm also a big fan of Meat, the man.   He coached his daughter's softball team at the high school in the next town over and there were always rumblings and rumors of Meat sightings, though I never actually saw him myself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
Yeah this is a very fun album. I own this and BOOH 2 on CD but I don't think BOOH 2 is nearly as entertaining as the first album. This is just good fun theatrical rock.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
For a long portion of my teenage years, bat outta Hell was my desert-island album. The opening and closing tunes are god-tier for me, and the middle 5 are all top shelf.

Bats 2 was 1/2 killer, 1/2 not-so-much, but still super enjoyable.

We'll all pretended that Meat never did The Monster is Loose.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »

Fuckin' Ken, man.   King and I saw him open for Sha Na Na back on the Gold Tour in '79.  Sweet.

Solid Gold maybe. Lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »

Right after Grand Funk Railroad , Steve Miller and Yes.
And Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes

Tom Petty is not really someone you think of, or least I don't, when thinking of multiple classic albums, since his many hits and well-known classics are spread out over so many albums and years, but this is pretty much always considered one of his three true classic albums (the other two being from the 80's and 90's), and I can see why.  It has three of his most well-known early "hits," a really good rock radio tune in Even the Losers, and the deep cuts are all solid tunes that make this a very nice overall album.  I am not sure I personally would call it a great album or a classic, but I do like it, and it is highly-regarded enough to feature here. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (1979 album featured on 7/14/19)
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2019, 10:47:49 AM »
I was only a 'best-of' fan of Tom Petty... with or without the Heartbreakers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »
I was only a 'best-of' fan of Tom Petty... with or without the Heartbreakers.

Me too. And even calling myself a "fan" is a stretch. I remember considering buying this album solely because it had Refugee on it, my favorite song of his, but in the end, I rarely bought albums based on liking one song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
I am generally a "best of" guy when it comes to Petty as well, but Damn the Torpedoes, Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers are all worth digging deep.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »
The third album in a row here that I have never listened to.

Just ran through it. Not much worth anything beyond the 4 hits. Louisiana Rain is interesting though.

Really reminds me of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
The third album in a row here that I have never listened to.

Just ran through it. Not much worth anything beyond the 4 hits. Louisiana Rain is interesting though.

Really reminds me of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy.

You've never listened to BOOH? Dude...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
Nope. I never owned it, and none of my friends ever owned it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
Nope. I never owned it, and none of my friends ever owned it.

But you've never heard the title track? Or Paradise By The Dashboard Light? Bruh. Go listen!