Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40548 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #630 on: August 20, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
Yeah, well there's no complaining in this thread anyway. :P

TAC blows.

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #631 on: August 20, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
no, rather discovering (to me anyway, I found albums I didn't listen to or hear about or own) and that's nice isn't it
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »

TAC blows.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #634 on: August 20, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
let's try again: I'm totally fine with anyone saying I suck as a person :D (because it's accurate), but does anyone here suck? I don't know and I won't judge. Oh, one general question: Seeing as it seems to be encouraged that users post what they think are memorable albums, can you accept some of my favourites? I'd seriously love to at some point.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:52:32 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: August 20, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Max, K-lox is just ribbing me. It's totally cool.

And any ribbing you saw in his Top 50 thread was all in good fun and friendship.

I'd love to have you do a Top 50. Usually those threads are respectful. Sure you'll list DT12 and you might get a page of WTF's, but it's all good.
Usually if it's someone I don't know very well (re:you), I'd see the first few albums listed and if I don't have any connection, I'll just leave the thread alone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: August 20, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
My top 50 was pretty much all unpopular albums around these parts and I took it all in stride. Tastes are weird. :) I'd love to see a top 50 from you, Max.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #637 on: August 20, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
My top 50 was pretty much all unpopular albums around these parts and I took it all in stride. Tastes are weird. :) I'd love to see a top 50 from you, Max.
you posted a Toto album though. Good boy, we're in business :D. Seriously though, I may make one. (it's hard to pick 50 albums out of close to 5000 and increasing, I'll tell you that much)

One of the (many) 80s albums I would feature there will be featured now too and that is: Steely Dan: Gaucho
7 songs, all the top players of all of the USA at the time being tortured by perfectionists like myself and what you get is one of the greatest 80's records of all time (IMHO) Some say it sounds sterile, but I love it. Wonderfully acerbic and comedic lyrics by Don Fagen too. Well worth checking out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: August 20, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
I keep telling people that Toto is where it's at but nobody believes me unless they've already seen the light...

Gaucho. That and Aja are two Steely Dan albums I must play, apparently.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #639 on: August 20, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »
you posted a Toto album though.

That was the weird part! :neverusethis:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #640 on: August 20, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
I keep telling people that Toto is where it's at but nobody believes me unless they've already seen the light...

Gaucho. That and Aja are two Steely Dan albums I must play, apparently.
Aja is great too (of course), but it's a lot looser (in touch and feel and everything) so it's easier to digest for most people. Lovely though, both of them (although I'd encourage you to check out their entire discography as it's great all around. I don't like Keith Carlock's involvement in Everything Must Go too much, but it's alright as he does less "damage" as it were than in Toto XIV. Far less.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: August 20, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
But I really like Toto XIV!  :(

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #642 on: August 20, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »
which I fully respect. "damage" was ""ed for this very reason.  I wish Jeff had played on it :( (he played on Gaucho though, and Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: August 20, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
which I fully respect. "damage" was ""ed for this very reason.  I wish Jeff had played on it :( (he played on Gaucho though, and Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied)

Why didn't you say that earlier, man?! Now I'm sold. Bumped those up as priority listens now!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #644 on: August 20, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »

Why didn't you say that earlier, man?! Now I'm sold. Bumped those up as priority listens now!!
because suspense, tension and release are key factors of most music, mate :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: August 20, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »

Yeah, but I could easily say the same thing about U2, but I would certainly not refer to them as merely solid even though I can't really get into them.

Does anyone really refer to U2 as solid?  It's either "I love U2 and I am a big fan" or "U2 sucks, Bono is a wanker and the Edge can't play." :lol :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #646 on: August 20, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »
The Number of the Beast is a great album no question about it.  However, if I were to recommend Iron Maiden to a potential new fan, Piece of Mind would be my choice.  One of my all-time favs.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: August 20, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »

Yeah, but I could easily say the same thing about U2, but I would certainly not refer to them as merely solid even though I can't really get into them.

Does anyone really refer to U2 as solid?  It's either "I love U2 and I am a big fan" or "U2 sucks, Bono is a wanker and the Edge can't play." :lol :lol

I'm not in either of those camps. I'm not into them, but I respect them, and calling them solid is insulting to them.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #648 on: August 20, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »

this is me being neutral: I own most U2 albums and I think Edge does a great job of using his massive racks of effects units to his utmost advantage and I guess you have to be exact and exacting in order for that to work out well. So in that respect. I'm sure he's a good player. I've never seen him doing sweep picking or play 32nds but that would be out of place in U2's music and it wouldn't make sense with them IMHO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #649 on: August 20, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »

This is just anecdotal, but probably MOST of the people I have ever heard talk about U2, from the '80s to the present, have been rather middle-of-the-road on them, along the lines of "Yeah, great band.  Not one of my favorites, but they're pretty solid."  I have definitely heard people on the extremes you mention.  But most are more down the middle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: August 20, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
this is me being neutral: I own most U2 albums and I think Edge does a great job of using his massive racks of effects units to his utmost advantage and I guess you have to be exact and exacting in order for that to work out well. So in that respect. I'm sure he's a good player. I've never seen him doing sweep picking or play 32nds but that would be out of place in U2's music and it wouldn't make sense with them IMHO.

Exactly, and I suspect most guitarists who are considered great "players" wouldn't have the restraint needed to play U2's music.  Sometimes, it's what you do not play more than what you do.  I hate this idea that you have to shred, being a great soloist and/or do all kind of crazy technical stuff to be great.  The Edge created his own sound and is largely responsible for the musical sound one of the biggest rock bands ever.  If that isn't greatness, I don't what it is.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #651 on: August 20, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
The Number of the Beast is a great album no question about it.  However, if I were to recommend Iron Maiden to a potential new fan, Piece of Mind would be my choice.  One of my all-time favs.
this is what I suggested to those who were interested too

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #652 on: August 20, 2019, 03:43:14 PM »
The Police - Synchronicity

Songs:

-Synchronicity I
-Walking in Your Footsteps
-O My God
-Mother
-Miss Gradenko
-Synchronicity II
-Every Breath You Take
-King of Pain
-Wrapped Around Your Finger
-Tea in the Sahara
-Murder by Numbers

This is a bit of a strange album for me in a couple of respects. 

First off, it's a bit out of the ordinary in that it had 4 hit singles, and they are ALL on the back half of the album (well, ok, Synchronicity II is actually the midpoint, since there are 11 songs).  That's just NOT a typical album sequencing.  And thinking back, I can't even really remember how the first 5 songs go. 

Second, it kinda felt like this album was preordained to be better than it actually is.  What I mean by that is this:  The album was definitely good.  I know I liked it.  But I never felt that it was great.  And I never knew anyhow who thought it was great.  But I remember it being wildly hyped before AND after its release as one of the greatest albums ever. 

In any case, solid album.  I still enjoy the singles when I hear them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
The Police - Synchronicity

Songs:

-Synchronicity I
-Walking in Your Footsteps
-O My God
-Mother
-Miss Gradenko
-Synchronicity II
-Every Breath You Take
-King of Pain
-Wrapped Around Your Finger
-Tea in the Sahara
-Murder by Numbers

This is a bit of a strange album for me in a couple of respects. 

First off, it's a bit out of the ordinary in that it had 4 hit singles, and they are ALL on the back half of the album (well, ok, Synchronicity II is actually the midpoint, since there are 11 songs).  That's just NOT a typical album sequencing.  And thinking back, I can't even really remember how the first 5 songs go. 

Second, it kinda felt like this album was preordained to be better than it actually is.  What I mean by that is this:  The album was definitely good.  I know I liked it.  But I never felt that it was great.  And I never knew anyhow who thought it was great.  But I remember it being wildly hyped before AND after its release as one of the greatest albums ever. 

In any case, solid album.  I still enjoy the singles when I hear them.
this one and Ghost In The Machine are my favourite Police albums. Probably their two darkest and most complex albums as well. I love all three members as musicians and Stewart Copeland is one of my heroes as a drummer. (had it not been for him and The Police, I wouldn't play anymore today. Hell, I even wouldn't contribute here, because I wouldn't have been still alive. Sorry. Sorry. TMI.) That said, I like all their albums, but they experimented so much on these latter two albums that it makes for a thrill to listen to, for me anyway. Sadly, I never got to see them live and I would have loved to.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:52:37 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #654 on: August 20, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
Great, great album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #655 on: August 20, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »
Ok so I've never listened to Iron Maiden, is Number Of The Beast a good starting point?

As good as any. It's a solid record by a solid band, nothing more.

Nothing more?? You think you're a slick motherfucker don't you?

Haha, not at all, just giving my honest opinion. I have tried like hell to really like Iron Maiden, but outside of a few songs here and there, they usually leave me baffled and wondering what all of the hype is about.

I've seen them live several times and there are very few bands out there who can match Iron Maiden in concert.  Performance, stage presence, musicianship.  They are one of the all-time best.

this is what I suggested to those who were interested too

I think it's one of their best representations of catchy and accessible material. :tup

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #656 on: August 20, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »
Synchronicity was the first full length album I ever owned on vinyl, and remains one of my all-time favorites.  Fantastic from start to finish. 

It does seem a bit strange that three of the four singles were on Side 2 (Synchronicity II was the Side 1 closer), but it didn't to me at the time.  To me, it was just an album full of nothing but quality tunes.  The aforementioned Synchronicity II is still my favorite Police song, and with the title track, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Walking in Your Footsteps and O My God major favorites as well.  Even the oft-criticized Mother is fine within the flow and context of the record.

Great album, a true classic! :tup :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Alright I'm pumped to listen number and I'll start the four album run from there. Will report back tomorrow.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
Oh man I didn't see synchronicity. The police is such a weird band for me, there are songs I absolutely love such as "murder by numbers", "king of pain" and "every breath you take" but others like miss grandenko i hate with a passion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #659 on: August 20, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »
I'm not into The Police at all, which is a shame because Stewart Copeland is a beast. Synch II is a great song though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2019, 05:18:28 PM »
Had a Greatest Hits CD of theirs. Listened to it all the time, especially Wrapped Around Your Finger and King of Pain. Never bought a studio album though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #661 on: August 20, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
My brother got Ghost In The Machine in a Columbia House haul when we were kids.
I remember really liking Invisible Sun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: August 20, 2019, 05:47:56 PM »
Alright I'm pumped to listen number and I'll start the four album run from there. Will report back tomorrow.

If it doesn't click for whatever reason, please do yourself a favor and follow my advice regarding one of the two live releases I mentioned. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #663 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
It does seem a bit strange that three of the four singles were on Side 2 (Synchronicity II was the Side 1 closer), but it didn't to me at the time. 

In case it wasn't clear, let me clarify that it didn't bother me either.  I'm just observing that it's a bit odd, that's all.

Posting about this album makes me wish I owned a copy.  I need it.  It really is a very good album.

Fun fact:  I was actually going to post a completely different album, and realized it was released in 1978.  Which is odd given that the two singles I had in mind didn't get played in heavy rotation until a good 4 years later.  Weird.

Offline max_security

« Reply #664 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »
I remember that anything from Synchronicity sounded fantastic on the FM on my dads stereo. Any Police tune actually sounded great production - wise. Heck of a power - trio , Sting played a mean bass actually sounded like half of the band more often than not.