Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40490 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Don't recognize any of those Depeche Mode songs but that wasn't really my thing.

Liked Whitesnake's MTV hits never bought anything of theirs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
The thing about Whitesnake is that they're not Queen, they're more like AC/DC.  If you like Cryin' In The Rain, or "Still Of The Night", you're probably going to like the rest of the album.  The pre-American "Slide It In" (there is a UK version and a US version; the US version is the more "popular" one) era is all more bluesier, more Deep Purple-ish (and even had Jon Lord and Ian Paice for a while), while the post-American "Slide It In" era (to the present) is more what you think of when you think "Whitesnake", that is, Tawny Kitaen on the hood of a Mercedes.   

I happen to like both eras, because I like Coverdale's voice, but I find myself going back to the earlier stuff more frequently.  By the way, if anyone likes Whitesnake, find the "Starkers In Tokyo" CD; it's Adrian Vandenberg on acoustic guitar and David singing and his voice is just velvet, gold, silk, and macaroni and cheese all wrapped up in one.  That version of "Don't Fade Away" is one of my top five Whitesnake songs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »
And their highest charting song all the way to #21 on the Billboard charts.  B side to the single was Vital Signs live. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
find the "Starkers In Tokyo" CD; it's Adrian Vandenberg on acoustic guitar and David singing and his voice is just velvet, gold, silk, and macaroni and cheese all wrapped up in one.  That version of "Don't Fade Away" is one of my top five Whitesnake songs.

Found on Spotify (disc 2 on an album titled Unzipped - Super Deluxe Edition).

God bless you, good citizen.

'87 is a gem of an album.  Not a bad song on the tracklist.  All 5* in my opinion.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
'87 is a gem of an album.  Not a bad song on the tracklist.  All 5* in my opinion.

I would give everything on side 1 5*.  Side 2 would be more along the lines of 4* songs with 5* riffs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »
I had that Whitesnake album on cassette, but I've never owned it on CD or gone back to re-visit any of the non-hits.  The three big hits - Still of the Night, Here I Go Again and Is This Love? - are all still great.

I am unfamiliar with that record by Depeche Mode.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Music for the Masses is okay but is still too much on the electro-pop side of DP for my tastes. I'm a big fan of the dark, sometimes evil, side of Depeche Mode and not very many of these songs have that aesthetic. To Have and to Hold is about the only song that clearly has it but it's too short to make the album worthwhile for me. That said, I do like Little 15, Strangelove, and Nothing. Their next album onward is where it's at for me.

As for Whitesnake, I'm a big fan of Still of the Night. The rest of the album is enjoyable for an occasional Spotify listen. It certainly made a big splash when it came out, so it is appropriately classic.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline max_security

« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »
I never really dug Whitesnake too much but I did get to see John Sykes with Blue Murder back then and that was one of the best bands I have ever seen play.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2019, 09:42:25 PM »
To me, Whitesnake '87 is way overrated. Side 2 of it is quite forgettable. Still of the night is an amazing song, and I like the remade versions of Crying In The Rain and Here I Go Again, both on the earlier Saints And Sinners album.

John Sykes rules this version of Crying.

Also, Ainsley Dunbar is as solid as ever on this album.

Saw Whitesnake open for Motley Crue on this tour, but skipped the headlining tour. And honestly, IMO Whitesnake has been a revolving door shit show ever since.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #534 on: August 14, 2019, 12:48:17 AM »
Depeche Mode: They were really popular in Germany, so I know all of their hits because they were played on the radio all the time. I liked almost all of them, but never got beyind that.

Whitesnake: I am a big fan of the earlier bluesier Whitesnake, Ready an' Willing is my favorite. That said, 1987 is a great record although I agree with TAC that it's overrated. Still Of The Night is top notch, the rest ranges from great to passable. The new version of Here I Go Again is better than the original but the reworked Crying In The Rain has that absolutely silly shred solo section (look how fast I can shred, look how hard I can pound the drums - yeah I see, but can you do it interesting and musically?) that kinda ruins it for me.

And as often as I say that I don't care about lyrics, Coverdale has the most silly and bad lyrics of them all.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 14, 2019, 07:05:05 AM »

And as often as I say that I don't care about lyrics, Coverdale has the most silly and bad lyrics of them all.

His lyrics are a walking #MeToo moment. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: August 14, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »

So is his twitter  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #537 on: August 14, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »

I'm convinced he writes his lyrics with his dick.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #538 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:00 AM »
I'm not sure why it took you so long to figure that out.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #539 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »

When I first heard of Whitesnake I was young and naive. Now I'm not so young anymore.  :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: August 14, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
 :lol

Well, when we were younger we did think with it.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #541 on: August 14, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
:lol

Well, when we were younger we did think with it.  LOL
True.  I can honestly say that when I was young, I thought with David Coverdale's penis on many occasions.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
Yeah, but I thought Coverdale's lyrics blew back then. I thought it held them back, honestly.

I remember buying Slide It In (when it came out) and I was like WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #543 on: August 14, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
You think EVERYTHING blows.  Honestly, I don't even know why you bother to comment and wish you'd keep your thoughts to yourself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #544 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
Yeah, but I thought Coverdale's lyrics blew back then. I thought it held them back, honestly.

You bought an album called Slide It In and you were shocked by the lyrics that came with it?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: August 14, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
You think EVERYTHING blows.  Honestly, I don't even know why you bother to comment and wish you'd keep your thoughts to yourself.

WOW!

That's not true at all.  Seriously. There's plenty of Whitesnake I like. I was actually a big fan until this album, which I do like a lot. I just think this album rides a huge halo effect of a couple of songs.

I thought the Vai thing was weak though and could never really follow them after that. Just seemed like Coverdale And Random Dudes from that point on.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #546 on: August 14, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »

So...Slide It In and Slow and Easy aren't about auto repair?  And Spit It Out isn't about a bad experience at a fine restaurant?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #547 on: August 14, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »

We're about to head out for the day, so I don't have time to quote, but I did just go through this thread, and suffice to say...

I've only said one thing blows in this entire thread...Keel. And I stand by that. ;D
I called Don't Know What You've Got puke worthy...
I said I didn't care for The Thing That Should Not Be and I never cared for Khutulu either
I gently ribbed you on Corey Hart...But c'mon..Corey Hart? :lol
I questioned Prince's genius...but basically accepted his influence.

I have been complimentary on bands not in my wheelhouse like U2 and Duran Duran, and I think most of my comments in this thread have been pretty positive on the whole.

However, I have just noticed that this thread is an "appreciation" thread and not a "discussion" thread, so I will keep that in mind moving forward.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #548 on: August 14, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
Someone please sit TAC down and have him catch up on the past 30 years of entertainment Austin Powers style so he can find something that doesn't blow. ;)  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #549 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
I've only said one thing blows in this entire thread...Keel. And I stand by that. ;D

Yeah, well...okay, I'll totally give you that one.  And I'll double down on it.  :biggrin:

I gently ribbed you on Corey Hart...But c'mon..Corey Hart?

Corey Hart is awesome.  But given that this is a metal forum, I'll give you that one too. 

I called Don't Know What You've Got puke worthy...

Well, I wouldn't say this if I didn't consider you a friend.  And I mean this with all due love and respect.  But you are an idiot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #550 on: August 14, 2019, 10:34:02 AM »

Well, I wouldn't say this if I didn't consider you a friend.  And I mean this with all due love and respect.  But you are an idiot.

Aw...and that's all that matters! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #551 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
I'll *partially* side with Bosk on this... It seems more things 'blow' (or worse) for Tim is deemed as good (or better) - across all threads.  The only difference between him and most of us is he'll never miss an opportunity to tell everyone.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: August 14, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Too late.

We've already kissed and made up.

Pot stirrer.. :\

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: August 14, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »

Whether TAC is an idiot or not is up for discussion (I kid!! I kid!!) but this is not.  I thought this then too.   You could sort of explain away Number Of The Beast ("it's a dream!") or Suicide Solution ("it's a metaphor!") and for the most part, Diamond Dave and AC/DC had an element of humor, but there was no grey area about songs like "Spit It Out" (some of Scorpions lyrics - particularly those by Herman Rarebell - were the same way, though again, you could sort of explain it away as "something was lost in translation"). 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #554 on: August 14, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
Love 1987 but I was a huge Whitesnake fan anyway when that came along. I’d probably take Slide It In and Saints & Sinners over it but it’s a great album. Unfortunately, David’s voice had had its troubles by that time.

And Keel were a decent band, and their 1987 album is excellent, even if I’m the only one who thinks so 😀

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: August 14, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
TAC Rating Scale.

BLOWS- 10%
BLOWs - 20%
BLOws - 30%
BLows - 40%
Blows -  50%
Blows -  60%
blows -   70%
meh   -   80%
FUCKING BLOWS!! - 90% (Tip of the hat to 90's music)
Fantactic - 100% (Made of metal)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: August 14, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »
That's classic.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #557 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »
 :rollin

That scale blows! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #558 on: August 14, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
Motley Crue - Shout At the Devil

Songs:
-In the Beginning
-Shout at the Devil
-Looks That Kill
-Bastard
-God Bless the Children of the Beast
-Helter Skelter
-Red Hot
-Too Young to Fall in Love
-Knock 'Em Dead, Kid
-Ten Seconds to Love
-Danger

Never cared for this album myself.  But it was definitely a landmark.  Crue were the new "bad boys" of rock, and I don't think anyone else really contended--at least, nobody else who was nearly as huge a commercial success--until GnR came along. 

Notwithstanding that I didn't really like the album or the band as a whole, it did have some cool moments.  Mick's guitar tone was incredible.  And it really shone on the riffs in Looks That Kill and Too Young.  The solo in Too Young is also pretty killer.  I also liked the Beatles cover.  But overall, these guys weren't my thing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: August 14, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
I remember the buzz over the first Crew album.  We all bought it and while it was good, it had that "garage" recording feel to it.  Shout At The devil was polished.  Loud and dark which as a teen was right up my alley.