Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40133 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #490 on: August 08, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
Prince's music seems like it was always rooted in R&B, even when it rocked, so I get why his stuff might not have appealed to a lot of traditional rock fans. Heck, a lot of it doesn't appeal to me, but the stuff I like, I really like.  Purple Rain is greatness from start to finish.  On the flip side, a song like Kiss can be thrown into the sea where it can float away, never to be heard from again.

I loved the three hits from this Stryper album when they were getting played on MTV non-stop, but while I do not dislike any of them now, I rarely revisit them nowadays.  I had this cassette and do not remember the rest. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: August 08, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
If he's playing all the instruments on the album that to me is a musical genius.  Lets add engineer and producer hat as well.  It is impressive.  I may not dig all his music, doesn't mean he can't be a genius.

Yeah, I was being facetious of course. Enough people I respect think the world of him.

But honestly I couldn’t stand the guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #492 on: August 08, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
What difference does it make that they’re Christian?

Lyrical themes. I just don't dig songs about the Lord and salvation or just anything related to Christianity. Ironically I like a couple Theocracy songs in that vein but by and large, not my thing. Different strokes, what difference does it make that Rhapsody sings about dragons? Some people don't like dragons...

I love this Stryper album and the follow up. With the newer stuff  I can’t listen to them for more than a song or too as MS’s voice grates on me.

I am atheist but I’ve never had a problem with the lyrics as most of the time it sounds like a typical love song and if you didn’t know it was about god you wouldn’t guess. And when I sing along to more “satanic” lyrics I don’t believe in that either, so it’s all the same.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2019, 12:21:58 AM »
I never really listened to Stryper, they weren't that big in Germany I think and at that time I didn't really dig any band that was somehow connected to (christian) religion.

Nowadays I don't mind spiritual or outright christian lyrics as long as it isn't an endless sermon of praise Jesus, praise God etc. so maybe I will give Stryper a chance.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2019, 06:16:16 AM »
Prince-
Watch the last three minutes of https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #495 on: August 12, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Songs:
-Shout
-The Working Hour
-Everybody Wants to Rule the World
-Mothers Talk
-I Believe
-Broken
-Head over Heels
-Listen

This is one of those albums where I can put it on and, no matter what is going on, I am totally transported back in time to the '80s.  I mean, that isn't uncommon when listening to music from a certain era.  But there is something just...different about these songs in that regard.  I don't think it's possible for anyone who grew up in that era to hear a song from this album and not instantly smile. 

And I don't know what it is about this band.  I don't actually know a whole lot about them.  But it's very unusual how, for that initial 3-album run before they split, Smith and Orzabal could just come together every few years and just crank out some of the most memorable songs ever. 

Not sure what else to say.  I don't listen to this album very often.  But when I do, I just love every moment of it.  One of the best albums ever made in any genre, if you ask me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #496 on: August 12, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
Holy crap, this is the album I got as a kid that I ended up exchanging for Toto IV. Except I see the cover is black and white; I remember it being red on the version I had, but perhaps that was just the disc. Anyway, wow, I clearly have to play this. Putting this on the short list for today!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #497 on: August 12, 2019, 08:38:37 AM »
Plot twist!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #498 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
Prince-

Without looking... the guitar jam at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony - for George Harrison and Prince, among others - in 2004 (where's the guitar?!?!).

EDIT:  Nailed it.   If you're interested:  https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/tom-petty-and-others-tell-the-story-behind-princes-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:04:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #499 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
I didn't look either and figured it was the Purple Rain super bowl spot.  But turns out you were right, Stads.  :tup

Either way, dude can seriously play.  I mean, he's not playing Petrucci-level complexity.  Nowhere near it.  But he's very Gilmoure-esqe in terms of being able to squeeze every last bit of emotion and energy out of every single note he plays.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #500 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »

Songs:
-Shout
-The Working Hour
-Mothers Talk
-I Believe
-Broken
-Head over Heels
-Listen

This is one of those albums where I can put it on and, no matter what is going on, I am totally transported back in time to the '80s.  I mean, that isn't uncommon when listening to music from a certain era.  But there is something just...different about these songs in that regard.  I don't think it's possible for anyone who grew up in that era to hear a song from this album and not instantly smile. 

And I don't know what it is about this band.  I don't actually know a whole lot about them.  But it's very unusual how, for that initial 3-album run before they split, Smith and Orzabal could just come together every few years and just crank out some of the most memorable songs ever. 

Not sure what else to say.  I don't listen to this album very often.  But when I do, I just love every moment of it.  One of the best albums ever made in any genre, if you ask me.
yes, a great album. I love The Seeds Of Love too (even more than Big Chair, great songs and great players all around)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #501 on: August 12, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »
Prince-

Without looking... the guitar jam at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony - for George Harrison and Prince, among others - in 2004 (where's the guitar?!?!).

EDIT:  Nailed it.   If you're interested:  https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/tom-petty-and-others-tell-the-story-behind-princes-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo

I just fount this:
Per explicit instructions from Prince, Takumi (his guitar tech) stood in the front row and caught the guitar...and then promptly handed it to Oprah Winfrey. Prince was known to toss many a guitar over the years, but this one deserves its own place in the R&R Hall of Fame. And I'll bet Takumi never dropped a guitar even once in all those years.

After he tosses the guitar and just before he exits the stage with his Princely confidence, you can see him cast a quick glance in the direction of his faithful and beloved guitar tech.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
That's so cool and such a "Prince" thing to do (except for the Oprah Winfrey part; that seems a tad random to me, but oh well!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #503 on: August 12, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »
It’s actually a cool Oprah thing to do, except for the Prince part.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
I loved Shout, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World (the latter in no small part due to Real Genius) but never got much deeper in to Tears for Fears. They had cool videos, as I recall, which was often enough for me at the time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »

Fantastic album from excellent song writers and great musicians! I spin this album several times per year and it never gets old.

Their concerts were epic as well. They used a lot of these tunes for jumping off points into extended jams, which I just loved. I remember seeing quite a few of the more pop oriented fans wondering what the hell was going on when Everybody Wants to Rule the World would turn into a 20 minute song.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »

I understand there was a guitar under everyone's chair after the show!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #507 on: August 12, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
I remember being so upset that the greatest hits for TFF did not have the second part to  Head Over Heals called Broken.  When they came out with a remaster I bought it right away.  I owned all they albums but at the time only owned their Greatest Hits on CD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: August 12, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »
Is it or isn't it a concept record?  I know the meaning of "big chair" (Hint: "Sybil") but I've also read that the songs are a cycle about and related to scream therapy. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
Love me some Tears for Fears!

The three hits here are all great, and Mothers Talk and The Working Hour are favorites as well.  And of course, Listen is just an amazing tune. Crank that one up when driving at night and thank me later. :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #510 on: August 12, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »

Songs:
-Shout
-The Working Hour
-Mothers Talk
-I Believe
-Broken
-Head over Heels
-Listen

This is yet another album with songs that broke in the heyday of MTV and which I hated primarily because they weren't metal.  In retrospect, the three songs I know (Shout, Rule the World and Head over Heels) range from pretty good to great.

Prince-

Seen it before.  Huge meh.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: August 12, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »

I understand there was a guitar under everyone's chair after the show!

Since it was filmed on the first of the month, everyone was sitting on a string anyway..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: August 12, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »

Prince-

Seen it before.  Huge meh.

My 72-year old dad is not much of a fan of Prince, but even he thinks that solo is pretty great. 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #513 on: August 12, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »

Songs:
-Shout
-The Working Hour
-Mothers Talk
-I Believe
-Broken
-Head over Heels
-Listen

The little resurgence that Weezer brought to them this year made me realize I needed to buy this disc. Finally picked it up off eBay maybe 2 months ago. Not sure why I never bought it as I really loved every single from this album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2019, 01:27:32 AM »
Back to Prince: I've seen a lot of live footage where he plays some really cool guitar parts, then I listen to his studio records and ask myself, where's that cool guitar playing?

Tears For Fears: I never owned that record (I only own their greatest hits collection and Sowing The Seeds Of Love) but I know almost all of the songs from that one because it was played everywhere back then. Great band with great songs. This is pop music done extremely well and even though Shout is played to death I still can enjoy that tune everytime I hear it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
Back to Prince: I've seen a lot of live footage where he plays some really cool guitar parts, then I listen to his studio records and ask myself, where's that cool guitar playing?

It's there at times, but he was never a guy who was going to shoehorn a guitar solo into a song just as an excuse for him to show off.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses

Songs:
-Never Let Me Down Again
-The Things You Said
-Strangelove
-Sacred
-Little 15
-Behind the Wheel
-I Want You Now
-To Have and to Hold
-Nothing
-Pimpf

After Duran Duran, Depeche Mode was probably the second most popular band name you would find on any girl's book cover/folder in high school back in the '80s.  Sad to say that, given my tastes at the time, I probably would not have given these guys the time of day had I not had good friend Dave, who was heavily into new wave, love them so much.  He got me into them before this album dropped, so I was already into some of the older stuff.

This album saw them go for a broader commercial appeal.  And it worked.  Maybe this was yet another band on the sellout train.  But if the songs are solid--and these are--who cares?

I gave this album a lot of spins back in the day.  Outside the hits, I don't remember a lot of the songs anymore.  But Behind the Wheel probably remains my favorite. 

Although the band fully embraced more of a rock/alternative bent later on, they still relied heavily on synths and their new wave roots for this one.  Along those lines, my gf at the time took me to see them for my 18th birthday at the biggest of our local sheds back then.  We had lawn tickets (we were poor HS students, after all), and I have to say that, while I enjoyed the music, it remains one of the most boring shows I have ever attended.  As I recall, even the drums were synth/programmed at this stage in the band's history, so Martin (the singer) was the ONLY one of them who wasn't tied to one location for the entire show.  So you had three guys playing motionlessly, and Martin running around the stage trying to make up for it on mostly dark, brooding synth music where running around didn't really fit.  Still, the music was incredibly solid, as portrayed on the 1989 live release titled "101."  Speaking of which, I need to track down another copy of that album.  For anyone who likes this era of the band, it nicely captured a great mix of solid performances of songs from this album, as well as some classic older tunes like Blasphemous Rumours, Black Celebration, and A Question of Lust.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
What, Depeche Mode doesn't rock hard enough for you?  Okay, fine...

Let's stay in 1987.

Whitesnake - s/t (1987)

Songs:
-Crying in the Rain '87
-Bad Boys
-Still of the Night
-Here I Go Again '87
-Give Me All Your Love
-Is This Love
-Children of the Night
-Straight for the Heart
-Don't Turn Away

I was not on the Whitesnake train from the beginning.  But I hopped onboard at the Slide It In station after seeing them, along with Kick Axe, open for Quiet Riot on the Condition Critical tour.  I already knew they were masters of blues-based rock.  I already knew John Sykes was a guitar wizard.  I already knew...well, I already knew a lot.

This album dropped, and I was ready an' willing.  :biggrin:  Side 1 is as incredible a half an album as you could ask for.  I still crave the first four songs.  The updated Crying in the Rain is as epic an album opener as you can ask for in this genre.  Bad Boys fully rocks and keeps up the momentum to carry you to the big epic, which may just be Whitesnake's greatest song of all time:  Still of the Night.  Every second of this songs is amazing, from Sykes' classic, nasty riff, to Coverdale's sultry vocals (man, I just used "sultry" to describe a dude, and I'm not even feeling awkward), to that Zep-inspired (I don't care WHAT Coverdale says) violin bow solo, to THAT scream.  10/10 song that encapsulates the '80s to a tee.  Then the radio-friendly, but still incredibly well composed Here I Go Again to round it the first half.  Anything else is just gravy.  And while "side 2" isn't as strong as the first half, there is plenty to keep the listener interested.  (bosk1 fun fact:  Is This Love? was my second song that I used for a solo in my pop choir class senior year) 

I have to admit, I was confused when they started dropping videos, and John Sykes was nowhere to be found.  But what a lineup they compiled to tour this album!  I was fortunate enough to see them at a festival show with Jetboy, Poison, and Motley Crue, and Whitesnake definitely stole the show.  The solo tradeoff on Still of the Night between Adrian Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell was jaw dropping.  But the entire show was fantastic.  I get that Crue was the biggest thing around at the time.  But if Whitesnake and been the headliner, I don't think anyone in the crowd would have batted an eye.

By the way, going back to Sykes again, if you've never heard him live, check out his Screaming Blue Murder live album.  Dude can play AND sing!  Other than botching a lyric in Still of the Night, this is a fantastic performance.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:24:16 AM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
Why is the '87 included on those track titles? Was everyone so high in the 80s they forgot what year they were in?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #519 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
What, Depeche Mode doesn't rock hard enough for you?  Okay, fine...

Let's stay in 1987.

Whitesnake - s/t (1987)

Regarding Depeche Mode.  All I can say is that, in high school, my friends and I typically referred to them as "Douche Mode."  Of course, I vaguely know only one of their songs (People Are People), so....

Whitesnake is an album that I have fond memories of because my first "real" girlfriend absolutely loved it.  She lived with her mother in a small apartment, and we didn't really "go out" much.  Instead, we go out to the apartment complex's parking lot and sit in the back of my pickup truck (which was covered and carpeted!) and listen to music.  When this album came on, I knew it was fun time.

Musically, it's been a while since I've heard most of the songs.  Still of the Night was an absolute beast.  Probably the second best song released in 87.  Everything else was solid.

What's the deal with the "'87" after Crying in the Rain and Here I Go Again?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
Still of the Night...Probably the second best song released in 87.

Which is the best?

Those were songs written and released much earlier on earlier albums, but Coverdale re-did/updated them for this release since the band were just starting to take off in the U.S.  Keep in mind that they formed in '78 and had been going strong in the U.K./Europe for quite awhile over there, but were still underground in the U.S. until they started to break in maybe around '85. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Love me some Whitesnake.  But I don't own any of their albums (besides a greatest hits I had as a kid).  I know about half the album, and I'd imagine based on what I read from Bosk, the ones I don't know are probably pretty good songs too.  This band always seemed to have a good guitarist involved even if it was never the same one.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
Bosk is right as rain, but for those wanting more detail, both songs were originally released on "Saints 'n' Sinners" back in... '82 I think it was (it was the album right before Slide It In, and the last with Bernie Marsden and Ian Paice). 

I prefer Slide It In to '87, but '87 is a kick ass record, nonetheless. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
Still of the Night...Probably the second best song released in 87.

Which is the best?

Halloween by Helloween.

Those were songs written and released much earlier on earlier albums, but Coverdale re-did/updated them for this release since the band were just starting to take off in the U.S.  Keep in mind that they formed in '78 and had been going strong in the U.K./Europe for quite awhile over there, but were still underground in the U.S. until they started to break in maybe around '85.

Huh...I didn't know that, and I have ZERO recollection of the "87" appearing in the song titles.  The following from the Wikipedia article for Here I Go Again made me chuckle:  "The chorus of the original version features the lines:  'And here I go again on my own; Goin' down the only road I've ever known; Like a hobo I was born to walk alone.'  In an interview, Coverdale explained that 'hobo' was changed to 'drifter' in the re-recorded version to ensure that it would not be misheard as 'homo.'"

I had Slide It In before the s/t album came out, and I knew Whitesnake had several earlier albums, but I didn't know any of the material before Slide It In (another great album, by the way).  I recall seeing an ad in some magazine (maybe Circus) that read something like this:  "In Europe, bands like Dio and Iron Maiden open for Whitesnake.  Check them out!"  I always thought it was a rather amusing marketing ploy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:27:00 PM by pg1067 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
I saw the 87 tour with Dokken opening.  Great show.  Had a major crush on a girl I took.  Added to the night.  Hell of a night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC