Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40616 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #455 on: August 07, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
I like Megadeth, I like Rust In Peace but it's half-killer half-filler imo. Countdown and Youthanasia is where it's at for me. And I'm the odd one that likes United Abominations but thinks Endgame is seriously overrated.  ;D

PS: And I know who Frank Castle is.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2019, 08:14:31 AM »
Frank Castle would be pround.  :lol

Who is Frank Castle?  :lol

Seriously. I don't know who that is.

I guess the difference between TAC and me is that I googled it, but had I not done so, the picture wouldn't have helped me either.

F*** my old boots; I DID Google it, and I'm STILL with Tim.  (I was a DC kid growing up.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2019, 08:19:58 AM »
It's The Punisher. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief now.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2019, 08:23:31 AM »
 :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: August 07, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
It's The Punisher. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief now.  :lol

For clarity, I knew that when I made my last post.  Doesn't help if you didn't read the comic.  Go listen to a Moxy record!  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 07, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »

I really thought the iconic skull emblem on the shirt would do the trick. I mean, I see that emblem everywhere. On hats, shirts, trucks, tattoos... hell there's been several movies about him as well as a TV show. Not to mention the song (at least the last half) is famously about The Punisher.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: August 07, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »

I really thought the iconic skull emblem on the shirt would do the trick. I mean, I see that emblem everywhere. On hats, shirts, trucks, tattoos... hell there's been several movies about him as well as a TV show. Not to mention the song (at least the last half) is famously about The Punisher.

I've actually seen the logo around; that wasn't completely new (but I also didn't know it was his logo, so there's that).   I'm not a huge Megadeth fan, and never heard that album (I only have Cryptic Writings).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #462 on: August 07, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
I was a DC kid growing up.)

In light of your many failings, this one does not surprise me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #463 on: August 07, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
I'm not a huge Megadeth fan, and never heard that album (I only have Cryptic Writings).

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
I was a DC kid growing up.)

:rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: August 07, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
It's worse than you know:  my favorite character was the Green Lantern. 

(Though in my defense, it was always about the art; I LOVED Neal Adams and Jim Aparo, and they were DC guys, mostly.  I liked, not loved, Jack Kirby, though I was a big Steve Ditko fan.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #466 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:58 AM »
I figured someone would be nice enough to just tell me. So no, I didn't google it.

I assume it's some comic book hero.

I mean I watched THIS when I was a kid:

Superfriends were AWESOME!  If DC actually puts Marvin, Wendy and Wonderdog in the next Justice League movie, I might actually go see it.

Form of a blank slate.
Shape of water!

Marvin/Wendy/Wonderdog >>>>>> Zan/Jana/Gleek!

Also, I am not and never have been into comic books and also can't stand Megadeth.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #467 on: August 07, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
The untouchable golden age:  Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia, Hidden Treasures EP.  There is a progression toward being more accessible, but it worked.  These albums really are fantastic.

This pretty much nails it for me.  Rust being my favorite and Countdown a very close 2nd.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »
Stryper - To Hell with the Devil

Songs:
-Abyss (To Hell with the Devil)
-To Hell with the Devil
-Calling on You
-Free
-Honestly
-The Way
-Sing-Along Song
-Holding On
-Rockin' the World
-All of Me
-More Than a Man

I had heard of Stryper before this album.  But other than being "those black and yellow spandex dudes," they weren't really on my radar.  Well, like any self-respecting dude my age back then, I checked out this band because some girls I hung out with (and some girls I wanted to hang out with) were kind of into them.  Right off the bat, I was struck by a few things.

First, Michael Sweet could SING!  Man, what a voice!  The dude had incredible range and power.  Those familiar with the hits know he can sing high.  But what he does on songs like The Way and More Than a Man are just jaw-dropping.  I remain impressed to this day.  The one thing about him that was one factor that temporarily cooled me off on the band is just that his voice was just a bit too...ironically, "sweet."  In the last decade-plus, I feel like his voice has deepened just a bit and he has employed just a bit of grit that, to me, makes his voice more pleasing and more than makes up for the fact that he may not be able to hit all the highs as consistently in a live setting. 

Second, the songwriting in general is really tight on this album.  Like a lot of bands in this genre, Stryper also got a bit formulaic at times.  But this album is solid in terms of the writing.  This remains my favorite album of theirs (and probably the biggest overall fan favorite) because it is such a tight album from start to finish rather than a couple of hits and a bunch of filler. 

Third, the playing is top notch.  This isn't just a collection of hacks who could barely play their instruments and went out to bank on their looks to make a quick buck in Hollywood.  Yeah, they might not be a bunch of prodigies.  But to a member, they are solid players. 

Finally, I appreciated the positive and overtly spiritual lyrics.  I was not a Christian back then and was still figuring out my faith.  But I deeply appreciated the message behind their music, even on songs where I either did not fully understand or agree with where they were coming from.  And I like that, even aside from being overtly Christian, their point was "We see what is going on in society nowadays, and especially the excess and debauchery in the music industry, and we're taking a stand against that and promoting a different message."  I deeply respect that.

The one turn-off for me on this album and others of theirs is the backing vocals.  All the guys in the band can sing and have great voices.  But the harmonies they choose to utilize sound TOO much like church hymns.  And that is fine.  But, to me, it just doesn't quite match the tone for metal, even where the music is supposed to be upbeat and positive.  It just made it sound a bit too sanguine for my tastes and took away from the serious messages and cool guitar rock sound.  And while I know I'm not the only one to feel that way, I think I am definitely in the minority in the fan base.

Overall, this is one of my favorite albums from this time period.  It does sound a bit dated now, and is definitely a product of its time.  But as such, it is also a sonic sign of those times, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
Stryper - To Hell with the Devil

I briefly flirted with Stryper when Soldiers under Command came out.  At the time, the whole "is metal satanic?" thing was at its height, and Stryper was, if nothing else, a way to say, "suck it!" to those who rejected metal for this reason.  Soldiers under Command is an awesome song.  However, by the time THWTD came out, Stryper just seemed to cheesy and gimmicky -- sort of a one-trick pony -- so I never bought THWTD or any of their subsequent releases.  I heard the songs THWTD and Honestly on the radio but was not impressed.  After that, I don't recall any songs that got any airplay.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Can't do the Christian metal thing personally, but I know Stryper has their audience and a dedicated fanbase, so props to them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »
What difference does it make that they’re Christian?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »

Lyrical themes. I just don't dig songs about the Lord and salvation or just anything related to Christianity. Ironically I like a couple Theocracy songs in that vein but by and large, not my thing. Different strokes, what difference does it make that Rhapsody sings about dragons? Some people don't like dragons...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »

Being Christian isn't the issue.  John Petrucci is Christian.  For me, it's the singular focus on a particular subject.  It's the same reason I don't like most of Kiss's catalog

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2019, 10:09:32 AM »
I get you guys. 

I'll just say, for those that never dug deep on them, just spend 4 1/2 minutes on this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX29Ifg0-kw

Not trying to make you a fan, but I think seeing a live performance of THAT song will at least leave you able to appreciate what they can bring.  Worth it for THAT note at the end alone.  :omg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2019, 10:14:34 AM »

Lyrical themes. I just don't dig songs about the Lord and salvation or just anything related to Christianity. Ironically I like a couple Theocracy songs in that vein but by and large, not my thing. Different strokes, what difference does it make that Rhapsody sings about dragons? Some people don't like dragons...

Dragons are cool bro! Rhapsody? Notsomuch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: August 08, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »
I get you guys. 

I'll just say, for those that never dug deep on them, just spend 4 1/2 minutes on this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX29Ifg0-kw

Not trying to make you a fan, but I think seeing a live performance of THAT song will at least leave you able to appreciate what they can bring.  Worth it for THAT note at the end alone.  :omg:

Okay, that was cool. The speedy riff is my kind of thing, and the singing was impressive, especially at the end. Also really like how they pulled off the 'whoa-oh-oh' vocal part. I didn't understand anything he was singing, but listening to it just as a metal tune, that was pretty fun.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:33 AM »
I get you guys. 

I'll check it out, but just to be clear, I'm not suggesting there is any deficiency in their playing/singing abilities.  As a result of this thread, I discovered the existence of The Covering, and I definitely will be checking that out.  Some all-time great songs they chose to cover!  I just hope the album cover isn't an indication of the quality of the recordings!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
It's a pretty good covers album, as long as you are cool with covers albums.  They really bring it, especially vocally.

And, yes, the cover art is dreadful.  Can't say I am a fan of their cover art in general. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #479 on: August 08, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »

Being Christian isn't the issue.  John Petrucci is Christian.  For me, it's the singular focus on a particular subject.  It's the same reason I don't like most of Kiss's catalog

Yeah I should’ve phrased that better. I meant a “Christian “ band, not actually being a “Christian “.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: August 08, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »
Stryper just seemed to cheesy and gimmicky -- sort of a one-trick pony -- so I never bought ...any of their ... releases. 

Sorry for the edit, but that's how I felt.  I thought the same thing about King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.  I have no problem with spiritual lyrics (I actually find Tony Banks and Jon Anderson's lyrics to be very "christian" in the general sense of the word).  It's the gimmicky part that I don't like (said the fan of Kiss and Twisted Sister).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #481 on: August 08, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Catching up a little.

Purple Rain is the most genius album by a genius performer.  Legit one of the greatest albums ever recorded, regardless of genre.  No weak songs, it is all killer, no filler.  Fun fact: there is no bass on When Doves Cry.

Never liked Megadeth or Stryper.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #482 on: August 08, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
Never liked Prince. I have never heard anything by him that I would  consider genius. Maybe there’s some deep cuts but the radio hits never did anything for me.

I hate his voice. He’s literally the little Dr Pepper dude.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: August 08, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
Never liked Prince. I have never heard anything by him that I would  consider genius. Maybe there’s some deep cuts but the radio hits never did anything for me.

Prince is dope and Purple Rain is dope. Shit slaps, bro.

But calling him Li'l Sweet is hilarious.  :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #484 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »

LOL!  I've always thought "Lil Sweet" was the love child of Prince and Steven Tyler.  In reality, he's the guy who was the runner-up to Kelly Clarkson in the first season of American Idol.

As far as Prince, I'm in the same boat, and the "genius" thing never made much sense to me.  I remember when he died and folks were crowing about how he played 25 instruments on some album.  The reality was that he played six different guitars, five basses, eight keyboard instruments, drums and a dozen random percussion instruments.  It was sort of like when Rush listed the instrumentation for Alex as 6- and 12-string electric and acoustic guitars and all of Neil's dozen or so percussion instruments.  Like it wasn't enough to say he played guitars, bass, keys and drums/percussion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: August 08, 2019, 01:29:30 PM »
^^ Holy crap, it's Justin Guarini? That's insane. I never made the connection. Wow.

Prince I think was a legitimate musical genius and he wasn't afraid to push boundaries and give the middle finger to sticking to norms and traditional approaches to music. He was always doing something new and he never stopped writing. I really can't think of many other musicians who can go toe-to-toe with his wildly varied discography or even come close to the amount of stuff he made, and that's just counting what he had published, not what's in the Vault. And I haven't even heard 25% of his releases. He died way too soon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
If he's playing all the instruments on the album that to me is a musical genius.  Lets add engineer and producer hat as well.  It is impressive.  I may not dig all his music, doesn't mean he can't be a genius.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline T-ski

« Reply #487 on: August 08, 2019, 01:44:36 PM »

LOL!  I've always thought "Lil Sweet" was the love child of Prince and Steven Tyler.  In reality, he's the guy who was the runner-up to Kelly Clarkson in the first season of American Idol.

this amazes me.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: August 08, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
If he's playing all the instruments on the album that to me is a musical genius.  Lets add engineer and producer hat as well.  It is impressive.  I may not dig all his music, doesn't mean he can't be a genius.   

I'm tempted to consider him more of a "creative genius" than a musical one, in much the same way I feel about Bowie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 08, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »

I'm tempted to consider him more of a "creative genius" than a musical one, in much the same way I feel about Bowie.

I get that but I would say you think that because you don't like their music.  Most would say you are wrong.

I've always loved musical chameleons. Plant, Simon, Gabriel, Bowie and in this day and age, Steven Wilson.  I always wanted Prince to rock more but I can't deny the genius.